Zero Dark Thirty

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Is there a thread on this yet?

It was aight; not amazing. It absolutely shows torture as having been instrumental in locating bin Laden. So the idea that it's "ambiguous" or whatever on this point is bullshit.

It's funny; when we killed Osama, I posted on FB the very next day that Richard Edson should play him in the movie...only to have his doppleganger (Fares Fares) star in the eventual movie...but not as Osama.

I still say Edson looks strikingly like UBL...but not as much as Fares Fares does....perhaps Fares Fares should play Edson in the eventual biopic...*postmodern*

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• Huh? Where's that coming from?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry. Nothing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Is Chris Pratt as hilarious as he is on Parks & Recreation?

• I think he's one of the Navy SEALs; no real laughs in this movie I'm afraid.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    so how does it end?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Homeland, Zero Dark Thirty and Argo...all Golden Globe winners- you know you're really in trouble when Hollywood hates you.

• PrimeCutsLtd said:
    so how does it end?

**SPOILER ALERT**

Osama gets merked.

And the single-minded, dedicated public servant whose life revolves around his capture is left feeling empty.

Kind of a trope, really. Like the dude in Hurt Locker who couldn't hang with living as a normal civilian after all those months in Iraq; he was only "whole" when killing bad guys or whatever. Eyes were rolled for sure.

This dude was in it; I'm a fan:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0835016/

• bassie said:
    Homeland, Zero Dark Thirty and Argo...all Golden Globe winners- you know you're really in trouble when Hollywood hates you.

Homeland and Zero Dark are aimed at Arabs, Argo at Iranians. So I guess there's that.

speaking of Homeland, the main character in the bin Laden movie was basically a less nuanced version of Claire Danes's character; I'm obviously not breaking ground with that parallel, but it was pretty striking to me (I guess having been watching a lot of Homleand lately).

definitely smiley face worthy

• It wasn't meant as a joke.

• Both Homeland and Zero Dark make it a point to include "good" Muslims or Arabs in supporting roles (that's my impression of the respective filmmakers' intent, not my own characterization of these characters).

Argo makes some limited attempts at placing the revolution in context, though there aren't really any sympathetic Iranian characters as far as I can remember.

The Zero Dark movie purports to rely on some secret sources; hard to really separate fact from fiction because so much of that stuff is classified; as a result I wasn't really sure how to properly evaluate the movie.

I found it interesting that Gandolfini was credited as "CIA Director" rather than as Leon Panetta. He was good (he always is) but there wasn't much of him.

• i thought this movie was pretty god damn good but nowhere near as good as Point Break.
    (what is though?)
    when the SEALS guys are tossing the pigskin around,
    i was really hoping for a sand football game,
    but no dice.

i liked it better than django, but django will def age better.
    (when's the last time you pulled out Hurt Locker to watch again?
    me neither.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Argo makes some limited attempts at placing the revolution in context, though there aren't really any sympathetic Iranian characters as far as I can remember..

Didnt the Ambassador's maid keep her mouf shut when they came to the house to ask questions.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The torture/enhanced interrogation parts were very uncomfortable.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    bassie said:

Homeland and Zero Dark are aimed at Arabs, Argo at Iranians. So I guess there's that.

speaking of Homeland, the main character in the bin Laden movie was basically a less nuanced version of Claire Danes's character; I'm obviously not breaking ground with that parallel, but it was pretty striking to me (I guess having been watching a lot of Homleand lately).

Less nuanced that Clare Dane's character? Was there steam coming out of her ears and some free in the CD changer?

• batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Argo makes some limited attempts at placing the revolution in context, though there aren't really any sympathetic Iranian characters as far as I can remember..

Didnt the Ambassador's maid keep her mouf shut when they came to the house to ask questions.

ah yeah I forgot that.

so Affleck made a point to check that box after all.

• white_tea said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    bassie said:

Less nuanced that Clare Dane's character? Was there steam coming out of her ears and some free in the CD changer?

yeah, less nuanced. Like, Chastain was a single-minded, obsessive, driven female with no capacity for making a human connection....and Claire Danes is a single-minded, obsessive, driven female with a limited capacity for making a human connection who's bi-polar!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

How so? I imagine what happened for real was much, much worse. We got the Disney version.

• rootlesscosmo said:

yeah, less nuanced. Like, Chastain was a single-minded, obsessive, driven female with no capacity for making a human connection....and Claire Danes is a single-minded, obsessive, driven female with a limited capacity for making a human connection who's bi-polar!
    I watched Chastain's interview/appearance on the John Stewart Show and evidently her character in the movie based upon a single, actual person, not a composite. Chastain did not meet her (the CIA operative she played is still undercover) but other CIA sources say the woman in question would call people on their shit and has been passed over for promotion. One of her colleges said if you cannot get a promotion after finding UBL, what does get you a promotion in the CIA.

• Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

How so? I imagine what happened for real was much, much worse. We got the Disney version.

while the film was mildly entertaining, it left me with an awful taste in my mouth.

i also found the torture parts (enhanced interrogation is a euphemism) extremely unsettling and upsetting. that shit was pure evil going down, i wonder if we will ever know the extent of it. how many people died from that torture? the lead actreses line that the torture vicitm can help himself by being honest is beyond the pale, any person with an ounce of integrity or humanity would have been out of there in a flash. also, the depiction as torture being difficult on the torturers themselves is kind of perverse.

i think that movie is defintiley pro-torture. the link to the courier is supposedly only found out after marathon torture sessions that reduces the subject to animalisitc level. there are also a few throw away lines about obama administration hamstringing the terror investigations by giving detainees habeas corpus rights.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Propaganda film of the year!

cove said:
    Propaganda film of the year!

• yeesh! Good thing there's video games to tide these freaks over.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    damn ughhh

I appreciate that Dalton Rowe doesn't want to cross the line and write out bad ass, but feels comfortable expressing his desire to shoot brown people.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• Thought it was excellent, almost like a DAY OF THE JACKAL in reverse. I'm into cinema, not polemics though.

• crabmongerfunk said:

i think that movie is defintiley pro-torture.

lol how so? wasn't it pretty much ineffective?

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the film. In my opinion, it was in no way biased for or against muslims or middle easterners. I understand that there are aspects of the film that are inaccurate but at the end of the day, I don't see how it'd be even remotely possible to fully recreate what had transpired.
    Obviously there are inherent flaws in extracting information from suspects with torture as people will most likely say anything to make it stop whether it's the truth or not.

All in all, very well done.