What’s up with NEWBIES and their attitude?

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited October 2005 in Record Collecting
How come those new kids know about every rare record that exists? How come they sound like smartasses when posting on internet forums? How come they keep acting snobbish towards old folks and record store owners? Those kids brag about the rarest of all vinyl, but still don't know what to pick when flipping through records at a real life record store! Where do all the youngsters get their info about the raers? Is it all about Soulseek and Soulstrut nowadays? Why don't they know about common records and records that are actually being sold at their local record shops??? Kids nowadays act like there are millions of rare Jazz Psych LPs waiting to be picked up by them! They refuse to buy expensive records at their local record store, just because they read about people on Soulstrut who permanently pick up private pressed boners for $1.Some youngsters are spoiled when it comes to record shopping. They don't even know what a rare record is worth to true collectors or store owners. They think they will still find cheap records around the corner. Or on the internet. They don't know to apreciate a reliable record store with huge amounts of new arrivals each week. They can't understand why record store owners price their records high if they never saw those records online and heard somebody say . One hundred Dollars for a rare Jazz LP? WHAT'S THE DEAL??? Your mom still won't let you have your own bank account? Their knowledge about rare records can compete with any old school digger, but they are so insecure when digging at record stores on their own. They are scared to listen to records that they've never seen online before. They would never spend any money on records they they didn't scan online before. They think record stores without Psych records for $1 are crap and end up buying Paul Horn records just because they think they found some indenpendent flute Funk record with mad loops and ill stabs. Never seen anyone post about Paul Horn records on Soulstrut? Guess why...THANK GOD I DIDN'T GROW UP WITH ALL THAT ONLINE BUSINESS AND TALK ABOUT RARE RECORDS ON SOULSTRUT. I WOULD HAVE BEEN SPOILED TOO. Thank god that I spend my first three years without finding any record that I still listen to. I learned something out of being dry and helpless.I wouldn't complain about all this if I didn't have very bad experiences with newbies in my real life...

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you mad?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Sounds like a lot of new kids are more into a 'scene' than into music. That's really nothing new, just with the technology to help them accelerate their 'status', as if it even matters.

Most will move onto something else as overnight as they probably became 'DJs' or 'diggers' or 'producers'.

like Dee Rock once said in Wax Poetics(if memory serves): "I'll be here to buy your collection when you get bored with it".

At the same time Grope, I don't think anyone LIKES paying three firgures + for LPs (well, maybe Reynaldo), but most of us don't begrudge dealers getting their paper when they have valuable stock. It just stings to pay lotsa dough for us cheap (non)ballers.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Just because people have "knowledge" doesn't mean they are able to apply it. There is enough information on the internet to be a rocket scientist or an architect right now. Last time I checked we aren't a nation of rocket scientists and architects.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    you mad?

i wasn't mad when i wrote that.
    it's just getting my nerves that some newbies actually got any rare record on mp3 and keep talking about their mp3 collection like it was something special. some think the volume of their mp3 collection qualifies them to talk to true record collectors. some even make fun of record store owners that price records high. i know why there are expensive stores. i don't get pissed when dealers ask for money. i either buy or shut up. it's their business not mine.
    the newbies i met got all their rare music from other people for free, but most don't know to appreciate it. i went record shopping with newbies and took them to my favorite spots. they didn't like them, just because they didn't see any rare Funk record for cheap. Some newbies are spoiled and are used to getting rare music for free. that's what i've learned lately. i'm not mad. i just didn't hear many people talk about the aggressive attidtude of some newbies before.

• I wholeheartedly agree with this.

• Baby steps. Lets help our young brothers and sisters find the way.

• Options
    Sounds like a lot of new kids are more into a 'scene' than into music.

They'll drop by the wayside REAL quick. I ain't worried.

K.

• Options
    That's a long drought. Why do you wish such sorrow on our young?

K.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i guess that album mp3 thread just shocked me. i didn't know that there are mp3s of all those rare records. i just didn't know. i guess i'm just shocked. noone ever told me... i need to get me soulseek, don't i?

• Sounds like a lot of new kids are more into a 'scene' than into music.

K.

That's what makes it more infuriating, no? It's like, are you after music or a status symbol? Aren't there better status symbols than rare records?

I get requests for the same 10 records. Some of it makes sense - someone posts "The Phantom" on soulstrut, I get a lot of requests for "The Phantom". Great record that I don't mind recommending, always in demand. Some of it is laughable though - how many times do I get asked for a "Power Of Zeus" or a "Honeysuckle Breeze"? I actually have a Tom Scott and when I mentioned to the guy that it was expensive, he got disappointed and left. Am I supposed to give these records away? Make some dude's "weekend finds" post for him and all his boys to get off?

Bad enough is the "I got this for a dolla" and "is this really that rare?" posse. But the internet has totally fucked the game off now.... sometimes it's good, cause I can get more money on certain common pieces, but I think rather than expanding folks' tastes, it limits them.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    That's a long drought. Why do you wish such sorrow on our young?

K.

not a drought.... it was just a time when i actually had to listen to a lot of crap in order to find out what i really like. local stores didn't offer many good records and i didn't have internet back then. i spent a lot of time in record stores. i bought some great records, but not the ones i really care about today.

i don't wish that on our young. really. i love to share.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Grope I always assumed that you were 'young' or younger maybe. The amount of times you used the term youngsters in your post made you sound like my Grandad (rip). I only bring this up in regards to your previous post about how you felt you were getting old, and you're musical tastes were changing.

You are correct tho.

And people who floss their mp3 collection should be lined up and shot. That said if you want some mp3 rare send me pm and I'll be more than happy to send to my soulseek folder.

• The only good reason to floss an mp3 collection is for purposes of education and listening. Nothing more nothing less.

I 'm down with collecting the rears too but I love music more. just because we own a physical version of a record doesn't mean we can't share the knowledge, not that anyone is saying this. I just have bigger things to care about.

And some of the newbies may not be youngsters. I may be old but I'm not bitter yet.

Why am I posting in this thread?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sounds like a lot of new kids are more into a 'scene' than into music.

K.

Some may just be into a scene. Some may drop by the wayside. Many will start to hear the music, develop their own taste and become our future.

The more people who love music and records the better.

Dan

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    music vs. format

DISCUSS

• I get requests for the same 10 records. Some of it makes sense - someone posts "The Phantom" on soulstrut, I get a lot of requests for "The Phantom". Great record that I don't mind recommending, always in demand. Some of it is laughable though - how many times do I get asked for a "Power Of Zeus" or a "Honeysuckle Breeze"? I actually have a Tom Scott and when I mentioned to the guy that it was expensive, he got disappointed and left. Am I supposed to give these records away? Make some dude's "weekend finds" post for him and all his boys to get off?

Well.. I'm a newbie compared to some of you out there.

I've had the luck to browse through some real nice collections in my life. (At least that's what I think)
    Most of us (newbies) will flee like vampires when they see the morning sun
    This is not something "new" per se. The old rookie vs pro debate.

Why don't you just chill and relax, knowing you got the "real"(records) and they(mp3's) will fade Like Das Efx's diggity diggity raps.

The guy who was dissapointed about that Tom Scott didn't deserve that record. That's the way i see it. There are people who are willing to pay.
    (That's the record I really want for personal reasons)

• It's not about not liking music, it's about having your tastes dictated to... therefore, having no ability to find your own new music... also having totally unreal expectation of what you will find out there in the field...

it's kinda if you ask me, I mean why does "Young Mods Forgotten Story" sit around while people come in asking for Mike Kirkland, Edwards Generation, and the Ambassadors all day...

• "Young Mods Forgotten Story"

Cause they are fucking clowns. This is one of the best records evar. fuck the trendy shit.

• Options
    I hear what Johnny is saying - it's like newbies are born with an internet wantlist in hand...and since these albums take a while to acquire and everyone has essentially the same list, is it stunting their growth?

Contempoarary House Newbie, K.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    music is music, I'm no audiofile. To me Curtis Mayfiled Live, sounds good on cassett, cd, vinyl and mp3.

But when you get into the world of collecting, haveing an mp3 of something doesn't really mean shit. And people tend to get carried away with their virtual crates.
    Its nice to have this music, it was made to heard after all. But don't think you're some big thing cause you have 50 gig of mp3raer.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    "Young Mods Forgotten Story"

Cause they are fucking clowns. This is one of the best records evar. fuck the trendy shit.

No excuse for that one.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm down with collecting the rears too

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    music vs. format

DISCUSS

I'd be happy do discuss. I've gotten flack at times, as i've stated numerous times on this site, i dont collect records(which is very understandable given the nature of this site)...when i get recommendations i hunt down the cd, as i like liner notes, but dont need to get myself addicted to vinyl(i have enough problems with storage as it is...just got my cdj 800s today, yay). pretty much none of my friends have the same musical taste with me. i'm not a dj. so when i ask about music, its to further my ears, not to brag to someone about what i know or dont know, or purchase something that im going to sell afterwards to make a profit of. its my own education that i'l pursue till i'm dead.

anyhow, i do understand how people would get pissed if they put so much time into their art and then some kid just says "give me the name of it" and then just jets. that's why i am humble when i ask about music, cause i respect all the knowledge dispensed, and would like to discuss the music further on the dialogue tip rather than be like a drive through person driving past the fast food restaurant window.

plain and simple I love music, it is my life and religion. i bleed it. i dont bleed any medium related to it however.

you know what that "upload an album" thread is to me? is a free access to information, just like an encylopedia. there needs to be a free musical encylcopedia, just like there are free scientific encyclopedias, because radios are sure not doing a good job of music education. of course there is a conflict. dealing with the pain of working a 9-5 is not something i want my favorite or any artists to do, it sucks up your soul. i'd love if there was a way they could be compensated...but for those that have passed on, i think we should all have a right to hear their works, just like how i can go to a library and "borrow" literature of dead people's works...its sort of a spiritual tribute to entertain their works in my life...i think anyway.

to the original poster, i hear you what you're saying, i would just say dont let some people that get off "rare" or elitist things beat you down, as there will be inquitive "noobs" who have a geniune appreciation of things. i'd consider myself a noob big time, and i've gotten so much great info here, and i know that if a question comes about something i know, i ain't pulling a "magician never reveals his secrets" kinda thing, i'l show them how i chop that person in half. that said, i ain't saying to pour out your soul and reveal everything, people need to earn stuff. but if you can, throw a person a fishing rod and then kick them into the sea and let them figure it out.

peace

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    You mean you're in it for the music????

SHAME ON YOU.

• I'm down with collecting the rears too

you spelled pause wrong.

• with the technology to help them accelerate their 'status', as if it even matters.

I have to chime in and say i have a little disdain for people who never "earned their stripes" digging and listening to the many bad records out there to understand what a good record is. Ch**s, you and I talked about this when you came to Austin. I think the internet rapidly accelerates the knowledge of younger collectors. It is like being placed atop a mountain that many of us built stone by stone through the years when the internet didn't exist(yes I am old enough that the internet didn't exist when I was in college). I am not bitter about this except that people will drool over a record like the raw soul express that really is pretty and pass over copies of the niteliters lps which are arguably better funk records.

It is the seemingly mindless and automatic way they do it that seems weird to me. It is like they are waiting to be told what is good.

my two cents.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Few thoughts:

1) Some of you sound really fucking old here and I mean that in a loving way but seriously, we ALL started out as newbies, right? And I'm sure the ways we went about our business annoyed the living hell out of the more established cats at the time. I mean, I'm positive folks like Matthew A. and Beni B. probably thought I was a toy ass chump when I started digging in the mid-1990s, with my Sample FAQ print out doubling as a wantlist and hell, that was a pretty toy ass chump way to go about collecting (though I know a lot of us did it. Word to Xombi). The entry point into collecting can be scary and it sometimes helps to have a basic guide to start with: yesterday it was the Sample FAQ. Today it's Soulstrut or Funk45.com or the Lexicon or whatever. The hope is that you eventually graduate from that and start going after records that you actually, you know, like vs. whatever's the hot popsike.com item of the moment.

And those who never graduate to that level end up liquidating their collections for the rest of us who still need "Power of Zeus" or Tom Scott (though JP: I really like that Tom Scott LP. "Today" is just a cool ass song to me, especially the original Jefferson Airplane version)).

2) MP3s vs. records: this is purely generational and while I think there will always be a clique of collectors who prefer vinyl, I can't be mad at all the MP3 hounds out there. If I were 10-15 years younger, that'd probably be my hustle too. Just recognize: I don't know if you can really be an MP3 collector the same way you're a vinyl collector. The medium is too vastly different for the same things to be at stake. With vinyl, if you're only after original press then there is a finite amount of items out there in the world that can circulate. If you hold the fuckin' "Eggroll" acetate in your crates, it doesn't matter how many other cats have that song on MP3 because they encoded it off of some Keb Darge comp.

Whereas...if you're a hardcore MP3 collector, you might have a huge collection and be able to brag about that, but you can't claim that much exclusivity. I wonder if it's as satisfying for them. For that reason, I just don't see newer, digi-collectors pursuing this shit with the same intensity (or insanity if you prefer) as the rest of us "old dudes."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BTW, as if this isn't already obvious: if the learning curve has been greatly improved out there for today's diggers, then places like Soulstrut are directly to blame. If we really want to stem the tide, we should:

1) make the site members only with new members only added via invitation
    2) prevent lurkers and anonymous folk from viewing.

I don't see us doing either. Ergo, we must reap what we sow.

• I think you're misunderstanding the thread oliver - nobody's hating on newbies for hating's sake, but expressing disdain for the way in which the internet has influenced how they go about getting theirs.

I've never had a want-list, I just always thought that was really limiting. It's not a good way to learn about music, IMO.

• the learning curve

OIiver, it's not a learning curve. They're not learning.