Who's Pumped for Veep Debate?

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DOR said:

Romney's a former mormon bishop correct? So he performed these ceremonies?

Yes to both. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/18/1092755/-Romney-Admits-He-Personally-Baptized-Dead-People-Without-Prior-Consent

But it's ok, because he pays lip service to others' freedom of religion (see contraception and the Catholic Church)

Plenty of things to dislike about Romney that his religion shouldn't be an issue. However, this is really scum of the earth stuff, IMO. I say that as a non-believer.

• DOR said:
    I just watched this video. I'm confused. Does this mean mormons do these baptize rituals for say, dead Jews and such?

(Video Snipped Out)

As to your first question, yes Mormons do baptize folks after the fact (after their deaths) into the faith. Its not just Jews they are baptizing into the faith after they have died.

Also, converting Jews while they are alive is also a high priority. When my father would travel to Eastern Oregon (which has a large Mormon population) as a part of the State Mental Health program his was courted by the local Mormons heavily.

[strike]As to your follow up question, did Mitt Romney in his capacity as a Mormon Bishop preside over such ceremonies, unknown.[/strike]

In light of BV's post, yep. Awesome.

• DOR said:
    I just watched this video. I'm confused. Does this mean mormons do these baptize rituals for say, dead Jews and such?

(Video Snipped Out)

As to your first question, yes Mormons do baptize folks after the fact (after their deaths) into the faith. Its not just Jews they are baptizing into the faith after they have died.

Also, converting Jews while they are alive is also a high priority. When my father would travel to Eastern Oregon (which has a large Mormon population) as a part of the State Mental Health program his was courted by the local Mormons heavily.

[strike]As to your follow up question, did Mitt Romney in his capacity as a Mormon Bishop preside over such ceremonies, unknown.[/strike]

In light of BV's post, yep. Awesome.

Are you guys comparing baptizing to murder?

If so, that is ridiculous. Their is nothing wrong with being Mormon. To each their own.

• GatorToof said:

If so, that is ridiculous. Their is nothing wrong with being Mormon. To each their own.

:NO:
    I get the sense that you are

So,
    :walk_away_son:

GatorToof said:

Are you guys comparing baptizing to murder?.

I can't speak for Saracenus, but I most certainly am.

Nothing more morally egregious than a baptism, except perhaps an unwanted baptism. Murder is child's play in comparision, don't ya know?

:bizzo: :get_on_my_level:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Saracenus said:

Also, converting Jews while they are alive is also a high priority.

Conversion period, right?

I see Watchtower and other Christian off-shoot pamphlets left around transit now and then, but no one is as aggressive as Mormons sending teens to roam buses and subways approaching riders.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

Plenty of things to dislike about Romney that his religion shouldn't be an issue.

I'm really surprised there's been no mention of this yet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/10/20/romney-family-investment-ties-to-voting-machine-company-that-could-decide-the-election-causes-concern/

• bassie said:
    Saracenus said:

I see Watchtower and other Christian off-shoot pamphlets left around transit now and then, but no one is as aggressive as Mormons sending teens to roam buses and subways approaching riders.

I'm shocked. The Mormons aggressive? I've had nothing but gentle experiences with Mormons, including when I accidentally broke my collar bone while wrestling with one.

I think those little blurry black and white scanner boxes just anywhere are aggressive. They are the thing 'converting' people into the digital world and they remind me of the old Joe Cool cigarette ads.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    GatorToof said:

I wasn't comparing. And there is nothing wrong with being mormon... My issue was this idea of baptizing anyone after they are dead. Without their consent. Using children over and over as some sort of vessel. I'd say my issue with Romney would be if he did these things as a bishop to me would be a touch disturbing to say the least.

Part of me feels like this is the whole reason Romney is running. Not for some devious plot. But just to add some sort of legitimacy to the mormon faith.

• JustAlice is an original strutteur. She's been here for years.

GatorToof has got to be some kind of internet bot.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    JustAlice is an original strutteur. She's been here for years.

Nobody has bothered to ban left wing Bot Vivant and Thymebot, so thus we now have right wing Gator Bot to contend with.

Unless something is done...more bots to follow.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bassie said:
    Saracenus said:

I have never seen this. Is this common in TO?

Here missionaries (Mormon teens) delivery copies of the Book of Mormon to people who have answered ads that say something like "Find out how Jesus can make your life better", and then hit them with the pitch.

Rockadelic said:
    Man up and place the blame where it belongs, on murdering savages who don't deserve our empathy or understanding.

Understanding your enemy, realizing they are human, not savages, should be the first step in defeating your enemy.

HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Nobody has bothered to ban left wing Bot Vivant and Thymebot, so thus we now have right wing Gator Bot to contend with.

Ban the Paultard.

Let me add that the only reason I could be considered left wing is the fact the GOP has veered so far to the right in the past 12 years with guys like DeMint, Joe Walsh, Alan West and racists like Ron Paul.

I'll wear that banner with pride considering the alternative.

LaserWolf said:
    bassie said:
    Saracenus said:

I have never seen this. Is this common in TO?

Here missionaries (Mormon teens) delivery copies of the Book of Mormon to people who have answered ads that say something like "Find out how Jesus can make your life better", and then hit them with the pitch.

I have been seeing them for years.They travel in pairs - always white, late teens/early 20s, dark slacks/white shirts/backpacks for the boys and Big Love-type gear for the girls, name tags, Book in hand. They get on the bus, train, etc., split up, approach, start small talk, then launch into it. They stay polite, but get pushy if the person is not interested. They mostly target people of colour.

Only folks who have ever come to my door are Jehovah Witnesses and they know how to take no for answer.

Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Ban the Paultard.

Let me add that the only reason I could be considered left wing is the fact the GOP has veered so far to the right in the past 12 years with guys like DeMint, Joe Walsh, Alan West and racists like Ron Paul.

I'll wear that banner with pride considering the alternative.

Doesn't matter if you are left or right when above all else you are an asshole of epic proportions.

These political threads are really killing the appeal of this site. And I say that as someone guilty of stooping low enough to take part in them.

And this is far from a new thing. So please DO SOMETHING!

Bon Vivant said:
    the only reason I could be considered left wing is the fact the GOP has veered so far to the right.

So true.
    I don't consider you left wing in any way.

BV and TB coming here and calling for the ban of OGs is NAGL.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    These political threads are really killing the appeal of this site. And I say that as someone guilty of stooping low enough to take part in them. So please DO SOMETHING!

HarveyCanal said:

These political threads are really killing the appeal of this site. And I say that as someone guilty of stooping low enough to take part in them.

Is this really the case tho? The site can't handle 1 or 2 political threads at election time? I'm sure people that don't care, don't come in here to look around.

What kills sites is people not taking part. Expressing their opinions and contributing. If you can't take people posting shit, the internet is the wrong place to be.

DOR said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Is this really the case tho? The site can't handle 1 or 2 political threads at election time? I'm sure people that don't care, don't come in here to look around.

What kills sites is people not taking part. Expressing their opinions and contributing. If you can't take people posting shit, the internet is the wrong place to be.

There are 3 specific people/bots in here that kill it.

It was bad enough when it was just one of them, but now 2 others have joined in to make anything resembling a discussion excrutiating. Also, election or not, a political thread shouldn't ALWAYS be sitting at the top of the thread list on a music site. That being said, I'd be curious to know if any of the 3 bots bothered to vote in the Scorpioff. Not that I actually want them to, but it would be a very telling inquiry if you ask me.

Saves thread instantly.

I was in Europe when riots broke out, first in Egypt, over the movie.

So the news I saw was likely different than the news many here saw.

So first let me correct myself. The riots were not over the movie.
    An Egyptian tv personality presented selected images from a low budget on line movie that up till then no one had bothered to watch. Along with showing and talking about parts of the movie this tv host encouraged his outraged views to take to the streets and protest and riot. I am sure there are dozens, maybe 1,000s of other online videos he could have used to the same effect.
    If we want to talk about condemning speech, let's condemn this Egyptian tv video jockey.

That said, I doubt the statements out of any other administration would have been much different.
    The statements were measured and qualified and diplomatic.

Lets move on to Libya, something we are likely to hear lots about tonight.
    This happened, I think, 2 or 3 days after protests started in Egypt and the day after the yard at the US embassy in Egypt was overrun and our flag taken down.
    Everything I read in Europe said, it is still unclear whether it was protesters who did this or a planned terrorist attack that was using the protests as cover or even if there were protests at all.
    I think one reason why the reporting might have been so different is because the European press was reluctant to print US government press releases as fact.
    There were no journalists there to witness the attack.
    If journalists went later they were unable to find eyewitness who could give a convincing account.
    In the US, press releases were reported as fact. In Europe press releases were noted with caveats.

Thymebomb13 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    BV and TB coming here and calling for the ban of OGs is NAGL.

If you can show me where I have called for anyone to be banned I'll give you a big fucking Einstein cookie. Okay?

But since I haven't done any such thing retract your bullshit statement. Now.

That wasn't fair of me. Let me clarify, TB coming here is NAGL.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DOR said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I think the hope is that this place could be a notch or two above, say, the comments section of a Yahoo news article.

Maybe that's a pipe dream.

It didn't use to be.

Snarky, smug, over-bearing defensive posts outweighing positive contributions seems to be the running theme with the more recent posters - both in political threads and music ones.
    One didn't have to point out or thank Strutters for keeping it civil and refraining from low-blows.