Republicans FTLose.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    We have something like that in the UK, but we were always bigger Commies than you guys anyway.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    How do you folks feel about now being forced to purchase Health Insurance?

Because if I understand this Bill correctly that is exactly what will happen.

Of course they are doing this under the guise of making said Health Insurance more affordable, but affordable is a relative term.

Right now my Health Insurance is "affordable" to me.

I am 100% behind mandatory purchase of Health Insurance.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I am 100% behind mandatory purchase of Health Insurance.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My taxes also pay for the things you mentioned, i put plenty of money back into the economy. I'm tired of seeing people getting paid for doing nothing all day.

what about people with disabilities who are unable to work? i suppose they should just shrivel up ad die.
    Only the people who care should pay for that.

• My taxes also pay for the things you mentioned, i put plenty of money back into the economy. I'm tired of seeing people getting paid for doing nothing all day.

what about people with disabilities who are unable to work? i suppose they should just shrivel up ad die.

I've never really been able to figure out if this is just low rent interwebs performance art, or if you're just a douchebag...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    How do you folks feel about now being forced to purchase Health Insurance?

Because if I understand this Bill correctly that is exactly what will happen.

probably the same way people feel about being 'forced' to pay for car insurance, even though they have never been in an accident before and they are such a good drivers.

If our country hasn't made it clear yet, no one wants to pay for services but everyone wants them available if necessary. I am chalking it up to living in a complex world.

My taxes also pay for the things you mentioned, i put plenty of money back into the economy. I'm tired of seeing people getting paid for doing nothing all day.

I've never really been able to figure out if this is just low rent interwebs performance art, or if you're just a douchebag...
    I'm convinced that a sufficient number of people care enough to pay extra to cover those folks.

If our country hasn't made it clear yet, no one wants to pay for services but everyone wants them available if necessary. I am chalking it up to living in an unrealistic country.

Nice....

If you refuse to buy health insurance, you will be fined on a sliding scale that amounts to 2% of your AGI. So if you make $100,000 a year, you could be fined $2,000 for "refusing" to buy insurance.

You cannot buy a catastrophic policy any more. The "cheapest" acceptable policy will cost somewhere around $15,000 for a single person, and over $20,000 for a family. This is, for most people, more than five times the maximum possible fine - each and every year. The law makes it effectively impossible to maintain an existing catastrophic policy as they "renew" every year, and should any change be made you are then forced to buy something "acceptable" in the law (or pay the fine.)

When the "pre-existing condition" bar comes down you cannot be charged more or denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

I fully expect 20-50% premium increases immediately, and for the next three years sequentially, in all existing policies. This is precisely what the banks did in front of the CARD act becoming effective, and it will happen here as well. That is the cause of the short-term rocket shot in the health-related stocks this morning.

In addition the capital gains tax changes will do severe damage to capital formation immediately, and these changes will become especially severe starting in 2014. The market will anticipate these changes and react accordingly, although you certainly wouldn't know it today.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The "cheapest" acceptable policy will cost somewhere around $15,000 for a single person, and over $20,000 for a family.

Where are you getting this figure from?

I have a decent level of coverage, and the total, including my employer paying half
    of the weekly amount, comes to around $5000 annually.

• Yeah, 15k for a single person is an absurd number, and should be ignored immediately.

The "cheapest" acceptable policy will cost somewhere around $15,000 for a single person, and over $20,000 for a family.

Where are you getting this figure from?

I have a decent level of coverage, and the total, including my employer paying half
    of the weekly amount, comes to around $5000 annually.

All I did was c&p the article Rey posted.

And yeah, I pay half of what they state it will cost for a family.

The real humorous thing is how the hell will they enforce mandatory insurance?

They haven't been able to do it with auto insurance.

That entire column made no sense.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

In MA, where we already have mandatory health insurance, you need to provide proof of insurance on your taxes or you're penalized on the return.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    If only people cared about their own health as much as they care about health care.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    any indications on what will be the cheapest plan available?

In MA, where we already have mandatory health insurance, you need to provide proof of insurance on your taxes or you're penalized on the return.

Does this encourage people to not file taxes??

Auto insurance is mandatory too but 25% of the drivers in Texas don't have any.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Nice....

If you refuse to buy health insurance, you will be fined on a sliding scale that amounts to 2% of your AGI. So if you make $100,000 a year, you could be fined $2,000 for "refusing" to buy insurance.

No.

In 2014 it's 1% of income or $95; whichever is greater. Then it rises and maxes it out at 2.5% of income, but not more than $2,085 for a family.

The only reason there is a penalty at all is because the GOP would not allow a public option. Since we are left with private insurers, the only way to keep rates down is to make sure that the healthy are mandated to buy insurance. Young, healthy people would not sign up if there wasn't a mandate. Accordingly, you'd have a disproportionate amount of sick people getting insurance. The effect would be that everyone's rates would be raised.

If only people cared about their own health as much as they care about health care.

All of the "man on the street" clips I saw this morning on the news featured terribly obese people talking about how they were happy with their health(care).

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    any indications on what will be the cheapest plan available?

i believe it will vary state to state, but that the federal subsidies will give everyone the same tax credits if you qualify based on need.

People with incomes up to 4 times the poverty level ($88 k) will get some form of tax credit. If you are at the top of that scale, you will have to pay close to 10% max on health care. If you are making closer to 35k a year, you will only pay around 2-4% on healthcare. Anything near the poverty line will be medicaid territory.

• mandatory insurance is necessary if you can't be denied for pre-existing conditions. If it is mandatory, you can't just wait until you get sick, get into a car accident, etc to buy into the system.

And taxes will only go up for those making $200,000 or more or families making $250,000 or more. And they will only go up 1 percent.

I can live with all of that.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    And taxes will only go up for those making $200,000 or more or families making $250,000 or more. And they will only go up 1 percent.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that this will be the case. Future congresses can increase this by any amount they want to/can get away with, and on any income range they feel like.

mandatory insurance is necessary if you can't be denied for pre-existing conditions. If it is mandatory, you can't just wait until you get sick, get into a car accident, etc to buy into the system.
    Still, the penalty for not buying into the system has to be sufficiently high or many people WILL wait until they are sick to buy insurance.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-02/ciot-csf022310.php

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    mandatory insurance is necessary if you can't be denied for pre-existing conditions. If it is mandatory, you can't just wait until you get sick, get into a car accident, etc to buy into the system.
    Still, the penalty for not buying into the system has to be sufficiently high or many people WILL wait until they are sick to buy insurance.

This is going to become a pretty key issue. The penalty for not buying in doesn't seem sufficiently high to force people to do so.

I think people (not necessarily here, but the public at large) are mistakenly assuming this fixes health care. It doesn't. This tries at least to make sure that more people have access to coverage but the trying to tamp down the costs of health care are an entire beast altogether.

Forget the obese - people need to raise questions about excessive testing and if we really want to get down to it, we also need to ask how much end of life care is really justifiable. Bring back the death panels!

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts

?

• F*ck the world, don't ask me for shit
    And everything you get ya gotta work hard for it

- Biggie

damm that is a funny ass picture

?
    Well, now we have a way to test for who really cares, aka who should rightfully be paying.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I don't get how people are fine paying ridiculous amounts of money to fund military actions they don't believe in yet scream murder if there is any possible social good to come out of a government program.

Hey,

The simple answer is that the GOP and other pundits don't like the fact that public healthcare will benefit "those people" [insert names of disparaged groups that they don't like and find unworthy]. "Those people" don't deserve help because they're lazy, have bad habits, etc., etc. The arguments against the public healthcare option sound eerily like the language being thrown about by some in this thread. Hmmmmmm...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak