TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    gwpaperstacks said:
    please don't kick me a week from the end.

Depending upon how your season goes, you might be thankful.

I had to smile when I read this about the manager of newly-promoted Blackpool

Ian Holloway is pinning his hopes on tiki-taka. Bereft of resources in a Premier League of multi-millionaires, the Blackpool manager is determined to adopt the short-passing World Cup-winning Spanish playing style he thinks will enable his promoted team to confound expectation ??? and precedent.

"After watching the World Cup I've realised we need to get more like Spain," said Holloway. "You have to caress the ball, you've got to love it. We need more tiki-taka."

So having watched Spain a few months ago, he reckons he's going to have his side playing high-risk, highly-technical, possession football that only one club, and possibly two countries on the planet, can produce, in his first season in the Premier League.

Apparently he's only got 17 players at the moment.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am saying
    nani and valencia will have great seasons
    hernandez and rooney will close shit out
    berbz will be useful

on the other hand i hope chelsea get their act together cause liverpool/arsenal won't fuck around
    the PL will kill it this year

i am loathing la liga...real/barca will be cool to watch but valencia got plundered and sevilla will stay the same=atletico madrid semi-mediocrity

So Martin O'Neill has just resigned from Aston Villa.

Pissed-off that they're selling Milner & Ashley Young, and I guess not spending any of the cash to get replacements in?

Or is Lord Purple Nose about to have a nasty accident?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Heh. Beat me to it.

Get in. %-P

b/w

Childish? Moi?

This as my opportunity to retract all my predictions of a good season at Villa.

I was just wondering if, considering this managerial parting doesn't look like the result of last season's results, this could be one of the fastest exits ever? How many days until the season starts?

He won't be short of job opportunities though, I imagine there will be good odds going as to where he ends up BEFORE the season starts.

Martin O'Neill has resigned as Aston Villa manager with immediate effect, the club have announced.

Kevin MacDonald, the reserve team manager, takes over as caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday.

O'Neill said on the Villa website: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.

"I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short term with regard to the handover of my duties."

Paul Faulkner, Villa's chief executive, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    it's a real shame for villa..
    blackpool on the other hand, if they are smart,
    will get the premier league paper, get relegated and dominate under, rinse repeat

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Yo folls

Not been on in a minute...i say a minute its more like 3 months!

Can some one hook me up with the fantasy league particulars please? Im eyeing another mid table finish. Thanks.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I see Eriksson has been linked with the position, quelle surprise. Still seems a bit of an odd decision by O'Neill to me. Obviously if they were going to get rid of Young as well as Milner then it would pretty much defang them but can't believe that no money was available and he didn't seem interested in picking up bargains such as Petrov. Reeks of there being more to this story than meets the eye.

ZomB said:
    Yo folls

Not been on in a minute...i say a minute its more like 3 months!

Can some one hook me up with the fantasy league particulars please? Im eyeing another mid table finish. Thanks.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
    League code: 329676-85193

Last place is mine I tells ya!

• i just joined the league, so that'll keep you all off the bottom for a few weeks

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Junior said:
    Reeks of there being more to this story than meets the eye.

An early dart would certainly spare him the embarrassment of failing to take Villa further, leaving intact the myth of O'Neill being a great manager, despite having won less at club level in the English game than Gianluca Vialli.

LOL I was wondering if you were going to fancy putting the boot in here. In O'Neills case I find it impossible to separate the man from his achievements so I look on his record favourably but would be very interested to see what he does at whichever club he turns up at, particularly if it offers him the opportunity to build a team from relative scratch.

^^^ why he should go to Man U next season imo.

I don't really think he was as bad on the transfer market as is being made out. He rebuilt the squad completely, the starting XI were all decent purchases although everyone on the bench was shit.

I can't blame him for quitting if the ambition changed from Champions League to being Man City's feeder club. Lerner's millions certainly didn't go amiss but I wouldn't say that Martin just pissed it up the wall.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Shame to see him go, he would have been a good move for Liverpool if this had happened earlier. He was also amusingly miserable as the foil to Alan Hansen's cliche-laden gushing world cup analysis.

No seats on the Prem bus at the mo... And he would want to go somewhere with something other than moths in the wallet.

Was loving this defender's reaction to a Michael Laudrup dummy @ 3:42. Pure head-back, wtf he's-done-me-AGAIN vibes:

J i m s t e r said:
    He was also amusingly miserable as the foil to Alan Hansen's cliche-laden gushing world cup analysis.

O'Neill going back on MOTD has to be the only bright side to this really.

@ pcmr

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool are set for a bright new era under Roy Hodgson after the "horror" of last season ??? and claims that the new signing Joe Cole is better than Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

Duderonomy said:
    Was loving this defender's reaction to a Michael Laudrup dummy @ 3:42. Pure head-back, wtf he's-done-me-AGAIN vibes:

Love it. I'd forgotten how good he was. Almost as good as Joe Cole?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/148581/Football-stars-hooked-on-video-games/

FOOTBALL STARS HOOKED ON VIDEO GAMES

FOOTBALL stars are so addicted to video games they are wrecking their performances, it was claimed.

They stay up into the early hours playing the night before important matches.

And sports psychotherapist Steve Pope says Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal stars have all had problems.

Joe Cole, 28, David James, 40, and Cesc Fabregas, 23, have admitted in the past to spending hours glued to their consoles.

But there is no indication they are among those receiving help or that their game has suffered.

Mr Pope said: ???I have worked with players in the top four clubs of the Premier League, two Championship clubs and my local side, Fleetwood Town.

???We were travelling with one player who had played a video game for seven hours on the coach. He hadn???t taken any fluids on board and hadn???t eaten.

???He???d then gone to his room and missed the Friday evening talk and meal. They all seem to love Modern Warfare 2.???

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    carvalho to real madrid
    hurts chelsea and helps real a whole lot (reunited with mourinho)
    why must i cry

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Good. Fuck Barca.

In case you missed it.

Duderonomy said:
    @ pcmr

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool are set for a bright new era under Roy Hodgson after the "horror" of last season ??? and claims that the new signing Joe Cole is better than Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

Thoughts?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Messi is the go to player for excessive flattery and instant hyperbole. It's what those in the know refer to as 'talking bollocks'.

Messi is a massive fan of Kasabian, Oasis and Theo Walcott.

I've always rated Cole; no doubt a skilled player. But the nagging question regarding this Gerrard statement would be:

Why would a succession of Chelsea managers, all who know a lot more about football than me or, I suspect, Stevie G, NOT start Cole week-in, week-out if he was indeed better than der Messmeister?

Of course I have no doubt whatsoever that Cole will get his due props when they decide who wins the World Cup by who does tricks with golf balls the best.

Until then...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I seem to remember O'Neill saying something similar about Ashley Young. And Arsene about van Persie.

Junior said:
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/148581/Football-stars-hooked-on-video-games/

FOOTBALL STARS HOOKED ON VIDEO GAMES

FOOTBALL stars are so addicted to video games they are wrecking their performances, it was claimed.

So I suppose you're a football star then Junior?