TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Can we all agree Gary Glitter has blown club membership doe?

I don't want to know what Glitter has blown :lalala:

Where do Dire Straits fall?

Police could be in there.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Beatnick is to blame for this idea.
    Whatever, state the criteria and let's roll.

Rest assured there's no Rolling Stones in whatever selection I make.

Can't think of any overtly Scottish or Welsh entries, unless I take it totally PMG and do a power pop list.
    NI might make it in with Van and SLF.

Lizzy is a difficult call. One meriman and a bona fide Dubliner; but one golden era Scot and the main man was technically English.

Speak definitively on the subject at hand and let's start the thread. Queenie's 60 years is imminent.

skel said:

Scottish

With a weird '80s Brit commercials themed video, mindgarden material:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm not sure what your criteria are here but having just excavated The The's Infected from the rubble in my desk I'll add that. Piss stinking shopping centres and all.

• skel said:
    Welsh

John Cale would be the perfect choice were it not for the fact that he is 100% more New York than Newport.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Scottish

Risk of Proclaimers precludes any Albannach activity, yo.

"Rip it Up" might come hard but "Love Plus One" sees it off like it's Haircut's Hadrian.

Their secret weapon might be a PMG Sheena Easton or Jesse Rae but he'd rather be out of it, IIRC (His vinyls had "Import" on them if they were going South of the Border. 100% true).

neil_something said:
    skel said:
    Welsh

John Cale would be the perfect choice were it not for the fact that he is 100% more New York than Newport.

Manics have a valid claim to something. I will ride for the Nicky stuff, they sold it to me.

I will add Sir Tom and Dame Shirley have valid claims to membership here too.

The Alarm to fall back doe.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Manics have a valid claim to something. I will ride for the Nicky stuff, they sold it to me.

I will add Sir Tom and Dame Shirley have valid claims to membership here too.

I have a lot of time for "The Holy Bible", but not much time for anything else Manics related.

As for Tom and Shirley, it's 99% garbage. Only the Johnny Harris tunes are worth repeated listens. I'd take Gorky's Zygotic Mynci over both of them.

And I'd take SFA 'Juxtaposed' over all of them.

There is some bottom feeding creeping in now.
    The Police? Duder? DUDER?

Anyways, It's Not Unusual is a great song, and has the virtue of capturing both Tom and the boy Page (although there are so many versions of that story, the truth is now a blur). But Tom is way too Vegas to fit my model.

Likewise, choose Teh Fall's 'Victoria' and capture them and the Kinks in one swoop.

If we have no mutually agreed spec by Monday, just start a thread, throw as much at the wall as you want and see how it goes.

And Neil: New York / Newport
    I saw what you did there

::heartily approve::

The Police I was thinking maybe Roxanne, although my fav tune by them is The Bed's Too Big Without You (wicked afrobeat style bassline):

Dire Straits... I like Sultans Of Swing. But these guys are surely more Americanised than the Stones I guess.

bonus:

FAO Doc:

So what do dudes make of Scouse Harry?

It's never going to happen, is it?

Who'd give up Modric, Bale, Walker and them for what amounts to an ageing Gerrard and the impending clusterfuck Implosion of Suarsehole?

Nah, never happen.

On the other hand, all parts of Liverpool are more desirable than Tottenham High Road.

• skel said:
    So what do dudes make of Scouse Harry?

It's never going to happen, is it?

Who'd give up Modric, Bale, Walker and them for what amounts to an ageing Gerrard and the impending clusterfuck Implosion of Suarsehole?

Nah, never happen.

On the other hand, all parts of Liverpool are more desirable than Tottenham High Road.

You are welcome to him.
    He's gone as far as he can go with Tottenham.

Stone Roses gig last night in Warrington:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9287130/Stone-Roses-play-first-show-in-16-years.html

Apparently they are very popular.

Discuss.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Stone Roses gig last night in Warrington:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9287130/Stone-Roses-play-first-show-in-16-years.html

Apparently they are very popular.

Discuss.

"They've never played so well together," said 43-year-old Andrew Rudder, from Ashton under Lyne.

But opinion was mixed over the quality of singer Ian Brown's voice. "He can't sing but he never could," said Tom Six, 35, from Liverpool.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    "Brown has since pursued a solo career and made a brief appearance in the 2004 film "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"."

Ha ha.

Actually, I was nonplussed by the reaction of some people I know to the upcoming gigs, fervent ticket grippage, but reading John Robb's twitter last night, the anticipation was vaguely exciting. I'd go and see 'em, if it was free. And near my house.

Girl at work went.
    Never seen anyone so stoked in anticipation. I'm talking like, since about January.

• One of the most overrated bands of recent memory. Covering all the bases from lad rock to dad rock.

In hindsight, "Fools Gold" sounds like a massive fluke on their part.

neil_something said:
    One of the most overrated bands of recent memory. Covering all the bases from lad rock to dad rock.

Ditto.

I have been nonplussed by them since like 1987. When they did the Queens Hall in Widnes. Really, beyond "Fools Gold", the rest is what I've always called "Student Music". Begrudgingly, Brown's solo work was more interesting but after the infamous Chinese Takeaway Snub incident, their privileges have well and truly expired.

BONUS BRIT-TRIV : An acquaintance of mine, Sylvan Richardson Jr., was the bassman and musical director for Brown. He's now the physio at LFC.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    skel said:
    Girl at work went.
    Never seen anyone so stoked in anticipation. I'm talking like, since about January.

Same with me mates. Tickets for every gig, nuts. I do like some of Ian Brown's solo stuff, but the Roses mostly leave me cold.

I'm trying to think of a band reforming that I would go through hell to see, but I can't think of any. Must be SOMEONE.

J i m s t e r said:
    neil_something said:
    One of the most overrated bands of recent memory. Covering all the bases from lad rock to dad rock.

Ditto.

Only track by them I've ever liked. Some of their other fluff (I Am The Resurrection) falls into the thread about tracks that girls love dancing to but leaves the guys cold (Smack My Bitch Up sitting on the other side of the fence).

Ramones for sure.

Oh wait...

Actually I would wet my Ys for the original Zounds with Laurence Wood and Josef Portar to join the continued resurgence of Steve Lake.

I assume this means nish to dudes here, but I'd be so stoked, psyched, amped etc.

80s anarcho-squatter-R

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Don't really care for Fools Gold but ride for Adored/Gary Neville tribute song/Love Spreads.

skel said:
    80s anarcho-squatter-R

I got some Ozric Tentacles tapes from squatters. Dunno if they were anarcho... Clogs and dreads (whiteboy-R). One of the birds was going out with Swampy IIRC. One of them might have been Swampy, actually. Nick Van Gelder (OG Jamiroquai drummer) was in the Ozrics before JK gave him the gig. Stu Zender was with that Archaos travelling circus at some point too. IIRC.

Sure I've mentioned this before, but the most facemelting display of bass virtuosity I ever witnessed was by Rainy of anarcho ??ber-noise monsters Discharge. At the 100 club, stage was a foot high, monochrome punters in entirety going berserk but couldn't avert the gaze.
    200mph, hands flying up and down the fretboard, fingers a blur of feverish activity and righteous fury.

WARS NO FAIRYTALE GUNS AND BOMBS AREN'T FUCKING TOYS

NO NO TV SKETCH NO NO TV SKETCH

IT'S A MESSED UP FUCKED UP FUCKING SYSTEM

DECONTROL DECONTROL WE'VE BEEN SHIT ON FAR TOO LONG

They don't write em like that anymo'

For Jimster, and anyone who has ears for the tinkly piano modal etc etc

Jazz Hip Trio - Orange Boom

Jazz Hip Trio - Spell Of Three

:coolhmm:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    skel said:

They don't write em like that anymo'

Visiting the Cotswold Wildlife Park in Oxfordshire last week, I was struck by two things. First, the amazingly beautiful animals, basking in the unseasonal sunshine. And second, the profileration of greengrocer???s apostrophes on the signage (we were invited, among other things, to inspect the ???egret???s???).

It???s one of the tragedies of being a grammar nerd that the loveliest day can be ruined by a misplaced comma or rogue conjunction. Worse still is when you find out you???re in the wrong: during a discussion inspired by this week???s Spectator, I learned that I???ve been pronouncing ???Jubilee??? wrong all my life (the stress should be on the first syllable, not the third). Hoist by my own petard. Or is it ???with????

Me too. "-Lee" man all my days.

HOW SILLY DO/MUST I LOOK?

J i m s t e r said:
    Visiting the Cotswold Wildlife Park in Oxfordshire last week, I was struck by two things. First, the amazingly beautiful animals, basking in the unseasonal sunshine. And second, the profileration of greengrocer???s apostrophes on the signage (we were invited, among other things, to inspect the ???egret???s???).

It???s one of the tragedies of being a grammar nerd that the loveliest day can be ruined by a misplaced comma or rogue conjunction. Worse still is when you find out you???re in the wrong: during a discussion inspired by this week???s Spectator, I learned that I???ve been pronouncing ???Jubilee??? wrong all my life (the stress should be on the first syllable, not the third). Hoist by my own petard. Or is it ???with????

Me too. "-Lee" man all my days.

HOW SILLY DO/MUST I LOOK?

I've always said it Jew-bil-ee.
    Gutted to know I might be working with exams actually. Really looking forward to getting drunk and quoting Churchill.

The Wenger one is brilliant.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Best part of that video was being reminded of Julio Baptista's existence. Rooney smoking the massive reefer was good as well though.