Drake profile in NY Times

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh Soulhawk... Words escape me actually. I'll wait patiently by the computer for your next witty jab.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    haha you mad

I win

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Soulhawk said:

"get that paper Drake, get that paper Hailburton, get that paper BP, get that paper Walmart, get that paper Nike..."

fuck that noise, there is more important shit in the world than fucking money

Right On!!

From here on out please to send me for free all your 4 figure soul & funk 45's.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah... "THE INTERNET"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Soulhawk said:

"get that paper Drake, get that paper Hailburton, get that paper BP, get that paper Walmart, get that paper Nike..."

Right On!!

You sound like one of those guys who doesn't have a collection anymore and just buys records to re-sell them.

OH WAIT

• swissbeatzswissbeatz 152 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Soulhawk said:

Right On!!

FAIL

There's actually music yon can enjoy on these little things.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I can rap better than Drake.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You can't make money better than the Drake.

• Funny how when people flocked in the same spot to watch the World Cup, there was not even a scuffle. Maybe some bitter statements when Britain scored first, but nothing like this.

• incompletejigsaw said:

Funny how when people flocked in the same spot to watch the World Cup, there was not even a scuffle. Maybe some bitter statements when Britain scored first, but nothing like this.

By the way, this cameraman should win an award for his revisioning of "Cloverfield."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Pity the new board doesn't have a "lock thread" function.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    ??

mannybolone said:
    Pity the new board doesn't have a "lock thread" function.

Go to the first post in a thread. Click the Edit Button. Scroll Down and you will see a More Options link. There are some moderator tools (like close a thread)

:cool:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Thanks for unlocking this thread. It seemed like we were actually starting to get somewhere...

First of all, big :eyeroll: to the idea that new music has to be "important" today to be relevant. What does that have to do with jams that connect on a different kind of level that people (yes, young and old) enjoy listening to? Is it that Drake is void of substance (I can think of far worse offenders that get hella Strut love) or that he lacks the street-savvy social criticism of precious yesteryear in rap? Or is it that some of your biggest heroes of the last decade (*ahem* who are also products of the industry) are "endorsing" him? And anybody that does, gets written off as irrelevant to music today. Weak.

Criticize Drake all you want, but where the hell have you been the last ten years to think this is just the beginning or actually the end of what you hold so sacred? It's way too early to know if the dude is just passing through or here to stay. Why are you so threatened, less than a week after a first album release??

And the heavy-handedness on this board is really on some other schitt. There's a call-to-arms witch hunt when heads actually like something different than the rest of the flock. I bet there are a lot of other people on here, whose tastes in music are well respected, that like Drake. "OH NO! Are YOU one of THEM?" It's ridiculous.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Drakula

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    drewnice said:

And the heavy-handedness on this board is really on some other schitt. There's a call-to-arms witch hunt when heads actually like something different than the rest of the flock.

T.H.I.S.

And I don't even like Drake. Of course I'm only here to stir up shit apparently.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can't believe we're all going to break up over Drake.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm thinking about starting a brand new thread about the new Roots album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    drewnice said:
    Or is it that some of your biggest heroes of the last decade (*ahem* who are also products of the industry) are "endorsing" him? And anybody that does, gets written off as irrelevant to music today. Weak.

Drew, the only person who's ever really brought that up as an argument for or against Drake's music is you, when you pointed out that Bun B had cosigned him last year; I think most people know that rappers and R&B dudes will endorse anyone or anything, especially if that thing or person appears to be winning, and also don't really care. T-Pain did a drop for Sean Hannity. The greatest rapper in the history of the form dreams of becoming a member of Coldplay.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    The greatest rapper in the history of the form dreams of becoming a member of Coldplay.

Hell to the naw.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Melle Mel wants to be in Coldplay?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:
    Kool Keith wants to be in Coldplay?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    There are degrees of endorsement; it's not a binary. Your favorite rappers of note who are endorsing Drake are really endorsing Drake. Because he makes good music.

HarveyCanal said:
    faux_rillz said:
    The greatest rapper in the history of the form dreams of becoming a member of Coldplay.

Hell to the naw.

No, he really does!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    swissbeatz said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Soulhawk said:

Right On!!

FAIL

There's actually music yon can enjoy on these little things.

I just want the ones he's gonna put on ebay to "get paper" with.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    drewnice said:
    And the heavy-handedness on this board is really on some other schitt. There's a call-to-arms witch hunt when heads actually like something different than the rest of the flock. I bet there are a lot of other people on here, whose tastes in music are well respected, that like Drake. "OH NO! Are YOU one of THEM?" It's ridiculous.

Hold on, it isn't as if the anti-Drake faction on here (such as it is) walks in lock-step or is hatting for the sake of hatt (a really fucking lazy conclusion, imho). After all, even the most hostile posters have at least attempted a reasoned analysis of the Drake phenomenon (a valid term in this case, I feel). We're all grown-ups here and I think we're all capable of standing by our choices, whatever they may be, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to cry hype if they smell hype, nor to express a little healthy scepticism when they see what they feel is yet another averagely-talented performer getting promoted above his/her pay grade.

DocMcCoy said:
    drewnice said:

Hold on, it isn't as if the anti-Drake faction on here (such as it is) walks in lock-step or is hatting for the sake of hatt (a really fucking lazy conclusion, imho). After all, even the most hostile posters have at least attempted a reasoned analysis of the Drake phenomenon (a valid term in this case, I feel). We're all grown-ups here and I think we're all capable of standing by our choices, whatever they may be, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to cry hype if they smell hype, nor to express a little healthy scepticism when they see what they feel is yet another averagely-talented performer getting promoted above his/her pay grade.

It is funny/sad, though, that all of the erstwhile Drake rideurs have abandoned him and that there is now this collusive fiction that nobody on this board ever did or would check for him. I commend Drewn for being the only dude to stand by his tastes.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    drewnice said:

Hold on, it isn't as if the anti-Drake faction on here (such as it is) walks in lock-step or is hatting for the sake of hatt (a really fucking lazy conclusion, imho). After all, even the most hostile posters have at least attempted a reasoned analysis of the Drake phenomenon (a valid term in this case, I feel).

Of course people have different opinions, but you've been on this board long enough to know that unsubstantiated hatts gets tossed around regularly on a level of 'I don't need to hear it to know it's trash.' OK, cool. That shouldn't be news to you, but I wanted to address it. Is that the case in this particular thread? I'd like to think not, but that's being optimistic.

I'm cool with "phenomenon" and that's my point: don't lose your heads over a 23 year old rap singer.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Brian said:
    I can rap better than Drake.

Tajai can frap fresher than Drake.