Rap aint dead...

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    But wouldnt Lloyd Banks be a more 'current' US act?
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

LOL aside... I think LB is the same generic shit that floods Rap music. Im not a fan or care for that style personally, but what Thes was talking aboput was the fact alot of 90s acts get booiked for gigs down under. Compared to thoase guys Llloyd Banks would be more current...or is he considered an old school washed up rapper? Doesnt he have a new album out and is a weed carrier for 50?

50 is landfill material himself at this point. He's not really even a rapper anymore; he's more of a social media auteur.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

LOL aside... I think LB is the same generic shit that floods Rap music. Im not a fan or care for that style personally, but what Thes was talking aboput was the fact alot of 90s acts get booiked for gigs down under. Compared to thoase guys Llloyd Banks would be more current...or is he considered an old school washed up rapper? Doesnt he have a new album out and is a weed carrier for 50?

50 is landfill material himself at this point. He's not really even a rapper anymore; he's more of a social media auteur.

So who is the current dudes that are raising the bar and killing shit?

• LokoOne said:
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

^^^ clever ploy by Australian rappeur to turn this thread into something else ^^^

LokoOne said:
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

^^^ clever ploy by Australian rappeur to turn this thread into something else ^^^

Unclever trolling by redundant SS hologram.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

Last time i checked "Beamer Benz or Bentley" was a massive hit this year.
    The album was trash though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    [Im keen to hear what are the 'current' and 'ground breaking' hip hop acts from the US at the moment ? Heres your chance to enlighten some of us.... if you wish.

• LokoOne - 23 December 2010 01:57 AM
    [Im keen to hear what are the 'current' and 'ground breaking' hip hop acts from the US at the moment ? Heres your chance to enlighten some of us.... if you wish.

I guess you missed my post. teen from Inglewood.

I'm getting way spammy but Chris is tight.

• [

Well, according to Gutta World "The Voice of rap", it's this dude.

• Wes from Covina.

Just postin up cats I deal with.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    magnetic said:
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

Last time i checked "Beamer Benz or Bentley" was a massive hit this year.
    The album was trash though.
    ^^^^^^^^^ YUNG_SARCOPHAGUS APOLOGIST

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

street_muzik said:
    Wes from Covina.

Just postin up cats I deal with.

Yeah I remember you posted this up before. I dig.

• whole world done drank this guy's kool aid.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    dub post

MarkusGarvey said:
    whole world done drank this guy's kool aid.

yeah, 4 elements is some silly shit...

graffiti was rolling way before hip hop and writer's were listening to alot of rock (as well as funk)...

you got graf writers like Dr. Revolt and Zephyr, who were listening to zep and floyd... or take something like dondi's "children of the grave" piece... or Tull from the Crazy 5... WHO NAMED HIMSELF AFTER JETHRO TULL... =not hip hop...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    MarkusGarvey said:
    whole world done drank this guy's kool aid.

yeah, 4 elements is some silly shit...

graffiti was rolling way before hip hop and writer's were listening to alot of rock (as well as funk)...

you got graf writers like Dr. Revolt and Zephyr, who were listening to zep and floyd... or take something like dondi's "children of the grave" piece... or Tull from the Crazy 5... WHO NAMED HIMSELF AFTER JETHRO TULL... =not hip hop...

but...w-w-w-wait [ quote ]ive been practicing saying South Bronx backwards while doing head spins and freezing in the direction of new york[ /quote ]all my life?

Michael Holman once said that Graffiti was never a part of hiphop, it just "chose to run along with it and that's cool".

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    double post

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    LokoOne said:

Is it really that important, though, this "raising the bar" shit? Do rappers always need to be re-inventing the wheel to be worth listening to? And, more than anything else, would there ever be a consensus about such a thing on Soulstrut anyway?

For what it's worth, I like that Kendrick Lamar kid whose YouTube was posted up the other day, then there's the OFWGKTA crew, of course. The sheer volume of Lil B's output has produced some real gems this year. Big K.R.I.T. has been another discovery I mightn't have made without this place. Danny Brown is on more of a backpacker vibe, I suppose, but he's got personality and I like his delivery. I might be in a minority in that I'm looking forward to both a Jay Elec album and a Saigon album in 2011, although I have my suspicions that, with all that lost momentum, the Sai album is just going to sound no different or no better than anything else from five years ago, while at the same time acting as a testament to the essential truth of industry rule #4080. But my point is, while there's probably a shitload of others I've forgotten about, overlooked or missed completely, these are all rappers that I think are good, or who've made good records this year, and I personally happen to place a higher premium upon being good than on bending over backwards to be innovative. There's a lot to be said for focusing on core values, even if people don't always agree about what those core values are.

Anyway...I don't expect that many of you will be bothered listening to the full 15 minutes of this, but if you do, wind forward to around the 4'00'' mark, where Durrty gets on MOP's Follow Instructions; it's a pretty thorough illustration of where rhyming is at over here right now.

DocMcCoy said:
    LokoOne said:

I

Anyway...I don't expect that many of you will be bothered listening to the full 15 minutes of this, but if you do, wind forward to around the 4'00'' mark, where Durrty gets on MOP's Follow Instructions; it's a pretty thorough illustration of where rhyming is at over here right now.

durrty goodz is a beast...

the Axiom EP was a mindblower, unfortunately his album was REALLY uneven...

• mannybolone said:
    "I knew back in the day/Oz hip-hop would never die..."

• novocaine132 said:
    mannybolone said:
    "I knew back in the day/Oz hip-hop would never die..."

:comedy_gold:

• Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

LOL aside... Im not a fan or care for LB's shit, its boring and generic IMO, but what Thes was talking about was the fact alot of 90s acts get booked for gigs down under. Compared to those guys Lloyd Banks would be more current...or is he considered an old school washed up rapper?

Also, jokes and shit talking aside, Im keen to hear what are the 'current' and 'ground breaking' hip hop acts from the US at the moment ? Heres your chance to enlighten some of us.... if you wish.

PS I agree with what Doc posted, and I dont think all the OZ dudes posting here where arguing against any of the points Doc raised, some of us were [del]responding to the stupid shit some other ppl were posting.[/del] asshurt

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I hate Australian hip-hop as a genre.

But Trem. That guy is a legend. And Lazy Grey, without him, I wouldn't be here on this board posting. And Frenzie... that dude schooled me way way back before hip-hop was stocked as "Urban".

You're all fucking dissing the wrong person. That Kinetic dude on the other hand... pffft.

• I am not the biggest fan of Aussie hip hop but I respect the dudes that make it and the intentions they carry and the love they have for music and expression.

I just dont like Aussie accents and I am an Aussie.We should be able to just accept that Aussie hip hop may never be acceptable to the American ear and just accept that it is a happening thing here without needing US or international approval.

The best thing to come out of this thread was the Denny Dent link. heres another one

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• SportCasual said:
    Lurkalot said:
    Gotta love the 21st Century and how White folks from the US can tell Whitey from around the world that they aren't real Hip Hop!
    BUT, nobody is rapping apart from people who can fucking rap. Rap is different. Not only is it fundamentally a Black American thing, as stated, it is also more generally tied to the experience of the black diaspora. If you look at the countries whose rappers have been given a second look by the rest of the world, they are from countries who are also closely linked to black diaspora - Jamaica, UK, France, more recently Africa and Latin america. They have something to say that people might be interested in, so they get taken seriously.

Lets not forget the Original Australians and as a youth worker who has worked with kids from some of Australias remotest comunities Hip Hop has made a huge impact on some Indigenous communities. And for me anyway they might have more to say

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    SportCasual said:
    Lurkalot said:
    Gotta love the 21st Century and how White folks from the US can tell Whitey from around the world that they aren't real Hip Hop!
    BUT, nobody is rapping apart from people who can fucking rap. Rap is different. Not only is it fundamentally a Black American thing, as stated, it is also more generally tied to the experience of the black diaspora. If you look at the countries whose rappers have been given a second look by the rest of the world, they are from countries who are also closely linked to black diaspora - Jamaica, UK, France, more recently Africa and Latin america. They have something to say that people might be interested in, so they get taken seriously.

Lets not forget the Original Australians and as a youth worker who has worked with kids from some of Australias remotest comunities Hip Hop has made a huge impact on some Indigenous communities. And for me anyway they might have more to say

"More to say"............Explain?

• batmon said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    SportCasual said:
    Lurkalot said:

200 years of systematic abuse by the dominant white culture .100000+ years of existence on this land.etc

Its 3am Xmas day here i should be asleep as I have a big day and I am sure my 5 year old daughter will be up early to see what santa left her. i better drink that glass of beer we left out for him and eat the cookies.

Sorry to undead the thread. Peace and love and goodwill to all

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    batmon said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    SportCasual said:
    Lurkalot said:

200 years of systematic abuse by the dominant white culture .100000+ years of existence on this land.etc

Why do u boil down Hip Hop's steez to oppression/hardship?
    Why do folks think that any "oppressed" group have the tools to make good Hip Hop?
    Black folks and Hip Hop are so much more complex than slavery/oppression/hardship, dude.
    U think because so-and-so has it tough, that Hip Hop is the 'obvious' tool to use to express that since Public Enemy or The Jungle Bros did?
    Many great Hip Hop artists come from happy homes.
    I find it kinda suspect that non-Black dudes think one has to be poor/uneducated/on welfare/oppressed/etc to have Hip Hop credibility.
    Great art can come from anywhere w/out some connection to the projects.
    In 2010 we have Jay-Z as a minority owner of an NBA franchise and folks think Hip Hop is relegated to some Cartoonish Colonialism that can be worn like a beeper by any 'outsider' community?

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts