TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Paul said:
    Alex has been deploying Carrick and Scholes as the ball-playing midfielders as neither can really defend. Fletcher plays a more box-to-box role. Anderson is an attacking midfielder despite his lack of goals. Gibson is being used in a more advanced role cos his ability from range. Cleverley got 11 goals in 33 games at Watford last season (most likely on loan again this season though).

I didn't think Carrick even played for ManU any more, and when he did I thought of him as a holding player. Scholes is just too old to be relied upon now. Anderson doesn't score and doesn't create much, so I've never thought of him as an attacking mid. Gibson seems a little one dimensional but I'm sure he's capable in areas other than as a long range option.

Fergie definitely likes to build from the back, defence first then attack. Arsene is the opposite.

Arsenal attacking midfielders:
    Cesc F??bregas, Tom???? Rosick??, Samir Nasri, Den??lson, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Andrei Arshavin, Emmanuel Ebou??, Abou Diaby, Kieran Gibbs, Armand Traor??, Henri Lansbury, Mark Randall, Craig Eastmond, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Gavin Hoyte, Sanchez Watt.

Arsenal defensive midfielders:
    Alex Song, Emmanuel Frimpong.

(Even our back four are probably happier in midfield.)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So MUST are properly on my case about signing up for full membership to fight the fight against the evil American Gnomes. They're asking for 15 quid a year and the following in return:

* the 2010-11 collectible MUST membership certificate (this year's will have a photograph of the Stretford End during the Champions League match vs. AC Milan)
    * the 2010-11 collectible MUST membership badge
    * a collectible badge featuring Reds Legend Eric Cantona and the famous quote from Ken Loach's film "Looking For Eric."
    * print editions of MUST Read our member newsletter
    * ??1 in withdrawable share capital

https://www.joinmust.org/join/benefits.php

Surely I would be a fool not to take this up.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I would sign up but I just spent 55 quid on the new home kit with Number 10 ROONEY on the back.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Srs doe, I've never, as an adult, worn a footy shirt other than to play footy in. It's OK for kids, but NAGL for grown-ups*. I associate the look with poorly-executed tatts, excess gold, and petty theft.

AM I A SNOB?

* Regardless of club.

Short sleeved I assume?

I must say that it's a big improvement over last year's kit, probably one of the nicest we've had in a while.

I'm considering forking out for Everton's away strip just to show solidarity with a club who have taken my FPL kit from 2009/10 as inspiration.

I associate my wearing of football shirts with my parents constant refusal as a child. (like all my problems)

It's more for watching the early kick-off on a Sunday around the house rather than 'reppin' my city' down the local.

J i m s t e r said:
    Srs doe, I've never, as an adult, worn a footy shirt other than to play footy in. It's OK for kids, but NAGL for grown-ups*. I associate the look with poorly-executed tatts, excess gold, and petty theft.

AM I A SNOB?

* Regardless of club.

I can't really comment as the last one I wore had Sharp on the front and looked like this:

I think these days it has less of a beer belly culture about it but I'm just too tight to spend that kind of money on it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Junior said:

* the 2010-11 collectible MUST membership certificate (this year's will have a photograph of the Stretford End during the Champions League match vs. AC Milan)
    * the 2010-11 collectible MUST membership badge
    * a collectible badge featuring Reds Legend Eric Cantona and the famous quote from Ken Loach's film "Looking For Eric."

Although "collectable" is the spelling listed first for the adjective by the Oxford English Dictionary and is standard spelling in British English, the dictionary observes that the "-ible" form is also valid, and has come to be common spelling in the United States.

First they steal your club, then they steal your language. Shameful.

:shut:

• J i m s t e r said:

AM I A SNOB?

* Regardless of club.

I've never bought a shirt for myself, but have been given a few as presents.

When I was travelling last year my Arsenal away shirt brought me nothing but good luck; if I was hitchiking it was almost guaranteed that someone would stop (that said, I wasn't travelling in a place where wearing a football shirt was synonymous with casual violence and lager - that and the fact that Arsenal are a team beloved by all).

neil_something said:
    and the fact that Arsenal are a team beloved by all

QFT.

Hell what's not to love about Arsenal these days? After all they play pretty football, encourage youth talent and don't do anything inconvenient like get in the way of a real contender's chase for the premier league title. :cheese:

Junior said:
    a real contender

So are you lot and Liverpool fans gonna start erecting banners about how many seasons you were 'real contenders' from now on?

Bendtner mate. He will deliver the goods. Maybe not this year, but soon.

Meanwhile in other news

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

AM I A SNOB?

* Regardless of club.

Heh. Quite possibly.

Jokes aside, though, people can wear what they want - it doesn't make any difference to me. Certainly, if were to wear a football shirt for purposes unrelated to kickabouts and that, I'd probably choose the strip of a fairly obscure side from another country, as in that brief late-80s trend for wearing vintage shirts in the colours of Brasileir??o sides like Fluminense and Palmeiras. although that can bring its own problems.

On my infrequent late-90s visits to Anfield, I'd occasionally wear a Slavia Prague bobble-hat, partly out of tribute to Paddy Berger and partly because it was red and white. A few winters ago, I noticed I'd get the odd funny look from people if I wore it out and about. It occured to me that, post-Eastern Bloc, club colours might have certain political connotations in that part of the world, but a bit of research revealed that I was probably just getting the evil eye off Sparta fans.

Tell you what I can't figure out, though - wearing football shirts to go and watch the match in the pub. I can kind of understand it as part of the matchday ritual if you're going to an actual game, but there's something odd about adopting that ritual when all you're doing is going to the boozer.

Srs doe, I've never, as an adult, worn a footy shirt other than to play footy in [...] I associate the look with poorly-executed tatts, excess gold, and petty theft.

Today's footballers have a lot to answer for...

Duderonomy said:

This joke is awesome, made all the better by Clement's delivery.

DocMcCoy said:
    I'd probably choose the strip of a fairly obscure side from another country

There was one in the gang who had Scalextric
    And because of that he thought he was better than you
    Everyday after school you would go round there to play it
    Hoping to compete for some kind of championship
    But it always took about fifteen billion hours to set the track up
    And even when you did the thing never seemed to work

It was a dodgy transformer again and again
    A dodgy transformer again and again
    It was a dodgy transformer again and again
    A dodgy transformer that cost three pound ten

So he'd send his doting mother up the stairs with the stepladders
    To get the Subbuteo out of the loft
    He had all the accessories required for that big match atmosphere
    The crowd and the dugout and the floodlights too
    You'd always get palmed off with a headless centre forward
    And a goalkeeper with no arms and a face like his

And he'd managed to get hold of a Dukla Prague away kit
    'cause his uncle owned a sports shop and he'd kept it to one side
    And after only five minutes you'd be down to ten men
    'cause he'd sent off your right back for taking the base from under his left winger
    And come to half time you were losing four-nil
    Each and every goal a hotly disputed penalty
    So you'd smash up the floodlights and the match was abandoned
    And the dog would bark and you'd be banned from his house
    And your travelling army of synthetic supporters
    Would be taken away from you and thrown in the bin

Now he's working in a job with a future
    He hands me my giro every two weeks
    And me I'm on the lookout for a proper transformer .....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    , I'd probably choose the strip of a fairly obscure side from another country, .

Wrexham?

Great finish but think this was probably my pick of the bunch

Paul said:

Fletcher is above the law.

Junior said:
    Great finish but think this was probably my pick of the bunch

@17 seconds, John O'Shea goes for a half-hearted Ferdinand.

Just watched it in pause mode and the boy is definitely in line with the last defender when the ball is played. Exceptional pace + actual ability to finish = Very excited about this season.

Yeah, good thing he doesn't play for Arsenal, otherwise he'd get targetted for a leg-breaker and you'd be reduced to speculating about how you guys could've been contenders.

No sour grapes here guv!

:down:

Yeah, :pasue: mode VINDICATED. I gracefully concede the point. Well-taken and nicely done.

Reminds me of Balotelli ;)

Pls to be checkful of the Cruyffmeg @ 1:00...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ^^^^The new Robiniho^^^^

Paul said:

The Cleverly goal is a beauty though.

• goals in exhibition matches are worthless.

you might as well be watching a nike advert.

and who exactly are the MLS all-stars...?

See, that's not the first time I've seen Vela do a beautiful chipped finish. If he'd remembered it in the pre WC friendly he could have saved a lot of misguided self belief in the worth of our team of twats.

Balotelli is full of promise so be interesting to see how he fits in or doesn't. Does this spell the end for Adebayor though? I see Hughes has gone to Fulham so would expect some big signings. And De La Cruz.

neil_something said:
    goals in exhibition matches are worthless.

you might as well be watching a nike advert.

and who exactly are the MLS all-stars...?

2005 MLS All Stars 4???1 England Fulham Columbus Crew Stadium Columbus, Ohio 23,309^
    2006 MLS All Stars 1???0 England Chelsea Toyota Park Bridgeview, Illinois 21,210^
    2007 MLS All Stars 2???0 Scotland Celtic Dick's Sporting Goods Park Commerce City, Colorado 18,661^[6]
    2008 MLS All Stars 3???2 England West Ham United BMO Field Toronto, Ontario 20,844^
    2009 MLS All Stars 1???1* England Everton Rio Tinto Stadium Sandy, Utah 20,124^
    2010 MLS All Stars 2???5 England Manchester United Reliant Stadium Houston, Texas 70,728^

Junior said:
    See, that's not the first time I've seen Vela do a beautiful chipped finish. If he'd remembered it in the pre WC friendly he could have saved a lot of misguided self belief in the worth of our team of twats.

Balotelli is full of promise so be interesting to see how he fits in or doesn't. Does this spell the end for Adebayor though? I see Hughes has gone to Fulham so would expect some big signings. And De La Cruz.

I could see Bellers and Crocky Santa Bruise going to Fulham for a steal. Yozzer their bezzie mate.