Drake profile in NY Times

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Herm said:
    Man, I'm adding to the blahblahblah... cable news.

fixed!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    Man, I'm adding to the blahblahblah... cable news.

fixed!

Ha!

So I haven't seen it yet, but a friend of
    mine just posted a video of some guy who was
    close to tears after he purchased Drake's album. It was a World Star Hip Hop
    link so maybe someone can find it and post it here. (Too hard from
    my phone.)

Harvey, when was the last time you shed tears over Z-Ro??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    People crying and losing their shit and getting hysterical and rioting at the mall over Drake makes total sense to me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

On the daily I listen to Ro and shed tears of blood...which ultimately exacerbates the dilemmas at hand as blood tears are red rather than blue.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

On the daily I listen to Ro and shed tears of blood...which ultimately exacerbates the dilemmas at hand as blood tears are red rather than blue.
    |

Wait ummmm huh? Is that English ;)

B/W

I could care less about Drake and honestly I don't think I've ever played a Drake record out, unless you count the Fab remix of Throw It In The Bag which is a dope song.

I listened to the album. It's whatever to me, definitely not my thing, pop music. Which is what rap music is in 2010. Move along already.

But the opinions of a bunch of (mostly) 30+ year old white dudes posting on an internet record collecting message board doesn't mean shit to loads of people that ride for this dude. I pretty much assume that's a lot of high-schoolers and shit that like pop music, meaning they like rap music. Cue up all the grown men who would "ride" for D4L I guess...

I respect Noz's opinions ever though I don't always agree with him, but that piece on NPR is not going to influence the crazy amount of kids checking for this dude. Nor will our critiques and insight on the Strut.

SO what does it matter? I don't know. Dude already won at this game. Shit, I see 11+ pages about how terrible dude is and that says to me that he's won. And I agree for the most part, I'm not really a fan of the music whatsoever. The beat from "Over" is pretty cool though...

I need to take a nap. Oh yeah, I met Prince last night too. Kind of unreal

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Who the hell knows what I just typed. But yeah, Drake. Fuck it, who gives a shit?

Cosmo said:

I need to take a nap. Oh yeah, I met Prince last night too. Kind of unreal

Very diplomatic.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Diplomatic about my thoughts on Drake? How so, because I don't post on the internet about how much I loathe and despise him as an artist and by extension as a human being? I just don't understand what all the hubbub is about, on either side of the spectrum. KIM.

Bad artists come and go. As a pop music artist, as much as I don't like the music I would rather listen to Drake any day of the week than Miley Cirus or Ke$ha or Justin Bieber. Which is the category Drake belongs in, IMO. And that's not an endorsement for dude cause I could give a fuck less about his music. And I'm the type of dude that's in a position that's actually up in the mix with this shit. Who cares. Get money, everybody wins, earth keeps turning...

Oh yeah and I met Price last night.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Where's page 12?!

Cos -

You know I like to yap about music so bear with me.

You're absolutely right that Drake is for the kids man. But with that being said, there's plenty of people my age and older who are saying that this dude is talented and his music is great so I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand as kiddie pop stuff that I'm too old to be liking.

And that's really the thing, here - sure, NPR and Noz are not catering to the 16 year olds that are losing their schitt over Drizzy, but I do read the NY Times which is where the article at the top of this thread ran. So I'm allowed to have an opinion as a half Jewish 32 year old dude who reads the Times, right?

Lastly, man I am kind of sick of talking about "the game" and "winning" and shit. As Tip said famously "Rap is not pop if you call it that then stop." We can stand up for good music right? Damn near everyone I know in music these days isn't about that - they're about "winning" and "numbers" and buzz and someone's "movement". We come in the game to do good and stay in it to do well. I'm not so much talking about you because I know how you get down and definitely you are pushing the good shit, but most folks?

And so while I feel you in that it's really not speaking to me so why would I care, you know what? We always talk about how shit has changed, how little good music is being made, how the spirit of creativity is waning. I feel like we've let the younger generation down in a big way and most dudes our age are on some serious pussy shit, scared to make waves or say something remotely controversial. Because they'll be labeled as old and out of touch, shaking their fists at teh kids.... but it used to be a time when the old heads knew what was up and weren't afraid to speak on it. Dudes these days are so shook. Shook to be on the wrong side of a "movement". Fuck all that, feel me?

[/rant]

Cosmo said:
    Where's page 12?!

I'm the best mayne. I deed it.

• i don;t hate the dude as a person. in fact, is there any doubt that anyone here wouldn't love to be making that kind of money and having the sort of success he is having? this is about his enablers and the possible sinister forces at play and generally a discussion of pop culture.

of course nobody who likes drake would even come to this website much less give any of contrary thoughts expressed about his music any credence whatsoever but i don;t see why it's not a legit topic of conversation.

btw- what was prince like?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's just the time, dude. Fucking rap is in it's arena rock phase and "Thank Me Later" is this generation's "Frampton Comes Alive." That didn't kill rock & roll.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    fishmongerfunk said:

Like 5 seconds in a dark nightclub, and then POOF he was gone. I was like "Yo did that just really happen?" So strange...

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

It's undoubtedly informed by Kanye's post-rap opus 808s & Heartbreak...

does Batmon get royalties on his copyright?

• Cosmo said:
    fishmongerfunk said:

Like 5 seconds in a dark nightclub, and then POOF he was gone. I was like "Yo did that just really happen?" So strange...

lol. sounds like some kaiser soze styles.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't really understand the controversy here.

Drake's the biggest story in rap right now. That's indisputable. But people who are interested in rap aren't supposed to talk about it?

If you find the very existence of the thread upsetting, I suggest not clicking on it, rather than adding to it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Drake raps about feelings, without any real feelings.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

Drake's the biggest story in rap right now. That's indisputable. But people who are interested in rap aren't supposed to talk about it?

If you find the very existence of the thread upsetting, I suggest not clicking on it, rather than adding to it.

DId I hurt your feelings, homeboy?

I expressed my opinions, whether they may seem more ambivalent that contrarian.

Soul Strut Est 1999: The More Things Change...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Lastly, man I am kind of sick of talking about "the game" and "winning" and shit.

I feel this

people act like somebody making money is the only thing in the world -

"get that paper Drake, get that paper Hailburton, get that paper BP, get that paper Walmart, get that paper Nike..."

fuck that noise, there is more important shit in the world than fucking money

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Lastly, man I am kind of sick of talking about "the game" and "winning" and shit.

I feel this

"get that paper Drake, get that paper Hailburton, get that paper BP, get that paper Walmart, get that paper Nike..."

I agree for the most part, As someone who makes his living in music there's a part of me that finds that admirable, I will confess.

But I wholeheartedly agree with Jonny that it's a shame that the scales aren't more balanced, and yes I wish people made music for the sake of making music as opposed to making money. Music loses in the long run.

And I can't believe I'm actually replying this this Soulhawk motherfucker...

All I do is win win win no matter what
    Got money on my mind, I can never get enough
    And every time I step up in the building
    Everybody's hands go up...

AND THEY STAY THERE!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    faux_rillz said:

DId I hurt your feelings, homeboy?

I expressed my opinions, whether they may seem more ambivalent that contrarian.

Soul Strut Est 1999: The More Things Change...

Huh?

You're asking if you hurt my feelings because I said that I don't understand the controversy? Or because I suggested that people who don't think the discussion should be occurring at all might be better served by not contributing lengthy poasts to it?

I don't really get it.

Cosmo said:
    I can't believe I'm actually replying this this Soulhawk motherfucker...

fuck you too, Mr Superstar-DJ-name-dropping-cornball

;-)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    Cosmo said:
    I can't believe I'm actually replying this this Soulhawk motherfucker...

fuck you too, Mr Superstar-DJ-name-dropping-cornball

;-)

Yeah I know life sucks. It's okay, but things will hopefully get better for you eventually

Sorry son, but sincerely all the best of luck to you!

Soulhawk said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I feel this

Yep.
    To speak to an earlier post - there is nothing appealing about this kind of money or fame to me. And his "success" is subjective.

This is the rallying cry of a lot of Drake's Toronto supporters in the hip hop sphere...if I were an artist, it would depress the shit out of me.
    If someone genuinely likes Drake, then fine. But I get the sense that no one wants to burn any bridges. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit, I think everyone in Toronto is six degrees away from this plush toy, less if you are involved in music.
    People do not want to speak ill of a phenomenon that might - a pretty big might - happen to them.

we all can't be you Cosmo

maybe you'll get that Drake remix you've been gunning for

best of luck on that

• i think we finally broke this new board in and to think its all thanks to drake.

"love the drake!"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    bassie said:
    People counting cars to keep from going crazy over Drake makes total sense to me.