F*ck The Police, Part LXXIV

Comments

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    WMFU weekend I sat outside Gimme Gimme waiting for it to open

its funny you mention that street. east village gimme and bergenflatbush in brooklyn it's like they painted fake parking spots that only they can park in. wtf is that? and the parking on the sidewalk shit. i've always wanted to hand out my own parking tickets to them for that.

oh yeah and a few years back carribean day parade we found 60-70 cops chilling in the park snoozing in the shade collecting OT having abandoned their beats. no one shot that year but three stabbings that day on the route. wtf?!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Another one, from cnn.com today:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/05/texas.police.seizures/index.html

TENAHA, Texas (CNN) -- Roderick Daniels was traveling through East Texas in October 2007 when, he says, he was the victim of a highway robbery.

The Tennessee man says he was ordered to pull his car over and surrender his jewelry and $8,500 in cash that he had with him to buy a new car.

But Daniels couldn't go to the police to report the incident.

The men who stopped him were the police.

Daniels was stopped on U.S. Highway 59 outside Tenaha, near the Louisiana state line. Police said he was driving 37 mph in a 35 mph zone. They hauled him off to jail and threatened him with money-laundering charges -- but offered to release him if he signed papers forfeiting his property.

"I actually thought this was a joke," Daniels told CNN.

But he signed.

"To be honest, I was five, six hundred miles from home," he said. "I was petrified."

Now Daniels and other motorists who have been stopped by Tenaha police are part of a lawsuit seeking to end what plaintiff's lawyer David Guillory calls a systematic fleecing of drivers passing through the town of about 1,000.

"I believe it is a shakedown. I believe it's a piracy operation," Guillory said.

George Bowers, Tenaha's longtime mayor, says his police follow the law. And through her lawyers, Shelby County District Attorney Lynda Russell denied any impropriety.

Texas law allows police to confiscate drug money and other personal property they believe are used in the commission of a crime. If no charges are filed or the person is acquitted, the property has to be returned. But Guillory's lawsuit states that Tenaha and surrounding Shelby County don't bother to return much of what they confiscate.

Jennifer Boatright and Ron Henderson said they agreed to forfeit their property after Russell threatened to have their children taken away.

Like Daniels, the couple says they were carrying a large amount of cash --- about $6,000 -- to buy a car. When they were stopped in Tenaha in 2007, Boatright said, Russell came to the Tenaha police station to berate her and threaten to separate the family.

"I said, 'If it's the money you want, you can take it, if that's what it takes to keep my children with me and not separate them from us. Take the money,' " she said.

The document Henderson signed, which bears Russell's signature, states that in exchange for forfeiting the cash, "no criminal charges shall be filed ... and our children shall not be turned over" to the state's child protective services agency.

Maryland resident Amanee Busbee said she also was threatened with losing custody of her child after being stopped in Tenaha with her fianc?? and his business partner. They were headed to Houston with $50,000 to complete the purchase of a restaurant, she said.

"The police officer would say things to me like, 'Your son is going to child protective services because you are not saying what we need to hear,' " Busbee said.

Guillory, who practices in nearby Nacogdoches, Texas, estimates authorities in Tenaha seized $3 million between 2006 and 2008, and in about 150 cases -- virtually all of which involved African-American or Latino motorists -- the seizures were improper.

"They are disproportionately going after racial minorities," he said. "My take on the matter is that the police in Tenaha, Texas, were picking on and preying on people that were least likely to fight back."

Daniels told CNN that one of the officers who stopped him tried on some of his jewelry in front of him.

"They asked me, 'What you are doing with this ring on?' I said I had bought that ring. I paid good money for that ring," Daniels said. "He took the ring off my finger and put it on his finger and told me how did it look. He put on my jewelry."

Texas law states that the proceeds of any seizures can be used only for "official purposes" of district attorney offices and "for law-enforcement purposes" by police departments. According to public records obtained by CNN using open-records laws, an account funded by property forfeitures in Russell's office included $524 for a popcorn machine, $195 for candy for a poultry festival, and $400 for catering.

In addition, Russell donated money to the local chamber of commerce and a youth baseball league. A local Baptist church received two checks totaling $6,000.

And one check for $10,000 went to Barry Washington, a Tenaha police officer whose name has come up in several complaints by stopped motorists. The money was paid for "investigative costs," the records state.

Washington would not comment for this report but has denied all allegations in his answer to Guillory's lawsuit.

"This is under litigation. This is a lawsuit," he told CNN.

Russell refused requests for interviews at her office and at a fundraiser for a volunteer fire department in a nearby town, where she also sang. But in a written statement, her lawyers said she "has denied and continues to deny all substantive allegations set forth."

Russell "has used and continues to use prosecutorial discretion ... and is in compliance with Texas law, the Texas constitution, and the United States Constitution," the statement said.

Bowers, who has been Tenaha's mayor for 54 years, is also named in the lawsuit. But he said his employees "will follow the law."

"We try to hire the very best, best-trained, and we keep them up to date on the training," he said.

The attention paid to Tenaha has led to an effort by Texas lawmakers to tighten the state's forfeiture laws. A bill sponsored by state Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, would bar authorities from using the kind of waivers Daniels, Henderson and Busbee were told to sign.

"To have law enforcement and the district attorney essentially be crooks, in my judgment, should infuriate and does infuriate everyone," Whitmire said. His bill has passed the Senate, where he is the longest-serving member, and is currently before the House of Representatives.
    advertisement

Busbee, Boatright and Henderson were able to reclaim their property after hiring lawyers. But Daniels is still out his $8,500.

"To this day, I don't understand why they took my belongings off me," he said.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Something seems fishy about that article. Are there really that many people in East Texas driving around with large amounts of cash? Who buys a restaurant with cash in the first place? Or did the cops simply stop everyone who rolled through and got lucky a few times. Because it really seems like you could stop random people for years without coming upon a score like that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Something seems fishy about that article. Are there really that many people in East Texas driving around with large amounts of cash? Who buys a restaurant with cash in the first place? Or did the cops simply stop everyone who rolled through and got lucky a few times. Because it really seems like you could stop random people for years without coming upon a score like that.

C'mon, if it had been drug money they wouldn't just make up a story about a restaurant.

I'm sure they would have told the police "This is money from drug sales and I'm going to buy more drugs with it".

But seriously, F*ck any crooked podunk East Texas "law officers" if they are stealing folks money.

On the other side of the coin we had a police officer here last month who saved two kids from a burning car after a wreck....the officer got burned pretty badly...let's NOT f*ck him.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

C'mon, if it had been drug money they wouldn't just make up a story about a restaurant.

I'm sure they would have told the police "This is money from drug sales and I'm going to buy more drugs with it".

But seriously, F*ck any crooked podunk East Texas "law officers" if they are stealing folks money.

I worked on a death penalty case out of Shelby County. Police and prosecutors lived together in the crooked man's house. This conduct is abhorrent.

On the other side of the coin we had a police officer here last month who saved two kids from a burning car after a wreck....the officer got burned pretty badly...let's NOT f*ck him.

The police have a hard job where their physical safety is often in jeopardy, and they are generally undercompensated given the level of risk that they face. People like this officer deserve community accolades.

People like the fleecing Shelby County officers deserve to be punished.

The police have a hard job where their physical safety is often in jeopardy, and they are generally undercompensated given the level of risk that they face. People like this officer deserve community accolades.

Honestly, this is one of my pet peeves....."F*ck Tha Police Part LXXIV" yet never ever a thread giving police accolades for the 1,000's of times they go above and beyond the call of their underpaid duty.

We are in dire need of some balance in this area.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    here is an asshole cop being a big dick, caught on camera

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Honestly, this is one of my pet peeves....."F*ck Tha Police Part LXXIV" yet never ever a thread giving police accolades for the 1,000's of times they go above and beyond the call of their underpaid duty.

Honestly, Rich, I agree with you on principle.

BUT.

I haven't had a single positive interaction with my local police in almost a year now. From one hood to another, from minor issues to major bullshit.

Most recently, a police told me my block was "closed" while they did a car stop-n-search. Down the block and across the street from my building. I told the man that I lived in #31, was just going home with my wife... he said "go home later."

I circled around to park on the other side of 5th Ave, and by the time I got out of the car they were gone. No arrests, no seizures, nothing.

I've been cursed out by traffic cops who were writing illegal and contestable tickets (which I later fought and won).

And then you know my good friend was raped, the subject of this thread.

There are good cops out there. But they're few and far between.

Honestly, Rich, I agree with you on principle.

BUT.

I haven't had a single positive interaction with my local police in almost a year now. From one hood to another, from minor issues to major bullshit.

Most recently, a police told me my block was "closed" while they did a car stop-n-search. Down the block and across the street from my building. I told the man that I lived in #31, was just going home with my wife... he said "go home later."

I circled around to park on the other side of 5th Ave, and by the time I got out of the car they were gone. No arrests, no seizures, nothing.

I've been cursed out by traffic cops who were writing illegal and contestable tickets (which I later fought and won).

And then you know my good friend was raped, the subject of this thread.

There are good cops out there. But they're few and far between.

Jonny......I understand your stance and what happened to your friend is a crime that hopefully will be prosecuted to the fullest.....

BUT

Certainly you are not suggesting that all police officers should be judged by the actions of "NYC Finest".

Only recognizing the bad, which is what happens here, is discriminating against the "good ones" that even you admit are out there.

If a minority commits a crime we would not stand for anyone with an attitude of "F*ck That Minority"....yet that is exactly what we do to Cops...and it's wrong.

That was my above point, though - it's *not* the minority. The minority is, seemingly, the good ones.

I believe that the police pay scale, low bar for entry and success, and near untouchability attract the lowest common denominator. It shows.

I've had the pleasure of dealing with some good cops. It's quite unfortunate that those instances are far, FAR outnumbered by the amount of dealings I've had with asshole, power-tripping, useless, corrupt, vindictive cops.

I'm a fairly successful white guy. I can't imagine how that experience might be even further skewed if I were darker, poorer, less well-educated...

That was my above point, though - it's *not* the minority. The minority is, seemingly, the good ones.

I believe that the police pay scale, low bar for entry and success, and near untouchability attract the lowest common denominator. It shows.

I've had the pleasure of dealing with some good cops. It's quite unfortunate that those instances are far, FAR outnumbered by the amount of dealings I've had with asshole, power-tripping, useless, corrupt, vindictive cops.

I'm a fairly successful white guy. I can't imagine how that experience might be even further skewed if I were darker, poorer, less well-educated...

If I come here daily and make threads about heroic and upstanding Police until it reaches Part LXXIV will you change your opinion??

Depends, where do they take place??

Depends, where do they take place??

Seems like when you use the phrase "F*ck the Police" it's all inclusive...am I wrong??

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i'm sure we've all had bad experiences with power tripping cops but are they really the majority? is it really so easy to just become a cop? a buddy of mine whose uncles are cops recently tried to become a police officer and they wouldn't take him for a variety of reasons. the interviews, psychological profiling and the training are apparently quite intense. they are trying to screen out these bad cops or ones who are predisposed to becoming rotten although obviously thats far from fool-proof.

in any human system there is bound to be corruption and abuse. i am very sorry for what happened to your friend and can certainly understand your outrage, but as fredrick wiseman once said about his amazing documentary "law and order" (a movie he initially made to "get the pigs") "piggery" is not confined to the pigs.

Here is a brief description of the film:
    "To shoot the Emmy-winning Law and Order, Wiseman spent six weeks with the Kansas City Police Department -- at a time when, Wiseman points out, "the accepted clich?? view of the police, after the Chicago riots in '68, was that they were all 'pigs.' Of course, after you'd ridden around in the police cars for about 20 seconds, you realized that the piggery was in no way restricted to the police. You saw what people did to each other, which made it necessary to have police. Not to condone police misbehavior -- but it was obviously part of a continuum of human behavior which is not always admirable."

The title of this thread is referencing a little ditty by NWA. You may have heard of it.

There are different police forces all across the country, who have different challenges and different reactions to them. In New York City, the gauntlet was thrown down twenty years ago. It's not going to change now.

You can make a post every day about some heroic cop saving babies, arresting bad guys, walking old ladies across the street... it's not going to change an opinion formed over 31 years of living in very different, diverse landscapes - yet experiencing the same (poor) treatment from those sworn to serve and protect.

Police are viewed by many with a mixture of distrust and disdain. They've earned it. Honestly, I'm not sure they didn't intend it to be that way. Better to be feared than loved.

Be that as it may, I'm not going to argue further about this. It's one man's opinion. I think I've clearly stated that I do believe there are good cops. If you want to argue about semantics we'll have to do it some other time.

If you want to argue about semantics we'll have to do it some other time.

Agreed.

I've had good and bad experiences with Police.

I'm just not ready to condemn them all with blanket verbiage, which I'm certain some folks here are and do.

Honestly some of these stories are not much different than what racists say about their experiences with "everyone" of specific minorities.

I don't buy either one.

• Shit, I'll play:
    Most policemen I have encountered have been courteous and respectful of me and my rights even though I look like a filthy hippy. And luckily, they have never searched me.
    Cops are cool...most of us can't imagine the amount of shit they have to deal with. I would imagine that if you spent most of your day dealing with F*ck-ups and the dregs of society you may have a negative attitude towards people after a while. It certainly doesn't condone any behavior mentioned above but there are many a good policeman/woman out there.
    Oh shit! I sound white!

Not to sound like a cop hater, but I'd kind of appreciate it if you guys didn't go all soulstrut and turn this thread into an referendum on whether or not cops are cool.

Let's just lock or delete it. I'm just not really in the mood to celebrate the wonderful acts of kindhearted policemen. Hope you all can understand.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Not to sound like a cop hater, but I'd kind of appreciate it if you guys didn't go all soulstrut and turn this thread into an referendum on whether or not cops are cool.

Let's just lock or delete it. I'm just not really in the mood to celebrate the wonderful acts of kindhearted policemen. Hope you all can understand.

Right. The title of this thread, more accurately stated, is F*ck the police that faked a 9-1-1 call so they could go rape my friend.

This is not the place to call out the good ones.

• Options
    This is not the place to call out the good ones.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ...and jon if i remember correctly you and i had one good cop experience while driving through nebraska...

oh wait, that was you with the handcuffs. nevermind.

• chaschas 45 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime..._east_vill.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03012009/news/regionalnews/2_cops_probed_in_rape_157514.htm

Woman in question is a good friend of mine. Didn't want to say much until it was public, but there you have it.

The papers are not really going into too much detail. Edit: The cops returned *three* times to her apartment. The last time, they stayed for 37 minutes. They were on duty at the time.

These cops are from the precinct a block away from my shop, right next to Gimme Gimme.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110526/ap_on_re_us/us_nypd_rape_complaint
    Two police officers were acquitted Thursday of raping a drunken woman they'd been called to help, with a jury convicting them only of misdemeanor official misconduct charges in a case that pitted a stunning claim of police abuse against the officers' insistence that it simply didn't happen.

Looking exhausted but relieved as they left court, Officers Franklin Mata and Kenneth Moreno said they felt vindicated by the verdict, though Moreno called it both "a lesson and a win."

"My intentions were, from the beginning, just to help her," Moreno said. He was accused of raping the woman, with Mata serving as a lookout; the two had returned to her apartment three times after an initial call to help her get home. Moreno, 43, said he did so to check on her, at her request, and to counsel her about drinking.
    During the trial, prosecutors told a stark story of police misconduct and a perverse abuse of power. The officers acknowledged a number of missteps ??? including Moreno making a bogus 911 call about a sleeping vagrant as an excuse to return to her building ??? but said that they weren't crimes and that the rape allegation was a product of the woman's muddled memory.
    The woman testified that she passed out and awoke to being raped in her apartment. Moreno told jurors that he lay alongside her in her bed for a while but that they didn't have sex. Mata said he was napping in the living room while the others were in the bedroom.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I couldnt find this thraed earlier to smh at the verdict. this is riot shit.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Yeah, it was a morning of disgust today.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Ugh. Disgusting.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    are you fucking kidding me
    fuck those officers and motherfuck that judge/jury

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Napping? Come on.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    they returned to lay down and nap??
    wow this is some horrible shit.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    elise said:
    Napping? Come on.
    she was stuck between her bed and wall and i only comforted her for a few hours while humming bon jovi
    it's what she wanted to hear
    the assholes that have trained and prepped these vile excuses for humans should burn in hell as well
    Will a cop have to be filmed repeatedly running over an elderly white senator in broad daylight before some justice is served?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Taxpayer-funded spooning service for wayward women. Gimme a break.

RAPISTS, both of them.

Civil case loses anonymity correct? I feel very sorry for the victim, but the trial put the evidence out there and the public now knows what's up. She should still be proud about getting the taped confession and taking it this far. I know that sounds stupid but I am trying to be positive.