Euro 2012 thread

The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central

I'd be one ecstatic fuckker if England won. But happy if they just beat the French in the first game.

Probably a German or Spanish winner. I'd be cool with a Netherlands win in the final.

But maybe the fact that Fat Frank is out will somehow magically change England's international performances.

Wasn't sure if there was need for a Euro Cup thread...

I'd say yes!

If Holland don't beat Denmark tomorrow they might as well go home. There's been some heated discussion for a while now in the Netherlands over the choice to drop Huntelaar in favor of Van Persie up front, it's been messing up the preparation for the tournament big time and I'm sure there's gonna be some more drama to come. Besides that, our defence is looking really weak, as usual. Afellay is the man to watch!

Anyway, Russia was looking pretty good tonight, enjoyable game! My money's on Spain for another tournament win though.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Pavlyuchenko's strike this evening is nailed on to be one of the goals of the tournament.

Everywhere we went tonight, the football was on and the city was bubbling. Berlin does it big when the Euros come around.

I can see a Germany/Spain final, with Holland being there or thereabouts. I don't want to rule out Italy either - it seems that every time they go into a tournament off the back of a match-fixing scandal, they win the fucking thing.

England will get out of their group. They'll beat France, and they won't lose to either Ukraine or Sweden. After that, it's hard to imagine things unfolding a whole lot differently from the way they usually do.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Poland vs Greece match.

Both games were actually pretty damn entertaining tho.

I just don't want either France or Portugal to win.

Any chance for any lowly ranked team to pull off an upset like Greece in 2004? I'd be down to see the Irish win.

OK fuck all that. England!!!

• I'm not a massive football fan, however this tournament is responsible for this gem:

:next_level:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DOR said:

Both games were actually pretty damn entertaining tho.

Agreed. Russia looked very good. Annoying watching Arshavin playing like he gives a f*ck though!

Huntelaar over Van Percy? Percy's goals actually dried-up near the end of this season so maybe Huntelaar isn't such a bad pick.

I'm going with wins for the Dutch & the Germans.

DocMcCoy said:

Everywhere we went tonight, the football was on and the city was bubbling. Berlin does it big when the Euros come around.

That's because the fuckers are always in with a serious chance of winning! (World or Euro)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Wake me up when the QFs are on.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pavlyuchenko!!!!!!!!!!! he is near the top of all time russian scorers if you can believe that
    yeah arshavin was making precise passes and orchestrated a couple of goals

poland game was great

i predicted germany/spain but i have no confidence in el nino and villa leaves a glaring hole
    i think soldado/llorente would have been a better fit but we will see how mata links up with one touch fail torres
    e &
    today is an epic sports day netherlands/denmark, germany/portugal,argentina/brasil and (blasphemy) celtics/heat game7!!!

spain italy will reveal a lot tommorow..striker problems vs staunch defending and cassano could pull out some magic
    but the italy squad was very shaky last time around

• No way Italy will win the whole thing.

Great games this weekend - Ireland v Croatia will be a great one too.

• dooblez

• raised very german in canada. to support another country in euro (even mother's sweden) would be blasphemy.

as usual, wee are mentioned for our strength and defense but underestimated on ability to strike.

im just watching to see who comes in second.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Not exactly a sleeper, but I have a gut feeling that the French will do better than expected, like semi-finals.

Oranje don't look very inspired right now, I'd pin it on having both Van Bommel and De Jong on the pitch.

Russia looked really good, I was reading that 6 of the starting line-up also start for Zenit, so that makes sense. I think it will be helpful for the group stages and was it Dzagoev who looked really good? There were holes all over that Czech defense though.

I don't think Spain will make the Finals. I think they are finally getting worn down.

• Van Bommel is awful. He'll start the dirty stuff soon.

VDV would fit in better and give the Dutch more imagination.

• edulus said:
    Russia looked really good, I was reading that 6 of the starting line-up also start for Zenit, so that makes sense.

I'm thinking that the six Liverpool players called up for England might have a different effect...

• neil_something said:
    edulus said:
    Russia looked really good, I was reading that 6 of the starting line-up also start for Zenit, so that makes sense.

I'm thinking that the six Liverpool players called up for England might have a different effect...

I believe that to be my thoughts too!

The Dutch were pretty greedy again. How many times did someone shoot when they could have passed?

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Van Bommel is awful. He'll start the dirty stuff soon.

VDV would fit in better and give the Dutch more imagination.

Normally yeah, but VDV was terrible tonight, as was Van der Wiel.

The best way to play up front would be

Huntelaar

Afellay Van Persie Robben

Sneijder Van Bommel

Anyway, we were trying way too hard tonight, disappointing, but not totally unexpected.

• Is Elias injured??

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    edulus said:

I don't think Spain will make the Finals. I think they are finally getting worn down.

puyol and villa casualties are a huge deal for them. they still have the best mid field in the whole world. if cesc, silva and ramos step up, i see them in the finals, though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Considering the Dutch had four recognised strikers on the park by the end (incl. Kuyt), I think the Danes deserve at least a little credit for being well-organised at the back and pretty quick to get forward when they were in possession. Olsen obviously set 'em up not to lose, but by the end they could have had a second.

Arjen Robben is still a massive cunt, I notice.

First half of Germany/Portugal was a bit dull apart from Pepe hitting the bar, but Portugal appear to be lacking a bit of creativity in the middle of the park. They look less impressive a footballing side than they have in previous tournaments of recent times. Figo's shoes obviously take some filling.

• I think Denmark have been unfairly characterised as the weakest team in that group. I'm pretty sure they beat Portugal twice in qualification? If anything it is them (Portugal) who are going to be the whipping boys of the group...

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Just wanted to note that I really like the ideas that are being presented by the formations of the Italian and Spanish sides. Lots of midfielders (also their deepest pool of talent), lots of possession by Spain, and also the same by Italy using the formation that gets their best talent on the pitch, and in places where I think they will be effective.

neil_something said:
    I think Denmark have been unfairly characterised as the weakest team in that group. I'm pretty sure they beat Portugal twice in qualification? If anything it is them (Portugal) who are going to be the whipping boys of the group...

Oh no doubt! They played very organized. All credit to the Danes.

Spain should at least put an actual striker up front. If not Torres, then at least Llorente. Iniesta's been the only one to create something during the first half.

1000fm said:
    neil_something said:
    I think Denmark have been unfairly characterised as the weakest team in that group. ..

Well all four teams in that group are in the world top ten ranking, and Denmark are #9.

So on that basis they are the weakest team,

B/w YES

And LOL at Platini's mexiwave effort.

Bastard.

• skel said:
    1000fm said:
    neil_something said:
    I think Denmark have been unfairly characterised as the weakest team in that group. ..

Well all four teams in that group are in the world top ten ranking, and Denmark are #9.

So on that basis they are the weakest team,

Who are #10?

(Hint: it's Portugal)

Van Halen?

Balotelli.....what a klutz.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Was Balotelli high on that break away?

Even Torres seemed like a zombie holding on too long.

Irish up next.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DOR said:

Hahahaaaa! Quality.
    I was hoping to see Van Percy score a few. If he's going to leave Arsenal, I'd like the club to get a decent price for him. Was slightly heartened by a quote from his father that he'd never play for any other team in the Prem.

RE: inter-Brit hatt. Was supporting the Irish last night. As they fell behind and reverted to hoof-ball, my friend turned to me and said that this was merely preparation for the England game. :whycry:

A Belgian paper called it:

"Egoland 0 - Legoland 1"

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Ireland flopped it last night, their Euro 2012 campaign lasted about 2 minutes. Fair play to Modric and them though, hopefully he does come to United.

Portugal need to play that N??lson Oliveira from the start and put an end to the Postiga era. While I appreciate their cautious approach against the ruthless counter of the Germans, their midfield was way too deep and not getting the ball out to Nani/Ronaldo quickly enough.