Frank Ocean.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:

blog bombshell >> NY Times profile >> Fallon appearance >> #1 iTunes download.

the album release week marketing cipher is complete.

Brilliant campaign management right there. Text book, really. I didn't even know who this guy was until very recently.

As for the idea that being gay will kill his career, I think if his sound has mass-appeal, he will do quite well.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    day said:

Thou doth protest too much, me thinks.

Haha! Nice. The thing is, I'm not protesting at all. I've said my piece. Others want to make more out of it than it is.

Think what you want.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

man, such terrible looks in this thread.

Honestly, I think there was just one terrible look

I'm counting individual posts here!

CousinLarry said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Honestly, I think there was just one terrible look, everyone else seemed fairly sensible. So far I like what I have heard of the new LP.

Honestly, the terrible look is yours.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

For those who aren't too scared of catching gay cooties

I don't think anyone feels that way. If people want to ascribe ideas to me that I haven't advocated for, there's not much I can do about it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    CousinLarry said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Honestly, I think there was just one terrible look, everyone else seemed fairly sensible. So far I like what I have heard of the new LP.

Honestly, the terrible look is yours.

Bon Vivant said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

For those who aren't too scared of catching gay cooties

I don't think anyone feels that way. If people want to ascribe ideas to me that I haven't advocated for, there's not much I can do about it.

man, I'm not even remotely interested in hashing this out with you. your posts throughout this thread, replete with their bogus stereotypes and wink-wink lockerroomisms, speak for themselves.

I am being tongue-in-cheek (yo! NO HOMO BRAH!), above.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Some people here think FO isn't going to do a single song about it. Bizarre.

Actually, most people here don't give a fuck. Love between two people plays out pretty much the same no matter what their private parts look like. And good music is good music. That Ocean may use "he" or "him" in a song isn't really a big deal. It's not gross, it's not a personal threat and it's acknowledging the oodles of people whose lives and loves have up to very recently been totally ignored in music, movies and television.

It also seems you are having a difficult time differentiating between (gay) love and (gay) sex.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    bassie said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Love between two people plays out pretty much the same no matter what their private parts look like. And good music is good music....

Thank you.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    parallax said:
    bassie said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Love between two people plays out pretty much the same no matter what their private parts look like. And good music is good music....

Thank you.

bassie said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Actually, most people here don't give a fuck. Love between two people plays out pretty much the same no matter what their private parts look like. And good music is good music. That Ocean may use "he" or "him" in a song isn't really a big deal. It's not gross, it's not a personal threat and it's acknowledging the oodles of people whose lives and loves have up to very recently been totally ignored in music, movies and television.

It also seems you are having a difficult time differentiating between (gay) love and (gay) sex.

I also think the music isn't good. Does that make people feel better? I've never said I feel personally threatened, nor did I say it's gross. People in this thread are having a huge issue with claiming I'm saying things I haven't even come close to saying. I understand that using "he" or "him" isn't really a big deal. I'm not the one who is making it one. I understand that there are oodles of homophobes out there. I'm not one of them. In fact, I've said repeatedely that I think it's cool that FO is doing his thing.

People want to latch onto the fact that I said gay love is not my preferred subject matter. What is wrong with that? Do I have to like every single song ever made?

[ wink-wink lockerroomisms,

My bad. I forgot that this was such an serious issue. Pardon me for trying to keep the discussion light and humorous.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

People want to latch onto the fact that I said gay love is not my preferred subject matter. What is wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing. And I like how you're standing firm (ahem).
    As you now know, when you go against the SS grain, you will catch a lot of shit.

BV is just sayin he doesn't like songs with gay subject matter.
    So what. Let it be.

BV I think you're wrong when you say he has already peaked, however.

• this LP is incredible, as was Nostalgia Ultra

i'm not gay, but i think i prefer it that he is gay/bi/whatever

Frank is straight up super talented and super a interesting character

the fact he had the courage to come out like this just strengthens his character in my opinion

how many artists can you really believe in these days?

at least you know he's fucking feeling what he's talking about

even if it is bums ;)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    From a selfishly musical pov, it's better if artists struggle for a while with the shall I / shan't I come out dilemma.

George Michael made some timeless pop music in the pre period, and come Faith it was pretty much gone.

Being comfortable in one's skin does not often great art make.

As for Bon Vivant, this thread has all the classic hallmarks of herd mentality, ganging up for a kicking of dude honestly voicing an opinion which contains nothing he can be strung up for.

Have some empathy FFS

For BV, sometimes it might pay to take a step out of the zone and ask: am I courageously swimming against the tide or am I just refusing to concede just because I refuse to be bested?

Hubris has a habit of being rewarded by the universe, on both sides of this discourse.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    I still don't understand what is so grandiose about admitting to liking taking it in the butt. girls ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    @BATMON

Frank Ocean vs. Maxwell.... discuss

not just in terms of music and talent but in terms of being ones self and career trajectory. GO

Singing Ability > Being oneself.

This kid doesnt impress me. He'll be long forgotton but will open up the doors for the next kid who does it from jump and not for an album promo.

Sylvester anyone?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    @BATMON

Frank Ocean vs. Maxwell.... discuss

not just in terms of music and talent but in terms of being ones self and career trajectory. GO

Singing Ability > Being oneself.

This kid doesnt impress me. He'll be long forgotton but will open up the doors for the next kid who does it from jump and not for an album promo.

Sylvester anyone?

Dude made a name for himself long before any mention of his sexuality. Also, if I understand it correctly, it was the media (bloggers?) who first brought attention to this after reporting that a couple songs they heard at the Channel Orange listening party specifically referenced "him, he, etc." and THEY'RE the ones who said "Wait...is Frank Ocean gay??" He then posted the letter that started this thread as his own way of clarifying the rumors.

Anyways, Batmon, those little red dots that show up under "forgotton" mean something, you know. ;-)

The liner notes on the digital version make no mention of the "Little Miss Lover" drums sampled on "Crack Rock." Neither in the sample section nor in the composer/written by area. Possible "oof!" or handled behind-the-scenes?

Also, I love that they sampled (and credited) a very minor dojo practice scene from The Last Dragon.

that earl sweatshirt verse is wack. it adds nothing to the track.
    is FO really part of the whole "odd future collective"? lame.
    them clowns bring him down.

great album, otherwise.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Was a little disappointed with the album on first listen since I'm a HUGE fan of his previous output, but the Jimmy Fallon performance sold me on the "Bad Religion" song and now I'm warming up to the rest of the album on second and third listen. I just think if he'd have taken the best from Channel Orange and put it with some of the best songs from the Lonny Breaux Collection he would've had a bonafied classic (maybe it still will be regarded as a classic, who knows... only time will tell I guess). Regardless, I'm proud as hell of the man. It's time for everybody to come out of their closets, gay and straight alike, and say "f**k you" to whoever don't like it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i had no idea obama supporters hated gay ppl. not a good look bv

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Not to read into it too much (too late?), but part of the liner notes were in the same style -- all caps in Apple's TextEdit program -- than the letter, and I guess that lends to the argument that it was a calculated move. You could also say that he might have known questions would arise due to the album's content, and prepare for that event. Doesn't really matter. Still getting into the album but so far Side A seems short and sweet while Side B is that fuego.

The song with John Mayer kinda has a Shuggie Otis vibe

Phill With 2 Ls said:
    best songs from the Lonny Breaux Collection

wasn't this like a shit ton of tracks?
    does anybody have one cds worth of the best tracks?
    would love to have a tracklist of the more notable ones.

and ha good call on the shuggie.

white_tea said:
    Not to read into it too much (too late?), but part of the liner notes were in the same style -- all caps in Apple's TextEdit program -- than the letter, and I guess that lends to the argument that it was a calculated move. You could also say that he might have known questions would arise due to the album's content, and prepare for that event. Doesn't really matter. Still getting into the album but so far Side A seems short and sweet while Side B is that fuego.

I think it was supposed to be in the liner notes, but I don't seem them in the digital booklet. Maybe it'll be in the physical copy?

How do you determine Side A from Side B on digital files?

Like Phill I was kind of let down on the first listen, but subsequent listens were very rewarding. Really dig where he's coming from, beautiful songs man

That Fallon performance is some goosebumps shit. Dude's got a ton of heart. First televised performance ever and he's singing about another guy.

Uhh... I just started Side B on "Pyramids"

Yeah pretty sure "Forest Gump" is about a dude but #ayo it's kinda bangin' ... seriously very pretty summer tune, big time!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Ocean for the win.