NBA FINALS-2010 Magic/Bird Again

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    edpowers said:
    i think Jason Kidd is a better point guard...eliminate Kidd, Rondo is still 6th in the west and lower overall.....I like Rondo but the hype is way too much.....dude is playing with 3 Legends....Ray Allen won this game not Rondo's play.

I'm rooting for the Lakers but I gotta call bullshit here. Ray Allen is what put the Celtics in a winning position thanks to a face-melting first half but his offense faded hard in the second. Lakers could have *easily* kept the game "too close to call" in the waning minutes until Rondo stripped Fisher when he was setting up for a 3.

Game over, right there.

In EP's defense, even SOI has to admit that Rondo - like the rest of the Celtics - hasn't played with great consistency in the last few weeks. In that regard, his worth as a point guard needs to be kept more measured until you can count on Rondo showing up every night with his A game. *That said*? The way he destroyed the Cavs that one night ranks as one of the most eye-popping performances I've ever seen and I'm not just saying that because Rondo really does look like some kind of alien.

This all said, a good win for the Celtics but they definitely still look rusty, especially KG and PP who, thus far, have been utter non-factors. The Celtics came up tonight because of Allen's first half + Rondo and Davis' 4th quarter, not to mention a Lakers offense that was surprisingly inept despite still rocking the rebounds. Great to see Bynum finally have a monster game, pity it came too little. I'd also agree that Artest's ball-handling in the final minutes was bewildering and unfortunate. He had a pretty good game up until then. Kobe's Mr. Clutch mode also faltered when it counted...the Lakers just seemed crazy hesitant to take perimeter shots when there were a few cases where dudes were wide open. C'est la vie. Bring on Game 3.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I agree that the officiating is shit. Let these dudes play.

I was way wrong that this would be Boston's series.... Lakers played below potential, Boston was gasping for breath and eked it out. With the quick turnaround and then successive 1-day rest, I don't see them taking the next two. They might lose both.

I still think it's boring, though.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Knocked out by halftime...off Newcastle, pizza, and wings...

woke up to see the Lakers crumble in the final minutes.

This is a real good series so far.

Rondo is a freak of nature. He's unprecedented in that he has a combination of incredible speed, incredible length at his position.....If he improves his outside shooting, it's gameover....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:

Rondo is a freak of nature. He's unprecedented in that he has a combination of incredible speed, incredible length at his position.....If he improves his outside shooting, it's gameover....

Where's MAD Yuichi at?

We need more "Lakers in 5.......No I mean 6......Alright I guarantee a blowout in Game 7" Switchup nonsense.

1)Steve Nash
    2)Deron Williams
    3)Tony Parker
    4)Chris Paul
    5)Jason Kidd
    6)Russell Westbrook
    7)Chauncey Billups

Sorry to nitpick Ed, but you get "minus one" for that Deron Williams inclusion,
    cuz you had him in his rookie season as "just another Chucky Atkins" or something.

Chauncey is falling quickly. Nash, you gotta give props to, but I would NOT list him as #1....

Chris Paul is overrated.

Kidd is aiite.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Where's MAD Yuichi at?

We need more "Lakers in 5.......No I mean 6......Alright I guarantee a blowout in Game 7" Switchup nonsense.

I'm wiser now. Probably helps that I was knocked out for most of the second half.

Switchup nonsense? You want me to be like the rest of yallz and make stupid predictions? I know that basketball is too dynamic a sport to call anything. Anybody on any given night can be a contributor, cuz these guys are pros. It's just too damn unpredictable...

Go motherfuckin' Lakers!!!

I hope they got the Rocky music cued up at TD Garden Arena.....

FUCK A BOSTON ALL DAY.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Where's MAD Yuichi at?

Pacers in 6

edpowers said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Where's MAD Yuichi at?

Pacers in 6

Are u sure or u gonna switch up after each game?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    It's not like you won't be the first to know if I do...

• [
    I was loving Artest in the closing minutes of the game. Lakers need to hit some 3s in a hurry, and Ron dribbles around...dribbles around...dribbles around...picks up his dribble...holds the ball.... I was actually kinda bummed he fouled out. The whole defensive strategy for the Celtics would've been get the ball in Artest's hands, then just let Ron be Ron.

Watching Ron handle the ball for like 15 seconds was almost painful to watch. I wasn't rooting for LA, but I was in the house wondering when he'd pass it or something. Just play defense, Ron. Nothing more. I still think it'll be Boston in 6, although Paul Pierce said they're not coming back to LA.

[
    I was loving Artest in the closing minutes of the game. Lakers need to hit some 3s in a hurry, and Ron dribbles around...dribbles around...dribbles around...picks up his dribble...holds the ball.... I was actually kinda bummed he fouled out. The whole defensive strategy for the Celtics would've been get the ball in Artest's hands, then just let Ron be Ron.

Watching Ron handle the ball for like 15 seconds was almost painful to watch. I wasn't rooting for LA, but I was in the house wondering when he'd pass it or something. Just play defense, Ron. Nothing more. I still think it'll be Boston in 6, although Paul Pierce said they're not coming back to LA.

Considering how this same Celtics squad got destroyed at home by the Cavs and lost listless games to the Magic at home, I find it impossible to think that the Lakers are going to drop three games in a row at the Garden. Just not going to happen. Right now, neither of these teams seem capable of sustaining any strong consistency amongst their cast of players from game to game. I think the Lakers have an excellent shot at taking at least 1, maybe even 2 games in Boston, especially if Odom finally decides to show up and the Celtics' perimeter shooting continues to alternate between hot and cold (I mean, no offense to Ray Allen but I don't see him chucking up another 8 downtown shots in Game 3).

That said, the Lakers' swing from Game 1 to 2 (not to mention losing those two games to Phoenix because they couldn't shoot over a zone D), also means that they're vulnerable. I could see them coming back to LA down 2-3 just as easily as I'd hope they be 3-2 instead. But swept in Boston? NEVER THAT SON.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    (I mean, no offense to Ray Allen but I don't see him chucking up another 8 downtown shots in Game 3).

woah. telling

FISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFIFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHER
    FISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHER

FISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFIFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHER
    FISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHERFISHER

^^^THIS.

b/w

Ray Allen...
    W
    T
    F.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    well, we certainly have a series.

I missed most of the game, or at least, 1st half on the radio @ work, 2nd half at a bar while watching bands play, but the C's seemed awful in the 1st half, almost brought it even by the end but that Fisher play was the dagger of all daggers. Really hope the C's can take the next 2 ... obviously.

too much Newcastle and a drunken bike sprint home has me disoriented. Go Celtics.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wow, that really reads like a Yuichi post. not a good sign.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Fisher played out of his skull tonight. I was really surprised by that.

JimBeam said:
    Fisher played out of his skull tonight. I was really surprised by that.

I'm not surprised but for real, this effort tonight even eclipses his clutchocity in Game 4 of last year's finals.

"The Officiating was horrible!!!!!"

Fisher doesnt die.

mannybolone said:

Highlight for years to come.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Fisher was great in the 4th, but it wasn't shocking. He made a few jumpers, missed a few, and hit that really nice and-1 after getting clobbered. Rondo outplayed him and will outplay him every game, he's just better.

Kobe seemed tired in the 4th. I never bet, but took LA yesterday (prior to game 3) for the series. You can't rely on outside shooters to be consistent for a whole series. Allen was great in game 2 and off in game 3. It happens. He's still one of the best shooters ever.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Nick the Brick Anderson

meet

Ray Ohfer Allen

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Rondo has no jump shot. It's kind of pathetic.

keithvanhorn said:
    Fisher was great in the 4th, but it wasn't shocking. He made a few jumpers, missed a few, and hit that really nice and-1 after getting clobbered. Rondo outplayed him and will outplay him every game, he's just better.

You're writing this as if it's uncommon knowledge. Sure, Rondo's a better PG. He's the future of the franchise. I don't think anyone would seriously debate that. But you're staring at a box score vs. looking at the game. As Andade put it:

"[Fisher] has outlasted Russell Westbrook, Deron Williams and Steve Nash in this playoff run, and Tuesday he made a bigger impact than Rondo. Any one of those point guards would be selected over Fisher in a draft or free-agent marketplace, but Fisher's big moments in the playoffs over the past seven years rank above or beyond them all."

I mean, if you want to look at the box score, looking at the 4th quarter stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=300608002&period=4

Rondo outplayed Fisher? Not in the 4th. Not down the stretch (Rondo's last assist was crucial to pulling the Celtics within 1 but no doesn't feed an assist nor score a point (or even draw a foul) from 8 minutes to go until the end of the night.). And certainly not to put the game away, the same way he did to Fisher (poetically enough) two nights ago.

Rondo wins stats. Fisher won the game.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    fisher made a couple of tough shots. did he outplay rondo? no. its hard to say that fisher did not have a better 4th quarter but they are such different players, and even when rondo does nothing, he is still a threat. rondo can get to the basket better than anyone on the celts or lakers, including kobe. if he's on the floor, the defense has to play differently.

fisher is clutch but he's someone you double off of to go attack kobe or gasol. the same could be said for rondo because of his shitty jumpshot, but he burns you in so many other ways, i'd put him in my top 10 pg's in the league easily.

i like fisher's game but if people start making him out to be the mvp it's like a robert horry situation. they both do well under pressure, but let's just consider that an attribute, not the only important category.

keithvanhorn said:

Kobe seemed tired in the 4th. I never bet, but took LA yesterday (prior to game 3) for the series. You can't rely on outside shooters to be consistent for a whole series. Allen was great in game 2 and off in game 3. It happens. He's still one of the best shooters ever.

No doubt. But you have to admit that Allen's reversal was stunning and unexpected. It takes skill to have the kind of shooting game he had on Tuesday. It takes some voodoo curse for him to go 0-13 two days later. I suppose "it happens" but c'mon; shit was a disaster!

Kobe's 29 FGA weren't too pretty either. I was joking with a friend during the 3rd that we needed to see more of "I'm gonna do all this by myself" Kobe and then promptly regretted it by the 4th.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    and even when rondo does nothing, he is still a threat.

hysterical.
    no, when he does nothing it's called the 4th quarter of the game last night. that's not a threat, that literally is nothing. he got outplayed on both ends of the floor.
    and rey's right-- he's a good point guard but ppl need to get off the dudes dick. he doesn't have a consistent jumpshot, cannot be relied upon to shoot threes and went a whole 1/4 from the stripe last night.
    some point guard.

JimBeam said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    and even when rondo does nothing, he is still a threat.

hysterical.
    no, when he does nothing it's called the 4th quarter of the game last night. that's not a threat, that literally is nothing. he got outplayed on both ends of the floor.
    and rey's right-- he's a good point guard but ppl need to get off the dudes dick. he doesn't have a consistent jumpshot, cannot be relied upon to shoot threes and went a whole 1/4 from the stripe last night.
    some point guard.

Didnt Rondo run the point during the Celtic comeback?

I think its an exaggeration to say dude was a "non-factor" down the stretch last night.