iPad revisted

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
So...anyone actually cop one? If so, what's the verdict?

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I'm curious too. I've messed with one a few times at an Apple Store and a Best Buy. Each time I was excited to try it out but just sort of felt not excited about it. I've got my iPhone and as much as I hate to say it and without any negativity towards the iPad, I felt like it was the same thing as an iPhone, just larger. I definitely see it's merits, I know folks who are digging it.

But, w/ a MacBook Pro and iPhone. I think I'm doing just fine.

I'm curious too, did anyone get one?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am probably going to buy one. My laptop is super outdated and figure the lady can use it to read magazines and check out websites while chilling on the couch.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I got one over the weekend and LOVE IT, but it really is an oversized iPhone.

The display is absolutely gorgeous and am feeling the fact that it makes the Internet much more accessible with it's 1024 resolution and its portability.

The display is also good for showing people pics and watching videos.

With that being said, I like how you can load iWork on it. I use Pages like crazy, so I can get use of that app as well.

What else? Basically and iPod touch on roids. Battery life is great too.

Things I don't like: No multi-task (I hear this will be fixed with 4.0), No Finder, Fingerprints show up like crazy on this (not good for OCD fools like me), iPhone apps work, BUT the resolution native ipHone resolution.

With that being said, I would recommend playing with one at Best Buy. I was real skeptical until I played with one. The brilliant display and ease of web surfing and portability is what sold me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Raj: You do wi-fi or the 3g model?

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts

c'mon son, you know RAJ copped the 3G

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    check out websites while chilling on the couch.

This is main thing it's good for right now. I was extremely skeptical after the initial announcement, but having used one a bit, I definitely think its going to eventually be something everyone has in their living rooms, and I'd consider copping the next generation, especially if it has a forward facing video camera.

One guy I work with has the MLB season pass, and he sits with iPad propped up next to his computer, switching between live mlb games all day in hd video. pretty awesome..

I'm still inclined to buy from companies that are more open with their software restrictions, but there's no denying that the thing is sexy as hell, and they're coming out of the gate REAL strong, already dominating the emerging tablet market..

Why? I mean, if you already have an iphone, I'd be thinking 1) jailbreak iphone, 2) mywifi app, 3) tether your iPad to your Iphone.

Fuck a $30/mo. data charge ON TOP of what you're already paying for your iPhone.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The only thing that stops me from buying one of these is the onscreen keyboard. I write for a living and need something I can mash a few pages out on, on the fly. My netbook does that, this won't... dammit.

Why? I mean, if you already have an iphone, I'd be thinking 1) jailbreak iphone, 2) mywifi app, 3) tether your iPad to your Iphone.

Fuck a $30/mo. data charge ON TOP of what you're already paying for your iPhone.

I got the wi-fi. I have an Iphone that's unlocked to take T-Mobile and for some reason or another my Iphone 3G is not compatible with T-Mobile 3G? So no 3G for me...

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts

I got the wi-fi. I have an Iphone that's unlocked to take T-Mobile and for some reason or another my Iphone 3G is not compatible with T-Mobile 3G? So no 3G for me...

surprising but understandable

The only thing that stops me from buying one of these is the onscreen keyboard. I write for a living and need something I can mash a few pages out on, on the fly. My netbook does that, this won't... dammit.

The keyboard in landscape mode ain't all that bad. Takes some getting used to though.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Raj, what size did you get?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    But, w/ a MacBook Pro and iPhone. I think I'm doing just fine.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, I never, EVER buy the first release of a new technology.
    Second revisions always fix and improve upon the original.

C'mon, son. You know he splurged for the... 64 gig.

Seriously, still a big drawback -- they will force its users to utilize "cloud computing."

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I played with a friend's iPad, it's a very cool gadget but the fact that Flash doesn't work on it is a huge turnoff for me. Hulu and internet poker are two things I use my current laptop for a lot, if I can't do either one there's really no point. Hopefully Apple will get it straight down the line.

I got the 16... Unless you commute on the subway or on the road alot, I can't see why you need any more.

I played with a friend's iPad, it's a very cool gadget but the fact that Flash doesn't work on it is a huge turnoff for me. Hulu and internet poker are two things I use my current laptop for a lot, if I can't do either one there's really no point. Hopefully Apple will get it straight down the line.

Apparently, you missed Jobs no-two-ways-about-it-fuck-Flash memo from last week. Basically, Apple is gambling that HTML 5 is going to dead Flash in the long run.

That may be some crazy hubris but regardless, if you're waiting for Flash on an iPhone or iPad, don't hold your breath.

I think it's lame but it wouldn't stop me from copping.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Got the 64 GB version here (no 3G). Ditto everything Raj says, the screen is gorgeous and the keyboard is surprisingly easy to use. Great battery life, too.

Awesome for what it is -- not made for heavy duty word/video processing, but light web browsing. Instead of lugging your laptop out to the couch or onto the porch, use the iPad. The wife and I were on vacation last week, and it was a perfect for finding good restaurants, checking in for flights, etc.

And the NY Times iPad app is

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    Typing on my 64GB Wi-Fi. As a heavy iPod touch user, it's familiar but much better. The browser is what does it, not loading those iPhone optimized sites, but the full screen one you see on your desktop, blurring the lines between mobile/stationary computing. The only games I purchased were NOVA and Mahjong, they are both really nice. I bought AirVideo too as I have tons of HD movies and it streamed Avatar flawlessly to the iPad. Gansta.
    Beatmaker has to get scaled up from the iPhone version, but really it doesn't matter just having the pads bigger made it feel much more like a MPC, and the iPad touchscreen is really sensitive. Hopefully Intua will upgrade soon. I'm really jonesing for something like Live or Reason lite. The speakers are actually surprisingly loud too.
    Over all Apple undoubtedly just owned the tablet market exactly the same way the way did with iPod and iPhone. Every thing else released will be compared to it.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Gansta.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    did you know that you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with iPad?
    How to use Bluetooth Keyboard with iPad

What were the previous times?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I just played with it for the first time over the wknd, and it was fine for what it is and the video quality was good... but it puzzles me that they released it at all 1) w/out multitasking ability, even though it was already on the horizon when it was put out and 2) w/out any USB ports... I mean really, WTF?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Jailbreak is already out. There's a cool hack where you can expand iphone apps to ipad res with no pixelation.

Is there any reason you really need more than 16GB for this thing? I can't see myself storing that much onto an iPad esp. since I would keep all my music/podcasts (the big memory hogs) on my iPhone.

• 48volts48volts 18 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Is there any reason you really need more than 16GB for this thing? I can't see myself storing that much onto an iPad esp. since I would keep all my music/podcasts (the big memory hogs) on my iPhone.
    Movies (avi files) will eat up space pretty quick and this thing would be great as a player. I just cant justify dropping $800 on one yet.

mannybolone said:

The only way you need more than 16 is if you travel a lot and watch a lot of movies / TV shows.

Still LOVING my iPad. My number one problem with the iPad is the kids and my wife are constantly playing with it.

RAJ said:
    Still LOVING my iPad. My number one problem with the iPad is the kids and my wife are constantly playing with it.

Heard this gripe from a lot of people. Unfortunately for me, the iPad has been moved to wish list status. I need to renovate the bathroom at the actual pad.