Visiting Houston, Texas.

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I am going to be in Houston October 3-8th for a conference with work. Any tips on bars/restaurants/sights/etc worth checking out would be much appreciated!
Pertinent Info:
I do not know how much free time I will have to really explore the city, but most of my nights should be free.
I will most likely have work folk with me, which limits the record digging side of the trip, as I don't want to drag them to shops.

I also think I still have the option of extending my flight plans a little and sticking around in the city for a few days. Is this recommended? I have no idea if Houston is cool or what.

Comments

• Options
    Houston has old fashion saloons downtown. I would go there and possibly the Astrodome to see the sights. I hear there is good BBQ close to the Astrodome, however; when I was there I ate at the Olive Garden.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's the Astrodome, homie.

Some restaurants close to downtown that I would recommend include: Brennan's, Papadeaux's, and Niko Niko's.

For cold beers: West Alabama Ice House.

But all you really gotta do for fun is drive up and down Allen Parkway bumping this:

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    OK.

I have packed some Project Pat.

I did not know the south did BBQ.

This is the kind of Soulstrutknowledge?? I was looking for!

BeatChemist said:
    OK.

I have packed some Project Pat.

I did not know the south did BBQ.

This is the kind of Soulstrutknowledge?? I was looking for!

Fat Pat, son. Project Pat is from Memphis.

And you did not know the South does BBQ?????

I'm kidding.

Whew.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Mexican food and A/C, the 2 best things in Houston.

• Mexican food...it's a must. Ninfa's on Navigation is some of the best I've ever had. Though if you're a large person good luck using the bathrooms there.

As for BBQ I'm a big fan of Goode & Co. on Kirby Dr. Cafeteria style w/ beers on ice, picnic tables outside, kitschy decor inside, what's not to like. Their seafood restaurant just a little off Kirby is also excellent.

I'm not a big fan of downtown Houston AT ALL and I'd avoid the bar scene there. I much prefer the area around Rice U (not far from Goode & Co.) if you want a more happening, younger crowd. Drink Shiner Bock & other Shiner beers when available...much better than Lone Star.

Cosign on Ninfa's, as snarky as my post was, I was serious about the Mexican food.

Houston has become known for great Vietnamese food as well.

• BearClaw said:
    however; when I was there I ate at the Olive Garden.

ALIAS, REVEAL THYSELF

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Houston has become known for great Vietnamese food as well.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how hot is it in houston right now
    really need to make it out there some time now that i can just do some weekend jump easy

• The Menil Collection is one of the best art experiences I've ever had. The Twombly gallery is such a killer.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    If you like good beer, hit up Petrol Station. They have good burgers too.

http://houston.taplister.com/bar/show/1942-the-petrol-station

• gareth said:
    The Menil Collection is one of the best art experiences I've ever had. The Twombly gallery is such a killer.

Cosign

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oh man - If you have time, get on a train, go see this and then come back and tell me all about it.

Lucian Freud at Fort Worth

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, i can't wait to go see the lucien freud. wish it was in dallas so i wouldn't have to drive my lazy ass all the way out there

Thanks for the info everyone!

jdeez Etta's may be a little too real for some of my coworkers. And I think I fly out on the Sunday...

Thanks for the tip on Ninfa's the_hook_up and spirit_of_66! I will definitely try to get there!

Garreth and Basie - good looks on the art info. Won't make it out to Fort Worth, but I will for sure be checking out the Menil Collection. Just did a little googling on it and it seems quite awesome.

Menil Collection and Ninfa's are on my must see list now. In that order.

The other manager I'm rooming with is quite a beer fan, so more beer-related info would be appreciated! Good local micro-breweries? On the Shiner site now... Bock sounds good as does their Bohemian Black. Petrol Station seems like a spot roomie will enjoy as well.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    BeatChemist said:

The other manager I'm rooming with is quite a beer fan, so more beer-related info would be appreciated! Good local micro-breweries? On the Shiner site now... Bock sounds good as does their Bohemian Black. Petrol Station seems like a spot roomie will enjoy as well.

Do a brewery tour at Karbach
    http://www.karbachbrewing.com/tours/brewery-tours

• bassie said:
    Oh man - If you have time, get on a train, go see this and then come back and tell me all about it.

Lucian Freud at Fort Worth

Got to see it twice already. Favorite: Pencil sketch (the only pencil drawing in the show) of Francis Bacon.

his 80s - early 2000s stuff doesn't do much for me. When paintings deprive themselves of psychology content, the better. Early portrait stuff, on the other hand, straight up outstanding...

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    billbradley said:
    BeatChemist said:

Do a brewery tour at Karbach
    http://www.karbachbrewing.com/tours/brewery-tours
    Co-sign

Also, St. Arnolds has a tour/tasting and it's very close to downtown:
    http://www.saintarnold.com/tours/index.html

A couple Beer snob bars include:
    http://www.haymerchant.com/
    http://mongooseversuscobra.com/

I live in Houston, so feel free to PM

Not to change the subject...but Fort Worth has the best Art Museums in the country outside of New York and Chicago...must see if you are ever in the area. Also 100 times more culture than Dallas...just sayin

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Not to change the subject...but Fort Worth has the best Art Museums in the country outside of New York and Chicago...must see if you are ever in the area. Also 100 times more culture than Dallas...just sayin

More culture than Dallas? Why, because of the museums? They're fantastic, and smack Dallas' sad art scene, but what makes Ft. Worth culturally better than Dallas, aside from the museums?

youknowyouknow said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

More culture than Dallas? Why, because of the museums? They're fantastic, and smack Dallas' sad art scene, but what makes Ft. Worth culturally better than Dallas, aside from the museums?

The fact that fort worth doesn't tear down every old building to put up some new shopping monstrosity, the stockyards, the cowboys of color, a rich jazz history... Just to name a few things. Dallas has a serious inferiority complex and is always trying to remedy it by being Los Angeles Jr.

Expand fellas. I want to have some inter-city gossip to talk about with locals.

I sadly won't have time to go to Fort Worth. Luckly I am fairly inept in my culture game, so I think I'll be good in Houston.

• Options
    410 Bagby St. is the address of the downtown aquarium.

• Dallas has a serious inferiority complex and is always trying to remedy it by being Los Angeles Jr.

I agree. However, with the newly built Wiley Theater (a beautiful Rem Koolhaas design) and various other plans in the works for the downtown art district, Dallas appears to be swinging in the up direction. No doubt though, Dallas has a strong wanna-be L.A. vibe. As someone born and raised in Los Angeles and currently living in Dallas, it's not entirely hyperbolic to say, Dallas has L.A's negatives and very few of its positives.

Ft. Worth . . . if i'm not going through records at Doc's or looking at art then I'm probably not spending time there; can't fuck with spending a day at the stockyards or walking around downtown - the square, or whatever it's called.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    aye beatchemist,

just so you know, houston and the dallas/fort worth metroplex are WORLDS apart, and i don't mean in distance only. i don't know why everyone's talking about dallas in a houston thread.

that is all.