Just don't wear your sunday best.

saying
    I usually an old pair of cargos and old sneakers and a T-shirt

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Just don't wear your sunday best.

saying
    I usually an old pair of cargos and old sneakers and a T-shirt

these help too

• another one of my pet peevs is these dudes that sit and look at every record all carefully like this dollar bin john denver records are worth something. happens the most in thrift stores though. so they sit there and block about 5 crates while you stand there waiting to go through it in 15 seconds.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    another one of my pet peevs is these dudes that sit and look at every record all carefully like this dollar bin john denver records are worth something. happens the most in thrift stores though. so they sit there and block about 5 crates while you stand there waiting to go through it in 15 seconds.

major cosign to that one. there is alsways this one crazy dude that hangs out at the same thrift i took mylatency too. he's harmless, never picks up anything good -- but he always says this, "yup, they don't make them like they used to. it's all garbage music these days. i like the oldies."
    and when he passes up on og shirelles lp's --he's sort of thinking of buying a common ELO joint--that's oldies???
    but of course--he never buys--he just sits there, rummaging through them--looking at them and makes the same comments.

back to flea markets---

there is this one guy who i found a few things from over the past couple of years--and he always has a ton of records-- but they are insanely overpriced (i'm used to paying 25 cents to a dollar usually--not 10 bucks on some common soul or bad 70s rock records)--
    he's been hit up a loong time ago though. he used to have a antique shop in a middle of nowhere town near easton, pa--all the dealers/rec shop owners went through his goods. there is nothing i want from the guy.
    but when i see him, he always wants to tell me the same stories about how he had this place and how all the guys went through it--then he always wants me to come and check what he's got every week--when there is nothing new.
    i feel bad for the guy, but it's so pointless.
    plus, he's just really weird. not the guy i want to be chummy with.
    it's just totally depressing and such a waste of time.

other flea market pet peeves--

when i look through a pile of records or 45s and am about to leave and the vendor has to say, "what, my prices too much for you?"

no, jerk--a dollar isn't much -- but when it's nothing but herb alpert, mantovani's and polkas- i don't want any.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I cant relate this topic seeing that there aren't flea markets downhere, much less one's that sells old vinyl.I can tell you one thing though,i remember someone commenting on how unfair it was to pay 10$ for a lp that should be priced at 1$ when it was actually a semi-valuable record,in Jamaica the average price of all lps regardless of condition [/b] is between 8 & 10 US dollars [/b] and if it is local music from the past i dont even bother to ask the price.

PS. i agree with faux rillz,to use a jamaican expression "We nuh buy puss innna bag" translation "we need to see what we are buying" i'm definitely going to ask for the seal to be broken,if i was ever to buy a record for 100$ US.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    in Jamaica the average price of all lps regardless of condition is between 8 & 10 US dollars and if it is local music from the past i dont even bother to ask the price.

I've always wondered what shops down there are like

Do they have stores like NYC where they'll be $8-10 new pressings of classic material from all the old JA artists though? And a bunch of classic 45s reissued for like $2-4?

• in Jamaica the average price of all lps regardless of condition is between 8 & 10 US dollars

??? Really? C'mon, there must be spots down there...

• in Jamaica the average price of all lps regardless of condition is between 8 & 10 US dollars

Are you being serious? Dude, there are no "spots" in Jamaica. You are talking about a third world country, they are not really trippin off selling old records. There are a few folks that deal in that stuff and they know what they have, it is not nickel and dime. If you want a selection of used reggae London or Toronto are your best bets...

Most old records get destroyed down there, from what I understand, and the attitude is that if you can get a new pressing or a cd why fuck with an old one?

Do they have stores like NYC where they'll be $8-10 new pressings of classic material from all the old JA artists though? And a bunch of classic 45s reissued for like $2-4?
    Yes the stores downhere carry some(very small portion)of reissues,the ones done locally are usually not up to scratch badly done though.I see some of the Trojan ones here,but there's no place here on the level of a place like a Turntable Lab.Their reggae section puts all stores outhere to shame.

Most old records get destroyed down there, from what I understand, and the attitude is that if you can get a new pressing or a cd why fuck with an old one?

True i also have a theory that most of the surplus record stock is melted down and recycled to make new dancehall 45's(for the foreign market) which are in the decline downhere nowadays anyway because of the advent of the Cd Mixers.None of the popular sound systems here use turntables again.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Yes the stores downhere carry some(very small portion)of reissues,the ones done locally are usually not up to scratch badly done though.I see some of the Trojan ones here,but there's no place here on the level of a place like a Turntable Lab.Their reggae section puts all stores outhere to shame.

No sir. Check out ebreggae.com ( )

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Going to flea markets in Ohio is an interesting thing, depending on where you go. There are 2 kinds:

1.) The former Hills / Ames / name-your-1980s-big-box-that-went-out-of-business store flea market, complete with leftover shopping carts.

These have dedicated dealers as well as the random crap dealers, along with the obligatory past-date spraypaint guy, new cheap Chinese tool guy, and the new cheap random weapons guy.

I find the record inventory tends not to cycle. Why this is I have no clue, but I've sorted through the same Lena Horne cover-with-Pearl Bailey record inside many a-time. These vary from "6 for $5" on up to the $20 Springsteen guys.

2.) Outdoor flea market in a dirty gravel parking lot.

These are more like the random basement junk crowd interspersed with the occasional "NatureStone" and bootleg Tommy jeans booths.

Records here are usually garbage but if you'd like some records that would be good had they not been used as a cutting board, this is the place.

These also have a higher percentage of Amish/Menonite patrons, which does nothing for records but surely is a bonus for those of us that need a new butter churn.

These are going upscale as of late because, well, Amish stuff is kitschy.

I've never seen a cover charge for a flea market.

story of my life...this is exactly how it is in KY, all the doods got is KC and the sunshine band, oh and cher

Yup the spots that have records for between 8 & 10 US dollars regardless of condition and rarity .
    The only plus is that sometimes they aren't up on the price of the US records,but the frequency of the turnover of stock when it happens [/b] makes this process of collecting very tedious.

No sir. Check out ebreggae.com ( )
    Seen and noted

• Are you being serious? Dude, there are no "spots" in Jamaica. You are talking about a third world country, they are not really trippin off selling old records. There are a few folks that deal in that stuff and they know what they have, it is not nickel and dime. If you want a selection of used reggae London or Toronto are your best bets...

Was your sarcasm meter turned off? But seriously, I had heard that Jamaica was fairly dry, and this confirms that. As you said, third world countries are almost always not organized as far as records or collectibles go - you'll usually only ever have market type situations with a few records scattered here and there.

• Man, this is your inner little dude talking.

Fall back, poptart.

Not enuff starch in your collar, Young Regatta. U mad?

Starch? In the Young Regatta's collar? Never that, Son:

Get with the growed and well-throwed. Prop your collar.

And to Magnetic:

PS. i agree with faux rillz,to use a jamaican expression "We nuh buy puss innna bag"[/b] translation "we need to see what we are buying" i'm definitely going to ask for the seal to be broken,if i was ever to buy a record for 100$ US.

I thought the expression was "pum pum inna gunny sack"?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bump

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I don't know if this was brought up before in this thread. Pet Peeve of mine is bathroom attendants at the flea market. Is it really necessary???