The Flea Market Pet Peeves Thread

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    these are all on the money, i especially hate the "i'll give them all to you for a deal". i get that one EVERY week. like dude, if you se me start to walk away without ONE of your records, i dont want ALL of them. fuck, i hate that.

flea markets have been really dry around here recently

Ah HA! That's universial I guess, get that a lot.

Just the bad attitude like they are TSL. One lady was really pissy and said "your not going to sell these on e-bay are you?" So fucking what if I am? She said she was tired of people cleaning her out and then making a bunch on e-bay!

1. Your records aren't that good.
    2. Get a fucking computer and do it yourself if your shit is worth so much.
    3. Stop selling records cuz this happens to every seller.

Another thing is the "top dog" customer that goes every couple days (cuz he has no job) and bullies you if he thinks your getting something before him.

I even got into it with a guy over a book. I picked it up had it for a minute then the guy comes up "I was getting that." "Oh really? That's why it was sitting there on the shelf why you were yapping 5 feet away."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

- When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

Actually, I get annoyed when a legit dealer won't let me crack a seal in order to verify that there's no warping. I will promise to pay you the price you're asking if you allow me to verify that the item in question is what it purports to be and not a f**king pressure warped fruitbowl.

Almost all sealed records, in my experience, are warped a little; sometimes the warp is so minor as to be almost unnoticeable but I think it's fair to not give the customer the option because I've seen dudes be like, there's a .05 cm lip warp! Cut off $20!!!

I mean, the enterprising collector should be able to tell if a sealed record is pringled just by examining the jacket/seal carefully. Can I get a hand model up in this piece?

I am with Paycheck. Somethings in life are just a gamble, and the old sealed raer is one of those gambles.

Not when I'm spending $100+.

yo seriously though man are you nickle & diming to spend $85 on a $100 record with a very slight warp or are you worried about getting a pringle? Because the latter is very easy to tell.

Nah, the latter--like you said, I'll assume a certain amount of warp in a sealed record and factor that into what I'm willing to pay to start out with.

I just don't think the various external signs are as foolproof as you do.

... "hey you are into records right" ?

"Um, yes, I do collect records"

"I know this guys who wants to get rid of a TON of records just tell me what you are looking for and what you want to pay"

"thank you and goodbye sir!"

Another universial.... "my friend has 100 moldy Perry Como LP's and 1 beat up White Album and we need some sucker to take them off our hands"

• ... "hey you are into records right" ?

"Um, yes, I do collect records"

"I know this guys who wants to get rid of a TON of records just tell me what you are looking for and what you want to pay"

"thank you and goodbye sir!"

If you are around on fleamarkets on the regular,
    you get to know a lot of people.

So sometime in the future they will ask you the obvious

"Hey you are into records right"

... get the picture ??

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    if someone tells me they know someone whos got a ton of records, i'll take the chance and check them out. why wouldnt you?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

- When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

Actually, I get annoyed when a legit dealer won't let me crack a seal in order to verify that there's no warping. I will promise to pay you the price you're asking if you allow me to verify that the item in question is what it purports to be and not a f**king pressure warped fruitbowl.

Almost all sealed records, in my experience, are warped a little; sometimes the warp is so minor as to be almost unnoticeable but I think it's fair to not give the customer the option because I've seen dudes be like, there's a .05 cm lip warp! Cut off $20!!!

I mean, the enterprising collector should be able to tell if a sealed record is pringled just by examining the jacket/seal carefully. Can I get a hand model up in this piece?

I am with Paycheck. Somethings in life are just a gamble, and the old sealed raer is one of those gambles.

Man, this is your inner little dude talking.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Fall back, poptart.

if someone tells me they know someone whos got a ton of records, i'll take the chance and check them out. why wouldnt you?

Never hurts if you have the time. But the catch is they usually want to give them a list and how much you will pay so it's a bit of a scam. If they would actually let you come over and go through them it might be worth it. Even then I went to look at about 3000 LP's once and it turned out it was almost all country (which is what they ment when they said oldies!!!!!). Couldn't find anything worth while except a couple Johnny Cash records and they wanted $12 each and acted all pissy that I wasn't taking everything. It's like "Dude I told you what I was looking for, you kept the term oldies vague so i would drive 30 miles. I should be pissy with you!"

• if someone tells me they know someone whos got a ton of records, i'll take the chance and check them out. why wouldnt you?

because the one who asked you is one of those regular fleamarket dealers who would first try to get a knife in your back than to let you have your hand on a beatles/elvis/whatever old and valuable album.

In my experiences even meetings with 1000+ records in front of you end up with either prices that are or the albums were just incredible average shit that you would never touch.

I meant it about
    being into collecting records = other people think you take every shitty vinyl

• iconicon 86 Posts
    When hipster idiots need to get in the way to thumb through one crate, pulling out some 80s band to impress their girlfriend with it I>"Remember Human League? Aren't I funny?"/I>

This is just a general digging annoyance of mine, except mine includes those who will start looking through boxes next to me when there a ton of boxes over there that they can go through, or the people that start looking through records in a multi purpose kind of spot simply cause you're looking through them, just to see if they're missing out on something. They quickly give up after the first 20 records when they realize they have no idea what they're looking at. Dumbasses.

I also (dis)like the off kilter dealer who talks to me too much about some useless zydeco band they used to play in and if I bought those kinds of records. Or the dealer who claims about how he has stacks of stuff at his house but are quicker to give out the "no, we can't go through records at my house" response. Like he's whetting my apetite just enough to pull it back.

Fall back, poptart.

Not enuff starch in your collar, Young Regatta. U mad?

• I'm with you kraut. Folks with this pitch (esp. at stores) are usually trying to use you to price their records for them, not for the purpose of selling them to you. I had a dude do this to me at a local hip hop spot, fronting like he was looking to sell some of his collection. I wrote out a wantlist for him, never heard back. I guarantee he took every one of those records straight to ebay.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I had a dude do this to me at a local hip hop spot, fronting like he was looking to sell some of his collection. I wrote out a wantlist for him, never heard back. I guarantee he took every one of those records straight to ebay.

For reals, you told me that story and I'm glad I don't deal with that foll or his crappy shop.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love 'em when i can get good records, but i haven't fucked with em in a minute, and hit some this weekend and was reminded why. so i channeled my inner fatback/d-dot and i'mma tell you why i'm mad (of course bear in mind when i say "dealer" i mean old man who found a stack of his sons records, this isn't directed to record guys at flea markets, that'd be a whole nother thread):

- When a "dealer" prices their records for anything more than $2 or so. Seriously, I'm not getting up at 5/6/7 am and getting my knuckles dusty and my knees scraped (no homo) digging through your shit to pay $10. If I wanted to pay bloated and ill informed prices on records i don't even particularly want I could've gotten up at noon and gone to a record store. I know you NYC special friends talk about spending double digits regularly at fleas. That's why I hate you and your city.

Noz I agree with you on most of your rant, however I can't see being mad at spending more than $2 at a record. Yes you got up real early or didn't sleep at all the night prior so you can go to these things and cop rackords, but these dealers did the same thing, and they had to lug all this heavy ass vinyl with them too. I sell on occasion and I price my records relatively cheap (in comparrison with Ebay). But I ain't getting up at 4 am carrying a shitload of crates down setting them up just so some guy can try to get one over on me.

When I come to the swap as a seller I sell most of my stuff for $3 - $20, when I come as a buyer I usually carry somewhere between $100 & $300 in my pockets just in case I see something I truly want. I'm not tripping on price, I'm just thankful I got the album.

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love 'em when i can get good records, but i haven't fucked with em in a minute, and hit some this weekend and was reminded why. so i channeled my inner fatback/d-dot and i'mma tell you why i'm mad (of course bear in mind when i say "dealer" i mean old man who found a stack of his sons records, this isn't directed to record guys at flea markets, that'd be a whole nother thread):

- When a "dealer" prices their records for anything more than $2 or so. Seriously, I'm not getting up at 5/6/7 am and getting my knuckles dusty and my knees scraped (no homo) digging through your shit to pay $10. If I wanted to pay bloated and ill informed prices on records i don't even particularly want I could've gotten up at noon and gone to a record store. I know you NYC special friends talk about spending double digits regularly at fleas. That's why I hate you and your city.

Noz I agree with you on most of your rant, however I can't see being mad at spending more than $2 at a record. Yes you got up real early or didn't sleep at all the night prior so you can go to these things and cop rackords, but these dealers did the same thing, and they had to lug all this heavy ass vinyl with them too. I sell on occasion and I price my records relatively cheap (in comparrison with Ebay). But I ain't getting up at 4 am carrying a shitload of crates down setting them up just so some guy can try to get one over on me.

When I come to the swap as a seller I sell most of my stuff for $3 - $20, when I come as a buyer I usually carry somewhere between $100 & $300 in my pockets just in case I see something I truly want. I'm not tripping on price, I'm just thankful I got the album.

Guz, I think the West vs East flea is really the issue here. It sounds like Fleas/Swap Meets out there are almost like impromptu record shows, with dealers concentrating only on LPs. On the East Coast, I think that is more rare, I know in DC it is almost alway Fred Sanford types who buy out storage units, buy bulk junk, clean out dead people's basements. These guys don't know condition, don't have anything sorted, just bring out the stuff along w/the toasters and old furniture. I don't mind an inflationary bump to maybe $3, but it's silly to have record store prices at what is essentially a mobile junk shop.

• don't get me wrong, i absolutely love 'em when i can get good records, but i haven't fucked with em in a minute, and hit some this weekend and was reminded why. so i channeled my inner fatback/d-dot and i'mma tell you why i'm mad (of course bear in mind when i say "dealer" i mean old man who found a stack of his sons records, this isn't directed to record guys at flea markets, that'd be a whole nother thread):

Guzzo, he was talking about "DEALERS" pricing like that. Right?, I think, I don't know.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Guz, I think the West vs East flea is really the issue here. It sounds like Fleas/Swap Meets out there are almost like impromptu record shows, with dealers concentrating only on LPs. On the East Coast, I think that is more rare, I know in DC it is almost alway Fred Sanford types who buy out storage units, buy bulk junk, clean out dead people's basements. These guys don't know condition, don't have anything sorted, just bring out the stuff along w/the toasters and old furniture. I don't mind an inflationary bump to maybe $3, but it's silly to have record store prices at what is essentially a mobile junk shop.

your right, Here in Los Angeles theres really only a handful of swaps that happen. Most nboatbly the PCC swap in Pasadena. There is an entire section of the flea market dedicated to just records and it's defintly the same cast of characters slanging. Truth be told I barely walk around the other sections of the flea cause I really don't think of myself as bargain hunting when I hit these things, I only got "digging" on my mind

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    yeah birdman got it right. in dc it's sanford country for sure. up here there will be a few dealer types who come out when they're not doing shows, but they're not really what i'm talking about.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    For the benefit of my westcoast brethren:

We have two main flea markets here in Raleigh, NC. One is outdoors (hot as hell in summer, frostbiting in the winter) and covers the gamut of antiques, new knicknacks, people cleaning out their house, tools, cheap DVDs, and even one guy who sells nothing but old rope. I go there pretty much every week, and half the time come out with some decent records for a buck or two apiece.

The other flea is indoors (with more sellers in the parking lot) and sells mostly new junk, haircuts, and farm-fresh produce to a mainly Hispanic clientele. Recordwise, there is one indoor record dealer who occasionally has the odd underpriced soul/rap/jazz gem, but who usually concentrates on selling KISS collectables to the white mulletheads and 80s speedmetal to the latin kids.

I have since learned to always ask about prices BEFORE I wade through the muck.

I ALWAYS DO THIS. Saves the trouble of the "surprise collectable pricing" syndrome.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    There's "Sandford" outfits and operations in most swaps out on the west coast. PCC is an anomaly with the section of records, though.

yeah birdman got it right. in dc it's sanford country for sure. up here there will be a few dealer types who come out when they're not doing shows, but they're not really what i'm talking about.

And to be fair, down here, I don't think prices have changed much in the last 6 years(maybe gone from 1$ to 2$)but I have not been to the Fleas in a year. Too early and Neville and Harry have that game sewed up. But I may surprise them yet again.

• I'm not tripping on price, I'm just thankful I got the album.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    my worst case of "buying the whole stack" story:

I was cruising around upstate NY around Albany, but in the middle of nowhere - wound up @ a generic antique store, a decent candidate for stacks of records. Went in and didnt see any- asked the owner if I he had any...sure enough he points to his garage, and he's got a couple big crates full in the back. He says,"check 'em out..." so I walk in and thumb through that shit. He's giving me the usual lines:

"Oh thats a classic!" --> beat up Steely Dan, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, blah blah. I go through the whole lot and find about three sort of decent records in good shape, thinking I'd pay $10 max. Then he's all "you have to buy the whole lot, make an offer." - Umm, no thanks, thats about 150 shit records I don't want. I say "I'll take these 3".

Dude gets really bent, starts cussing and shit. "Fucking waste of time! No deal, all or nothing!"

I would have given dude some actual money for a few, what damage could that do? I walked the fuck out. What a jackass.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    this is what i hate and it may rub some of you the wrong way. When there's some record people there at the stall with their portables. they put their portables on the crates, spread out, make a little set up and wind up blocking like 4 crates or boxes. They have like a hundred records, listen to each one for a second, chose the ones they want randomly and then just kind of leave their refuse pile all over the place. Bugs the shit out of me and happens all the time.

• this is what i hate and it may rub some of you the wrong way. When there's some record people there at the stall with their portables. they put their portables on the crates, spread out, make a little set up and wind up blocking like 4 crates or boxes. They have like a hundred records, listen to each one for a second, chose the ones they want randomly and then just kind of leave their refuse pile all over the place. Bugs the shit out of me and happens all the time.
    BUGS THE F OUT OF ME TOO!!! and you gotta go through the records ever so lightly so you dont skip their shit! damn that bugs me. STEIN. . . .

• something about getting up at 6a.m on a sunday, picking up a like minded friend, making a fat pot of coffee and driving to some crazy locale filled with junk makes me geeked.

yeah, some of these people are nuts, and collecting and ebay has inflated alot of shit, but thats another reason why its so hilarious, and makes it better when you find something good. all about bieng at the right place at the right time first, and dont forget that 99.9 percent of it is going to be crap.

been missing that shit since i moved to chi-town. no car and the sunday morning commandos are still back home.

• - When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

Is 100.00$ a lot of money?

but yo..my flea market pet peaves:

SOME OF MY LOCALS ONES START AT FUCKING 4-5 IN THE AM! Dudes! It doesn't fit my dj/in-the-club lifesteezo. Maybe for a convention I'll make the effort and do it but damn....I dunno Flea Markets just don't do it for me.

Asking the dudes "Yo man, do you have records?" and his/her reply would be "yeah come back in 5 minutes". 5 minutes later "uh....sorry no records yet come back in half-an-hour". I just start thinking "this motherfucker was too busy putting out crusty ass pornos and baby-doll heads to actually pull out some merchandise somebody with money was looking for? WTF!?!?! That's your bum-ass is selling garbage at a fucking flea market.

Getting "high-balled" by some of these low-life skid row motherfuckers. Dog...don't quote me 15 on a fucking messed up copy of "Everybody loves the sunshine". The 5$ I offered was more than generous, actually kinda stupid. The fact that you'll take 5$ as opposed to 15$ right away makes it even more obvious your shit isn't whats happening.

The last time I went to a Flea Market I pulled a Sylvers III w/ no fucking record.

deeeyum

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I just start thinking "this motherfucker was too busy putting out crusty ass pornos and baby-doll heads to actually pull out some merchandise somebody with money was looking for? WTF!?!?!

HOLY SHIT that's hilarious

Man, this thread is great.

Noz, I feel you on every single point. And what is it about dealers forever baiting you like "oh you think this is alot? You should see what I have at home!".

Bah. Fucking records.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    something about getting up at 6a.m on a sunday, picking up a like minded friend, making a fat pot of coffee and driving to some crazy locale filled with junk makes me freaked:(

• i'm glad my procrastinating-ass can entertain the man.

but yo..

one time I went to a flea jump-off with Jinx and some old russian dude had a stack of not-so-raer-raers (which where pretty torn up). I asked dude if he could give me a break but instead he blurted something in Russian, grabbed the whole stack out of my hand, and broke 'em over his knee. I just laughed,walked away, and thought "damn, I should of asked if that meant the records where half-off now".