Why White Hipsters Are Wankers

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I DJ at that club. Shit is mad corny.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

The girl on the left is cute, but still, this night gets a ....

X 70000000[/b]

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1125047084d_word">

Are We Going Now?[/b]
    MEET ME THERE. I'LL BE THERE IN THE WHITE HEADBAND AND THE SHIRT WITH SEQUINS AND DEAD RAPPA'S ON THEM ... (IRONICALLY)

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• corny.

• it's a safe environment to be freaky
    it's a safe environment to be freaky
    fuck everyone.

This kinda shit makes me non-ironically wanna kill white hipsters kids.

• it's a safe environment to be freaky
    fuck everyone.

This kinda shit makes me non-ironically wanna kill white hipsters kids.

But so do sideways trucker caps...

• The girl on the left is cute=

your monitor isn't on, is it?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    honestly, i'm suprised to see everyone getting gased up over this... it's 2005, the irony train has been running strong for like 10 years... can you really say this is soooooooooooooooooo shocking???????????? yeah, i see the flyers and i think it's wack, but my opinion is irrelevant, b/c i don't go out to bars and drop 50 bucks every night... and something to think about, cosmo and ayres, do you really think your audience recoginizes the difference between his irony and your sincerity... or is it just GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-UNIT all around??????????

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    I agree that this is corny & I'm sick of hipsters thinking they invented irony. this night is probably in bad taste but I don't think it's that sinister. Isn't immitation the greatest form of flattery?

Where do you draw the line? most of the white folk on here no doubt have used hip hop slang for comic value, have danced ironically to corny hip hop songs at a party, dressed up or mimicked certain hip hop artists/cliche's for fun???

Is it ok for white strutters to appropriate black culture because they are down/respectful but not these people at kill whitey because they are chumps?

If I had to go to kill whitey no doubt the people would really piss me off but if they need this kind of environment to let their hair down & get sexy are they really hurting anyone? Isn't the joke on them?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

That shit is so fucking lame.

"Kill Whitey"? I wish these people would start with themselves.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Yeah this shit sucks. Yeah its lame. Yeah I disapprove.

But fuck it, I just wont go. Im not incredibly offended. It is what white people do.

Simmer down everyone.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    what'll they think of next?!

those crafty kids...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

"Kill whitey!" yells Tha Pumpsta into the microphone as he bounces to the beat. "What . . . gonna . . . do dance . . ." he raps to the beat. "Kill whitey!"

"It's based on the idea that things that are funny are the deepest."

He shrugs.

"If you don't see it's funny," he said, "I can't help you."

I can think of some people who might have taken issue with that.

"It's based on the idea that things that are funny are the deepest."

• The only thing I can say is at least reggae's not involved. They love mixing some reggae and "kill whitey" with fake locks and stupid accents.

SONIC

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Isn't immitation the greatest form of flattery?

It seems like the best way to do like black people do is to not go to Kill Whitey.

• Right now I've never been more ashamed to call some of you people my friends or equals, and your reactions truly sicken me. I'm more dissapointed in your selective times to be offended than I am at the story Oliver posted and I am not joking in any way.

-Adam

nobody cares, fuckface

• Isn't immitation the greatest form of flattery?

It seems like the best way to do like black people do is to not go to Kill Whitey.

I think this is a point -

Black people couldn't throw a "Kill Whitie" party and have people think it's cute, even if it's in jest. First of all that shit wouldn't be a sidebar human interest story (look how crazy these young white kids are!) it wold be full scale news complete with lots of smart ass people using that stupid fucking made up word "reverse racism". Second, the cops, either on their own or by upper eschalon orders, would clamp down on that party so hard, only nuns and librarians could get in. Third, it would only add fuel to a media fire that's dead bent on making the black community look like folls, criminals, and uneducated.

The whole concept and title is in itself an exercise of white privilage.

When black people get together and talk about killing whitey the CIA fucks 'em up, when white people do it it's cute.

SONIC

• this guy looks like a

another funny thing, i ride my bike to work, and frequently take the Williamsburg bridge. Well, there's a little sentence spraypainted on the bike/pedestrian path. I forget the exact words but it's something like this:

"All honkeys in Williamsburg can eat a dick"

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I think the party probably needs to be understood within it's milieu - Williamsburg, a post-collegiate trust-fund playground where 20somethings attempt to be transgressive through outrageous behaviors, developing drug problems & choosing shocking online names like 'rape donkeys'...

seems harmlessly stupid to me.

---

• BlowFlyBlowFly 89 Posts

It is what white people do.

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Isn't immitation the greatest form of flattery?

I think this is a point -

Black people couldn't throw a "Kill Whitie" party and have people think it's cute, even if it's in jest. First of all that shit wouldn't be a sidebar human interest story (look how crazy these young white kids are!) it wold be full scale news complete with lots of smart ass people using that stupid fucking made up word "reverse racism". Second, the cops, either on their own or by upper eschalon orders, would clamp down on that party so hard, only nuns and librarians could get in. Third, it would only add fuel to a media fire that's dead bent on making the black community look like folls, criminals, and uneducated.

The whole concept and title is in itself an exercise of white privilage.

When black people get together and talk about killing whitey the CIA fucks 'em up, when white people do it it's cute.

SONIC

Well it would work the other way around wouldnt it?

White dudes COULD NEVER (and should hope do god they wouldnt) throw an ironic "Lynch Blackie" party. But, blacks could to be ironic.*

*although both scenarios are in poor taste..

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Holy fuck that makes me want to fly out there and bash that guy's face in.

Yo, I'll kill you, whitey.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm really apathetic on this one, but I'll throw out a hypothetical question. Is this any different than black people calling themselves niggaz?

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    I'm really apathetic on this one, but I'll throw out a hypothetical question. Is this any different than black people calling themselves niggaz?

in this case, the whitey's are listening to black music.
    I don't think too many people calling themselves niggaz are listening to whitey music. I could be wrong?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yea, but isn't the use of the word niggaz ironic? Like kill whitey?

• I'm really apathetic on this one, but I'll throw out a hypothetical question. Is this any different than black people calling themselves niggaz?

I think most oppressed and/or minority groups co-opt white mainstream slang to make it their own. Example: gay dudes who call each other fags and queens lovingly, jews who make light of their culture (check out HEEB magazine), black people using the terms "negro" and "nigga".

The difference between that and when white people do it is a history of dominance and intimidation and the origin of the word (usually by white people to seperate or demean a minority). White dudes (homogonized anglo-centric christian heterosexual culture) run this game. They make the rules. Everybody else is gotta live by them or be ridiculed and/or excluded. I think these terms are a way of minorities taking some power back. It says to white people "you are excluded from OUR dialogue, I can say niggaz, but if YOU do, I'm going to fuck you up!".

Which I think is O.K., it really pisses white people off when a minority decides to name themselves, exclude THEM, or go against anything white culture says is acceptable. How many closet racists got pissed off historicaly over the accepted use of "African American" or even "Black" and even further back to "Negro". They didn't like that. So if black people wanna call themselves "Darker than midnight soul people who can dance better than honkies" I'll play ball because it's their culture and their game, and if it's offensive for me to call them that, I'll feel a little bad 'cause I think it's a cool name, but I'll refrain from it.

SONIC

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

can I just take this opprotunity to say that, as a white hipster not into hip hop, this is how all white "DJ types" look look to me. scary, huh?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Direct this question to Mark Grubstein, a 36-year-old artist, and he says the Kill Whitie parties speak to something inside of him. "I make art about that, that's my life," he said. "It's based on the idea that things that are funny are the deepest."

He shrugs.

"If you don't see it's funny," he said, "I can't help you."

Grubstein is my boy.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    don't knock the hussle people.

i don't see how this shit is any different than a long long tradition of club nights that bring "the exotic other" to the local hipster cogniscenti. I mean fuck they used to have disco clubs with naked chicks riding tigers and dudes painted gold on some "african queen" type steeze. You got kids goin nuts all over the UK for nights where you go in your old private school uniforms. Hell in toronto we have nights like Big Primpin which as the advertising says is hiphop for homos. We got slow dance nights, and plenty of nights where the dj really isnt that important to the overall vibe of the shindig.

this is just the nature of the game. Remember that music is suppossed to be about fun and dancing. If people want to get there hype williams on i dont see how thats so shocking or offensive. frankly this stuff makes alot more sense than people wanting to check out some sort of throw back africa medalians no records past Done By The Forces of Nature type steeze.

at the end of the day the word is PARTY.

i think there's a huge deal of haterism going on here as per usual. i'll bet this dude plays 90% of the same shit as alot of the hip hop cats on here. And if he's got a floor and a packed club to the same tunes y'all are playing how can you really knock dudes hussle?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Kill Whitey - for white people who like hip hop but are afraid of black people.