Rap aint dead...

Comments

• street_muzik said:
    There's more wack rap here just because there's more rap here.

tis a good point though and someone else mention earlier, why hasnt any of these rappers/producers tried to bite people like Premier or Dilla or any other great/good producers to at least add a small amount of dopeness to their music? why do they all want to follow the shitty end of the rappers stick, by fronting with cars/gold/girls/bottled water/clothing design/cologne/perfume and going by lil "insert wack name here"

is the dramatization/fakeness that appealing? is "playing a role" what really makes money now a days?
    because thats what it seems/is like...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    why hasnt any of these rappers/producers tried to bite people like Premier or Dilla or any other great/good producers to at least add a small amount of dopeness to their music?

• Brian said:
    rOnIkAl I tHiNk YoU sHoUlD pOsT hErE mOrE
    do i detect sarcasim or was that a direct invite

• Brian said:
    rOnIkAl I tHiNk YoU sHoUlD pOsT hErE mOrE
    do i detect sarcasim or was that a direct invite

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    no sarcasim bro i think it's important to have more perspectives for rapp discussionz

• mannybolone said:
    Brian said:

haha soul strut...... give fuck what they ... they all wank off to placebo records

considering this thread is longer than the one on the OZ board, where apparently they LIKE the music....... i'd say it's become abundantly clear what the soul strut likes to wank off to.

• dj_cityboy said:
    street_muzik said:

tis a good point though and someone else mention earlier, why hasnt any of these rappers/producers tried to bite people like Premier or Dilla or any other great/good producers to at least add a small amount of dopeness to their music? why do they all want to follow the shitty end of the rappers stick, by fronting with cars/gold/girls/bottled water/clothing design/cologne/perfume and going by lil "insert wack name here"

So I guess you never listened to Dilla's raps then.

• yeah cool man........ dont mind me man im not here to defend oz hip hop
    i dont consider my self oz hip hop im hip hop in general there are alot of wack rappers as you would say everywhere on this planet , me my self are probably one of them but i enjoy telling my stories through rhyme and i hope some people out there enjoy them . that is why i ost my vids here just in the rare case some one may like them

so tell me what does every one here consider to be good hip hop
    honest question

• street_muzik said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    street_muzik said:

no cant say i have heard any of Dillas lyrics....

• Soulstrut defines itself by what it collectively hates, not likes. Duh.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    Soulstrut defines itself by what it collectively hates, not likes. Duh.
    HATERS!

• Welcome

• ALL GOOD THOUGH

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Dun worry Aussies. It only took Canadians 30 years to get reconized by Americans (And many think we're all Americans anyways). Your time will come. 2025 will be huge!

• batmon said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    Wait till I post German EuromanRap Videos.

No need to, the point is already made.

There is nothing to see here......move along.

gotta give it up to batmon for being one of the only non Australians in favor of deading this thread.

I mean, if you're from Oz you obviously want to see this thread deaded, deleted, and made a distant memory.

• DOR said:
    Dun worry Aussies. It only took Canadians 30 years to get reconized by Americans (And many think we're all Americans anyways).

• batmon said:

I mean, if you're from Oz you obviously want to see this thread deaded, deleted, and made a distant memory.

bump

• dj_cityboy said:
    street_muzik said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    street_muzik said:

no cant say i have heard any of Dillas lyrics....

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

I just heard LLoyd Banks is planning a big Oz tour. Have fun with that.

Yeah he just played Sydney last week..... shit show IMO

Dude does his whole set with all his rimes on a backing track...wtf? and backstage he didnt give a fuck about any fans. I gave my backstage pass to some dudes that werer big fans so they could go get a pic and dude just snubbed them and pretty much everyone else.

But wouldnt Lloyd Banks be a more 'current' US act?

• not to say i dismiss hip hop music outside the states...i dont like most "rap" music nowadays anyway regardless of location.

forget the rest of the world, americans...how can we forget the imitation and redundancy of topics, concepts, and imagery that rap in america does on its own....its been stuck in a vacuum for a while. those that ride hard for this type of "rap" are in denial if you think otherwise.

hip hop in america USED to be identifiable upon hearing... by region. not anymore.

accents...
    im from the south..i sell drugs, i too think i can rhyme.... about nothing/ the same old thing, over 4 note beats with 808s and heeeeeey chanting in the back of my verse...over and over again.. thats all you need to hear....that and a 1/2 decent image deemed cool enough... and your on. its a flood and were drowning it in.

nobody in poland, aus,nz,uk, europe, china... where ever the fuck.... is influencing "rap" music in the states...it will always be the other way around.

when you take your influences and make them your own... is when this will begin. i feel hip hop on a whole..... is still so scared to be itself.

im betting none of your g.o.a.t.s. have been influenced by the likes of any of the top mcs/ producers OUTSIDE the states.

nobodys biting that shit....

the style you havent done yet.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm posting this at the bottom of page 12 (six more to go!) and, as I see it, not much else needed to be said in this thread after Harvey and Sport Cazh said their respective pieces, but, for whatever reason, so many of you Aussie dudes seem so determined to take it personal that you've missed the point, which is this. No matter how sincere the motives, and I have absolutely no doubt they're completely sincere, the fact remains that Aussie rap ??? just like UK rap ??? will always be at a disadvantage when it seeks parity with US rap because of the common language. Even though some of you might wistfully yearn for an alternate present where people are happy for rap to be have been set in aspic at some point in 1995 (and have a think about how forward-looking and/or progressive that attitude actually is), the world, and in particular America, has kept moving, even if you don't particularly care for the direction it's taken. And whether you like it or not ??? and no amount of vinegary jibes at the expense of Kanye or Soulja Boy or Waka Flocka is ever going to alter this ??? America sets the standard by which all English language rap is measured. You must deal.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, though. The UK response has been to develop its own thing away from the purist four-elements aesthetic that used to dominate UK hip-hop. Grime, or whatever it is the kids are calling it now, has ended up producing actual pop stars as well as a thriving, self-sustaining underground. There are now UK emcees getting number one albums, performing at festivals alongside major-league rock acts and making money in a way that would have been unimaginable even five years ago. The quality of the end product is beside the point as far as I'm concerned. What's much more important for me is that the Dizzees, Roots, Wileys, Tinchy Striders and Tinie Tempahs have done their thing while speaking in their own voices, without needing to appeal to an American audience, and have proved that such a thing is achievable for anyone coming up who possesses the drive, talent and personality. Whatever compromises they choose to make along the way is a matter for them and their respective consciences, but I doubt that, at any point, it'll involve their credibility standing or falling on whether or not America takes to them.

Elsewhere, in places like France, Germany, Holland, Scandinavia, Japan and parts of Africa, there's enough of an audience for local-language hip-hop that entire self-contained scenes have developed, complete with long-term major-label commitment. Look at someone like Akhenaton in France; beneficiary of a 20-year career a couple dozen albums deep, without ever needing to rhyme in English. He's been able to stay utterly true to himself throughout that time, rhyming about issues specific to France or to French-speaking people in a way that isn't the least bit parochial. Dude sells hundreds of thousands of records, which might not be so impressive numbers-wise next to the Ems and Jays and 50s and Kanyes, but is probably as good as it's possible to get for a French-speaking hip-hop artist (and an intensely political one at that). I'm sure he's aware by now that America is never going to be interested in a French-speaking rapper, but I doubt it's something he loses sleep over. Why would he need to?

None of the people I've mentioned are trying to beat the Americans at their own game (although Diz got on a track with UGK and kind of held his own), nor are they trying to tell, or imply to, Americans that they have neglected, betrayed or abandoned ???real??? hip-hop and need the guidance of others in order to find the one true path once more. But they're all original in their own way, and some of them are doing very well indeed, simply by focusing on an audience that gives a shit about what they do, rather than seeking the validation - which some of you appear to be doing - of an audience that doesn't. There might be a lesson there.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this thread jumped the shark 9 pages ago.

• SoulOnIce said:

Yeah, but if we had just stopped there we wouldn't have gotten that gem of a post from the always-on-point DocMcCoy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Yeah, but if we had just stopped there we wouldn't have gotten that gem of a post from the always-on-point DocMcCoy.

You're too kind, as always. Personally, I think the thread got really good in the last six pages with the You Tube shit comedy rap frenzy, Thes's perspective (which could possibly end up spawning a new sub-genre - landfill rap), and that bizarre gif from Day. This thread delivers on a level that Rap Threads On Soulstrut??? haven't done for quite a while.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    SoulOnIce said:

No doubt. DocMcCoy is a top notch poster here and I always enjoy reading his take on things. I agree with everything he wrote.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    lol

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I'm posting this at the bottom of page 12 (six more to go!) and, as I see it, not much else needed to be said in this thread after Harvey and Sport Cazh said their respective pieces, but, for whatever reason, so many of you Aussie dudes seem so determined to take it personal that you've missed the point, which is this. No matter how sincere the motives, and I have absolutely no doubt they're completely sincere, the fact remains that Aussie rap ??? just like UK rap ??? will always be at a disadvantage when it seeks parity with US rap because of the common language. Even though some of you might wistfully yearn for an alternate present where people are happy for rap to be have been set in aspic at some point in 1995 (and have a think about how forward-looking and/or progressive that attitude actually is), the world, and in particular America, has kept moving, even if you don't particularly care for the direction it's taken. And whether you like it or not ??? and no amount of vinegary jibes at the expense of Kanye or Soulja Boy or Waka Flocka is ever going to alter this ??? America sets the standard by which all English language rap is measured. You must deal.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, though. The UK response has been to develop its own thing away from the purist four-elements aesthetic that used to dominate UK hip-hop. Grime, or whatever it is the kids are calling it now, has ended up producing actual pop stars as well as a thriving, self-sustaining underground. There are now UK emcees getting number one albums, performing at festivals alongside major-league rock acts and making money in a way that would have been unimaginable even five years ago. The quality of the end product is beside the point as far as I'm concerned. What's much more important for me is that the Dizzees, Roots, Wileys, Tinchy Striders and Tinie Tempahs have done their thing while speaking in their own voices, without needing to appeal to an American audience, and have proved that such a thing is achievable for anyone coming up who possesses the drive, talent and personality. Whatever compromises they choose to make along the way is a matter for them and their respective consciences, but I doubt that, at any point, it'll involve their credibility standing or falling on whether or not America takes to them.

Elsewhere, in places like France, Germany, Holland, Scandinavia, Japan and parts of Africa, there's enough of an audience for local-language hip-hop that entire self-contained scenes have developed, complete with long-term major-label commitment. Look at someone like Akhenaton in France; beneficiary of a 20-year career a couple dozen albums deep, without ever needing to rhyme in English. He's been able to stay utterly true to himself throughout that time, rhyming about issues specific to France or to French-speaking people in a way that isn't the least bit parochial. Dude sells hundreds of thousands of records, which might not be so impressive numbers-wise next to the Ems and Jays and 50s and Kanyes, but is probably as good as it's possible to get for a French-speaking hip-hop artist (and an intensely political one at that). I'm sure he's aware by now that America is never going to be interested in a French-speaking rapper, but I doubt it's something he loses sleep over. Why would he need to?

None of the people I've mentioned are trying to beat the Americans at their own game (although Diz got on a track with UGK and kind of held his own), nor are they trying to tell, or imply to, Americans that they have neglected, betrayed or abandoned ???real??? hip-hop and need the guidance of others in order to find the one true path once more. But they're all original in their own way, and some of them are doing very well indeed, simply by focusing on an audience that gives a shit about what they do, rather than seeking the validation - which some of you appear to be doing - of an audience that doesn't. There might be a lesson there.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Brian said:
    LokoOne said:
    lol

co-lol

Extra extra LOL!!!!!!

LOL aside... Im not a fan or care for LB's shit, its boring and generic IMO, but what Thes was talking about was the fact alot of 90s acts get booked for gigs down under. Compared to those guys Lloyd Banks would be more current...or is he considered an old school washed up rapper?

Also, jokes and shit talking aside, Im keen to hear what are the 'current' and 'ground breaking' hip hop acts from the US at the moment ? Heres your chance to enlighten some of us.... if you wish.

PS I agree with what Doc posted, and I dont think all the OZ dudes posting here where arguing against any of the points Doc raised, some of us were responding to the stupid shit some other ppl were posting.