FOOD(S) YOU CAN'T STAND!

Comments

• Wow - you all dislike some major, crucial food groups!!! (minus the Vienna sausages - aka teenie weenies - EWWWW!!! NOT food)

That being said, I have my own peccadilloes (? right word??). I like just about EVERYTHING (as long as it's well prepared / quality (my Dad always recounts a story of him asking what I wanted at the butcher, and, as a 4 year old, I piped up "I want tongue!!")).

I've eaten and liked most animal parts. And most every vegetable / fruit. Except:

I ABHOR milk! And have forever. I was breastfed for a long time (til my Mom got tired of me walking up to her and lifting her shirt whenever I was hungry). So, maybe when the juice from cow udders was foisted on me, I revolted. I dunno.

Whatever the case. My parents recall me refusing cow milk as a toddler. And this was in the 70's. The doctors were warning that if I didn't have a big glass of milk with every meal, I'd grow up skeletally deformed. Of course that was rubbish.

I do believe that kids don't need to drink other species' milk after weaning from human milk.

And, as an adult, I REALLY don't want to sit down to a big glass of the opaque liquid squeezed from a cow's udder. BARF! The smell!! The taste!

That being said, I love cheese, ice cream, yogurt, etc...

But, cow milk is for baby cows!!

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Almond said:
    RAISINS!
    Don't ruin an oatmeal cookie by putting raisins in it! Why must I cry?

AMEN SISTER! TESTIFY!

I cannot effing stand raisins. Goddamn purple sugar boogers. Yuck.

Also, fuck Lima beans.

Man, raisins are getting no love from the Strut. What did the California Raisins ever do wrong to you?!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Asparagus
    All bivalves
    Liver/kidney/brains/tripe

• That fermented shark that they eat in Iceland is awful.
    Also natto(sp?), fermented beans...Japanese delicacy, smells like puke and looks like peanuts in Vaseline. Disgusting.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I am pretty cool with most foods that are used in modern western cooking.

Weird asian delicacies that you only find in Asia are a bit tougher to stomach though

• I like natto! It's interactive!

• phatmoneysack said:
    I am pretty cool with most foods that are used in modern western cooking.

Weird asian delicacies that you only find in Asia are a bit tougher to stomach though

We Americans are super soft on the whole "texture" appreciation tip in general i think.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Got to add tripe. Tried it once and it was nasty as hell.

:NO:

I love me some Mondongo. Copped some of the :goat: in Cartagena along with a side of chicharrones and some batacones:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Almond said:
    RAISINS!

AMEN SISTER! TESTIFY!

While I agree here, have y'all ever tried raisins cooked in with couscous or mixed into moroccan chicken dishes?

:next_level:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    deathvalley90210 said:
    olives
    YES. Totally forgot about Olives, terrible.

Also, Plums that have been bottled in brine. Biggest disappointment ever. Thought I was gonna get standard sweet preserved plums. Almost made me heave.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    SOME LIL DUDE LOOKS IN HERE

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Woimsah said:

Thats ESSENTIAL hot pot incredient right there !!!

Try boil up some chicken broth, put some Chinese Cabbages, cut-up turnips in there and add those in with a few tiny bits of chilli...best damn soup!!

I even put in Udon noodles in there and thats an easy meal.

• Woimsah said:

Also, for some reason which is beyond be, I LOVE chocolate, I LOVE peanut butter, but if you put them togehter, I'll hurl. Not sure what it is, I literally can't even smell that combo.

curious, do you hate cilantro because it tastes like soap to you? I know other folks who hate cilantro and their complaint is the "soap" taste...I've heard about an enzyme deficincy that effects the way some things taste to people and usually it is herbs like cilantro, basil, parsley...it has an unpleasant taste if you lack this specific enzyme...or so I've heard.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    No one mention "chicken feet" yet? i'm surprised

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    This would be a better world for children if the parents were forced to eat the spinach.

I like spinach; it doesn't have much of a taste to me. My dad puts spinach, apple juice, ginger, lemon/lime and sometimes celery into a food processor and blends that baby up. It tastes like apple juice with ginger in it. Pretty good.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    musica said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Almond said:
    RAISINS!

AMEN SISTER! TESTIFY!

While I agree here, have y'all ever tried raisins cooked in with couscous or mixed into moroccan chicken dishes?

:next_level:

Gross! I hate it when people try to sneak those dried up, dead grape carcasses into my food.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Woimsah said:

Also, for some reason which is beyond be, I LOVE chocolate, I LOVE peanut butter, but if you put them togehter, I'll hurl. Not sure what it is, I literally can't even smell that combo.

curious, do you hate cilantro because it tastes like soap to you? I know other folks who hate cilantro and their complaint is the "soap" taste...I've heard about an enzyme deficincy that effects the way some things taste to people and usually it is herbs like cilantro, basil, parsley...it has an unpleasant taste if you lack this specific enzyme...or so I've heard.

Pretty sure you're exactly on point with this dude. My mom and I LOVE cilantro (i'll throw it on just about anything) but my younger sister swears it tastes like soapy feet. Haven't heard the same about basil, but I can certainly imagine it. It's bugged how little we actually understand about the constituents of the foods we shove down our gullets.

• pimlicosquirrel said:

BAAAHAHAHAHA!

y'all are some picky eaters. this is the 1st thing in the thread i wouldn't chow down on

• Agree on Olives and Avocado.
    Sunflower seeds why do most people i work with chew and spit out bird food most of the day????

• Liver
    Pork
    Corn beef hash
    squid

• willie_fugal said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

BAAAHAHAHAHA!

y'all are some picky eaters. this is the 1st thing in the thread i wouldn't chow down on

put some mayonnaise on that!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    what is that? a bear?

• holmes said:
    what is that? a bear?
    a dog, I think.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Cucumber smells so bad. It's my Kryptonite.

I did however try it once, in case this was, like, a sensual leap of faith with some divine payback on the palate...

...No, tasted like shit too.

Celery not far behind it.

But yeah, I am pretty much omnivorous otherwise. FFS, raisin and date finger-crucifixes up in here? Get the f*ckers down you.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Mango
    Soursop
    sweetsop
    jackfruit
    Manilkara zapota/Naseberry

All of the organ meats except for chicken gizzards.

• bobtheorange said:
    holmes said:
    what is that? a bear?
    a dog, I think.

You are both wrong its an Ewok.

• BreakSelf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Woimsah said:

Pretty sure you're exactly on point with this dude. My mom and I LOVE cilantro (i'll throw it on just about anything) but my younger sister swears it tastes like soapy feet. Haven't heard the same about basil, but I can certainly imagine it. It's bugged how little we actually understand about the constituents of the foods we shove down our gullets.

Pretty Sure Celery would be on this list as well. Crazy how many people mention Celery, its probably in so many things you don't even realize. I'm with Broken Record on the no milk everything else kick.

• Macaroni & cheese - cannot deal.

Not a big tomato fan either

• Rockadelic said:
    Any organ that was intended to be a filter.

Also Smoked Mackerel/Kippers