World Cup 2010 - Bastards Speak Up 2.0!!!

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    iniesta is learning from xavi
    he will be a fierce veteran for years to come

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Any predictions for the final? Apart from what that octopus claims.

I'm hoping for a Holland win, but fearing the worst.

• 1000fm said:
    Any predictions for the final? Apart from what that octopus claims.

I'm hoping for a Holland win, but fearing the worst.

I think that Holland can pull a victory out of the Final tomorrow. I think that it'll be as closely contested as the Deutschland/Spain semifinal. 2-1 victory.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    forlan's passing is underrated
    suarez choked
    cavani going to man citeh?
    great game
    ozil' be a beast for years to come

This match is turning out a lot more entertaining than I had anticipated!

b/w

I can't believe this is the same Forlan:

• Definitely a great game all-around. Kroos and Kiessling are a few names to watch out for in the future. For playing on one good leg, Forlan was excellent, and that last free kick almost went in had it not been for the crossbar. Now on to anticipating a Holland victory.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i wish forlan would have made it and gotten the golden boot he deserves
    ESPANA!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Salcido should perhaps get the nod over Ashley Cole too, but as Doc McCoy said, he's the best LB in the world!!! ;-P

DocMcCoy said:
    Cole...probably the best left back in Europe, if not the world...

I stand by this. Salcido arguably had the better tournament, but anyone using "a good World Cup" as the measure of a player's quality would do well to heed two words: Phil Babb.

Speaking of which, the following players, all of whom have been said to have had "a good World Cup", are supposedly on LFC's watchlist. Expect to see some or all of them stinking out the joint at a Premiership ground near you from late August;

Maynor Figueroa
    Yasuhito Endo
    Gervinho
    Reto Ziegler

We might also be in for Royston Drenthe and David Trezeguet, so it looks as if Woy will be resuming the latter-day Liverpool tradition of providing a home for underachieving misfits and slightly past-it strikers.

DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Salcido should perhaps get the nod over Ashley Cole too, but as Doc McCoy said, he's the best LB in the world!!! ;-P

DocMcCoy said:
    Cole...probably the best left back in Europe, if not the world...

I stand by this. Salcido arguably had the better tournament, but anyone using "a good World Cup" as the measure of a player's quality would do well to heed two words: Phil Babb.

Very true, Salcido has been playing truly horrible matches on a weekly bases for a couple of years now at PSV who'll jump at any chance of letting him go for a couple million this summer. It was shocking to see him perform the way he did this tournament.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    BTW Kaka is getting the shaft in here. He was very effective (3 assts) and played with a bad wheel.

Call it The Curse Of Nike or whatever, but none of the marquee names really turned up, did they? Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba, Ribery, Kaka, Cannavaro - they all had bad or ineffective World Cups. On the other hand, the golden boot was being fought over by a Manchester Utd reject, a lad who only made the Bayern Munich first team last season, and a guy who, up until the start of the tournament, was probably the most underrated player in the Dutch side.

Ronaldo, Kaka, Ribery and Cannavaro didn't have the greatest of seasons prior to this WC anyway, to me Rooney was one of the biggest dissapointments of the tournament after the season he had.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    don mccoy
    the players chasing the boot all had great seasons
    forlan single handedly brought some dignity to his team's terrible season
    and mueller is 20!

This is what I mean, though. Nowadays, especially in the way football is marketed, there's a tendency to focus on The Big Name, and the fact that it's a team game, in which less-celebrated players often make key contributions, tends to be overlooked.

I think the media, particularly in the UK, has a lot to answer for, too. Nobody over here was talking about Thomas Muller as a player to watch before the tournament. In fact, only Jim Beglin on ITV's commentary team seemed to know anything about him. All the focus was on the usual suspects. I'm sure someone will back me up here when I say that in the UK we're used to the so-called TV pundits having no idea of what they're talking about; for example, Forlan is still judged by his underperforming term with Man United, and derisively referred to as "Diego Forlorn". The fact he's scored well over 100 goals in La Liga since he left United barely merits a mention.

A lot of people I know swear by the coverage on the Irish state channel RTE, where supposedly the pundits are more knowledgeable. Yet they too wrote Germany off, seemingly on the basis of Bayern's failure to win the CL, which was mainly down to van Buyten (a Belgian) and De Michelis (an Argentinean) both having stinkers in the middle of defence. These are people who, ostensibly, are employed by TV companies to provide some analysis of the play and some background on who the key figures are likely to be, and they haven't got a clue. Instead, they talk about the same big names you see in all the ad campaigns who, almost to a man, have failed to live up to their billing, poor domestic seasons or not. The real stars of the tournament have been the previously unsung.

• Holland seems to have confused this with MMA. Flying kicks? That??s not football.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    funkfromthesun said:
    Holland seems to have confused this with MMA. Flying kicks? That??s not football.

Flying dutchman kicks???

Minus one of my all time fav Flying dutchman players, who was scared to fly...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Daaaaaamn that took some effort.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    JUSTICE IS DONE.

Well, that was hardly a classic. Watching Holland was like watching Blackburn if they'd been busted down six divisions. Fucking horrible, horrible football. The best team won by some considerable distance.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    What was with the Dutch at the end? Come come, you were dealt generous breaks by the ref who did his best to avoid making it look like a pub thug early-bath fest.

NAGL.

It was a nothing infringment as well - some two-bob obstruction. They were lucky to finish with ten men on the park.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Congrats Holland: you successfully lost any new soccer fans made during this World Cup!

that game sucked.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    Congrats Holland: you successfully lost any new soccer fans made during this World Cup!

that game sucked.
    well guess what merryman
    no one gives a fuaaaaaack

• deserved winners.

it was a shame to see the dutch kicking their way through the game though...

but good to see a gooner instrumental in winning the world cup.

Fuck fuck fuck, Howard Webb you fuck!

I wish we had just gone out in the first round.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Kaka didn't have a good cup? Dude was tied for assts (3). He played pretty well and certainly much better than in 2006.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    So good riddance to a woeful WC - worst since 94 imho.

Damn, how bad are Holland? No magnificence at all. Not a reflection of the Dutch people I know - they will be positively sickened by their team's stance. Thank fuck Van Bommel and Robben are not stealing away with the WC bling. Nasty, horrible shits.

BTW No-one mentioned the best kit of the tournament, by a distance - Portugal's away strip.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    neil_something said:
    deserved winners.

it was a shame to see the dutch kicking their way through the game though...

but good to see a gooner instrumental in winning the world cup.

Young MC definitely killed it with the sidekick to Xabi Alonso.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DrWu said:
    Kaka didn't have a good cup? Dude was tied for assts (3). He played pretty well and certainly much better than in 2006.

Dr Wu, sir
    you are treating football like a management accountant would treat contributions to the bottom line from a trading floor.

Please to cease and desist. Unless there is glory, supreme skill, panache, elan and chutzpah involved, your top players had a shit WC regardless of how many 'assists' dude made. And since when did assists start wheedling their ugly way into the soccerball vocab?
    Heinous term.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yep, World Cup fatigue set in a while back. don't really care about the blah blah. glad it's over.

Hi Skel.