Rap You're Liking

Comments

• OK Bada$$/Fraud track.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Why am I barely hearing this?! LOVE THIS JAM. The man can do no wrong in my eyes. Anybody know where I can buy this mp3?? Maybe there are some Japan Strutters that can help me out??

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yep, I'm actually digging some Euro rappers with this one...

• pimlicosquirrel said:

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Yep, I'm actually digging some Euro rappers with this one...

I was about to post "No Eligh?!" then lo and behold...

Don't be offended/defensive when I ask this, but why are these dudes still so low budget?? Dudes have been making much better looking videos with damn near nothing these days...

P.S. Dope that they included Olmeca on there.

As if I know.

Song is good to me though. That's why I posted it, not because of the "video".

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    The whole of Rosenberg's New York Renaissance mixtape is actually pretty good. I was expecting to only like a handful of tracks but was pleasantly surprised.

• cai said:
    The whole of Rosenberg's New York Renaissance mixtape is actually pretty good. I was expecting to only like a handful of tracks but was pleasantly surprised.

Saw this mentioned earlier in the week but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Surprised at a couple of MC's that aren't included but I guess they can't have everyone.

I could take or leave TQ, but Mystikal couldn't be any more on-fire (wait for it @ 3:33)...

From his Tripolar EP...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I actually like the beat of that new Tyler joint.

Kydd and Worldwide in Philly last night...

Screw York City tomorrow night...

Today in NYC, LOEG'z ran into their South Austin neighbor Gary Clark, Jr who is going to be on Letterman tonight...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    New Z-Ro is always welcome. Sounds promising, I have high high high hopes for what he's going to deliver now he's free from Rap-A-Lot.

First snippet of the follow up to RAP Music has been put up. Don't think I was quite as impressed by the first album as I know other people on here were but very interested to see how Run The Jewels turns out.

Dropped today...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Dropped today...

Listening to it now. Well up to snuff.

Second time in almost as many months I've heard someone flip that Cody Chesnutt joint. I think K.R.I.T. gets it over the Underachievers.

• Ghostface Killah And Adrian Younge, 'Twelve Reasons To Die'.

Best Wu-album since OBCL2

Free album stream:

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/08/176043665/first-listen-ghostface-killah-and-adrian-younge-twelve-reasons-to-die

Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Ghostface Killah And Adrian Younge, 'Twelve Reasons To Die'.

Best Wu-album since OBCL2

Damning with faint praise? Actually interested to hear this though so thanks for the link.

Approached the Krit with an open mind as always but just can't find anything about it that bangs. It's well produced, competently written and I think I even heard some proper hooks in there but it's also all so flat and boring.

I think it may be in part due to the effect Krit puts on his own voice, I know he's going for that laid back drawl but it always makes me feel like I'm listening to some late nineties Rawkus release, in a bad way. I've always been appreciative of his production skills but I even feel like this has been played out now, I knew what was going to happen with each track from the first few notes which is not necessarily a bad thing in principal but sadly in this case it was.

I'd probably be quite happy to have the whole thing play through as background music to something but I don't think I'd ever raise my head to ask what it was. Feels like coffee table rap to me.

Just my opinion though, not particularly looking to piss on anyone else's parade.

• It's nice to see new releases posted but I couldn't sit and listen to that Krit joint. I tend to need to hear some kind of soul/funk/jazz loops up in productions I like. Stuck in the 80's/90's possibly.

See that's strange to me as Krit's sound is much more traditionalist than a lot of the music that has been posted in this thread (though I've noticed that the BSM etc style beats have disappeared over the last ten pages or so).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Junior said:
    See that's strange to me as Krit's sound is much more traditionalist than a lot of the music that has been posted in this thread (though I've noticed that the BSM etc style beats have disappeared over the last ten pages or so).

Yeah, in the past people have been dismissive of KRIT on these pages precisely because he's a traditionalist. Like, if he's not really doing anything all that different from Ball & G, UGK, Face, OutKast, etc., then why choose his music over theirs? While I think that's a fair point, I don't think it's a valid enough reason for not bothering with him altogether. Individual issues of taste notwithstanding, his shit just sounds good. I enjoy listening to it, and I like how he seems committed to a very distinct aesthetic without allowing himself to become hemmed in by it. I don't really care that he isn't reinventing the wheel. He's got his own thing, and he clearly recognises and understands the way in which it fits in with an existing thing.

But to specifically address SP's point, KRIT loops up plenty of old shit; he just doesn't do it as an end in itself. Not trying to steer this always-cordial thread into a fractious debate on production values, but more often than not these days I find rigid traditionalism makes for boring music - for example, that recent Joey Bada$$ joint with Premo is the perfect example of something that's Unorthodox only in name.

• I agree the Bada$$/Primo track was disappointing. I'd like to hear them use Chuck Strangers more and I think they're at the stage now where they (Pro Era) should have outgrown making mixtapes rapping over beats made 10-20 years ago.

Point taken about Krit and at risk of incurring the wrath of many on here, I'm not as keen on Ridin' Dirty and Outkast as many others are.

Junior said:

Approached the Krit with an open mind as always but just can't find anything about it that bangs. It's well produced, competently written and I think I even heard some proper hooks in there but it's also all so flat and boring.

I think it may be in part due to the effect Krit puts on his own voice, I know he's going for that laid back drawl but it always makes me feel like I'm listening to some late nineties Rawkus release, in a bad way. I've always been appreciative of his production skills but I even feel like this has been played out now, I knew what was going to happen with each track from the first few notes which is not necessarily a bad thing in principal but sadly in this case it was.

I'd probably be quite happy to have the whole thing play through as background music to something but I don't think I'd ever raise my head to ask what it was. Feels like coffee table rap to me.

Just my opinion though, not particularly looking to piss on anyone else's parade.

WOW!

Just knowing some of the stuff you've been into over the years, this surprises me is all.

Krit's my favorite current rap artist BY FAR. I just listened through Krit Wuz Here last night for the first time in a while and my gawd, what's not to like? And really, everybody I know who isn't all...

SP 1200 said:
    I'm not as keen on Ridin' Dirty and Outkast as many others are.

they enthusiastically love Krit too.

*shrugs* Leave it to the Strut...lol.

HarveyCanal said:

Just knowing some of the stuff you've been into over the years, this surprises me is all.

Krit's my favorite current rap artist BY FAR. I just listened through Krit Wuz Here last night for the first time in a while and my gawd, what's not to like? And really, everybody I know who isn't all...

SP 1200 said:
    I'm not as keen on Ridin' Dirty and Outkast as many others are.

they enthusiastically love Krit too.

*shrugs* Leave it to the Strut...lol.

Yeah without milking my personal plight, believe me, no one's more surprised at this than me. I loved/still love Krit Wuz Here both regular and C&S and shared it with anyone I knew who may have had even a passing interest in it. Most loved it as much as me.

I'm not exactly sure what changed between that release and what's come after but it's just not clicking for me at all. I certainly don't hate the guy or question his skills, I just don't get enjoyment from his newer releases. I realise this is a neutral thread and will lay off the rants but it was borne out of frustration more than anything else that I'm not hearing what people like yourself with similar tastes and a love of all things UGK are hearing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've just been going back and forth between Starlito and Pepper Boy for weeks.
    Pepper Boy's rapping will either work for you or it won't.

I'll put this one up, because it was the last thing I heard before I got into work - Nitetime and P.T.S. are on rotation, too.

Y'all need to reassess because this shit is just naaasty...