israel vs the sewer/refuge camp

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    ^^^^

That is fucked up.

I know the conflict is deeply rooted and super complicated, but Israel always seems to bring the hammer down much harder than it needs to.

To be clear, I am not picking a side because I don't trust the media and I can't know all the details of who fired first and why. I'm just disgusted with the needless death of children.

• fuck all you hoes

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I think it has been proven, that Hamas and Israel's enemies do not have the weapons, forces or will to annihilate Israel.
    On the other hand Israel Has proven that despite having the weapons and forces they do not have the will to annihilate all Palestinians.

Actually I think the correct formulation is:

Israel's enemies have the will -- but not the means -- to annihilate Israel.

Israel has the means -- but not the will -- to annihilate all Palestinians.

• suck all the butts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I guess John Kerry's doing a better job than we thought.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    LaserWolf said:

I think it has been proven, that Hamas and Israel's enemies do not have the weapons, forces or will to annihilate Israel.
    On the other hand Israel Has proven that despite having the weapons and forces they do not have the will to annihilate all Palestinians.

Israel has the means -- but not the mandate-- to annihilate all Palestinians.

Fixed

Flomotion said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    LaserWolf said:

Israel has the means -- but not the mandate-- to annihilate all Palestinians.

Fixed

If it has the world in its pocket, why does it even need a mandate?

And now I'm on the same side of the argument as Melanie fucking Phillips. Lord Jesus help me.

Today a sign, tomorrow a brick.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Oh the irony...

Do we suddenly decide to demand the collective punishment of a whole population and its creative industries for the actions of its leaders. Strange, that.

Maybe read these things before poasting?

Nothing you can ever say or do will convince me that wanting an end to the murder of children is racist.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    parallax said:
    ^^^^

That is fucked up.

I know the conflict is deeply rooted and super complicated, but Israel always seems to bring the hammer down much harder than it needs to.

To be clear, I am not picking a side because I don't trust the media and I can't know all the details of who fired first and why. I'm just disgusted with the needless death of children.

I agree 100% with this sentiment. I also agree 100% with the cool-headed analysis of Rootless who throughout this thread has run circles around the knee-jerk anti-Israeli brigade queueing up to be knocked down. Israel comes down way too hard, but come down they must. 2 State solution = only solution. Palestinians must reject Hamas and by dint the annihilation of Israel. By the way , Hamas "started it" (that's the bit you quote me on to pick at)

Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Oh the irony...

Do we suddenly decide to demand the collective punishment of a whole population and its creative industries for the actions of its leaders. Strange, that.

Nothing you can ever say or do will convince me that wanting an end to the murder of children is racist.

Yes, I did read it, thanks. If you can't or won't see the broader point I'm trying to make here, then I won't waste any more of my time. Next time you're on a Free Palestine march, and someone marching next to you strikes up a chant of "Death to the Jews", be sure to tell them - in the strongest possible terms, of course - "no kids!"

I'm done here.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Jews need to turn off the Iron Dome for a few days so that some of their kids are killed by the hundreds of rockets being sent their way to make this a "fair war".

b/w

Yeah, that was sarcasm

• the iron dome is a very effective defense system, Israel should be very thankful to the U.S. for providing it.

but instead, we get speeches on the floor of congress in opposition to the sitting President in the middle of an election year, expansions of settlements in direct defiance of the international community including the United States, and now a punishing war against its own occupied territory in which more than 2/3 of the casualties have been civilians, many of them children. and they call it "cutting the grass".

it baffles me that even Israel's supporters in this thread can argue with a straight face that this will somehow benefit Israel in the long run. All this has done is strengthen Hamas, inspire a new round of worldwide terrorist recruitment, ensure that a two-state solution will be even more impossible than ever, and weaken Israel's standing not only internationally but even within this country, their only remaining friend.

Pretty sure I said this at the top of the thread, but it appears pretty clear that Israel does not give a shit about anyone (U.S. included) and is determined to go it alone, secure in its ability to defend itself militarily and spatially from any outside aggression. Have fun with that.

DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Oh the irony...

Yes, I did read it, thanks. If you can't or won't see the broader point I'm trying to make here, then I won't waste any more of my time. Next time you're on a Free Palestine march, and someone marching next to you strikes up a chant of "Death to the Jews", be sure to tell them - in the strongest possible terms, of course - "no kids!"

I'm done here.

So

Free Palestine = death to Jews

Boycott Israel = Hamas are saints

Condemning the murder of children/civilians doesn't mean I'm not against racism in any shape or form. But of course, if I'm critical of Israel, I must be a goose-stepping racist, ready to throw bricks at synagogues.
    Israel apologists need a better defence than the racism card, and a fucking sense of perspective when they trot out shite like the quote from the article above.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    The Times of Israel have since taken this down, but apparently they thought it was fine to publish it in the first place:

"As other bloggers pointed out, The Times of Israel does not edit or review pieces before publication."

wtf kind of operation are they running over there?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Oh the irony...

I'm done here.

So

Condemning the murder of children/civilians doesn't mean I'm not against racism in any shape or form. But of course, if I'm critical of Israel, I must be a goose-stepping racist, ready to throw bricks at synagogues.
    Israel apologists need a better defence than the racism card, and a fucking sense of perspective when they trot out shite like the quote from the article above.

Dont fret, a nice cup of tea will sort this out.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The Jews need to turn off the Iron Dome for a few days so that some of their kids are killed by the hundreds of rockets being sent their way to make this a "fair war".

b/w

Yeah, that was sarcasm

You're a fucking idiot.

No, that wasn't sarcasm.

skel said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Oh the irony...

I'm done here.

So

Dont fret, a nice cup of tea will sort this out.

The last march in London included numerous Jews - so there's some critical thinking going on outside of Israel, while within, the support for the current hostilities is either at 93% or 97%. This is doubtless because Israeli coverage focuses on the fatalities of just one side.

Rockadelic said:

b/w

Yeah, that was sarcasm

No, the Israelis, not the Jews, there is a difference. Try to understand that part and maybe this won't seem like such a black & white argument.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Ceasefire broken and looks like the fighting is only going to escalate with the kidnap of the Israeli soldier.

F*ck.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    No, the Israelis, not the Jews, there is a difference. Try to understand that part and maybe this won't seem like such a black & white argument.

Tell these dudes

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    the iron dome is a very effective defense system, Israel should be very thankful to the U.S. for providing it.

but instead, we get speeches on the floor of congress in opposition to the sitting President in the middle of an election year, expansions of settlements in direct defiance of the international community including the United States, and now a punishing war against its own occupied territory in which more than 2/3 of the casualties have been civilians, many of them children. and they call it "cutting the grass".

it baffles me that even Israel's supporters in this thread can argue with a straight face that this will somehow benefit Israel in the long run. All this has done is strengthen Hamas, inspire a new round of worldwide terrorist recruitment, ensure that a two-state solution will be even more impossible than ever, and weaken Israel's standing not only internationally but even within this country, their only remaining friend.

Rockadelic said:
    Duderonomy said:

Tell these dudes

Luckily Qatar is just talk at the moment. How much of it can be as a result of the treatment of the Palestinias? On a scale 0-100%? Is it 0? Was Qatar making these statements about Jews before Israel existed?

There doesn't need to be a "winner". Looking in from the outside, there can't be. Israel only wins when it has exterminated the last Palestinian. Palestinians only win when they do the same to Israel. Which is the more likely outcome, and who would be the sick fuck to call themselves "winners" on the back of genocide?

Peace is the only option. This is known as a draw.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

No religion ever killed anyone. People kill in the name of religion, misusing religion as shield for their evil.

yeah guns don't kill people, either... :-S

Even Fox News are being critical FFS:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/01/what-about-palestinian-right-to-freedom/

It really is the end of times! Cats mating with dogs! Fox News making sense!

Duderonomy said:

The last march in London included numerous Jews - so there's some critical thinking going on outside of Israel, while within, the support for the current hostilities is either at 93% or 97%. This is doubtless because Israeli coverage focuses on the fatalities of just one side.

and this ridiculous remark is doubtless because you don't read Israeli coverage.

Duderonomy said:

Luckily Qatar is just talk at the moment. How much of it can be as a result of the treatment of the Palestinias? On a scale 0-100%? Is it 0? Was Qatar making these statements about Jews before Israel existed?

radical Islamism does not exist because of Israel, something you (and the Arabists at the US State Department) don't seem to understand.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Duderonomy said:

and this ridiculous remark is doubtless because you don't read Israeli coverage.

Not exhaustively no, but I had read that Israeli coverage was partisan and preferred to believe this could be behind the near unanimous support for war. There must be other reasons.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Duderonomy said:

radical Islamism does not exist because of Israel, something you (and the Arabists at the US State Department) don't seem to understand.

So they were explicitly making speeches calling for the death of Jews prior to the creation of Israel?