NBA FINALS-2010 Magic/Bird Again

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central

Go Boston.

Comments

• Although I thought that Orlando had the momentum before meeting Boston to make it to the Finals and win, but I see Boston taking this in 6. Do you think that they'll rehash that half Larry/Magic commercial from 2 years ago or will they autotune Larry and Magic quotes for this series?!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Is this the Wacka Flacka edition?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think this could turn out on some 7 game epic-ness. Though, just for my sanity, I'd like to see it over in 6!

BTW, can we all acknowledge that Kobe = postseason MVP? Lebron who?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    maru said:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    mannybolone said:

BTW, can we all acknowledge that Kobe = postseason MVP? Lebron who?

I don't think we can agree on anything of the sort until the Finals are over.

If the Celtics win, either Rondo or Pierce could get it, depending on what they do in the Finals.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Did anyone catch that highlight they showed of Game 5 towards the end of the game of an LA huddle where P. Jackson is telling Gasol, Don't pass Arest the ball. Don't even look at him.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Go Lakers. nuff said.

• i can't wait for this to go down, i'm thinking Boston in 6

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    boring. (no le-)

I guess I'm rooting for Boston.

I guess I'll watch. It's not like there's shit else on.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ha that commercial is kinda gay at the 19 second mark and the way bird says 'show me what you guat'

gotta go east coast on this. go celtics!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    boring. (no le-)

I guess I'm rooting for Boston.

I guess I'll watch. It's not like there's shit else on.

Wait: how can a Lebron-less Finals be any more boring that watching Lebron play uninspired, heart-less basketball two series ago? Dude had his chance to shine and both he and his team took a massive fail.

The Celtics are the best story in the post-season right now and meanwhile, you have one of the greatest players of our generation playing out of his mind right now, determined to slay his team's nemesis and achieve redemption. I mean, it's a pretty damn good narrative.

Of course, if this series ends in a 5 game blowout with lopsided scores...

I mean, I'm sure there will be some great basketball played.

but spare me the "story" and "narrative" bullshit, you Celtic fan!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If the powers that be in the NBA could pick any two teams to have in the Finals who do you think they would choose??

I would've said Cavs vs. Lakers.

But Celts vs. Lakers ain't bad either.

Knicks vs. Lakers in 2012.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    it's not magic v bird, not even close...

gotta move on, people...I live in a town that's still talmbout 1995 (just gave out a ken griffey jr bobblehead doll in the pose where he was sliding into home in the one-game playoff fifteen years ago: he's batting like.030. comeonbros), so I know what it looks like when you're holding on too long.

but: if I can fit this bastard over my cast, best believe I'll be rocking it, as I have more than a few times in june. I pulled it out of the pile in the closet:

and, "Beat LA" always seemed so weak to me...basing your whole deal on your competition is little dude status: rep your guys!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I mean, I'm sure there will be some great basketball played.

but spare me the "story" and "narrative" bullshit, you Celtic fan!

Actually, I'm pretty sure O-Deezy is that rare and twisted abomination: a diehard Red Sox fan who roots for the Lakers.

o the humanity

dukeofdelridge said:

and, "Beat LA" always seemed so weak to me...basing your whole deal on your competition is little dude status: rep your guys!

lol - Celtics and their fans: "little dude" status in the NBA for 50+ years! (((SMH)))

and if you understood the roots of "Beat L.A." you wouldn't talk that bullshit.

it wasn't even chanted for the Celtics - it was originally chanted by Boston fans in the ECF when it became clear that the C's were going to lose to the Sixers - and in a show of East Coast solidarity and general Laker hate, the fans started chanting "Beat L.A." Beating L.A. is something the Cletics take seriously - which is why 9 of the 11 times they have met in the Finals, the Celtics have won. Not even Elgin Baylor could stop it from happening.

SoulOnIce said:

lol - Celtics and their fans: "little dude" status in the NBA for 50+ years! (((SMH)))

and if you understood the roots of "Beat L.A." you wouldn't talk that bullshit.

it wasn't even chanted for the Celtics - it was originally chanted by Boston fans in the ECF when it became clear that the C's were going to lose to the Sixers - and in a show of East Coast solidarity and general Laker hate, the fans started chanting "Beat L.A." Beating L.A. is something the Cletics take seriously - which is why 9 of the 11 times they have met in the Finals, the Celtics have won.

ehhh... "Sports Fan" is pretty small fry too, no? Weird to me, these days. Believing that any of these dudes care even half as much as you do is hard. I guess I'm from the West Coast, where people seem to care less and less (myself included), so I shouldn't get into it...nobody went to the Sonics games for a few years here, and they moved somewhere else...nobody really cares, and it's kind of nice... But, even when I had X-man posters on my walls, the whole "at least we got beat by the Champs" bit was weird... Who knows? Maybe I'm weird.

SoulOnIce said:
    Not even Elgin Baylor could stop it from happening.

Elgin Baylor went to school down the street. We cool?

From the few games I've watched, it looks like the Celtics will roll...they seem to play something closer to "Magic v Bird" than Kobe: I saw them pass a few times!

give it up - related: kenny griffey just retired.

he was batting .184, with zero home runs.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Celtics should play Zone

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    spare me the "story" and "narrative" bullshit

should be the quote of the series.
    shit's been rererehashed.

JimBeam said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Yo - he was saying shit was going to be boring. My point: how could these two teams - the way they've been playing in the post-season - be boring? I can appreciate if people hate both teams for just being uber-dominant but look, this is the best possible match-up for the Finals. Cavs looked good on paper...a month ago. Then they rolled over and died to Boston. Bye bye!

And for real: I ride for purple and gold. Never, ever was a Celtics fan, not even as a kid in Boston. (But yes, I bleed red for the Sox).

mannybolone said:
    JimBeam said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

And for real: I ride for purple and gold. Never, ever was a Celtics fan, not even as a kid in Boston. (But yes, I bleed red for the Sox).

You were a young sell-out!! ;)

Great players/teams can play boring games... If LA makes it a real series I'll tune in. I think the Celtics will roll.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i love watching rondo play...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This has the makings of an epic finals series. Both teams have the veteran presence and star power though out their respective starting lineups. And there's the revenge aspect from the 2008 series and the historical animosity between the two teams. I think the key matchup will be Artest vs. Pierce; hopefully, the boy Ron-Ron maintains his cool, contains Pierce, and not get thrown out early. If this series goes long (which I expect it will), Lakers will pull it out because Celtics will show their age and break down.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Revenge for '08 makes ZERO sense to me.

Oh, the Lakers are mad because they lost by 40 in the deciding game?

Guess whose fault that was?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

gareth said:
    Revenge for '08 makes ZERO sense to me.

Oh, the Lakers are mad because they lost by 40 in the deciding game?

Guess whose fault that was?

Think of it less as "revenge" and more as "redemption."

Makes total sense though. That's like saying the Red Sox shouldn't have taken any enjoyment in '04 for coming back from 0-3 against the Yankees because it was "their fault" they lost to the Yanks all those times in the past.

GTFOOH: You get humiliated by a team (even if you laid an egg), you want to return the favor. Sports 101.