SC GOV WTF?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Damn people are so predicable.

Who is that with the look of shame in the background?

I think that's Susan Boyle

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

it's a rambling headfuck

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He should have flown her up to Appalachia... if you know what I mean.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This story will reach epic magnitude if (1) Sanford's "dear Argentian friend" is a dude and (2) he used stimulus money to fly to Argentina.

• OK going awol is a bad thing for a gov.
    Still is that enough to impeach the guy?
    Or are you all so high and mighty now that getting something on the side is now an impeachable offense?

Impeach him because he lied to his staff?
    Give me a break.

I hope you're not serious, and if you are, get your head out of the bag of glue.
    The Governor is the chief executive of the state. If he walks off of his watch he has a legal responsibility to pass the authority of the office to the next in command, thet being the Lt. Gov. He took off, lied about where he was going and got caught.
    Sanford can f*ck whoever he wants (apparently his wife didn't care, so I don't either). That's not the problem here.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Give me a break.

Yes. As the GOVERNOR, you need be available at all times. Or you designate that reponsisblity. He deliberately mislead his staff regarding his whereabouts for 5 days. That is dereliction--at least. It's not like he's the manager of a Popeyes. Although I doubt he could even get that job now.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    OK going awol is a bad thing for a gov.
    Or are you all so high and mighty now that getting something on the side is now an impeachable offense?

Give me a break.

If anyone tries to get him thrown out it will be the Lt Gov and members of his own party, I would imagine. Keeping him around just fuels opposition fires, so I bet they try and talk him into "retirement" and to have "more time to work this out with his family....and mistress".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    OK going awol is a bad thing for a gov.

Give me a break.

I hope you're not serious, and if you are, get your head out of the bag of glue.
    The Governor is the chief executive of the state. If he walks off of his watch he has a legal responsibility to pass the authority of the office to the next in command, thet being the Lt. Gov. He took off, lied about where he was going and got caught.
    Sanford can f*ck whoever he wants (apparently his wife didn't care, so I don't either). That's not the problem here.

I'm serious.
    If they want to impeach him for going AWOL fine.
    If you support that fine.
    Like I said going awol is bad.

But lets leave the sex, and the lying [except as it pertains to being awol] out of it.

OK?

If it were my governor, I would give him a pass on the awol thing.
    Nothing bad happened, the state ran fine, no harm no foul.

BTW: My mayor had an affair with an 18 year old.
    (Or maybe a 17yo depending on what is an affair and when you believe it started.)
    He lied about it to the public and to his partner, and he got caught.
    I think he is a slime ball, but I thought he was a slime ball before I knew all that.
    Still, since the AG says there was no crime, I don't think he should be removed.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Quite simply, who cares?

I don't mean this in a smart ass manner, I mean so what if the guy cheated on his wife? What bearing does that have on his ability to govern? And don't give me some morality crap. Elected politicians have no more need to be monk-like in their morals than any executive does.

It seems to be a ridiculous reason to hold a press conference, of all things. "ATTENTION: I BONED A SOUTH AMERICAN WOMAN." Ok, great. Moving on...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm whatever about the affair, that's between him and his wife and this awesome Argentinean he couldn't resist. But if anyone of us didn't show up at work for a couple days - and lied about where we were to our employers - we'd be out on our asses.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    But if anyone of us didn't show up at work for a couple days - and lied about where we were to our employers - we'd be out on our asses.

This.

Can't believe anyone is defending this shit. Dude definitely has deeper issues if he ain't even bothering to make up shit to his wife as to where he was going.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The biggest self of self is indeed self.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Dude definitely has deeper issues if he ain't even bothering to make up shit to his wife as to where he was going.
    Nah, that's gangster.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The biggest self of self is indeed self.

I got to watch that Youtube clip and man that shit was painful to watch. Girls in the back all cracking up and everything. Man.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Actually, if you watch the actual press conference, it appears that some people in the background are about to bust out laughing.

Argh, I wanna watch it but I don't know if those links aren't working or if the new work firewall is hattering.

You guys are missing the great thing in the pic...

Look how Fox news made him a Democrat.

Score one for Fox News!

• Damn people are so predicable.

Actually, if you watch the actual press conference, it appears that some people in the background are about to bust out laughing.

Argh, I wanna watch it but I don't know if those links aren't working or if the new work firewall is hattering.

Score one for Fox News!

They've done that before, followed by a wholly insincere tale of a "technical glitch"...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i like how he starts off by saying he's a cut to the chase type of guy....and then 6 1/2 minutes later we find out he is having an affair. Like, as much as the press was all gathered to hear about his boy in the jurassic park sheets....let's get on with it buddy.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah, like clockwork with those guys.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Score one for Fox News!

They've done that before, followed by a wholly insincere tale of a "technical glitch"...

That shit infuriates me. How little respect do they have for their viewers? I gotta laugh to keep from planning to blow up Fox News.

The only positive is that some Fox-loving idiot is going to pipe up "he's a Democrat!" in front of people who know and then they can be like "Um, no, you asshat" and show them the New York Times or something to clown them.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i wonder how many bloggers are compiling the Sanford quotes on the evils of infidelity and/or any hypocritical bullshit he might have said during the Clinton impeachment. if he has called for others to leave office, let's hope he's a man of his words. what a dick.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Score one for Fox News!

yeah...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Score one for Fox News!

yeah...

Did they do it with Ensign, too? I'm pretty sure there are a few others as well.

• Wow..just wow. So crazy...we (South Carolinians) truly are the worst state in the f*cking country. We just LOVE giving more ammo to the rest of the country to shoot us down with...it's like shooting fish in a barrel at this point.

The girl(s) laughing during his tear-jerker of a speech (yawn) was an interesting touch.

• FOX has made this "mistake" on several occasions now- the funniest thing is that they now prmote themselves as the last vestiges of "real journalism"

I was pretty impressed by Sandford's presser. His apology sure sounded forthright and sincere. i actually have more respect for him now...

• F*ck Mark Sanford.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    FOX has made this "mistake" on several occasions now- the funniest thing is that they now prmote themselves as the last vestiges of "real journalism"

I was pretty impressed by Sandford's presser. His apology sure sounded forthright and sincere. i actually have more respect for him now...

William Saletan just posted an article on slate.com about how his apology is one of the better public apologies in the last decade, and praises his sincerity. He's still a jackass.

Past that, I DO agree with KVH on his, "Bottom-line-to-the-point," rambling. That was TOUGH to listen to- more out of boredom.

And, anyone thinking he shouldn't be impeached- that has NOTHING to do with the affair, and everything to do with his neglecting his post. Yesterday, the Lt. Gov of SC was interviewed on NPR, and he even said, "when you become a public official, you lose some of your personal life." If he isn't prepared to give that up- and this suggests he is not- he should be out on his ass.

I do appreciate the fact that he started his presser with a minute of talk on the Stimulus Package. That seemed very pertinent.

What a fuckup.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    FOX has made this "mistake" on several occasions now- the funniest thing is that they now prmote themselves as the last vestiges of "real journalism"

Past that, I DO agree with KVH on his, "Bottom-line-to-the-point," rambling. That was TOUGH to listen to- more out of boredom.

Perhaps his strategery is to make an apology so unlistenable that people would get bored and not listen and thereby forget it.
    Well done Governor!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Sanford's email to his Argentinian beauty is straight

"You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty."

"I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night's light -- but hey, that would be going into sexual details ..."

"...while all the things above are all too true -- at the same time we are in a ... hopelessly impossible situation of love...."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/24/south.carolina.governor.emails/index.html

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sanford's email to his Argentinian beauty is straight

"You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty."

"I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night's light -- but hey, that would be going into sexual details ..."

"...while all the things above are all too true -- at the same time we are in a ... hopelessly impossible situation of love...."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/24/south.carolina.governor.emails/index.html

I'm not sure if everyone picked up on it, but he seemed to say in the presser (is that what we call news conferences now?) that they met online. The quote was something like, "It started with emails - learning about what things were like in Argentina and here - and grew to be much more".

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that argentinehotties.com advertises as a cultural exchange.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Now that his emails are out...

F*ck his apology. F*ck THAT BULLSHIT.

This has been going on for months. He's only sorry because he got caught; he would be heading back down to Argentina in another few weeks if this hadn't happened.

F*ck him.