The thread where you hate on Kanye's new album

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DOR said:

"Winner Mozart, because it's impossible to make a symphonic masterpiece with Rick Ross"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Someone needs to either fire the, or start employing a, sub editor for that website.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    If this album was released by an unknown, with unknown guests, would it be as good?
    To somebody who doesn't know Kanye, or any of the guest artists, would it be good at all - worth comparing to Mozart, or Public Enemy?

Sales figues don't mean shit. As the population increases, you could have a significantly lower percentage of the population buy an LP, but do 10 times as many sales as Sgt Pepper's... or 1 million more people might hear Kanye's new album than listened to Mozart's work in his entire lifetime - big fucking deal.

Comparing Kanye West with Quincy Jones or Mozart? Group hysteria, but great for future bumps-of-shame.

The only person Kanye West should be compared to at the present is Justin Beiber.

L*o, don't know if you looked at the link but the Kanye Mozart article is a tongue in cheek exercise, more interested in the West ego than a musical comparison. The kind of ironic self congratulatory piece thing that the Guardian is sadly often guilty of churning out.

B/w The Beiber/West comparison doesn't make sense on any level.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Junior said:
    L*o, don't know if you looked at the link but the Kanye Mozart article is a tongue in cheek exercise, more interested in the West ego than a musical comparison. The kind of ironic self congratulatory piece thing that the Guardian is sadly often guilty of churning out.

I know, I know it's tongue in cheek, but are I've read some opinions on here talmbout "journey into the inner workings of Kanye's psyche/peering into his troubled soul" that don't read as piss-takes.

B/w The Beiber/West comparison doesn't make sense on any level.

Hype. Google hits. Headlines. Celebrity. The most basic/obvious level.
    Who's gaining most from Bush re-hashing Kanye West criticism? Kanye boosting LP sales, or Bush boosting book sales? Do either care? No, they're both pleased to have something to feed into the machine.

EDIT: ARRRRGHGHGHG, and by poasting in this thread... D'oh!

yet Beiber is basically a manufactured pop artist, "paid" to turn up and perform the songs selected for him and sell an image to a carefully identified fan base.

Whatever you want to accuse of Kanye of, and there's a lot to choose from, I don't think he's dancing to anyone else's tune.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    B/w The Beiber/West comparison STILL doesn't make sense on any level.
    Duder how many cups of coffee have you had this morning? You do chat some utter shite at times.

• "hell of a life" has been on a steady bump regimen for the last 72 hours.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I can't be the only one that retitled the album to "My dark twisted veiny fantasy" in my Itunes already.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Amazing record, theres nothing i can add that Jonny and Faux haven't already said. I do hear the loneliness that someone mentioned earlier ('Just another lonely night"), i hear the parts where hes being incredibly vulnerable and where he's being an egomaniac. I've listened to this about 6 times all the way through since monday in the am, and i couldn't quite put my finger on it the first 2-3 times but then it just floored me on the 4th listen and i say it's easily, at this point, the best hip hop album of the year, or of the last few years.

I mean the opening two tracks hit you right off the bat, i don't see how anyone who really likes hip hop wouldn't like these songs, 'Gorgeous" gives me goosebumps, the unusual loop, the effects on Kanyes voice, his sometimes off beat akward delivery all combined with the fact you can tell he loves rapping makes it a big highlight for me. "Blame Game" to me is the apex of the record, that one instantly hit me, that piano line is beautiful, i thought John Legend sounded great. The middle of the record is incredibly strong, the transition from "All Of The Lights" to "Monster" is amazing, 'ALL OF THE LIGHTS!!!!"........'I SHOOT THE LIGHTS OUT"

i feel like Kanye will eventually become a Dre type of producer, making albums with alot of guests, but everyone one of them will be placed so strategically that no one will dare complain, he's already headed in that direction, all the guset spots to me were perfectly calculated.

My few small complaints.

Why do rappers have such bad taste in electric guitar? The live guitar on "Gorgeous" and "Devil In A New Dress" sounds really corny, i just picture Slash making shred faces in the studio.

Rick Ross' part should've come before that long instrumental break they placed before his verse.

"Lost In The World' does nothing for me other than Kanyes rapping, i know im in the miority here, but whatever.

I think thats it for me. 9/10

peace,xavier

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Hip Hop

Ghey-Ass Post Pop Rapps

Yall some gushing ass fanboys man. Its disgusting to see how far youve hiked those skirts up in 2010.

• WHAT DOES SOULMAN THINK

• to hell wiht it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVIN YALL

• +

=

Apparently he was lost in the closet, too.

• Ha ha! I was just discussing that with someone!

Happy Turkey day all. I wanna stay home and eat a sammich. Have to jet off to relative's with 30 or so people who don't like each other. Maybe they'll get food poisoning from my strudel!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Not liking it is fine. Having a problem with other people liking it, on the other hand...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I really like this album, for a lot of different reasons. One of those reasons is how mad it seems to make the hatters.

To me, this album is basically a kind of pop opus, which happens to have a good deal of rapping. Dudes whining that "that's not real hiphop!" are probably missing the point.

post-rap /batmon

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Not liking it is fine. Having a problem with other people liking it, on the other hand...

There are "This is Soul Strut defined" declarations now and then, but I feel this comes the closest.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Unherd said:
    I really like this album, for a lot of different reasons. One of those reasons is how mad it seems to make the hatters.

To me, this album is basically a kind of pop opus, which happens to have a good deal of rapping. Dudes whining that "that's not real hiphop!" are probably missing the point.

post-rap /batmon

New Jack Swing?
    R&B?
    POP?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    (I know I'm late). Thus far, I've enjoyed MBDTF. As with any album, I found some songs to be more listenable than others, but as a whole, it's innovative. It's still very Kanye but with enough creative elements to keep me entertained. As someone mentioned before, it's difficult to warm up to Kanye's music if you don't like Kanye's persona. If you can get over the motif of conceit in both his on-stage and real-life characters, you might be able to appreciate the novelty of this album.

I also really enjoyed the music video for Runaway. Sixteen pages and no mention of the beautiful bird lady? The video is far from "wretched," as brokenrecord described it to be, IMO.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DOR said:

The National Post is one of the worst newspapers ever.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    batmon said:

New Jack Swing?
    R&B?
    POP?

Wack.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    As someone mentioned before, it's difficult to warm up to Kanye's music if you don't like Kanye's persona. ]

I really dont factor in what People magazine has to say about West when listening to his music.

Does the Bush/Swift stuff really hamper whether the music is good or not?

Elbows...IMO.

• staxwax said:

first song I've heard off this. what girl "calls the feds" when battered by her man?

• Herm said:

WTF does Kanye have to do with NY?

^^^^and yo, this is awful.^^^

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    As someone mentioned before, it's difficult to warm up to Kanye's music if you don't like Kanye's persona. ]

I really dont factor in what People magazine has to say about West when listening to his music.

Does the Bush/Swift stuff really hamper whether the music is good or not?

Elbows...IMO.

Some people do let Bush/Swift stuff hamper with whether they find the music good or not. I don't necessarily see that on the Strut, but I see it plenty elsewhere.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bassie said:

The National Post is one of the worst newspapers ever.

closely followed by the gazette

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    WHAT DOES SOULMAN THINK

2Ls??? Where u be?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it's almost more of an event than an album. the music is the soundtrack.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    jaymack said:
    it's almost more of an event than an album. the music is the soundtrack.

Yeah, and in an age where the concept of The Big Event Record has become an essentially meaningless one, it's a pretty successful attempt at trying to buck that trend. Something else noteworthy is the sheer volume of pieces that are discussing not just the album, but the critical response to the album.