Wild Beasts 'Two Dancers'
    Kit Downes Trio ???Golden???
    Laura Marling 'I Speak Because I Can'
    Dizzee Rascal 'Tongue N??? Cheek'
    Foals 'Total Life Forever'
    I Am Kloot 'Sky At Night'
    The xx 'xx'

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So, without wanting to resurrect the Speech Debelle debate, I see that this year's nominations for the Mercury Prize are up (with odds):

Dizzee Rascal ??? Tongue N' Cheek (4/1)
    The xx ??? xx (4/1)
    Paul Weller ??? Wake Up the Nation (6/1)
    Corinne Bailey Rae ??? The Sea (6/1)
    Mumford and Sons ??? Sigh No More (6/1)
    Laura Marling ??? I Speak Because I Can (6/1)
    Foals ??? Total Life Forever (8/1)
    Wild Beasts ??? Two Dancers (8/1)
    Biffy Clyro ??? Only Revolutions (8/1)
    Villagers ??? Becoming a Jackal (10/1)
    Kit Downes Trio ??? Golden (10/1)
    I Am Kloot ??? Sky at Night (10/1)

Admittedly I've only heard four of the list but surely the inclusion of Rascal's shitstain on the face of music's recent album confirms once and for all that this prize is now entirely worthless. Also, Biffy fucking Clyroe?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    lolz

FOUR!? bloody hell.

I'd like to say zero but I guess a brief exposure of the Rascal album constitutes a listen.

Still think N-Dubz should have won it. Speech Debelle is never gonna headline a stage at Glastonbury.

Also, who listens to Mumford & Sons? worst shit ever.

LOL I didn't see your post, beaten by a minute.

I haven't actually sat down and listened to any of them carefully but, thanks to the wonder of Spotify, clicked through The xx, Mumford and Sons and Laura Marling off the back of rave reviews at the time. None of them convinced me to give them a proper listen unless I wanted to follow the dream of writing for Pitchfork. I also think I managed to click to the end of the Rascal album though in truth I may have given up around two thirds through.

While it's undoubtedly the greatest contribution to music this year. N-Dubz are bigger than any award. I also think their cross genre blends would have made them hard to classify as they cover everything from dance, to rap, to soul, to the free jazz stylings of Dappy's vocals.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

money's too tight

b-dum tish.

N-Dubz. It's a travesty that they didn't get the nomination with all of the money that must have been spent pimping the useless fuckers on any show that would have them, but to I can't believe the panel would be so snotty as to hold something like Dappy's text-gate against them when there's so many better reasons.

I assume this is about textgate?

Also, prob one for Junior, is Inception worth seeing without spoilers? (don't want to check that thread)

Was underwhelmed with DiCaprio in Shutter Island.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You diiss the Dappy you diss yourself.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Paul said:
    I'd like to say zero but I guess a brief exposure of the Rascal album constitutes a listen.

THIS. Srs doe, the rest are a complete scrabble hand to me. McCoy called it right last year. Doc, whatcha got?

I would do my homework but Spotify/streaming banned at work - Are any of these going to float my boat*? I could skank them off a dodgy blog but I suspect 90% of the bandwidth and time taken to do so will be wasteful.

*Pre-requisites for flotation:
    Chords
    Bassline
    Vocals not sounding like a dispute outside a chippy.

Duderonomy said:
    Also, prob one for Junior, is Inception worth seeing without spoilers? (don't want to check that thread)

Was underwhelmed with DiCaprio in Shutter Island.

Haven't seen it yet so thought I'd try and get some feedback before that thread turned spoiler heavy. Planning to go this week though whether that idea comes to fruition depends greatly on resisting the temptations of the local . Will report back on impressions if I do go. Pre viewing impressions are that it will be spectacular, incredibly serious, and overlong.

I have to confess to having little love for DiCaprio, most of the time he comes across as a boy who thinks that grimacing a lot will make him look more grown up. God knows what Scorcese sees in him (apart from guaranteed green lights). I did have a lot of love for his accent in Blood Diamonds doh, that was a keeper.

Junior said:
    DiCaprio

Thought he was good in "Catch Me If You Can". Wanted to hatt it, but in the end, turned out alright. And IIRC he dumped that Gisele supermodel.

BALLS OF BRASS.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    All,

I am vaguely aware of N-Dubs and their valuable addition to the Bri'ish musical cannon, yet i must admit, my N-Dubz knowledge is weak, can someone please provide suitably facemelting vieo evidence of EnDubbs or a link or two so i can relate.

cheerio.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Paul said:
    That time of year already?

My ill-informed disconnected opinion on it..

Biffy Clyro - some emo rock type thing right?
    Villages - kinda like an Irish Elliott Smith impersonator
    C B-R - haven't heard it.. but she aight. you might like this Jimster.
    Mumford & Sons - kitch indie cuntry warblers
    Paul Weller - obligatory nod to an old dude
    Wild Beasts - indie band that kinda sounds like several other indie bands and a bit of Arthur Russell
    Kit Downes Trio - I guessing by the presence of TRIO in their name, they're obligatory jazz nod
    Laura Marling - although I don't actually own any of her music, I have a soft spot for her tender folk stylings.
    Dizzee - he's kinda like the Lenny Henry of Uk rap.
    Foals - a fine collection of haircuts
    I Am Kloot - more jingle jangle indie parp
    The xx - kinda interesting, un-cliched. i might even like them. Fuck it, they're my favourite by a long shot.

This is possibly my most memorable contribution to Soulstrut.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The xx

an original

a cover

a remix

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Paul said:

This is possibly my most memorable contribution to Soulstrut.

wicked.

innit

J i m s t e r said:
    Junior said:
    DiCaprio

Thought he was good in "Catch Me If You Can". Wanted to hatt it, but in the end, turned out alright. And IIRC he dumped that Gisele supermodel.

BALLS OF BRASS.

Yeah without derailing this thread too far from it's purpose in life I also thought he was decent in Catch Me If You Can but mainly because the boy who never grew up suited him down to a tee. I actually thought he was ok in The Departed though in retrospect this was just my first introduction to Adult Leo (No-Duder) acting.

On the subject of The Greatest Living British Band, embedding's disabled but here's a link through to the highly insightful reality show they are currently starring in which helps explain how hard it is being a genius in today's music scene.

I've got Spotify loaded up to listen to the other entrants to the Mercury (skipping Weller obviously) but Moke's analysis has kind of made it a worthless exercise.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    http://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/54bnlHFO6Wi6cmB1PQdDCv

The betting suggests it's a fairly safe list this year. If I was inclined to bet, I'd go for Mumford & Sons, The XX or Laura Marling. After correctly predicting last year's winner*, as well as the winner of both the World Cup and Euro 2008, perhaps I ought to have a flutter and see how strong my instincts are.

Out of the ones I've heard, the Weller and Corinne Bailey Rae albums are my personal favourites. I'd like to see Weller win it purely because of the way he's managed to combine orneriness and a genuine sense of musical adventure on his last couple of albums. I'd like to think that might count for something here. The CBR album is, typically, underrated and/or openly derided (in the latter case, usually by people who haven't heard it), but it's a very good record that deserves a fairer shake than it's had. She was an eye-opener at the recent Stevie gig at Hyde Park, I can tell you that much. The I Am Kloot album's good too, and they're another outfit who have the potential to go beyond the minor cult status they've enjoyed - some consistently good songwriting on their records.

Out of the ones I haven't heard, I'm leaning towards the Villagers, mainly because I liked the single, and I always check out the Token Jazz Album as a matter of course. As for Mumford & Sons, I've been mostly struck by how quickly they've caught on with a more mainstream pop crowd that might have been listening to an act like Travis ten years ago. Very popular with Tha Laydeez as well, from what I can establish.

* I stand by everything I said about that record, btw, even if it didn't sell a tap and she turned out to be a diva-in-waiting who managed to piss off her label and everyone who'd worked for and with her within months of winning the damn thing.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    After taking on a former member of Simply Red as part of the backroom staff yesterday, I see today that we've signed Danny Wilson. I fully expect Jimmy The Hoover to be unveiled as the club's new owner before the week is out.

Lampard. Line. No goal.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    XX to win. music is great, plus jamie is a down to earth super nice dude.

• XX is the only one I own (and have properly heard) so I'd go for that.

Don't really care though.

More importantly, has anyone set up the Soulstrut league yet: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Good to know that I'm not the only one who's hungry for next season on the Fantasy League, I've already prepared a draft version of my squad.

I'm sure Jimster will renew the old one in good time.

Paul said:
    Good to know that I'm not the only one who's hungry for next season on the Fantasy League, I've already prepared a draft version of my squad.

I'm sure Jimster will renew the old one in good time.

329676-85193

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's up. I was added automatically.

I think I'm suffering from FFF (fantasy football fatigue) though. That WC one just annoyed me, and I felt a slight chill when I logged on to the FPL site just now. It just seems like a real chore at the moment, and I swear they must have lowered the money, cause picking a quality side was a real struggle.

Please to rep your team here doe, no anonymous glory-hunters / Chinese gambling-syndicate time-machine merchants por favor...

I'll mail the one SKEL too.

Okem said:
    picking a quality side was a real struggle.

Seems to get harder every year :pasue:

Mine is auto-gen for the moment, need a good hour or so to pore over the fixtures and pick some work-shy show-ponies who were bought off the back of YouTube tribute clips.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Whist we're talking football, how about the obligatory season predictions..

PL Winner:
    PL top 4:
    Relegated:
    Surprise team:
    Top Scorer:
    Surprise player:
    Biggest flop:
    First manager to get sacked:
    CL winner:
    La Liga winner:
    Serie A winner:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    PL Winner: Arsenal
    PL top 4: Chelski, ManU, Citeh
    Relegated: Blackpool Wigan ??
    Surprise team: Everton (push for top 4)
    Top Scorer: Drogba
    Surprise player: Wilshire
    Biggest flop: any one of Citeh's defensive midfielders / James Milner (if he leaves VIlla)
    First manager to get sacked: Mancini (if he looses those tough opening fixtures after spending 100 mill.)
    CL winner: Ze Germans
    La Liga winner: Real
    Serie A winner: Inter

PL Winner: Un*ted

PL top 4: Un*ted, Chelski, LFC, CITEH

Relegated: Blackpool West Brom Newcastle. Sad about Blackpool as it's a good day out.

Surprise team: LFC all fired up like Pat Benatar.

Top Scorer: Roonaldo :(

Surprise player: Joe Cole Unleashed

Biggest flop: City's most expensive signing :(

First manager to get sacked: Mancini

CL winner: Real

La Liga winner: Real

Serie A winner: Inter