iPad revisted

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm tripping off the fact that my iPhone has twice the RAM and better resolution than the iPad. Maybe another reason to wait for iPad 2.0

• The iPad: Bringing you one step closer to never having to leave the couch.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    The iPad: Bringing you one step closer to never having to leave the couch.

You get one, holmes?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I really don't want to buy one of these but I found out that some apps that I previously thought would only interact with OSX are actually compatible with Windows so I'm reconsidering. Anyone have just any general use comments since this thread has been created?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ok, now all i need to find out is whether a screen protector is really necessary or not. anyone had one for a while somehow kept it scratchless without a protector?

Ok, I took the plunge.

So what are the best apps for this puppy?

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    If you run Serato, there's an app that lets you use the iPad as a Midi controller.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Apps I use the most:

TouchOSC (wireless MIDI)
    Bloomberg
    Netflix
    Pandora
    WSJ
    RDP (Windows Remote Desktop app)
    FeeddlerRSS (Syncs with Google Reader)
    Gilt
    GoodReader (PDF reader, let's you download PDFs which iPad Safari won't and also transfer PDFs wirelessly)

I think those are all free except TouchOSC and GoodReader. I haven't bothered Jailbreaking mine yet because for the most part everything I wanted was free. Should I?

This is supposed to be good but I haven't set it up yet. http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/

Brian said:

I haven't bothered Jailbreaking mine yet because for the most part everything I wanted was free. Should I?

Umm yes. When you jailbreak it, you can install Installous through Cydia. Which is an app store where everything is FREE

Brian said:
    Apps I use the most:

TouchOSC (wireless MIDI)

So what if you're at a spot that has no wifi?

No USB option?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8339.html

BTW, it's not EXACTLY wireless MIDI but anything that supports OSC, http://opensoundcontrol.org/

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Brian said:

I haven't bothered Jailbreaking mine yet because for the most part everything I wanted was free. Should I?

Umm yes. When you jailbreak it, you can install Installous through Cydia. Which is an app store where everything is FREE
    I'm familiar with it but I just haven't seen many paid apps that really interest me. Plus I would probably waste a lot more time on this thing than needed if I had that much access to apps :|

Installous = face melt.

Installous = face melt.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Ok, fine. I'll go see what all the hype is about....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Ok so either I'm dumb or 3.2.2 > jailbreaking

Brian said:
    Ok so either I'm dumb or 3.2.2 > jailbreaking

Huh? What possible advantage does iPad 3.2.2. offer right now over jailbreaking? It'd be one thing if 4.2 was finally out but even then, after years of jailbreaking my iPhone, I've always found that the advantages of having a JB device outweigh the inconvenience of not being able to upgrade right away.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Sorry, probably should have been more specific. The 3.2.2 update addressed some PDF exploit but also prevented Jailbreaking unless you backed up your SHSHDFS something blop. My fault for updating :|

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Posting from mine now....amazing format. I'm hooked.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    You aint shit unless you rock a lederhosen cover.

Real K??pfe Kennen Das Gesch??ft

http://www.stilsucht.de/09/2010/krachlederne-ipad-sleeves/

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Yup Installous is the sh#t....on another note here is a quote from the recommend a droid app post, "f you are an idiot, get the Iphone. If you can tie your shoes and don???t run to your mother when they come untied, get the Galaxy. I have a Captivate (at&ts; rebranding of the galaxy s). Apparently there is some type of default equalizer on the headphone output that makes it sound not so hot, but being an Android phone it didn???t take long for a fix that???s easy to do. After applying the fix I???m not hearing any differences between it and my ipod. I do a lot of listening with it.

If you use Itunes a lot (God save your soul) you will probably hate anything android. Good. "

spelunk said:

You jailbreak it? Seriously, between a few of the Cydia/Rock apps + Installous, the world is yours.

• wait, i'm not an iphone guy.. but with Installous you can get access to all iTunes sold apps for free? like an app soulseek? are there people cracking individual apps and then uploading them? where do they come from? mental.

selperfuge said:
    wait, i'm not an iphone guy.. but with Installous you can get access to all iTunes sold apps for free? like an app soulseek? are there people cracking individual apps and then uploading them? where do they come from? mental.

Many, not all.

Yes, but with direct downloading, not filesharing ala soulseek.

Presumably.

I don't know.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    spelunk said:

You jailbreak it? Seriously, between a few of the Cydia/Rock apps + Installous, the world is yours.

I jailbroke mine on your recommendation....thanks...I have been downloading stuff from cydia, rock.....themes, apps, you name it for the past few weeks. It is like i have a totally new phone!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    mannybolone said:
    spelunk said:

I jailbroke mine on your recommendation....thanks...I have been downloading stuff from cydia, rock.....themes, apps, you name it for the past few weeks. It is like i have a totally new phone!

Can someone walk me thru jailbreakin'?

I just copped a 16.

batmon said:
    sweatshop said:
    mannybolone said:
    spelunk said:

I just copped a 16.

Download and install GreenPoison. It's pretty simple:

http://greenpois0n.com/

RAJ said:
    batmon said:
    sweatshop said:
    mannybolone said:
    spelunk said:

I just copped a 16.

Download and install GreenPoison. It's pretty simple:

http://greenpois0n.com/

Thank you.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    just jailbroke my phone.
    Woweeee. Whole new world.

In Greenpoison they are asking me to press a SLEEP button. What is that?