SC GOV WTF?

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

excruciating as it was to listen to (and for him to give i imagine)my perception is that this was an individual who was truly conflicted, regretful and sincere in his statement.

i don't think anyone is arguing that he is not sorry, sad and sincere about being sorry and sad. however, was the statement/press conference sincere? NO. his family doesn't need a public discussion about how he humiliated them. this was an effort to make himself look good...or less bad. the sincere move would be for him to save his wife and kids further humiliation. i don't see how this press conference could be seen as increasing the odds of that.

• Our Lt. Governor (Andre Bauer) is shady as hell, too (he's already been the subject of several scandals and I wouldn't be surprised if more surface soon). This state is (and always has been) crooked as hell. The 'good ol' boy' network in S.C. has always been and continues to be plentiful and strong.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I was just talking to my wife about this: when's the last time there was any good news out of South Carolina? It seems like it's been an unbroken stream of Susan Smith and The Citadel and the NAACP boycott and shit like this.

• Don't forget Bob Jones

• James, aren't you from down here or lived down here at some point? I remember talked to someone on here through PM years ago about record spots in Greenville..maybe it was someone else, though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here's what you say in his situation:

"I have been derelict in my duties as governor. I abandoned my post, leaving the country without notifying my second. I am now resigning. By the way, I also had an affair. Since my infidelity is a private matter, I ask that you respect my privacy and that of my family."

Anything more is some combination of vanity and political positioning. This display was particularly grotesque and self-indulgent. It demonstrates a lack of respect for his office, for the intelligence of the voters and for his own family.

That would be nice.

The press conference (I mean presser) was not called so he could apologize to his family or staff or friends.
    That is much better done in private.

Nor does he need to apologize to the lt gov, legislature or people of the state.
    He does need to own up to abandoning his post.
    Did he do that?
    He then has to either resign or explain why he should be allowed to stay.

All that said, this was definitely one of the better "I had an affair, I am sorry" pressers.

Best I could tell, his wife was not bravely standing by his side.
    Which is a major step forward.
    This might be the first presser of this type with out the humiliated wife.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

excruciating as it was to listen to (and for him to give i imagine)my perception is that this was an individual who was truly conflicted, regretful and sincere in his statement.

i don't think anyone is arguing that he is not sorry, sad and sincere about being sorry and sad. however, was the statement/press conference sincere? NO. his family doesn't need a public discussion about how he humiliated them. this was an effort to make himself look good...or less bad. the sincere move would be for him to save his wife and kids further humiliation. i don't see how this press conference could be seen as increasing the odds of that.

THis is part of the point Saletan was making - you never, ever admit that you actually LOVE your mistress, which is practically what Sanford did. Maybe it's true that his marriage was already on the rocks but damn man, you just admitted "I'm in love with another woman" which is several degrees shittier than saying, "I've been f*cking someone else."

Given America's twisted relationship to morality, the latter is more acceptable than the former.

To people with a better sense of political history: who the hell began the tradition of the public apology anyway? It just seems so de riguer even when it doesn't necessarily serve anyone's interests to do so.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    James, aren't you from down here or lived down here at some point? I remember talked to someone on here through PM years ago about record spots in Greenville..maybe it was someone else, though.
    Yeah, that was me. I lived in Anderson for a long time. You and I were (unbeknownst to each other) both among the half-dozen people at that aborted Jungle Brothers show in the late nineties.

Shit--I forgot about Bob Jones. And that lady whose kids died in the hot car while she was in some joint blowing her check on video poker. And of course the longstanding Peabo Bryson v. City of Greenville beef (apparently Peabo refuses to "claim" Greenville).

Man, SC is not looking too tough.

Lets be honest.
    No one cares that the gov of SC walked off the job.
    Except southcrack who has to live there.

If political dereliction and outrageousness were topics that interested us we would have a 5 page NY State Legislature thread.

No, this is about sex and public humiliation.

Maybe it's true that his marriage was already on the rocks but damn man, you just admitted "I'm in love with another woman" which is several degrees shittier than saying, "I've been f*cking someone else."

Maybe this is what makes it so great.

Anyone learn about King Edwards and a girl from Baltimore in their history books?

I bet he sells more books than Elizabeth Edwards.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

To people with a better sense of political history: who the hell began the tradition of the public apology anyway? It just seems so de riguer even when it doesn't necessarily serve anyone's interests to do so.

i don't have a great sense of political history, but Bob Livingston was the speaker of the house at the time Clinton got impeached and he gave a speech in which he resigned from his speakership and from office after admitting to past infidelities.

it would make sense that at the time republicans thought it was right that the president should resign for lying about getting a bj, they began to do full public confessionals every time they got caught cheating. i suppose they would then be viewed as LESS hypocritical.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    he's a bottom line kinda guy, he'll lay it out, and it's gonna hurt.

his kids are named Marshall, Landon, Bolton, and Blake.

four minutes in...can I make it the whole way?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    yeah. what happened to the good ol days when you could F*ck someone's wife, the help (hired or owned) and/or whoever and stay office forever and still get a grip of statues and shit when you bounce?

he's doing this thing we've invented with reality TV and Oprah etc: zero shame, just talking about it like it has nothing to do with him...just straight up narrative.

at six minutes, I'm not sure I'm going to make it...

SELFSELFSELF PUNCHLINE JUST ADDED TIME

he's a bottom line kinda guy, he'll lay it out, and it's gonna hurt.

his kids are named Marshall, Landon, Bolton, and Blake.

four minutes in...can I make it the whole way?

it's worth it.

Jennie and the Boys

Jennie and the Boys

appearing with Spiritual Giant. 10$ cover.

SELFSELFSELF PUNCHLINE JUST ADDED TIME

might be my favorite part. that and the "Yo".

The Checkers speech is considered the best defense of scandal speech.
    No sex, and really no apology.
    But Nixon was thought to be dead in the water over his acceptance of gifts and he redeemed himself by using tv.

The first sex scandal I remember was Senator Wilbur Mills getting stopped by police in West Potomac Park with Argentine stripper Fanne Foxe. She ran from police and threw herself in the tidal basin.
    Apparently there was a drunken press conference in her dressing room at one point.
    He won reelection.
    He was very powerful.
    He is the reason school kids can buy milk for a few pennies.

The next would be Gary Hart, he told the press if they thought he was having an affair they should follow him. He was, they did.

The first sex press conference I remember is Clinton saying I did not have sex with that woman.

that whols sparking thing

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    When "hiking the Appalachian" and "visitng Argentina" became euphemisms, I WAS THERE!

You should all take a quick moment to become fans of "Hiking in the Appalachians" on Facebook. If you need any extra incentive, the photo is a hot lady body-painted with the Argentinian flag.

is SC all messed up or do Governors just have no pull? ...because that dude kinda that whole thing was beat

and do we know the gender or species of this "dear dear" Argentinian yet?

and seriously cosign on dude being the WORST man-in-power butt-getter of all times: international internet pen pal five years in the making and he's only seen her three times in the past year wtf
    so weak

great moments in that video, though! I like the sideways-looking bookworm aide woman just ice grilling from stage right... and the insistence on "the process" which must now take place and how we're not to infringe or impede and we need that area of privacy or whatever

Even though the dear dear friend is Argentinian, I will bet all my bicycles that the sex was MAD_VANILLA...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

and do we know the gender or species of this "dear dear" Argentinian yet?

in his apology roll call he said I disappointed her, and I dissappointed my wife

When "hiking the Appalachian" and "visitng Argentina" became euphemisms, I WAS THERE!

You should all take a quick moment to become fans of "Hiking in the Appalachians" on Facebook. If you need any extra incentive, the photo is a hot lady body-painted with the Argentinian flag.

Link Plaese. Can't find it.

in his apology roll call he said I disappointed her, and I dissappointed my wife

female: check.

but he does some the most heartbroke over hurting Tom Davis.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

but he does some the most heartbroke over hurting Tom Davis.

true.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Link Plaese. Can't find it.

I think this should work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hiking-in-the-Appalachians/120645969761?ref=mf

I'm not very good at making up joke pages on Facebook, so who knows.

• James, aren't you from down here or lived down here at some point? I remember talked to someone on here through PM years ago about record spots in Greenville..maybe it was someone else, though.
    Yeah, that was me. I lived in Anderson for a long time. You and I were (unbeknownst to each other) both among the half-dozen people at that aborted Jungle Brothers show in the late nineties.

Shit--I forgot about Bob Jones. And that lady whose kids died in the hot car while she was in some joint blowing her check on video poker. And of course the longstanding Peabo Bryson v. City of Greenville beef (apparently Peabo refuses to "claim" Greenville).

Man, SC is not looking too tough.

Haha..that's right..M.O.P./Jungle Bros. show at Characters that NO ONE showed up too. So embarrassing! Funny that would come up as I was just talking to a friend of mine on my lunch break today about some of the hip hop shows at Characters in the 90's (that we were both at, but didn't know each other at the time).

Being the hometown of Peabo Bryson, Moses Dillard, & Shoeless Joe Jackson (honorable mentions to Jim Rice and Kevin Garnett for being from close by neighboring cities, Anderson and Mauldin) is about all that Greenville is good for.

But yeah..SC stays taking 'L's"...it's one of the few things we're good at.