TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    That is fantastic

Hats off

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The butterflies elevated Wenger's bit to new heights.

So... Jubilee time encroaches...

I saw this: http://www.picturesonwalls.com/home.asp and was underwhelmed with 3Ds 'effort'. I usually like his stuff, have even shelled out for a couple in the past but this latest piece is pretty bloody naff methinks.

Anyway, whats the commemorative tea-towel must-have this celebratory period? teapot raer? biscuit tin grail?

Ho hum.

The Union Jack look is massive at the moment, but the pitch is much elevated from the mugs n tea towel days of old.
    You walk into Jon Lewis and its rife with truly balleur furniture sets, wacky beds, mad garden room-in-a-Perspex-ball stuff.
    I had to drag myself away from scoring a pair of DMs with full colour flag on Sunday.

Thames procession thing on next Tuesday goes right past my office, I'll be working and throwing the odd V querenie's way no doubt.
    And getting taken down by some SAS sniper.

Colonies doing anything?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Not one for the JOO-billy ("She ain't no human being"-R). And enforced time off work NAGL for contractor man.

So making the best use of "Epic" weekend by going to Tenby on Friday, back Thu. Sospan Fach-R.

Just heard they (aich pee) are paying us all for the 5th regardless of whether we are in or not.
    :beerbang: :bizzo: :happyday: :happyday: :bizzo: :beerbang:

Jim, really doe, does your delirious/bitter pendulum really swing to the beat of circa 4-5% of a monthly pay packet?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Would The La's qualify for this best of British list? I know they only put out one LP that sucked. But in principle they should be right up there.

skel said:
    Jim, really doe, does your delirious/bitter pendulum really swing to the beat of circa 4-5% of a monthly pay packet?

Sure. Well, it's half-true, if the pendulum wasn't actually walled-off from trespassing into any delirious hemisphere. I've been contracting too long or doing it wrong, because the idea of being paid something to do f*ck-all seems too good to be true. Well, they are sacking us all in December, I suppose.

b/w

You think monster trucks run on fresh air? Nick-Leeson-types speak for deyselvfz, but for [cue violin]A working-class stiff from da wrong side of the tracks[/violin] It's not an amount of money I would refrain from picking up off the street. Man owes hipster and/or alcoholic beverages to man in The Smoke innit. Best I start saving now.

magpaul said:
    Would The La's qualify for this best of British list? I know they only put out one LP that sucked. But in principle they should be right up there.

Off the back of one tune? BOLD.

Beatles already got the Scouse auditions on lock.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Brendan Rodgers it is, then - at least according to The Grauniad's new number one source for football exclusives, Dave Whelan (who I suppose would have some idea if Martinez had been offered the job). Mind you, this is the paper who breathlessly trailed an EXCLUSIVE story last summer about how Inter Milan were thinking of making an offer for Gareth Bale at the end of this season.

Ah, well. How warmly I recall the last time - indeed the last two times - we were seduced by someone (arguably) riding a wave of hype off the back of a half-decent Prem season.

Off the back of one tune? BOLD.

Yeah prolly true, I wouldn't say one tune although realistically that's their own opportunity for a mention.

I ride for much of their first album, Timeless Melody, Feeling, Son of a Gun etc. Preferably off the BBC Live album though. They got a couple of classic raers from the 2nd LP that never saw the light of day as well, Tears in the Rain, I Am The Key, Was It Something I Said.

DocMcCoy said:
    Brendan Rodgers it is, then - at least according to The Grauniad's new number one source for football exclusives, Dave Whelan (who I suppose would have some idea if Martinez had been offered the job). Mind you, this is the paper who breathlessly trailed an EXCLUSIVE story last summer about how Inter Milan were thinking of making an offer for Gareth Bale at the end of this season.

Ah, well. How warmly I recall the last time - indeed the last two times - we were seduced by someone (arguably) riding a wave of hype off the back of a half-decent Prem season.

A friend of mine posted a phone pic of Martinez and That Tall LFC Owner (Hicks?) dude walking down the road with caw-fees together, no doubt discussing Thriller V OTW or somesuch.

Looks like they are in Florida.

He captioned it on FB as "F*cking Niki Lauda stretched faced prick"

Guardian are trolls when it comes to football. The top viewed article today re: Man United's pursuit of Shinji Kagawa is bollocks. Instead of lauding Fergie for knowing how to run a football club and making another (potentially) classic signing, it's more along the lines of YOU HAVE NO MONEY LOLZ.

Depressing to see that their former Manchester correspondent, grade A bastard Daniel Taylor was promoted to Chief Football Writer as well. It's only gonna get worse.

Paul, it was all tumbleweed up in this bith when I last sought britboard opinion on the La's.

Still undecided if the apostrophe is total fail or supremely arch win.

Speak on it.

The album has stellar moments amid tedium IMHO.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    But the Decline & Fall of the Ferg Empire sells more stories. Next season is interesting for those outside of the title race purely to see what Ferguson does next.

Bathos etc.

EDIT: shall we do another LDN drinks this month? Weekend for me as exams are in full swing.

It's good to see Wikipedia makes note of The La's in their entry for Apostrophe along with Hear'Say and Dexys Midnight Runners

Other misuses

The British pop group Hear'Say famously made unconventional use of an apostrophe in its name. Truss comments that "the naming of Hear'Say in 2001 was [...] a significant milestone on the road to punctuation anarchy". Dexys Midnight Runners, on the other hand, omit the apostrophe (though "dexys" can be understood as a plural form of "dexy", rather than a possessive form).

An apostrophe wrongly thought to be misused in popular culture occurs in the name of Liverpudlian rock band The La's. This apostrophe is often thought to be a mistake; but in fact it marks omission of the letter d. The name comes from the Scouse slang for "The Lads".

They are a perfect mind garden band for me anyway, I was a Cast fan back in the Britpop days so not really sure what context to enjoy them in beyond that.

First this

and with some practice, this

Who needs Van Percy?

*e*, the next weekend I can do is not until Saturday August 11th. Sorry.
    Maybe duttyB and Rich45 or others can sort something out with you.

Where's A*i 'Jump' Junior at?

Hey, no probs ***v*.

b/w

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/may/31/jeremy-hunt-leveson-inquiry-live

Why can't the sodding Lib Dems pullout of the coalition? Vince Cable as leader brings a little credibility back to the party, and forming a new coalition with Labour might un-do some of the austerity mess that Osbourne has landed us in.

So **o, what's your involvement with the exam process?
    Invigilator?
    Patting down post-grad yoot for shivs and horse before they enter?
    Bouncer duties on the door?

Or are you offering to dress up like a 19yo, gel the barnet into preposterous shapes and sit exam on yoot's behalf?

I hear that's a lucrative sideline.

Currently involves looking at the clock and thinking about what I'm going to have for lunch. Panini, or maybe as the weather has chilled a little, I might go for a pie @ pieminister.

When I'm not eating or thinking about eating, the whole office runs about answering paper queries, chasing missing students, looking after sick students (panic attacks, faint from over-work + not enough food, nose-bleeds etc), keeping rooms stocked with relevant materials, generally organised chaos as 800-1000 students a day sit their exams.

I also run a service transcribing illegible scripts for students* with bad hand-writing all the way through to a full on disability. At some point in the future we will move to all students sitting exams with computers, but cost, and heat + noise in the rooms has put that on hold for the present.

* best part was recruiting typists. I tested them on typing speed, gave them some dictation, asked about their availability,
    and then chose the prettiest ones...

I kid, the prettiest one was actually the worst typist.

Shit L**, typists, in 2012?
    Typists??

Next you'll be telling us fools still run round that courtyard (with the bells) and Babylon still dons gown and mortarboard while dispensing hedJumacashun for the privileged.

Post pix of typing pool or it didn't happen.

skel said:
    Shit L**, typists, in 2012?
    Typists??

Next you'll be telling us fools still run round that courtyard (with the bells) and Babylon still dons gown and mortarboard while dispensing hedJumacashun for the privileged.

Post pix of typing pool or it didn't happen.

Well, they are typing onto a computer... should I call them keyboardists? One of the girls did a typing speed test and hit 104 wpm with no errors! I'm down in the low 40-50s.
    No pix. You'll have to imagine the sight of hundreds of 19-23 yr old girls in black tights and mini skirts sitting the exams, and the graduates I've employed to type are just a bit closer to my age, sans mortar boards & tights.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "You never gif me your mo-ney..."

Very cool.

But a point of order.
    Macca looks like he's got a prison-white kick on his left foot.

What part of the legend is that?

Or if you like: leg end.

We returned back from Tenby yesterday. I love Pembrokeshire. Whilst we did actually get some sun, in general, it was not Summery. And yesterday it took 5 hours to drive back, every inch of the journey into the face of driving rain and spray.

Thank F*ck Ibiza is booked.

• Back from Pollen??a, great trip and lovely place. Did the train journey as advised, fantastic. Stood on one of these on the penultimate day, hurt like mad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weever

OW.

And they scoff at my wearing of connoisseur-editon Crocs on here.

Still, better that than them barbed Amazon tings that swim up your Jap's Eye, mid-piss.