Soul Strut 100: # 31 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

12346»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have no expectations other than that the folks I'm with and I can hear each other over our meals and don't have to yell.
    I have heard both WTC and some piercing Eric Dolphy at restaurants.
    Playing no music at a restaurant is fine, too.

I have no more responses to cool/uncool, soft-batch etc. I don't listen to what I listen to prove anything.

I like "mellow" stuff, too....mellow does not equal boring or middle of the road to me.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

whoah wtf is this?

her catching the chair is like the most badass thing I've seen all yr.

I'm mesmerized by the fluidity with which she catches the chair.

srsly holy fuk.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

whoah wtf is this?

srsly holy fuk.

JEDI

rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

whoah wtf is this?

srsly holy fuk.

Yea, where/what is this?
    I am confused that there's a bunch of folks in matching red and white tops and three random ladies in club wear in what looks like a school auditorium or cafeteria. Is this a highschool????

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Trans-gendered beauty pageant in Charlotte, North Carolina.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    peep the skinny lil thing cowering behind her.

see, that is why you always need a big girl on your team.

I don't think I've ever listened to Endtroducing all the way through. To James' point, just never fucked with it at that moment in my life, and never could go back to it due to the extremely brambled path leading there.

HarveyCanal said:

This is the best answer possible in the the whole wide world of possible answers.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

This is the best answer possible in the the whole wide world of possible answers.

SIRUS said:
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He barefoot too!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    batmon said:
    He barefoot too!

He/she also never drops his/her purse. That's kind of impressive when you're throwing tables and catching chairs.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    SIRUS said:
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yes. And lets end this thread on this note. Please.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

it's not over until the nazi's appear or it morphs into a discussion of savory soul food recipes.

• Bring on #30 in the countdown. At least six pages of this thread haven't been about the music anyway.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Are we to assume that The Private Press has an even higher spot on the list? Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't yet seen that one in the countdown. I actually listened to The Private Press last night and it did seem even more disjointed that I remember, though I do love the way he put it together as such -- "this tape collection gets bigger every time" or whatever. Still, for me that beautiful little sample at the beginning of the woman recounting some trip she recently took in a very happy/melancholy way -- the album somehow didn't live up to the mood struck by that little snippet, if that makes any sense at all. Good record but I wanted some transcendent moody shit!

Mr. Attention said:
    Bring on #30 in the countdown. At least six pages of this thread haven't been about the music anyway.

Yeah like you are now.

• batmon said:
    Mr. Attention said:
    Bring on #30 in the countdown. At least six pages of this thread haven't been about the music anyway.

Yeah like you are now.
    Touch??.

Okay, I'll bring it back to the actual content. Some of my favorite moments from the album:

- the way "Baby Don't Cry" is chopped in "The Number Song"
    - the early Metallica bassline sample in "The Number Song"
    - the closing drum break at the end of "Number Song" (what is that from? That Sabo record?)
    - "Changeling" is one of the best tracks he ever made; every sample is perfect and used at the perfect moment. I come back to this song the most.
    - The untitled interlude introduced me to that Human Race joint.
    - That "Midnight" interlude toward the end of "Stem" is fantastic.
    - The Pugh Rogefeldt drums with the Bjork sample on "Mutual Slump"? Blew me way in '96 (and I still dig it.)
    - "Organ Donor", even though he topped it with his "Extended Overhaul" version later.
    - "Midnight" in its entirety.
    - "Napalm" in its entirety, especially the 2nd half with that crazy drum programming.
    - The Giant from Twin Peaks (and the intro to the BOB reveal) at the very end of the record.

• Oh, and this sample, which was finally revealed only a few years ago:

Book on Endtroducing DJ Shadow Related&Remastered;

ENDTRODUCING OR PRIVATE PRESS?

Endtroducing vs Donuts

Luke and Josh could make a great instrumental lp

Shadow (why did he fall off?)

• rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

whoah wtf is this?

srsly holy fuk.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It doesn't appear to be the first time he/she's thrown a table.

You can "take it outside, take it outside, take it outside" all you want, but that deposit was gone a long time ago...as is next year's venue.
    Here's hoping the good people at the Shriners' Hall don't know how to work YouTube.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Been meaning to post in this thread for a bit... my two cents anyways.

I agree with Batmon's post earlier I don't think anyone was doing what Shadow did on Endtroducing (that thoroughly and skillfully) at the time. Me and most of my mates were already well entrenched into hip hop and digging etc. so this album wasn't a gateway but it was an example of how hip hop style production could be taken to another level IMO. Most cats I rolled with were already following Shadows MoWax stuff so this album had some anticipation and expectation (I already had the Whats Your Soul Look Like ep...still one of my fav pieces of vinyl) and I don't think he disappointed. He just nailed it. Edgy, experimental but still solid and rocking.

Maybe for those that checked it out later the timing/context of it is missed and the impact is less... but anyone that was around and into hip hop at that time has to admit what Shadow did on that album was next level shit. I think not having to cater to rappers and trying to fight the 'trip hop' labelling he had gotten influenced a lot of the end product. I guess this was also his first full album so the dude would have had his heart and soul (and years of work) invested in it. I can still play it from start to finish and enjoy it as a whole piece or drop individual tracks and be amazed.

I think (good or bad) this album also opened up alot of non-Hip Hop heads to respect hip hop sample-based music. I was rolling with lots of 'proper' musicians at the time and for many of them hearing Entroducing blew away a lot of their misconceptions that all hip hop beats were big rip offs of other ppls music.

Sidenote: Before the album dropped Shadow toured OZ and I was lucky to sit in on a long, deep and wonderful discussion between Shadow and a few older music collectors who knew their shit. The convo ranged a whole lot of topics but a lot of the stuff that Shadow says in the albums liner notes was expressed by him and he had this wider view of music and its possibilities within the hip hop framework than anyone I had heard at the time. I was young and a lot of the shit he said went over my head till years later but he basically put a lot of those ideas he was discussing into the album, maybe that's why I like it so much. I don't think the aim was to cross over, or make money or even blow up in the hip hop scene. I think this album was more personal than that and it comes across when you hear it.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Mr. Attention said:

- the closing drum break at the end of "Number Song" (what is that from? That Sabo record?)

It starts around 10:45.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    LokoOne said:

I agree with Batmon's post earlier I don't think anyone was doing what Shadow did on Endtroducing (that thoroughly and skillfully) at the time. Me and most of my mates were already well entrenched into hip hop and digging etc. so this album wasn't a gateway but it was an example of how hip hop style production could be taken to another level IMO. Most cats I rolled with were already following Shadows MoWax stuff so this album had some anticipation and expectation (I already had the Whats Your Soul Look Like ep...still one of my fav pieces of vinyl) and I don't think he disappointed. He just nailed it. Edgy, experimental but still solid and rocking.

Maybe for those that checked it out later the timing/context of it is missed and the impact is less... but anyone that was around and into hip hop at that time has to admit what Shadow did on that album was next level shit. I think not having to cater to rappers and trying to fight the 'trip hop' labelling he had gotten influenced a lot of the end product. I guess this was also his first full album so the dude would have had his heart and soul (and years of work) invested in it. I can still play it from start to finish and enjoy it as a whole piece or drop individual tracks and be amazed.

I think (good or bad) this album also opened up alot of non-Hip Hop heads to respect hip hop sample-based music. I was rolling with lots of 'proper' musicians at the time and for many of them hearing Entroducing blew away a lot of their misconceptions that all hip hop beats were big rip offs of other ppls music.

Sidenote: Before the album dropped Shadow toured OZ and I was lucky to sit in on a long, deep and wonderful discussion between Shadow and a few older music collectors who knew their shit. The convo ranged a whole lot of topics but a lot of the stuff that Shadow says in the albums liner notes was expressed by him and he had this wider view of music and its possibilities within the hip hop framework than anyone I had heard at the time. I was young and a lot of the shit he said went over my head till years later but he basically put a lot of those ideas he was discussing into the album, maybe that's why I like it so much. I don't think the aim was to cross over, or make money or even blow up in the hip hop scene. I think this album was more personal than that and it comes across when you hear it.

Lost me at "mates".

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    so, to summarize: DJ Shadow = Quentin Tarantino of hip-hop?

technically good, drops all the right samples, a gateway to deeper shit that a casual consumer wouldn't have known about otherwise but at the end doesn't really stand up to serious scrutiny and seems kinda shallow after repeated listens?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    That sounds about right! I was a Tarantino fanboy around the same time I was a Dj Shadow fanboy.

Thanks everyone for the spirited discussion!

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    She throws a table. Jesus.

can't believe nobody posted this

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    LokoOne said:

Lost me at "mates".

I guess next time I should consult with the 'neighbourhood elders' about what the accepted terminology is.... ;-)