Euro 2012 thread

14567810»

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    SHOTS FIRED.

Enter the Fantasy League next season bro so I can school you on football.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    skel said:
    the issue, which is Spain might be winning for all to see, but evidently not 'victorious' in any sense that matters to many of us.
    lol, England fans

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I don't watch football for the winning, just for the hope of being thrilled.

Really, what else matters?

My judgement is that Spain hold no hope of thrilling.
    I'm happy for you that you get kicks from watching them.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    It's pretty unfair to characterise Skel as an England fan, he's quite open about never watching friendlies or qualifiers.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    skel said:

and who can/should change that ? Spain or their opponents ?
    they seem to have elaborated the perfect formula. How about someone comes up with the antidote...

How about they use their undoubted talent to lift neutrals out of their seats?

Brazil 82 will be remembered long after Spain 12 are forgotten.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    damms said:
    skel said:

and who can/should change that ? Spain or their opponents ?
    they seem to have elaborated the perfect formula. How about someone comes up with the antidote...

Chelsea and Inter already came up with an antidote to Barcelona (aka Spain + Messi/Dani Alves). Oh wait, I suppose that was all "anti-football" tactics.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    skel said:
    How about they use their undoubted talent to lift neutrals out of their seats?
    the bolded is a contradiction
    a fan would get up from their seat.
    a neutral watcher might just

anyway, let's just leave that on the back of "It's a matter of taste..." and move on

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    1000fm said:

Chelsea and Inter already came up with an antidote to Barcelona (aka Spain + Messi/Dani Alves). Oh wait, I suppose that was all "anti-football" tactics.
    we're discussing national teams. focus
    and the bolded is false anyway. and Abidal and Villa injuries hurt Barcelone a lot this year.

• I wonder if Brasil '82 playing hapless minnows such as Scotland and New Zealand has contributed to the enduring perception of them as a creative force?

I'd like to think that if Italy had won yesterday, with Balotelli scoring an identical goal to SIlva's first and Pirlo putting through a through ball identical to Xavi's for the second, that people would be bemoaning the tedious nature of the Italians.

damms said:
    1000fm said:

and the bolded is false anyway.

Spain use Barca's playing style with usually about 7 of their players in the starting line up, it's a pretty valid comparison.

and Abidal and Villa injuries hurt Barcelone a lot this year.

lol

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The way I see it is that there are two contemporary styles of Spanish football.

One where they use their amazing technical abilities and fast passing tiki taka to carve open the worlds best defences, that we saw last night and in most good Barca games.

Then there's the tiki taka carousel of boredom. This is the Spanish equivalent of parking the bus anti-football, in which they use their incredible skill to just endlessly pass the ball back and forth till they've sucked the life out the game. This is the Spain we saw for the group games and the majority of Euro 2012.
    As Arsene Wenger said "..they have betrayed their philosophy and turned it into something more negative. Originally they wanted possession in order to attack and win the game; now it seems to be first and foremost a way not to lose."
    I put this down to Bosque being over cautious; insisting on playing two DMs, no striker and generally not making the most of the rich pool of talent he's been given.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I think people don't want to give Spain their propers because it's obvious that if Spain were to really let their offense go and not play so cautiously they really could be more exciting than Brazil '82 or whoever you care to throw out there. But they don't and it's frustrating to watch.

They are the equivalent of Lennox Lewis, if he had ever used all of the talent and physical gifts he had he might have gone down as one of the great heavyweights, but he was content to win cautiously and not put himself at too much risk. If he had let his fists fly with more abandon he would have been a lot more fun to watch, but he didn't and I personally cheered against him every thim he fought because of it.

I like Spain though. That second goal was beautifully set up.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    skel said:
    Brazil 82 will be remembered long after Spain 12 are forgotten.

can't see this Spain team ever being forgotten as long as football is played.

Not taking sides but I agree with the peps on here who are saying how can anyone call themselves a fan of football and not marvel at how Spain play. It's a joy to watch. Most enjoyable 4-0 game I've seen in a while.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    1000fm said:
    damms said:
    1000fm said:

Spain use Barca's playing style with usually about 7 of their players in the starting line up, it's a pretty valid comparison.
    No it's not.
    1000fm said:

lol
    and I forgot to add Vald??s might be the dumbest goalkeeper Ive ever watched play. He's been absolutely terrible in the C1. And to think he's 2nd to Cassillas in the national team ? Man Barcelone needs to get rid of him

Risingson said:

Not taking sides but I agree with the peps on here who are saying how can anyone call themselves a fan of football and not marvel at how Spain play..

I'm sure you're not a troll, and am sure you're an intelligent dude.

So why do you think a large section of viewers are not enamoured by Spain?

Serious question.

damms said:
    1000fm said:
    damms said:
    1000fm said:

No it's not.
    1000fm said:

lol
    and I forgot to add Vald??s might be the dumbest goalkeeper Ive ever watched play. He's been absolutely terrible in the C1. And to think he's 2nd to Cassillas in the national team ? Man Barcelone needs to get rid of him

Barcelona has a rich tradition of shitty goalkeepers, it's part of their club culture.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Well, that has already been established. They/we don't know anything about the game.

The funny thing is this isn't just a football thing. The style of play bores me in hockey as well. Its mostly the reason they instituted a 24 second violation in basketball. It sucks the life out of the match. It's cool when goals are being scored, but if they are not...

This works for Spain and you shouldn't change something that works extremely well and wins you championships. But I doubt a single one of you would be advocating that all teams should playing this style. I think the booing at matches when Spain kicks into high gear with this is enough.

Mind you, the final match was no where near the level of their other games at euro. Believe it or not, Italy still had a pretty even possession %.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    And now I enjoy the BBC Euro2012 closing credits.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

:game_over: Amazing passing sequence starts at the 6:20 mark,how could anyone see that as boring! it's beyond quizzical to me.

• It's mainly people not liking Champions.
    Steve Davis, Steven Hendry, Pete Sampras all became "boring" because they kept winning too.

• It's mainly people not liking Champions.
    Steve Davis, Steven Hendry, Pete Sampras all became "boring" because they kept winning too.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    damms said:

but they don't hear me though