TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Okem said:

These are from 92 -11.

Well, you can make statistics say anything. ;-P

Jokes aside, I don't think we're going to agree on this. If Spuds had won the title, would they have picked it up at a bargain rate?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    [
    Someone remind me - what was Indelible Heat formerly known as?

Have been wondering this as well and thanks to PMs etc have managed to work out it's the poster formally known as musica.

I think Liverpool will get it together again in the next season or so,they still have a decent spine in there. Sadly I don't think Newcastle are going to be up there again next season. God knows about Spurs, I wouldn't be surprised if they fluctuate all over the place again next season. As amusing as it is, would be kind of a shame not to see them in the CL next season though, think that team is built to mess with European opposition.

In other news, it couldn't happen to a nicer shithouse.

Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive of News International, is to be charged with perverting the course of justice, the Crown Prosecution Service said on Tuesday.

She faces three charges of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice including the alleged removal of seven cases of material from the archive of News International and the concealing of documents and computers from officers investigating phone hacking.

Brooks, who was arrested in March by Scotland Yard police officers investigating phone hacking, is the first person to face charges in the major criminal investigation into hacking and allegations of bribing public officials.

Her husband, Charlie Brooks, the racehorse trainer and friend of the prime minister, is also to be charged, the CPS announced.

Four other people are also being charged with perverting the course of justice. One other person who was arrested will not face charges.

Mr and Mrs Brooks said: "We deplore this weak and unjust decision. After the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS we will respond later today after our return from the police station."

Brooks and her husband were told the decision on Tuesday morning when they returned to the police station to answer bail along with the five other suspects.

The pair will be summonsed to appear in court, where the charges will be formally laid.

The charges are the first since Operation Weeting began. Scotland Yard has budgeted for three linked inquiries to run to 2015 at a cost of more than ??40m. The CPS is still studying four more files which have been passed to it by detectives investigating phone hacking, leaks and alleged bribes to the police.

I envisage a tsunami of FCPA-coloured shit heading NI's way, and not a minute too soon.

Hooray at the shitfest heading their way.

Boo at the excuse this will give reporters to engage in more flowery descriptions of Brooks.

• Junior said:
    Boo at the excuse this will give reporters to engage in more flowery descriptions of the Raven haired Brooks.

not to stoop to that level, but i couldn't help be reminded of this while watching brooks at the leveson inquiry last week...

(same dress, albeit different colour, and similar hair etc., though perhaps not as shouty)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    LOL at Cameron thinking LOL means LOL when in fact it means LOL; any fule kno dat

skel said:
    LOL at Cameron thinking LOL means LOL when in fact it means LOL; any fule kno dat

Who's got the last LOL now?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Okem said:

These are from 92 -11.

Well, you can make statistics say anything. ;-P

Jokes aside, I don't think we're going to agree on this. If Spuds had won the title, would they have picked it up at a bargain rate?
    But they didn't. In the end they didn't get anywhere near it. They couldn't bring a Carlos Tevez out of the bag to help them get over their mid season slump. They instead bought a Saha.

But in recent years they have thrown a lot of money at trying to win something, only it hasn't been till 'Arry turned up that they've had anything cohesive backing it up. Whilst he was busy trying to rebuild Portsmouth, the money men at Spurs picked up a few bargains capitalizing on the bigger clubs who are throwing even bigger amounts of money around. They got VdV for a bargain because Real wanted rid and had run out of options. They got Ade on loan from Citeh, who still paid half his ??200,000 a week wages all season whilst he scored goals for another team. I doubt Spurs could afford to pay him those wages, because most teams just can't compete with kinds of cask Citeh have. But these are the sort of players who've pushed Spurs up to a competitive level. The sort of players that the current Liverpool team is missing.

As exciting as the last 30 minutes of the season was, it still didn't reach the level last seen when Thomas scored the second at Anfield. That was higher league entirely. I watched with scouse then-gf's bingo caller brother, who spent a good 45 minutes sobbing on my settee.

I gave him Kiss Alive II to cheer him up a bit. And a Fastway 12 iirc.

Okem said:
    The sort of players that the current Liverpool team is missing.

No arguing with this.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    awesome.

skel said:
    As exciting as the last 30 minutes of the season was, it still didn't reach the level last seen when Thomas scored the second at Anfield. That was higher league entirely. I watched with scouse then-gf's bingo caller brother, who spent a good 45 minutes sobbing on my settee.

I gave him Kiss Alive II to cheer him up a bit. And a Fastway 12 iirc.

Trust me, nothing could have been worse than hearing that news in a pub full of Evertonians.

Doc, I've been meaning to ask: what are you missing most about life in Blighty, and what are the best things about life in Germany? Not personal-R like job, family/friends etc.

"I now hope the Arsenal fans can get on with their lives and forget me. They should celebrate their third-place achievement and I will focus on winning titles" ??? Samir Nasri

:oh_snap:

• skel said:
    what are the best things about life in Germany?

"don't call me......" it must be a stein for breakfast?! Even without knowing the man, this has to be the response?

Post celebrations: Tevez is a nob.. Barton is the king of nobs...

I'm happy with 4th in my 1st season of SS FF....

skel said:
    Doc, I've been meaning to ask: what are you missing most about life in Blighty, and what are the best things about life in Germany? Not personal-R like job, family/friends etc.

I wanted to have a bit of a think about this. I've been here over a year now, and I have to say that, although the last year has been tough, I've not regretted moving for a moment, and now that things are settling down as regards employment and such, I'm looking forward to staying for a while longer.

The first thing I was struck by when I moved to Berlin was how good the public transport is. After twenty years in London, using public transport becomes an endurance test. Here, it's the complete opposite. The trains are rarely packed, and if the display says a train is due in three minutes, it'll arrive in three minutes. Likewise the buses. This is where all the cliches about German efficiency manifest themselves in the best possible way. It's a piece of cake getting around the city as well. Last summer, I could leave work in the centre of town and be home in less than half an hour. Honestly, you have no idea of the difference things like this can make, particularly to your mood. No more of this getting up at a stupid hour and rushing around in order to make sure you're on the platform by [x], otherwise you've no hope of getting to work on time.

Another thing is the quality of the food. Where we are, we're at something of an advantage, as we're just around the corner from one of the city's most famous farmer's markets. But even apart from that, the chow you get just in regular restaurants is of a really good standard. We eat out quite a bit, and I can count the number of bad/below par meals I've had on the fingers of one hand. The touristy areas in town can be hit and miss, but on the whole it's very good indeed.

People here know how to drink sensibly. The only time I've seen people bladdered during the day is when I've been going to the match. You'll get on the U-Bahn to Olympiastadion at about 2:30, and it's full of people who look as if they've been drinking since eight in the morning. They're very loud, but rarely are they seriously unruly.

There's loads of stuff I'm forgetting, so I'll return to this again soon. Just seen Hertha get relegated to 2.Bundesliga after losing 4-3 on agg to Fortuna Dusseldorf in a hugely entertaining relegation playoff. How it works over here is that third from bottom in the top tier plays third from top in the second, and whoever prevails over two legs either stays where they are or goes up. This is the second time in two seasons that the team I've rooted for has lost out. Last season it was Bochum getting turned over by Moenchengladbach. Hertha played some awful football in the first half of the season, but not bad enough that you thought they'd go down. Not long after they sacked Babbel, the wheels came off good and proper, and it's been downhill all the way ever since. Anyway, I can look forward to the Berlin derby next season. It's nice being able to walk up to the ground on the day, buy a ticket and watch the game.

Cheers doc.
    I am looking forward to finding out what tugs the heart strings of ex-pat dude of similar vintage and pop-culture interest horizon as I have been musing on the possibilities of working abroad for a few months now.

I'm betting that the Internet is a double edged sword in that it keeps you in touch on information but emphasises a remote location.

Speak on it please.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Can't have too many complaints here. Even Downing doesn't surprise me. Phil Jones is the future, Micah Richards is not.

One right back, four centre halves and two left backs. Don't tell me Phil Jones can play right back. I've seen him. And I can fucking guarantee you that at least one of those centre-halves will finish a game as a second centre-forward.

As for Downing, you've got more chance of seeing the Rev. Ian Paisley complete a cross this summer. I can only imagine that Micah Richards was overheard making a disparaging remark about John Updike.

At least he hasn't picked Konchesky.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    That midfield is pretty depressing. Hope they don't fuck up Oxlade-Chamberlain in the same way they did Theo. Surely there's better options than Downing.. Adam Johnson? Nathan Dyer? Joe Cole even. What has Gerrard done lately to warrant being selected? & how have we not produced any creative midfielders in the last decade. Why not try and move forward a little, maybe give Tom Cleverly chance, or get Paul Scholes back, at least he's played well this season.

AND.. I agree with Doc. Taking Jones is a waste of a spot Richards would be a better choice.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Stewart Downing: 0 Assists, 0 goals, 3 missed penalties

Lennon, even Adam Johnson, any of those Swansea boys... anybody else on the wing.

Paul Scholes!! LOL dude what are you thinking??!?

The paucity of right back is somewhat mitigated by expert tuition that only the proven wonder-coach Neville G can provide. Lulz.

That midfield. Jesus, is that the best we can do?
    Downing.

And you dude's pooh-poohed Teh Harry.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Joe Hart

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Walcott? Barry or Parker Lampard Young

Gerrard (451) Welbeck (442)

Carroll

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    skel said:
    Paul Scholes!! LOL dude what are you thinking??!?
    Little Pauly Scholes was like the second best midfielder in EPL or sumtin. Gary 'YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S IN MY CLOSET' Lineker told me so.

Who remembers when the talk was al about how the influx of johnny foreigner was going to bring the standard of our players right up?

Now our star forward line for the first phase is Welbeck and Carroll.

This is totally hilarious.
    Euroman must be pissing himself.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's of no great surprise we haven't developed anyone when we leave Stuart Pearce in charge of the kids and he plays a 24 year old James Milner as the center piece of his U21 side.

We should just give up, hire Tony Pulis & play this side

Joe Hart

Shawcross Terry Lescott Higginbotham

Jones Barry Parker Milner

Carroll Crouch

Then at least they might fluke their into playing against Spain and we'll finally get an answer to the eternal question of 'Could Barcelona beat Stoke on a cold wet Wednesday'.

All kind of looks like Woy will be playing a big boot up the field type approach which I guess will work as well as anything else managers have tried over recent years.

While the inclusion of Terry irks me no end I think the defence is bearable. The lack of variety in the midfield is hilarious though and the strikeforce is just plain depressing.

I would like to know what logic insists that Carroll is a better choice than striker with a proven international record like Crouch. Please to avoid arguments about looking to the future.

Also, rofl at the inclusion of the Ox.

Still, I want to believe Woy, I want to believe.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Wot no Sturridge?

Wot no reponses to my "All-Prem" team suggestion yesterday? Other than cicadas-4-days. I feel the conflict of having to field multiple U*ited players. But my bitterness only goes so far, I have to save some for work.

Junior said:
    Still, I want to believe Woy, I want to believe.

Conversely, I was secretly worrying that, having taken 0.00 interest in England since their ignominous WC exit, the useless gets, I would be caught embarrassingly flat-footed by the revelation that a young, dynamic, inventive and capable new England would be turning up at the Euros. As you can imagine, I'm quite relieved that the most stressful thing I'll now be doing during the contest is repeatedly explaining to bewildered Germans why I'm so utterly indifferent to England's prospects. Watch the cunts go and win it now.

As for fears that Hodgson may be ushering in a return to "whack it up top to the big man" football, any Liverpool fan can tell you that this is almost certainly why he's picked both Carroll and such a predictable midfield (Ox notwithstanding). Obvious, really, when you consider the roaring success he enjoyed using similar tactics at LFC.

• i love not having to support england.

also, how the fuck is the terry racism situation not resolved yet? it stinks.