My city is nuts right now. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot.

Comments

• Of course the gunman is to blame but if two of the primary targets are coincidence and the guy was in no way politically motivated - or at least tuned in to Beck and friends, well, I'll eat my hat. Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread at all:

The killing of U.S. District Judge John M. Roll comes two years after he received death threats while he presided over a $32 million civil-rights lawsuit filed by illegal immigrants against an Arizona rancher.

When Roll ruled the case could go forward, U.S. Marshal David Gonzales said in 2009 that talk-radio shows cranked up the controversy and spurred audiences into making threats.

In one afternoon, Roll logged more than 200 phone calls. Callers threatened the judge and his family. They posted personal information about Roll online.

"They said, 'We should kill him. He should be dead,'" Gonzales said.

In an interview with The Arizona Republic in mid-2009, Roll, who was the chief federal judge in Arizona, said both he and his wife were given a protection detail for about a month.

"It was unnerving and invasive. ... By its nature it has to be," Roll said, adding that they were encouraged to live their lives as normally as possible. "It was handled very professionally by the Marshals Service."

At the end of the month, Roll said four key men had been identified as threat makers.

The Marshals Service left to him the decision to press charges but recommended against it. Roll said he had no qualms about following their advice.

The recommendation was based on the intent of those making the threats.

"I have a very strong belief that there is nothing wrong with criticizing a judicial decision," he said. "But when it comes to threats, that is an entirely different matter."

Roll started his legal career as a bailiff in the Pima County Superior Court. He served an assistant city attorney in Tucson and worked as a criminal prosecutor in Pima County before joining the U.S. Attorney's office in 1980, where he specialized in prosecuting drug cases.

He was appointed to the Arizona Appeals Court in 1987 and served until he was named to the federal bench by President George H. W. Bush in 1991.

He began serving as presiding judge in 2006.

A native of Pennsylvania, he graduated from the University of Arizona in 1969 and received his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1972.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/08/20110108giffords-roll-backgrounder-on.html#ixzz1Afxi0mwk

b/w

On both the MySpace and YouTube web pages, Loughner mentions his concern over literacy rates and the fact that few people speak English. He also talks about his distrust of the government and suggests that anyone can call anyone a terrorist.

"I can't trust the current government because of fabrications," Loughner wrote in a YouTube slide presentation. "The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/08/20110108arizona-congresswoman-gabrielle-giffords-shooting-suspect08brk-ON.html#ixzz1Afzu3IHT

• Rockadelic said:
    I'm honestly very surprised that I have not seen any MKUltra CIA Mind Control accusations yet......that would be par for the course.

Obviously he's a Montauk boy

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thank you (Thes) for another example of the heated rhetoric and the consequences.

Judge Roll was most likely not a target.
    By all accounts he was either their shopping and stopped by to thank Giffords for her work. Or made a special trip there to thank her. Either way, there was no way for the shooter to know he would be there.

• From what I've heard, Judge Roll was on his way home from Church to do some house cleaning and just happened to stop by the gathering to see someone. It seems to me that it would be unlikely Loughner targeted him that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I just think it's still too early to suggest a correlation between his political views and this lunatics motives, imo.

RIP to all that lost their lives.

Much love to Mrs. Giffords and the others victims.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Seriously Rock?

The point trying to be made is not that someone is directly to blame besides the shooter. It's about the tone certain people put out.

Shit like this

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    The Republican Party counts most of the legal gun owners in our country as members.

No. But it does appear that a white Southern male Republican is most likely to own a gun.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/20098/gun-ownership-use-america.aspx

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

"What happened to just plain CRAZY?"

Palin is a hunter.
    She is comfortable with guns and shooting.
    Many of her followers are hunters, gun owners or sympathetic.

It makes sense that she would use gun analogies in her rhetoric for those reasons.

I am not pardoning her or making excuses.
    I think as a politician and a public figure she is responsible for her speech and should be careful about the words she uses.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    Thank you (Thes) for another example of the heated rhetoric and the consequences.

Judge Roll was most likely not a target.
    By all accounts he was either their shopping and stopped by to thank Giffords for her work. Or made a special trip there to thank her. Either way, there was no way for the shooter to know he would be there.

Supposedly there's surveillance footage that shows the judge standing in line behind the shooter to greet Giffords. It was just chance.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/loughner-bought-bullets-at-wal-mart/tracing-his-steps/

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DOR said:
    Seriously Rock?

The point trying to be made is not that someone is directly to blame besides the shooter. It's about the tone certain people put out.

Shit like this

Marshall McCluhan wrote about the power of single-sensory mediums in the 50s. "Hot" mediums are way more powerfull as political propaganda, IE Rwanda. But it's not always negative. The rebellion of students in Tiananmen Square was largely organized and incited through pirate radio.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    Palin is a hunter.

Actual hunters who have seen her killing an animal on her "reality" show think she's a huge fraud in this department.

http://www.theawl.com/2010/12/sarah-palin-the-tv-star-exposes-sarah-palin-the-fake-hunter

• walter_chron said:
    From what I've heard, Judge Roll was on his way home from Church to do some house cleaning and just happened to stop by the gathering to see someone. It seems to me that it would be unlikely Loughner targeted him that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I just think it's still too early to suggest a correlation between his political views and this lunatics motives, imo.

RIP to all that lost their lives.

Much love to Mrs. Giffords and the others victims.

wow, i didn't know that. I stand corrected then, I thought he had planned to be at the event.
    Much love to Mrs. Giffords and the others victims

gutted by this whole event. It, and also by the reaction - Beck is spewing this is a government plot to shut down right wing radio.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    WHY DO ALL THESE REPUBLICAN ATTACK BIMBOS HAVE TO BE SO DAMN HOT*?!!!

Can't the Leftists get at least one Naomi on TV a lot more often? No brains vs no bras, let battle commence!

*not Ann Coulter

• BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Palin is a hunter.

Actual hunters who have seen her killing an animal on her "reality" show think she's a huge fraud in this department.

http://www.theawl.com/2010/12/sarah-palin-the-tv-star-exposes-sarah-palin-the-fake-hunter
    I was just going to say, the people who I know who hunt would certainly not call what she's doing 'hunting'. It's all about the symbolism with her. Which goes back to her, and other wingnut's, invocation of gun imagery having little to do with actual hunting.

I admit, I know nothing about her hunting skills.

I am sure you know that realityTV is not reality.

• Rockadelic said:

Guns are illegal to own in Mexico........how's that working out.
    Guns are very hard to obtain in Mexico.

I guess it's just a co-inkydink that the US states with the laxest gun laws border Mexico?

Wonder how much all those 'Gunz-R-Us', the likes of which sold this Loughtner guy his gun, make off the Mexican drug wars? I'm sure they're very persuasive ($$$) lobbyists.

A reporter recently detailed how a great many of the guns in the Mexican gun wars come from the US and a great many of those come from a handful of sellers in AZ.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    WHY DO ALL THESE REPUBLICAN ATTACK BIMBOS HAVE TO BE SO DAMN HOT*?!!!

Can't the Leftists get at least one Naomi on TV a lot more often? No brains vs no bras, let battle commence!

*not Ann Coulter

i thought wolf was a liberal?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yer, Wolf is a feminist, Jewish, probably liberal.. definitely not a Republican attack bimbo.

The book she talking about is all about the signs/stages of the rise of fascism through history, and a warning to America to be vigilant during the Bush era.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Okem said:
    Yer, Wolf is a feminist, Jewish, probably liberal..
    I don't think Feminism has been a central part of her platform for a while, even though it may inform her opinions on social politics. I would just label her as a leading public intellectual, someone who is a pleasure to watch speak on big ideas, and not just because she is easy on the eye. The other Naomi I referred to is Klein, of No Logo and shock Doctrine.

They can get the message out there!

PS: Possum Tom, your old avatar is going to jail!

DOR said:
    Seriously Rock?

Shit like this

LOL at calls for peace while pulling your best Jack Bauer on the side.

Billboard just down the street from the shooting.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• I think it's fresh how no one is calling this cracker jack a "terrorist" but rather "unstable" or "crazy" and needed mental help.

now had he been a brown, black or yellow dude his minority ass would have been dubbed a "terrorist" with the quickness. chalk it up to the white man's american media protecting their own as per usual.

also, check asian dude at that university in virginia that laced up mad whiteys with bullets. then instantly all over the media about how asian dude was a "terrorist" and not "unstable" or "crazy".

white people can do no wrong in this white man's america lol!

bring in replies from ass-hurt white boys with their panties in a bunch now....

• Options
    sakedelic said:

"My name is Ian and I'm from Minor Threat."

• Options
    picoandsepulveda said:
    I think it's fresh how no one is calling this cracker jack a "terrorist" but rather "unstable" or "crazy" and needed mental help.

now had he been a brown, black or yellow dude his minority ass would have been dubbed a "terrorist" with the quickness. chalk it up to the white man's american media protecting their own as per usual.

also, check asian dude at that university in virginia that laced up mad whiteys with bullets. then instantly all over the media about how asian dude was a "terrorist" and not "unstable" or "crazy".

white people can do no wrong in this white man's america lol!

bring in replies from ass-hurt white boys with their panties in a bunch now....

I don't remember the VA Tech shooter being called a terrorist, but maybe he was.

Sarah Palin was asked point blank (hah!) if abortion clinic bombers or doctor killers were terrorists, and she just couldn't bring herself to say yes. I guess it's okay if you're working on behalf of Baby Jesus.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

Yeeeps. Very creepy.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Just learned that Congressman Peter King's response to this was to propose a bill disallowing guns to be brought within 1000 feet of a government official. Which I guess means he's okay with mentally disturbed people walking around with guns, as long as they're not allowed near him.