TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Drogba has sealed his reputation as one of the world's deadliest strikers. He sunk Barcelona and was pivotal in the final. Ashley Cole has to be the best left back of his generation. Never liked Chelsea, but admire what they've done since sacking AVB... best part is that they managed to win the Champs league in spite of that twat Terry, not because of him.

Definitely the most entertaining season of football in the Prem era.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The worlds greatest players have always had a bit of cuntliness about them, but the correlation is not foolproof, or Terry would be GOAT.

• soulcitizensoulcitizen 304 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Agreed.

Last nights last kick of the ball from Drogba
    Amazing City win in injury time to steal the title when Utd thought they'd won, seeing Ferguson's face when they realised they hadn't - priceless
    The battle at the bottom on the final day
    Arsenals comeback and the strange Spurs decline, then last night meaning no Champions league

Can't help but feel the Euro's are going to be a massive let down on all the drama of this season, but you never know, it all proves footie is anything but predicable

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Drogba has sealed his reputation as one of the world's deadliest strikers. He sunk Barcelona and was pivotal in the final. Ashley Cole has to be the best left back of his generation. Never liked Chelsea, but admire what they've done since sacking AVB... best part is that they managed to win the Champs league in spite of that twat Terry, not because of him.

I think Drogba's one of the GOATs in Prem terms. Best Prem player of the last decade, easily. Not even that bothered about the diving anymore.

The diving against Barcelona was brilliant... it's a disgrace etc.
    The clinical finshing he's displayed is the part that puts him up there. Messi missed a penalty when the pressure was on. Zidane scored a panenka in the World Cup Final. Drog had chances and buried them all. I'd say he's been the player of the tournament.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Does anyone know what that slogan under the number means? I hope it's to do with some kind of official UEFA campaign slogan rather than a statement about Terry's ban. If it's the latter, then the cringe-inducing Suarez t-shirts pale in comparison. The extent to which this prick gets indulged is nauseating enough as it is.
    I have some vague recollection of the mention of some charity promotion thing Chelski had organised for their shirts for the final.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    dbl

It was fitting that Terry got drowned out at the money shot.
    There was about 5 players in front of him.
    Rough justice.

Soul citizen talks of him being a great leader, but you have to ask what kind of follower do you have to be to be willingly led by such a turd.

And Torres now has a full set of the big medals. Surely the most undeserving recipient ever. At least at the WC he had the decency to look mortified at his contribution iirc, if not embarrassed.

Now to suffer the fans of Chelsea and West Ham tomorrow at work.

Damn.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It made David need to air out his armpits. Or maybe he's just gasping for air and that's how he opens his gills fully

[Eeyore] Just another reason to be sad about everything football I guess. [/Eeyore]

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I watched, because they showed it on broadcast teevee over here.
    My Ingerlish Chelseafan friend's twitterfeed was awesome. I can't imagine watching that shit with anything invested in the teams--it was so heavy!

congrats to all UK mans, fuck ze germans!

The London Calling banner was awesome.

WWII-R

skel said:
    Cheers doc.
    I am looking forward to finding out what tugs the heart strings of ex-pat dude of similar vintage and pop-culture interest horizon as I have been musing on the possibilities of working abroad for a few months now.

I'm betting that the Internet is a double edged sword in that it keeps you in touch on information but emphasises a remote location.

Speak on it please.

A friend of mine has a flat in Budapest, he's talking about doing it up and renting. Possible loc? Might be able to cut you decent rates.
    Amazing city btw.

Thanks Duder, but I was looking for a works transfer, after they started pushing "worldwide mobility" as a key target.
    Put in for Mumbai and Tokyo but so far nada.

But since then, have had a stunning development on the career front that pushes me up the table a bit. Newcastle level!

Oh and thanks for the recommendations to accompany Endtroducing, Junior I think with the Cinematic Orchestra.
    Copped 'Motion' on a two-fer and it's right up my street for the moody ambient nu-jazz vibes. 5/7 ipoddable tracks, a great hit rate.

Endtroducing less so at 6/13, but still a pleasing addition to the Euphoric Strolling playlist.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    skel said:
    Cinematic Orchestra

My dude John Ellis up in that. You looking for more of the same kind of vibe? Instrumental?

Yes indeed!

Reminds me, I will soundcloud those Jazz Hip Trio tracks once my set sale is out of the way.

OK, so I was thinking that as it???s jubilee year or whatever, make a list of top 10 Briddish records. Then I wondered if I should also be choosing Briddish records with a theme of some sort, if only a unique Brit sound as I started my list with The Kinks Waterloo Sunset, got thinking about other classics, and at first I thought of Miss You (Disco version) by The Rolling Stones, but maybe it???s too much of an American record/sound, and perhaps Paint It Black would be more fitting.
    Something by Led Zeppelin, and it???s a toss-up for me between Ramble On (really anything from III) and Babe I???m Gonna Leave You. Or maybe Kashmere.
    This isn???t easy.
    Beatles, another difficult pick, and all I could manage was A Day In The Life, but there???s others I know really well but can???t bring the names to mind right now.
    Also
    The Beat Mirror In The Bathroom
    The Specials Ghost Town
    The Stranglers Golden Brown
    Gary Numan Cars
    Radiohead Karma Police

What should make a top ten? I know the Sex Pistols God Save The Queen seems like it should be there, but it doesn???t make my list as it???s not a great record. Great fun, but novelty/gimmick for my ears. Maybe Fame or Heros by Bowie?

Also wanted to add that I avoided dance music as it divides opinion too easily (shite/great).

Good idea Duder.
    Take the starting pistol as Sir Cliff's "Move It" and I would have one iconic track from each youth subculture.
    Let's see:
    Rocker, Mod, psych, glam, metal, punk, 2-tone, goth
    Then add one for pop and one for lounge/library and it's a wrap.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    From the rock pantheon;

Black Sabbath - st
    Joy Division ??? Closer
    New Order ??? Technique
    Primal Scream ??? Screamadellica
    David Bowie ??? Low
    The Jesus And Mary Chain ??? Psychocandy
    The Human League - Dare
    Nick Drake ??? Five Leaves Left / Bryter Later
    The Stone Roses ??? The Stone Roses
    The Smiths ??? The Queen In Dead

Further afield (the majority of this ish crossed over so I don't know why you'd need to ignore it)

Massive Attack ??? Blue Lines
    The Streets ??? Original Pirate Material
    Aphex Twin - pick one.. S.A.W. II for me.
    Goldie - Timeless
    Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol. One
    Dizzee Rascal - Boy in the corner
    Brian Eno - Discreet Music
    Stan Tracey - Under Milk Wood
    Portishead ??? Dummy
    Leftfield ??? Leftism

British Reggae / Lover Rock

Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
    Misty in Roots - Wise and foolish
    UB40 - Signing Off
    Maxi Priest - Too Late to Turn Back Now
    Barry Boom - Making Love
    Peter Hunnigale - In This Time
    Louisa Mark - Breakout
    Brown Sugar - singles only.. Hello Stranger is a good one.

Songs or albums?

Either way "London Calling" is getting chiselled into the marble and then gold-leaf infilled for good measure.

Beatles has to be "Penny Lane". It even namechecks The Queen.

"Waterloo Sunset"... EPIC BRIDDISHNISS.

I am no Stones trainspotter, but neither am I unfam with their catalogue. For me they were always chasing an "American" sound, from their Blues days, through to their more Rawky affairs - decisively more so than the Beatles, who also started at the altar of the imported US 45. No? Not to diss to their music, but I find it somewhat less British in spirit.

So, they opt themselves out of the idiosyncratic British V-flicking game that the Kinks, Queen, The Jam/Weller, The Pistols, The Clash, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Blur etc have made their stock-in-trade.

I point the same finger at Fleetwood Mac too. Doubtless others I am missing off the top of my head. And not to speak ill of the dead, but la Winehouse... or was it typically Briddish to make the US and A take the bait of great tunes wrapped in a ball of their own tambourine-soul heritage? The sound isn't British but the act certainly is.

YOU CALL IT. I will dwell on my other selections.

New Order - Blue Monday.

Good call on the Human League. Sheffield Electronica got massive props in Detroit.

Sabbath/Zep a shoe in. Might The-Brits.com also entertain a Lizzy/Maiden bid? (the latter surely as big as any 'Meriman Rawk act BITDs of spandex and ant-snorting).

J i m s t e r said:
    Songs

I'll second Penny Lane, and London Calling never did much for me but I understand it's place in the cannon.

Stones ... always chasing an "American" sound

Why I chose Paint It Black as it's got a character of it's own imo. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a US act had done something similar first, and if so, I'd like to hear it. Top tune.

Queen

Considered Killer Queen.

Fleetwood Mac

Two thirds of the Jimi Hendrix Experience were Brit, can we claim them?

Winehouse
    Also thought about Dusty doing Preacher Man, but wasn't that a period of Brit acts shamelessly covering black American music that wasn't being imported?

Speaking of Britishness, I replied once to something somewhere :

I have it on a picture disc, done as an RAF Roundel. It has a spoken-word intro by Liam Gallagher over the Thunderbirds march, namechecking British institutions such as "ahRrrry-beee-noh" and "The Aven-jozzz" before merging into a pounding house tune made from out-takes from "Born Slippy" w. piano from Jools Holland and rappse from So Solid Crew members, talmbout "We red white and blue, but nevah f*ckin' yellah, Gylles Brandreth kick your head in, Jamie Oliver salmo-nellaaahhh"

Hendrix band was 2/3 Brit, but Hendrix's (I think the "'s" is correct) next-level Braggadocio-bluesmanship made all the difference (like, the difference between watching [cough]Frankie Vaughn with one bird and 2 blokes, or Frankie Vaughn with 3 blokes). Yeah? You betcha, no-one is wretching and looking for the exit while Jimi's Voodoo act is in full effect.

Dusty was like a swaggerless Winehouse to me. Winehouse had a Fred Perry hookup. If Winehouse was a Top Trump, we are taking "Britishnessness : 92"

Can we all agree Gary Glitter has blown club membership doe?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Splodgenessabounds - 2 pints of Lager

XTC - Love on a Farmboy's Wages

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - What A Waste

and of course Smiley Culture (RIP)

And to round it off:

I believe some Weller must be present up in here too. Skel will be repping "English Rose" whist tapping one of them Ramones baseball bats gently at his feet. I have rosy glaucoma from my schooldays for the work of The Jam. Weller one of those artists whose Britishness cannot be measured by the standards of a non-colonised mind, like, them lot over there. Shit, you ask them to compile this list, they will be heckles of "Phil Collins" up in here. "A Flawk of Seagulls"...

:shudder:

Does damage done to the US chart add gravitas to the nominees here?

• Are we talking canonical British artists/albums, or can we head into private mindgardens?

Should probably add something by The Fall. Live at the Witch Trials? Hex Enduction Hour?

I'd add something from Dudley Moore. Great music, but mainly because his work with Peter Cook was quintessential Brit fodder.

Maybe John Martyn also. Should really represent more of the folk tradition.

We need a mission statement here.

In my PMG it's about a cross section of undeniably astounding tracks that carry authentic briddish attitude all the way through like a stick of rock, regardless of any yawnfest over musical root authenticity.

In this regard it's Anarchy in the UK over London Calling, it's Ace of Spades over Maiden, and it's Kirsty MacColl over Amy and them.

Define the aim and I'll add on after some hot chin stroking action.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Surely if you're going for brit music you'd include something from the early 80s jazz funk era with the resonant fretless bass sound, like Mariposa by Freeez or something? Its an approach to American music, but a very British sound.

Mmm, mission statement ??? British and good (if that???s not asking too much)?

Or just what would you play for the jubilee? Maybe choosing tunes with historical significance or something? Tunes that reflect our sceptered isle and all that...? I'm open to suggestions really*.

* inc private mindgardenraer

I'll propose that it's Songs From Inside Our Trench

Outsiders can listen, appreciate, but it wasn't made for you and you can't get the 100%. YMD

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    So that means TO-TO-TO-TOP BUZZ
    HIGHLANDER! WE'RE IN THA MOVIES RELATED (Speaking of which have the Home Nations signed off on their appropriation for this auspicious event?

plus This Town Needs a Sheriff.

I could go on, but don't worry I won't