World Cup sh*t tawk

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Okem said:
    Lovely goal from the Kings of Mayo

That rip from Dries was awesome. I think Belgium is about to get in their zone and stat rifling off a bunch of shots. They are camped out on Algeria's side of the field.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    in case there were any lingering doubts about the greatness of this World Cup:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Brasil, decime que se siente
    Tener en casa a tu papá
    Te juro que aunque pasen los a├▒os
    Nunca nos vamos a olvidar
    Que Diego los gambete├│
    Que Cani los vacun├│
    Están llorando desde Itália hasta hoy

A Messi lo vas a ver
    La Copa nos va a traer
    Maradona es m├ís grande que Pel├®.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    for Duder:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Right.. so I just took down the names of most of the people who've shown an interest in this thread.. i may have missed some but i reached 32 and called it a day.

I put the list of names and teams in here https://www.random.org/lists and this is what came out.

1 laser wolf
    2 bassie
    3 1000fm
    4 harveycanal
    5 jectwon
    6 utters
    7 dukeofdelridge
    8 skel
    9 okem
    10 optimus lime
    11 jlee
    12 musicdelalma
    13 DB Cooper
    14 badder than evil
    15 meep
    16 flomotion
    17 pcmr
    18 Jimpster
    19 vintageinfants
    20 duder
    21 DOR
    22 magpaul
    23 BIgSPliff
    24 ppadilha
    25 cai
    26 asstro
    27 lokoone
    28 earthings
    29 parallax
    30 toby.d
    31 doc mccoy
    32 genePontecorvo

1 Korea Republic
    2 Netherlands
    3 Nigeria
    4 Portugal
    5 Honduras
    6 Belgium
    7 Cameroon
    8 England
    9 Germany
    10 Iran
    11 Colombia
    12 Uruguay
    13 Costa Rica
    14 Croatia
    15 Ecuador
    16 France
    17 USA
    18 Spain
    19 Japan
    20 Mexico
    21 Argentina
    22 Bosnia and Herzegovina
    23 Ghana
    24 Russia
    25 Algeria
    26 C├┤te d'Ivoire
    27 Greece
    28 Australia
    29 Switzerland
    30 Brazil
    31 Italy
    32 Chile

I ended up with a pretty good selection, so if you want a redo we may have to find a neutral.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ^^^^^^^
    Top, top post

I AM England

Yes

Right, I am in the Braziliana restaurant with me bestest mate, table booked til the witching hour, bottled Brahma on waitress service, bowls of feijoada on order for 8

Excellencao

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Resident champions.

LET US DO THIS.

Does that list (and the correspondence of my name being in the 5 spot) mean I'm riding for Honduras hence forth?

I can do that....

EDIT:

Doing a lil research so I can celebrate appropriately when my new team goes ham... I'm thinking I might try to do what the lil dude at the :40 second mark is doing.

Yes, you ARE Honduras

YMD

skel said:
    Yes, you ARE Honduras

YMD

I'm cool with that....now I cannot rest until I've found some Honduran beer somewhere in Charleston SC...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    At least Honduras are there.

Scotland and Dem... Fall back, thuns.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    for Duder:

I'm more than comfortable with my role in this.

b/w

In the name of Santa Maria and all that is holy, c'mon MEXICO! You can beat these samba flunkies.

b/w

Giles Peterson 2 hour Brasilian mix for Radio 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045qg0x

• if that list is any indication, id say the Americans care a LOT more about the soccerball tournament than they let on........

• Duderonomy said:
    Giles Peterson 2 hour Brasilian mix for Radio 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045qg0x

Sort of related, but I'm kind of disappointed how non-Brasilian much of the music has been on the UK television coverage. The BBC are using Stevie's "Another Star" as their main music bed, and I also heard some Cymande in the build-up to the Argentina match the other day, but no Brasil?

ITV usually gets muted as standard, but I can't even recall what they're using.

I was hoping some hipster researcher/sound editor would try to sneak in some Arthur Verocai at the very least.

vintageinfants said:
    if that list is any indication, id say the Americans care a LOT more about the soccerball tournament than they let on........

Nah, man...over here it's all handegg, diabetes and AR-15's.

JectWon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    if that list is any indication, id say the Americans care a LOT more about the soccerball tournament than they let on........

Duderonomy said:
    JectWon said:
    vintageinfants said:

OK ok ok ok ....handegg, diabetes, AR-15's AND cool intercontinental explosions.

Just kidding...that info-graphic is actually really cool.

Mexico's keeper has put in a Gandalf you-shall-not-pass performance so far.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

I've posted this elsewhere but thought I'd share here....discussed this over lunch today with my buddy from the UK and he tends to agree.

WHY SOCCER WILL NEVER BE BIG IN THE U.S.

I'm not Anti-Soccer, I just understand why it will never be very popular in the U.S. For the most part(there are exceptions....see San Antonio Spurs), the greatest athletes outside the U.S. play Soccer/Football. The best athletes here usually choose one of 3/4 other sports before Soccer. Therefore we will never be real good at it and most Americans only like to root for a winner.

I believe there is also a cultural dynamic in the U.S. that will prevent Soccer from becoming a top sport. I know I will get criticism for this but I call 'em like I see 'em. Growing up in the U.S. everyone has experienced the stereotypical jock/fratboy/douchebag that dominate the popular U.S. sports through their school years and into the pros. These folks alienate those not like them....they are the guys who picked on their classmates not unlike the jocks in the movie "Nerds". This stereotypical behavior (Most stereotypes exist because they are mostly true) causes a chunk of our society to have no interest in the "Big 3" sports because of the association of the two. One of the sports that does not suffer from this dynamic is Soccer. So many of the folks who have disdain for the popular U.S. sports for the above reasons and disdain for the "Murica #1" crowd turn to Soccer as "their" sport. And that is simply a minority. Interestingly, the exact opposite is true in Europe...the Soccer thugs who cause riots, etc. are the EU version of our jock/fratboy/douchebags,

Oh shit....yellow card free kick in minute 79 for Mexico?

Rockadelic said:
    Therefore we will never be real good at it and most Americans only like to root for a winner.

Being good at football has never stopped the English being crazy for it!
    And like England, if the money is there, you can just bring in the talent from abroad for club competitions.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Goalkeeper is truly killing it. The Brazilians choosing to try and go through him rather than around the sides though.

• the foot on guardado is roberto carlos-ian

Damn, my sweepstake team is starting to look alright. The keeper was amazing. 0-0, but I enjoyed that.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa PUUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

LaserWolf said:

Ha!
    Well played sir

B/w every other word in Brazilian bar was a variation of puta or puto, mixed with the odd Brahma