NAIVE NEWBIE WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT FILLY RECORDS

124»

Comments

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    It might have been funny on page 2, but by page 5 the joke was pretty much over.

oh great, so in addition to not reveling in PIR as much as i should, i need help in the comedy dept as well?
    i can't win.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    If you don't like disco, you may not like most Philly International releases.

I don't care for disco at all, yet based on their output from 1971-75, I would rank Philly Int'l as one of my favorite labels.

As far as everything since, for my hard-soul heart the quality drops, but there are still a few random songs from after '75 that I'll go to bat for:
    - "Early Morning Love," "See You When I Git There," Lou Rawls
    - "Ain't No Stopping Us Now," McFadden & Whitehead
    - "Use Ta Be My Girl," "Darlin' Darlin' Baby," the entire Year 2000 album, O'Jays
    - Leon Huff's Hear To Create Music album (esp. "I Ain't Jivin', I'm Jammin")
    - "Love TKO," Teddy Pendergrass
    - "I'm Just Thinking About Coolin' Out," Jerry Butler
    - Bunny Sigler's My Music album

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    There is no Funkadelic or Syl Johnson styled funk on PIR. And by "no" I mean it is the exception.

Those exceptions would include the already-mentioned Yellow Sunshine. Their lone album isn't as wacky as Funkadelic, but if you're a fan of black funk bands with a definite rock influence, then their LP is right in that vein.

As far as Syl Johnson-styled soul on PIR, Bobby Rush released Rush Hour in 1979. MFSB would never sound this hard again. (Assuming it's them.) Although a few of the songs are obviously Rush's idea of disco, it still comes off as hard juke-joint music. The type of record you'd expect from a label like Jewel, not from the sophisticated gents at Philadelphia International.

Don Covay had an album on Philly Int'l too, entitled Travelin' In Heavy Traffic. Better left unheard.

Thanks Hook and Pick.
    Of course my post was tongue in cheek, and a dig at people who don't like the Philly sound. I like the Philly sound.
    Always liked Yellow Sunshine but rarely see it out digging any more.
    I will have to listen to Rush Hour again, because I remember it sounding nothing like the Bobby Rush I knew from the Southern labels he was on.
    I have to admit that I have have Sigler's records, but have not listened in years and forgot how hard they are.

I don't think we have seen Monk Montgomery here yet.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i don't think i've ever seen that Monk Montgomery lp...must be pretty rare! Although checking discogs it seems like a cheapie.

the Anthony White lp is another rare one to look out for.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    It might have been funny on page 2, but by page 5 the joke was pretty much over.

oh great, so in addition to not reveling in PIR as much as i should, i need help in the comedy dept as well?
    i can't win.

Aw, man...sorry. I thought it was someone else clowning you.

I have to say I think you've taken all the hazing pretty well, more so than others have done in the past. Props.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    BallzDeep said:
    DocMcCoy said:

i can't win.

Aw, man...sorry. I thought it was someone else clowning you.

I have to say I think you've taken all the hazing pretty well, more so than others have done in the past. Props.

yeah its got us talkin. Hang in there.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Maybe it's age, I feel like I need more Philadelphia International in my life thanks to this thread.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Maybe it's age, I feel like I need more Philadelphia International in my life thanks to this thread.

Yeah, youngin', you need to :get_on_my_level: ;-) .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Never seen that in the field, but would cop on the strength of the cover.

• minimini 879 Posts