Who's Pumped for Veep Debate?

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Romney just fucked up!!!!!

• Zombie John Hamm is dying out there...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    The urban guy kicked Willard's ass back up through his eyeballs.

It was a thing of beauty. Except for the ass and the eyeballs.

I'm sure the right-wingers have a list of inappropriate Obama grins or something, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

:feelin_it:

• New things I learned from Romney:

Single mothers are the cause of gun violence

through calculated innuendo I learned women shouldn't be paid as much as men because they have to go home early because they have to make dinner for their husbands and kids

Interesting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Theatrically speaking what people should remember was Obama's closing statement, which was his hardest slam of Romney.
    But this is not typical theater. Bits and pieces get repeated and dissected repeatedly.

Yeah, Obama won, yeah Romney lied, yeah they were beating their chests. Yawn.
    In the first debate the loser failed to show up and got whooped.
    In this one the challenger held his own, even if he didn't score a win.
    Some pundits are saying that Obama won the debate, but Romney won on the economy.
    I doubt we will see the kind of the poll swings we saw last week. Maybe, Obama did slightly better than stopping the slide.

Romney lies.
    I think if Obama said that Romney believes that the sky is blue, Romney would jump up and say 'that's not true, under my administration the sky will be all colors to all people'.
    Romney supporters know he lies and are happy about it.
    Last night Romney said that automatic weapons were outlawed. Not quit true, as his NRA supporters know.
    Semi-automatics that were outlawed under the Assault Weapon Ban are now (federally) legal as are large capacity clips. Automatic weapons are legal, but highly regulated.
    Romney's supporters love that he lies about this stuff. The top one percent know that Romney is going to take care of them and screw the middle class. They are all happy that he lies.

Obama said "gangbanger". What would soulstrut think if Romney said gangbanger?

For me the high point of the night was Romney endorsing affirmative action.
    The Supreme Court is revisiting affirmative action again, because there is now a strong anti-AA majority on the court.

Romney has come out with a full explanation of his tax plan:
    http://www.romneytaxplan.com/

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Romney has come out with a full explanation of his tax plan:
    http://www.romneytaxplan.com/

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

holy shit has this been posted? Romneys Son... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAA

• staxwax said:

holy shit has this been posted? Romneys Son... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAA

looks like a young martin landau

I'm getting more of a Bela Lugosi vibe...

Really guys?
    Is this the level of analysis we want?
    Making fun of peoples family?

Especially when there are so many other great faces in that pic.
    Is the son really any scarier than Anne?
    What about the guy in the front row with the fake hair and beard? Did you see that widows peak?
    What about the Dick Cheney looking guy? Looks like a steel pole was shoved up his ass.

Really, I expect more from all you all.

• LaserWolf said:
    Really guys?

What about the guy in the front row with the fake hair and beard? Did you see that widows peak?
    What about the Dick Cheney looking guy? Looks like a steel pole was shoved up his ass.

LaserWolf said:
    Really guys?

If thats Romneys corner those folks are definitely on some The Munsters meets Mars Attacks! type steez. John Waters and Tim Burton know whats up.

I'm saying.
    These people are so far removed from any world any I can relate to they are scary.
    Even if I could relate they would be scary.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Theatrically speaking what people should remember was Obama's closing statement, which was his hardest slam of Romney.
    But this is not typical theater. Bits and pieces get repeated and dissected repeatedly.

i thought the hardest hitting bit was when obama was 'offended' by romney's remarks regarding lybia's next day and obama politicizing what happened. it was something along the lines of "they were part of my team and no one was sorrier than me. to suggest that i didn't care about it is offensive, governor". serious look on the face, low voice, everything: emotional appeal, leadership rea-affirmed, etc. i actually noticed a slight change in the atmosphere during that part, if that is even possible through TV. i could be wrong of course.

btw, the bits and pieces repeated etc is a very important point. after the first debate, how many undecided voters swung towards romney not because they thought he won, but because they heard or read he did?

Dante said:
    LaserWolf said:

i thought the hardest hitting bit was when obama was 'offended' by romney's remarks regarding lybia's next day and obama politicizing what happened. it was something along the lines of "they were part of my team and no one was sorrier than me. to suggest that i didn't care about it is offensive, governor". serious look on the face, low voice, everything: emotional appeal, leadership rea-affirmed, etc. i actually noticed a slight change in the atmosphere during that part, if that is even possible through TV. i could be wrong of course.

btw, the bits and pieces repeated etc is a very important point. after the first debate, how many undecided voters swung towards romney not because they thought he won, but because they heard or read he did?

Agreed.
    The Libya thing changed (for a few moments) the mood of the debate. Romney lost that bad. BUT...
    The way I have heard it replayed is; the moderator shouldn't have done on the spot fact checking, unfair to Romney, Romney was wrong, but so was Obama, there was a lot of conflicting reports coming out of the White House for several weeks...
    So in the replay the Obama win is gone.

The thing about Obama's closing statement is that it hit Romney hard and Romney couldn't respond.
    The bad thing about it is with all the blah blah blah I have heard today no one has mentioned it. So it is forgotten and might as well not have happened.

But the Libya thing makes me think forward to the next debate on foreign policy.
    I think Romney is going to have to tread lightly on criticizing the Commander In Chief.
    Romney has no answers or coherent policy regarding Syria, Libya, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.
    All he has is that he would do the opposite because what the president has done is a failure.
    The president has some highs, but mostly lows on those topics.

The president should further call Romney out on China.
    Labeling China a currency manipulator would do exactly nothing. Except perhaps piss off China.
    The president has been negotiating with China about currency manipulation and China has allowed their currency to float more than in the past.
    Romney's record on China, from Bain to criticizing tariffs - where the president has used them - stinks.
    The president says, 'I am the POTUS and the buck stops with me'. He should follow that with, as president, CEO and owner of Bain you are responsible for what has happened there, including layoffs, tax dodges and outsourcing to China.

George Bush was able to articulate a catchy foreign policy agenda 'People everywhere want to be free and America is here to spread freedom'. Never mind that was never the functioning policy. It sounded great.
    4 years ago Obama won the foreign policy debate over McCain by saying he would track down the terrorists no matter where they are hiding, even in Pakistan.
    This year none of them have successfully made a foreign policy pitch.

• Does debate numero dos move the needle for Obama? Can't tell, we will see what the polls over the next week will tell us.

If I am going to guess, I think that Romney is going to take hits in the Rust Belt (al la Auto Industry Bailout), he is going to see more erosion of Latino support (al la Nevada) and he has basically written off women. Ohio will once again be the deciding state on who is our president Nov 6th. If Romney cannot close the deal there he is probably going to loose. If Obama can't hold on there, then he is done.

Here is my take on Romney's Foreign Policy in a nutshell for the 3rd Debate:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I keep hearing Romney say he's going to get Canadian oil and that pipeline. The way he say's it just seems like no matter what Canadians want, he'll get it.

In any case. I agree. This will come down to Ohio IMO.

• DOR,

I have no idea what our brothers and sisters to the North think of the Keystone Pipeline. I am sure the Canadian-heads know the real deal.

I know that big oil would love it. Having the Keystone oil cheaply transportable to the gulf would mean that it could be sold on the open market instead of the limited area that it now reaches within North America.

Canadian sour as the oil that is produced in Canada is known, requires special processing that refineries in the Mid-West of the US can handle (It is not like sweet crude that can be processed by practically any refinery). Because this oil cannot be shipped outside of Canada and parts of the US the price of that oil has been kept low. That will go away if the pipeline is built.

BTW, Canadian oil has been the number one imported oil to the US. Its not like we need the Keystone pipeline to get the oil here as there is an infrastructure to move it to the Mid-West.

Right now Romney is touting jobs from the Keystone XL pipeline (as are many Republicans in the House and Senate) citing studies that claim upwards of 20,000 jobs. Unfortunately, these jobs are temporary construction jobs for the most part. The study that pegs the job numbers is paid for by TransCanada, the very company with a vested interest in building the pipeline.

Cornell University completed an independent assessment which stated the project may produce between 2,500-4,650 jobs and could even cost the country jobs in the years ahead.

This doesn't get into the environmental impact. Nor does it answer whom does this really benefit.

Keystone is a complicated question that hasn't really been covered in much detail by the "main-stream" media. They get talking heads from both sides on their shows and those talking heads yell at each other. It's easy to spout some slogans (jobs!, environment!, etc.) rather than talk about what it really means to put this pipeline into the US.

Most people are going to hear Keystone and think about bad beer commercials here in the US.

Weeeeeeeeeeee.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I personally have mixed opinions on the whole subject.

But no matter what they are, I can guarantee many Canadians do not want to hear an American politician make statements like ???I???ll get us that oil from Canada that we deserve???. Like he has the clout to just take it. He could easily just say something along the lines like "I will work with our two governments to get a deal done".

Another Romney offspring related tidbit:

Tagg Romney Says He Wants To ???Take A Swing??? At Obama

Appearing on the Bill Lumaye Show, a North Carolina radio program, Tagg Romney ??? one of Mitt Romney???s five sons ??? said that he wanted to rush the stage and ???take a swing??? at President Obama during the debates. Transcript:

BILL LUMAYE: I???m going to ask something I think a lot of people want to know, or at least I do. What is it like for you to hear the President of the United States call your dad a liar. How do you react to that?

TAGG ROMNEY: Jump out of your seat and you want to rush down to the debate stage and take a swing at him. But you know you can???t do that because??? Well, first there is a lot of Secret Service between you and him but also because this is the nature of the process.

Listen to the full interview:

link

Obvious scum. Cool name tho. "Tagg" - Is that kind of thing the mormon equivalent of an 'ebonics' type name?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:

And who cares if the "message" of the White House wasn't 100% clear and simple 24 hours after the event?

Because the White House immediately began apologizing for our Rights and Freedoms based on a Youtube video.
    An assumed cause and reaction which is bullshit when you think about it.
    We're sorry we have freedom of speech!? Pussy Riot anyone? Fuck that.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    JustAlice said:
    Because the White House immediately began apologizing for our Rights and Freedoms based on a Youtube video.

Source?

• Thymebomb13 said:
    Unherd said:
    JustAlice said:

Source?

The right-wing bullshit machine.

Where else?

I love the random capitalization of rights and freedoms. Jeezus, I hate that kind of nitwittery.

Wrong again T-Bomb. That happened. I understand if you are don't apologize.

Should we take it to the next level and talk about Old Media vs. New Media? On everything from copyrights to privacy rights. Basically, Google, Facebook, Amazon and other vs. RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and others.

New Media argues that the Internet fosters innovation and encourages free speech.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Another Romney offspring related tidbit:

Tagg Romney Says He Wants To ???Take A Swing??? At Obama

Appearing on the Bill Lumaye Show, a North Carolina radio program, Tagg Romney ??? one of Mitt Romney???s five sons ??? said that he wanted to rush the stage and ???take a swing??? at President Obama during the debates. Transcript:

BILL LUMAYE: I???m going to ask something I think a lot of people want to know, or at least I do. What is it like for you to hear the President of the United States call your dad a liar. How do you react to that?

TAGG ROMNEY: Jump out of your seat and you want to rush down to the debate stage and take a swing at him. But you know you can???t do that because??? Well, first there is a lot of Secret Service between you and him but also because this is the nature of the process.

Listen to the full interview:

link

Obvious scum. Cool name tho. "Tagg" - Is that kind of thing the mormon equivalent of an 'ebonics' type name?

Wait, how is this not awesome?

Sure, he's talking out his spoiled silly ass. But IMO this is exactly where the dialogue needs to go. You lie, you get smacked. Same goes for dude's idiot dad. I'm saying, let's do it.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Unherd said:
    JustAlice said:

Source?

The right-wing bullshit machine.

Where else?

I love the random capitalization of rights and freedoms. Jeezus, I hate that kind of nitwittery.

Wrong again T-Bomb. That happened. I understand if you are don't apologize.

Should we take it to the next level and talk about Old Media vs. New Media? On everything from copyrights to privacy rights. Basically, Google, Facebook, Amazon and other vs. RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and others.

New Media argues that the Internet fosters innovation and encourages free speech.

How about you just cite a source to an apology?

• "The embassy did subsequently tweet that it stood by its condemnation of the video, but it also condemned the attacks."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/09/12/mitt-romney-obama-adminstration_n_1877295.html

I have been clear in my condemnation of Gatortoof right from the start.
    I have never apologized for him.

and he has basically written off women.[/IMG]

This is funny/sad/ironic for Romney.
    He is trying desperatley to win the women vote.
    Yet he can't help but say things like "binders full of women" and "they have to get home to make dinner".

DOR said:
    I keep hearing Romney say he's going to get Canadian oil and that pipeline. The way he say's it just seems like no matter what Canadians want, he'll get it.

In any case. I agree. This will come down to Ohio IMO.

Canadian oil is not cheap. It is sold on the same market that all other oil is sold on.
    The oil does not belong to Canada, and a pipeline will not make it US oil.
    It belongs to the international oil companies who sell it on the open market or use it for their own products.
    It is very expensive and energy entensive to produce so high oil prices are necessary for it's production.
    If oil prices come down those oil fields will be closed.

We are not talking about drilling for oil. Nor hydraulic fracking.
    This is oil mining.