Dane Cook? Funny?

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I watched some of this dude's Madison Square Garden show on Comedy Central last night. I do not think he is very funny at all. Why is this guy doing shows in big arenas? Do any of you folls think he is funny? Not my kind of comedy.

Comments

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Why is this guy doing shows in big arenas?

Why is this guy successful?

And why does this guy make 200K a show?

The simple answer is for all three is there is no God and life is a cruel joke.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    that Gallagher picture there with the high heels - that's pretty funny. I'm not mad at that gag.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    i think it's more some girls wanna blap him and so naturally some guys wanna be him?? Not too sure but certainly not my cup o tea either!

Just been listening to the ricky gervais show and karl pilkington and that of late, and i can't believe i'd slept on it so long!! consistent bouts of audible laughter.....for days!!

• I hated on him for a long time. He always reminded me of some toolbag frat-boy. One of my friends from back east came out here for a visit and we went to the Laugh Factory and guess who was headlining...?

Had me crackin' the f**k up, though. He put on a good show.
    I couldn't stop laughing long enough to give him a good,
    thorough (and I wanted to).

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    My GF likes Rodney Carrington. She tried to get me to go out with her and some friends to see him tell jokes about broken dishwashers and licking batteries. TO HELL WITH THAT! Dude is lame.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    I watched some of this dude's Madison Square Garden show on Comedy Central last night. I do not think he is very funny at all. Why is this guy doing shows in big arenas? Do any of you folls think he is funny? Not my kind of comedy.

not funny at all. never understood his appeal. its weird, people bump his stuff at work and i have to listen. people are all crackin up and i'm just waiting for the joke to actually drop...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Painfully unfunny. Totally unoriginal. Often accused of plagirism- which I separate from his unoriginality, as that has more to do with his tired topics, delivery, etc.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Painfully unfunny. Totally unoriginal. Often accused of plagirism- which I separate from his unoriginality, as that has more to do with his tired topics, delivery, etc.

Talking of which, what happened to Carlos Mencia?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i think it's more some girls wanna blap him

ew.

following that a great sense of humour is sexy, he is un-blap-able to the max.

• I tend to agree with David Cross:

Q: Since good and bad are so subjective, what do you think are some indications of good and bad comedy?

DC Well, it helps to be at least unique in some way. Not that you can tread the same territory and not be funny and/or ???edgy,??? but I would say that having your own voice that is hard to imitate or deconstruct lends itself to ???good??? comedy as opposed to ???bad.??? The inverse is true as well. If you???re out there talking about how hard it is to F*ck fat chicks unless you???re drunk or how weird the names are for drinks at TGI Applebee???s ??? and your cadence and intonation make you sound like a cross between a 16-year-old girl from Orange County and a drill sergeant ??? then you???re probably not doing ???good??? comedy. Also, tricks are an indication of weak comedy. If you take a random set of Robin Williams or Dane Cook and reduce them to just a transcript written down on a piece of paper ??? which I know isn???t really fair because half of comedy is the presentation and performance (the ???show,??? as it were) ??? and you take away the corny ???gay??? voice or the high energy yelling and flexing at the audience and you???re left with some pretty weak ideas that have been offered a million different ways before you. But, again, it???s all subjective. Some people just want to have a good time and not think about stuff and stuff."

interview here:
    http://thatotherpaper.com/austin/david_cross_an_eye_for_a_tooth_and_a_tooth_for_an_eye

I don't think David Cross's stand-up funny either! he's great in AD and all that, otherwise, he doesn't even make me chortle.

• Hmmm, just out of curiosity then, who's stand up do you enjoy? And no, I'm not asking you so I can criticize your choices. Just wondering.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I don't think David Cross's stand-up funny either! he's great in AD and all that, otherwise, he doesn't even make me chortle.

He makes me guffaw. And, at times, snicker.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hmmm, just out of curiosity then, who's stand up do you enjoy? And no, I'm not asking you so I can criticize your choices. Just wondering.

All of the great stand-up comedians of my lifetime are dead.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The King

lol - you can critize my choices, we're on SoulStrut! I'm not an aficionado or anything - I used to work with stand-ups a loonnnnng time ago, but I definitely am not up things now. I like the regular folks - R Peters, M Hedberg, C Rock, Gina Yashere, Sugar Sammy (his piece on college radio PSAs is hilarious) - not sure how much stand-up she's doing these days, Wanda Sykes - I still have to see that White House Correspondents' Dinner thing

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Can you imagine the field day Hicks would have had with American Idol.

Hicks is #1.

Bruce
    Carlin
    Pryor
    Kaufman

Round out my Top 5

Mitch Hedberg gets honorable mention.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Gina Yashere

Wow, you might be the first person i've ever heard of who finds her funny.

Over here in the UK she's on some panel show called Mock The Week which she regularly stinks up with unfunnyness and her stand up routine is a bit wank too.

To each their own I guess, the rest of your list was cool so i'm taking it as an anomaly haha.

lmho - maybe I got her on some good days...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was gonna stand up for Dane being funny, but it doesn't matter. Funny is subjective, like music, like art, like anything based on creativity. All yall hate him.
    I listen to a lot of the Soulstrut massive's opinions, but movies & comedy I DO NOT.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Dane Cook = hilarity for drunken frat weasels....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    that's just not true

that's just not true

And how would you describe his core audience? I just can't see anyone with a higher IQ than the demographic described above getting into that crap.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    he is funny to dumb people

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I'll admit that I dug Dane Cook at one point. That early Comedy Central special he did (when he was wearing the black tank top (NAGL)) was really good. He went sharply downhill from there.

There are way better comics I should be spending my time/money on.

Like this guy. I saw him at the Comedy Cellar in New York last year and he killed it.

he is funny to dumb people

Bazinga!

• Co-sign on Bill Hicks being the greatest.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Chris Rock: or ?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    That early Comedy Central special he did (when he was wearing the black tank top (NAGL)) was really good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Chris Rock: or ?

somewhere in the middle