dj shadow - funky skunk mix...

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Listening right now... pretty cool. The Nite-Liters are my shit! Thanks Delay,

DJ Ferrari

Funky Granny =

for real. fuck the term mashup. some people act like it's some wild new concept. that's just real mixtape shit.

this mix is hard as hell. hot damn. i had it in my ride while heading home, and it made me take the most indirect route back, circling the neighboring towns, just so I can listen to more of it.

Mashup 2005 = blend 1995.

Sort of.

Anyways, people who think Shadow is borrowing Diplo-steez are directed to Lateef's "Wreckoning" 45 remix.

'Nuff said.

why would somebody need 60,000 records?

Wait, this question coming from Mr. Cocaine Blunts himself?

So confused.

But yo aren't there are lot of hardcore collectors with over 100,000? Not like you'd call 60,000 "compact" but I'm actually assuming this is a fairly select collection. Relatively speaking.

In any case, for once, I'd like to listen to one of these Shadow mixes and actually be able to say, "oh yeah, I have this track."

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Listening right now... pretty cool. The Nite-Liters are my shit! Thanks Delay,

DJ Ferrari

Funky Granny =

Do The Granny =

(Sorry for smart-alecking . How do I do that cross-out thing with a piece of text, anyway?)

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Thanks for the upload, really enjoying this!

• Too much hippity hop. Snooze.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Since we're on the subject of Shadow mixes...

I'm still trying to ID this one track from the psych/garage part of the Diminishing Returns mix.

i must know what this be

Anyone in the know?

Peace.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    why would somebody need 60,000 records?

Wait, this question coming from Mr. Cocaine Blunts himself?

So confused.

ha dude i think you'd be surprised at how relatively small my rap record collection is. at this point most stuff i get i'll encode to my computer and then flip. only the super classic raer joints and shit that falls into my few nerdy completist niches get permanent expedit status. i can't stand being bogged down with more records than i can listen to.

60,000 tapes, on the other hand, i could understand.

Do The Granny =

Oops, yes, "Do the Granny." But 'tis a funky Granny, no?

Question: why has no one ever sampled this?

• If I had more adequate facilities and finances I would be more than happy to house that many records. However, where I'm at now even 10+k is suffocating.

• Since we're on the subject of Shadow mixes...

I'm still trying to ID this one track from the psych/garage part of the Diminishing Returns mix.

theres one in particular I'm after from the hip hop part. Its on track 2 after the Underground cut, the one that goes .."i'm like nitro, i get you hype yo".. (starts @ 2.30)

If I had more adequate facilities and finances I would be more than happy to house that many records. However, where I'm at now even 10+k is suffocating.

Fucking cosign that shit. My stacks are driving my wife nuts and it's the reason my kid doesn't have her own room. I was even tempted to find a cheap rental rental somewhere in SF where I could just store my recs and turntables and use it as an informal music studio but with rent the way it is, there's no way to do this cheaply.

Josh B: maybe we should collabo on a storage space?

In any case, the way Shadow does it is to split up his collection over 3-4 storage spaces. That way, if any single one of them gets fucked (fire, earthquake, flood, thieving diggin' bastards) he doesn't lose the whole thing. That's true

• My stacks are driving my wife nuts and it's the reason my kid doesn't have her own room.

• excuse my language but what the FUCK was that Black By Demand joint on there???!!!! DAMN!

• Thanks for the heads-up on this. It's a lovely mix!

• why would somebody need 60,000 records?

But yo aren't there are lot of hardcore collectors with over 100,000? Not like you'd call 60,000 "compact" but I'm actually assuming this is a fairly select collection. Relatively speaking.

yeah. supposedly tom's collection is even bigger??? that used to be the word anyway. and splitting up storage in 3-4 spots is truly baller. you need to have a major label distribution deal to pull that kind of scratch. or you just need to live in Canada!

• finally linked up the full speed cable connection at home... was looking forward to listening to this.

Damn. Shit is really fucking tight.

I'm only about 20 mins into things and I'm already floored.

enjoying his super fast kick rubs

• the tune at 30 mins, excuse my lack of old school knowledge, what is it? with the big payback break..

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Pardon my ignorance, the pianostabs at 52'15" had the hairs on my arm standing right up, sounds like futuristic 1991 rap, what is it ?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This mix is cool but I was expecting it to blow my wig back... which it didn't do. By the way, comparing this to "Never Scared" is apples and oranges.

-e

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'd be seriously shocked if dude only had 60k, I don't think it could possibly be that low

• Yes, this will definitely get me through the work.

Cot damn, I have slept!!! This shit is right now in the office.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    "i know thats not messing with dj shadows collection"

Cot damn, I have slept!!! This shit is
    right now in the FIELD TENT.

Cot damn, I have slept!!! This shit is
    right now in the FIELD TENT.

• Oops, yes, "Do the Granny." But 'tis a funky Granny, no?

Question: why has no one ever sampled this?

I was wondering the same thing when I used it in my Summer Soulstice mix a few months ago. Shadow = Ferrari biter

So, is that Ten Wheel Drive at the 13 minute mark? Sounds like Genya Raven, but I've never heard that track before.

DJ Ferrari

• In any case, for once, I'd like to listen to one of these Shadow mixes and actually be able to say, "oh yeah, I have this track."

Waitaminute, didn't you once post about "finding" a copy of the Magnum LP in your collection and having no idea how it got there? If so, that's one....

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Late Pass:

Could someone hook me up with this mix?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Late Pass:

Could someone hook me up with this mix?

Aser upped this in a higher resolution as well:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=459342&Forum=crates&Words=shadow&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=454180&Search=true#Post459342.

I thought I downloaded it, but I must have trashed it by accident. Any chance for a re-up of that?