World Cup sh*t tawk

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Frank said:
    vintageinfants said:
    remember that time Costa Rica and Italy switched bodies?

id give my right nut to be back in Tamarindo, CR right now.

I'm dj-ing here in San Jose, CR tonight... this is going to be interesting...

there's going to be nuclear levels of Pura Vida out tonight.

Our neighborhood is on fire already...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DB Cooper IS Costa Rica

Wonder how Harvey is getting on

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    at least England aren't alone in their embarrassment, right?

I need a break. Can't keep up with the awesome.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Loving it all!

I'd've rather seen Ingerland make it a bit further, as I recognize most of their players, but whatever. You guys LOVE it, even if you won't admit it. English soccer fans are at their best when they're doing that half complain half resigned defeat half rage ting. If you started winning again it'd be less fun. Boston Red Sox, in a way. I felt sorry for Gerrard when I saw his face after that second goal. But then I did some mathS and remembered he's gotta be mega rich so it's all chyll.

Brazil looks amazing.

I'm hyped for Sunday.

• CONCACAF teams making a pretty big statement here.

Costa Rica smoked Uruguay, the 7th-ranked country in the world (and first country to legalize marijuana) last Saturday. Next up for Sloth Kong: The Italians.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Congrats to Costa. A great display of teamwork.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    And I mean Brazil the country--the HD broadcasts, the giant beautiful mess--looks amazing. The team is Brazil, but they ain't no USA USA USA!

lol

I'm starting to think Brasil are slightly fucked against either Holland or Chile. The team is used to sleepwalking their way into the quarter-finals, at which point they either wake up or go home. They won't have that luxury this time and I don't think the routine drubbing of a shite Cameroon is going to help.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    skel said:
    DB Cooper IS Costa Rica

I AM SAYING

I actually have more of a rooting interest in Costa Rica at this point than I do the United States.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Oh my god...that is amazing.

also, you know what deserves a red card? That official World Cup font. That fucking font. Makes comic sans look pleasant.

• benzema for the boot. has had a touch on all 8 goals for France so far, scoring 3.5.

• France is basically putting on a clinic at this point.. The swiss look beyond defeated.

how the fuck did Ecuador lose to that team?

Yeah, how's it feel now, Herr Blatter?
    And you, Credit Suisse tax dodge enablers, and you, UBS nazi gold safe havenistas, huh?

• AYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Okem said:
    I don't think anyone thought England were 'good enough' did they? realy? It's been patently obvious we're not, for years.

We are better than our performance and results though, but they didn't get the tactics right in either game so it's of no great surprise they got beaten. You can't play with a back 4, 2 holding midfielders and 4 forwards then expect flowing football and a balanced defence. Sure, you'll look better in attack but you need more than that in a WC game.

It's interesting that the FA appears to be backing Hodgson for Euro 2016. Probably the most encouraging aspect has been the more positive style of play, but even then the gap in technique and quality between England and the two sides they've come up against has been obvious. Evidently, the FA believes Hodgson can close a bit of that gap - or he's convinced them he can.

Ironically, they'd have benefitted from a bit of Route One last night. But whack it up front to which big man? They weren't the only team left without a Plan B when their regular game didn't work, though (*waves to Spain and Italy*).

• I think Spain and England both had possible B plans in other players within their squads. The coaches chose to stick with their original gameplans, even when on the brink of elimination.

I would have brought on Lambert in the second half. I think he'd had caused the tiring defenders a different problem than Sturridge and created more space for England.

As for Spain, they had Koke and Villa sitting on their bench, players who have both been in great form this season and also capable of producing something different for the team. I understand the temptation to stick with the players that have been so successful in the last three tournaments but it was blatantly obvious knowing their pedigrees that they were not on their game.

Lionel Messi.

Fuck me, I think I can count the bad games in one had.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I think with time and experience this England squad can get a lot better. There seemed to be this ludicrous idea that they could turn up and play like Liverpool do. Maybe when they've got a better balance in the midfield they could, but it wont happen overnight. It took Rodgers a season or so to get Liverpool ticking, Woy deserves that kind of patience. Also Liverpool without Suarez is a much tamer prospect, so it's not the greatest idea anyway.

The worse thing England could now do is lose faith due to a bad result and revert back. Hopefully next time we wont come up against such a tough group, but getting beat by Italy in the semis isn't really a lot different to getting beat by them in the groups.
    We need to find a good balance and then develop our tactics and teamwork. England has always had a good group of individual players but a bad team, hopefully bringing through the youth early can changes that.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    It hurts me to say but Argentina is looking shaky. I think there's some internal dramas or some bullshit because they have played lukewarm and barely beat two very lesser teams. If they had played like that against a top ten squad they would have paid dearly for it. They need to hit Nigeria for at least 5 gols and shake whatever macumba* shit the Brazilians have cursed them with or bring in Tevez ;)

Messi and them are playing good at certain moments but something just aint clicking and this is supposed to be the team they purposely built around Messi... As someone who has the albiceleste in his veins and "che boludo" as part of my daily dialogue I am not convinced atm that we can win the world cup**.... they need to fire up....

I've said it before that the last few world cup Argentina has been like the guy with the biggest dick at the orgy who can't get a full boner.... Its painful to have so much potential and get nowhere.... LRPMQLRMP!

But at least we haven't lost yet... a half assed win is still a win....

*I'm honestly starting to believe some samba voodoo has been done... Maradona needs to fly to Cuba asap and hook up some of his Santero amigos from over there to counter the curse ;)

** But at least I'm not Ingeralish or a Tano ;P

It's clear that Messi tells the coach what to do coach don't like it; squad don't then respect coach. Whole country don't take to Messi.
    There may be trouble ahead!

Poor old Iran, played like heroes.
    Which makes it a crying shame that they will likely get beheaded as pre-match entertainment on return to Tehran, for make purpose of next lot try harder (word to Jimster)

Go Ghana!!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Man, that Ghana/Germany match was Klose.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    What Ayew Gyan do, Germany?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    What Ayew Gyan do, Germany?

Hahah