FOOD(S) YOU CAN'T STAND!

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    rapini is bitter and vile

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    lamprey eel said:
    Celery. It adds nothing good to anything that it is added to and It ruins everything that it comes in contact with!

^^^Straight trippin'. Almost every Cajun/Creole dish starts with a base of sauteed onions, bell peppers, and celery, known to some as the "holy trinity".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_trinity_(cuisine)

stratasphere said:
    Pork. And if you're from the deep South, we pronounce it pawk.

More like poke.

Cosign on black licorice and water chestnuts. As for just about everything else listed, y'all are super marshmallow soft.

• BreakSelf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Woimsah said:

Also, for some reason which is beyond be, I LOVE chocolate, I LOVE peanut butter, but if you put them togehter, I'll hurl. Not sure what it is, I literally can't even smell that combo.

curious, do you hate cilantro because it tastes like soap to you? I know other folks who hate cilantro and their complaint is the "soap" taste...I've heard about an enzyme deficincy that effects the way some things taste to people and usually it is herbs like cilantro, basil, parsley...it has an unpleasant taste if you lack this specific enzyme...or so I've heard.

Pretty sure you're exactly on point with this dude. My mom and I LOVE cilantro (i'll throw it on just about anything) but my younger sister swears it tastes like soapy feet. Haven't heard the same about basil, but I can certainly imagine it. It's bugged how little we actually understand about the constituents of the foods we shove down our gullets.

Interesting, the following was posted on the National Geographic blog yesterday:
    Cilantro is one polarizing herb. The seemingly innocuous staple of Mexican, Asian, and Indian cuisines has become a fresh ingredient in news stories and inspired passion-fueled blogs. Fans liken its notes to those of citrus; haters say they smack of soap. Whichever side of the produce aisle you???re on, solidarity abounds. Yet it isn???t simply a matter of taste. According to Charles Wysocki of the Monell Chemical Sense Center, it???s actually about fl avor, which the brain perceives based on a complex combination of taste, smell, heat, texture. In the case of cilantro, Wysocki has a hunch that genes play a role too. His ongoing study of twins shows that identical ones have the same reaction to it far more often than fraternal ones do. The genetic verdict is still out, but one thing is certain: In California, where annual records are carefully kept, cilantro production has doubled in the past decade. Agricultural economist Gary Lucier says Americans are eating on average at least a third of a pound of it a year, likely due to our increasingly diverse culinary scene. Does that taste like victory, or work you into a lather? ???Catherine Barker
    http://blogs.ngm.com/blog_central/2010/09/taste-of-cilantro-inspires-herbaceous-debate.html

• musica said:
    disco_che said:
    Got to add tripe. Tried it once and it was nasty as hell.

:NO:

I love me some Mondongo. Copped some of the :goat: in Cartagena along with a side of chicharrones and some batacones:

Real Headz Be Knowing

If you don't like tripe its probably because it wasn't prepared well. A good mondongo is a thing of beauty, it will cure all severe hangovers.

Garcia_Vega said:
    it will cure all severe hangovers.

...which are also cured by the now-rare plate of manning up.

• Unfortunately, there are none.

• Marrow
    Courgettes(Zucchini)
    pomegranate

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    it will cure all severe hangovers.

...which are also cured by the now-rare plate of manning up.

LOL

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    mayo - sour barf
    raisins - bloated bugs
    bell peppers - terrible taste that ruin anything they come in contact with
    corn kernels - too sweet and you're just renting them anyway
    papaya - blech
    crab - horrible texture and too sweet
    black licorice - oh, you want me to eat overly sweet asphalt tar? no, thank you.
    brussel sprouts - brains and no amount of garlic will change that
    peas - smaller brains and no amount of garam masala will change that
    meat and fowl and all their bits, inside and out

cilantro and rapini are two of my favourite foods in the world! haha

• Options
    Hehe, this thread is not applicatable to me.

When you eat out of dumpsters anything edible is a gift.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Cosign on hating eggplant, organs, black licorice and olives.

I got three that are admittedly ban-worthy:

Asparagus. The flavor just hits me wrong.

Cheese (by itself). I LOVE me some cheese on stuff, in stuff, mixed in, melted on, whatever. But just taking a chunk of raw cheese and putting it my mouth makes me gag. Cannot deal. I recently went out for a friends bachelor party to one of the nicest spots in NY, and of course, one of the courses was cheese. For what we were paying, I felt like I would be crazy not to try it, but as soon as the first bite got in my mouth and started crumbing, I was nearly gagging. I could tell the preparation/accompaniments were incredible, but that big chunk of cheese in the middle was pure pain for me. I finished the dish in three bites, but it was not fun.

Eggs. My breakfasts are limited to sweet starches (pancakes, muffins, waffles, etc). Same deal as cheese; I can do it in food (like pad thai) but not as food.

I know, I know..

• bassie said:

brussel sprouts - brains and no amount of garlic will change that

I gotta say, roasted brussels sprouts have got to be one of the most delicious things on Earth.

But I eat and enjoy every- and anything, so I'm not a good barometer.

• GRITS!!!!

tolerated 'em as a kid, but I'd have to push away from the table if I were confronted with them now

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I fucking HATE Onions... cooked not so much, but Raw Onions on a hamburger.... Awful. Same with Pickles.

LOVE Raisins and Yogurt and Coffee... and some Mayo on a sandwich.

HATE CIRCUS PEANUTS & anything cooked up at an Indoor Fleamarket.

• Love shrimp, HATE dried shrimp and especially powdered. BARF.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    CIRCUS PEANUTS ARE ORANGE PIECES OF GARBAGE!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    BreakSelf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Woimsah said:

Also, for some reason which is beyond be, I LOVE chocolate, I LOVE peanut butter, but if you put them togehter, I'll hurl. Not sure what it is, I literally can't even smell that combo.

curious, do you hate cilantro because it tastes like soap to you? I know other folks who hate cilantro and their complaint is the "soap" taste...I've heard about an enzyme deficincy that effects the way some things taste to people and usually it is herbs like cilantro, basil, parsley...it has an unpleasant taste if you lack this specific enzyme...or so I've heard.

Pretty sure you're exactly on point with this dude. My mom and I LOVE cilantro (i'll throw it on just about anything) but my younger sister swears it tastes like soapy feet. Haven't heard the same about basil, but I can certainly imagine it. It's bugged how little we actually understand about the constituents of the foods we shove down our gullets.

Interesting, the following was posted on the National Geographic blog yesterday:
    Cilantro is one polarizing herb. The seemingly innocuous staple of Mexican, Asian, and Indian cuisines has become a fresh ingredient in news stories and inspired passion-fueled blogs. Fans liken its notes to those of citrus; haters say they smack of soap. Whichever side of the produce aisle you???re on, solidarity abounds. Yet it isn???t simply a matter of taste. According to Charles Wysocki of the Monell Chemical Sense Center, it???s actually about fl avor, which the brain perceives based on a complex combination of taste, smell, heat, texture. In the case of cilantro, Wysocki has a hunch that genes play a role too. His ongoing study of twins shows that identical ones have the same reaction to it far more often than fraternal ones do. The genetic verdict is still out, but one thing is certain: In California, where annual records are carefully kept, cilantro production has doubled in the past decade. Agricultural economist Gary Lucier says Americans are eating on average at least a third of a pound of it a year, likely due to our increasingly diverse culinary scene. Does that taste like victory, or work you into a lather? ???Catherine Barker
    http://blogs.ngm.com/blog_central/2010/09/taste-of-cilantro-inspires-herbaceous-debate.html

I read the article in the times about the enzyme lackers. I'm not sure if I'm one of them, bc it doesn't taste like soap to me, per say. It's just the most overpowering, horrendous taste. I guess I could see the soap comparison, but to me it's just bitter and tastes all sorts of wrong.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cilantro is not bitter, so either you're lacking some enzymes or talking about a different spice.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Woimsah said:

ive heard the exact same thing. apparently there really is some weird enzyme issue that affects the taste buds of some folks when it comes to cilantro. i wonder why just cilantro or if it affects anything else too?

that said i also dont like sea urchin.

pickwick33 said:
    GRITS!!!!

tolerated 'em as a kid, but I'd have to push away from the table if I were confronted with them now

Ever had em topped with grillades? Or fish? Yum...

The_Non said:
    Cilantro is not bitter, so either you're lacking some enzymes or talking about a different spice.

Nah, def cilantro, and to me does have somewhat of a bitter quality. Oh well, enzymes lacked.

• cottage cheese, YUCK

• RAJ said:
    I fucking HATE Onions... cooked not so much, but Raw Onions on a hamburger.... Awful.

I'm on the same page with onions. I always cook with onions, but I can't seem to shake my aversion to fresh onions (though I'll eat a clove of garlic like it's a piece of candy). I can deal with them in certain contexts like most Mexican dishes, a falafel sandwich, etc. But on their own, or in a burger = no dice.

As a kid I always liked a lot of the classic "disgusting" foods like Brussels sprouts and liver. I can't remember the last time I consumed liver, but I still dig Brussels sprouts.

Back to the OG post ... I also hate raisins in oatmeal cookies. "Sugar boogers" is a hilariously accurate description of those little bastards. And I generally hate when anything is added to brownies. I like dark chocolate brownies (Scharffenberger chocolate whenever possible) with nothing added. Keep your nuts to yourself.

As for cilantro, I absolutely love it. And it does seem to be something people either love or hate.

• The latest I heard on cilantro:

Cultural context is important.

I love it. And it does have notes of citrus, florals (among others), which are also notes in soap perfumes.

So, if you grow up in Latin America / Asia / other cilantro eating areas, where you've eaten it nearly since birth, you associate the taste / smell with yummy dinner from a very early age.

Many Americans have never encountered cilantro until later in life. So, their brains already primarily associate those tastes / smells with soap / dirty dishes / socks / laundry detergent. And therefore can be put off.

I've heard of cilantro haters who worked to change their associations (by continuing to try it in yummy dishes), and they can come to love it.

How can you eat real tacos without a topping of onions and cilantro? Life would so sad...

brokenrecord said:
    The latest I heard on cilantro:

How can you eat real tacos without a topping of onions and cilantro? Life would so sad...

Nah not really -- just have it with everything beside cilantro. Mexican food is pretty much my favorite cuisine beside bbq -- and cilantro is usually just a garnish. If it's blent into something, I usually can't taste it.

I again direct your attention to http://ihatecilantro.com/

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    brokenrecord said:
    The latest I heard on cilantro:

Nah not really -- just have it with everything beside cilantro. Mexican food is pretty much my favorite cuisine beside bbq -- and cilantro is usually just a garnish. If it's blent into something, I usually can't taste it.

I again direct your attention to http://ihatecilantro.com/

I didn't know BBQ was a category of cuisine.

• RAJ said:
    HATE CIRCUS PEANUTS & anything cooked up at an Indoor Fleamarket.

not applicable in this thread. the title specifically says "Food" you can't stand, thereby eliminating circus peanuts as an option for discussion.

• cilantro is not a garnish to mexican food. its pretty essential.

I don't like caviar. Particularly the big yellow and orange eggs.