F*ck The Police, Part LXXIV

124»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I will sign any petition and attend any rally, hearing, or riot that may follow as a result of this bullshit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I really overestimated the intelligence of the jury. That is monumentally moronic.

How do you feel about the job the prosecution did?

I thought they did a great job, but I'm no lawyer and am ignorant of much of the courtroom antics/procedures that they engage in, and that often make or break a case.

I can't divulge too many specifics about the victim, the "control meet", the DA's office or conversations off the record to those ends but suffice to say that if it weren't for Balbert, Tacchi and others there wouldn't be a case at all. So I'm thankful for their hard work.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    There's always the question if they could have convicted on lesser charges. We'll never know.

• Options
    Possum Tom said:
    I will sign any petition and attend any rally, hearing, or riot that may follow as a result of this bullshit.

There's a rally tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105787382845246&notif_t=event_photo_change

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Happened in Chicago recently, too.

http://www.chicagonewsreport.com/2011/03/2-chicago-cops-accused-of-rape-accused.html

What the hell. Seriously.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the thing i find most galling about this is quotes like the following:

An alternate juror who saw most of the trial said by phone that he agreed with the rape acquittal, citing the lack of DNA evidence as a crucial point. He said that although the woman seemed sincere, he had questions about her spotty memory. He also said that the prosecutors, through no fault of their own, just did not have enough evidence to prove their case.

???I definitely thought some funny business went on,??? said the alternate juror, who insisted on anonymity. ???Is it possible they raped her? Sure.???

if it had been, say a west african cab driver who drove her home on trial, they would not have been looking so hard at ways to justify acquittal...

why this obvious deviant scumbag cop deserves to have his word have more weight than the woman is fucked up...

his cover story of "cuddling in bed" didn't raise any eyebrows? that is not protecting and serving in my book... nevermind his fake 911 call which is a screaming red flag...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    the thing i find most galling about this is quotes like the following:

An alternate juror who saw most of the trial said by phone that he agreed with the rape acquittal, citing the lack of DNA evidence as a crucial point. He said that although the woman seemed sincere, he had questions about her spotty memory. He also said that the prosecutors, through no fault of their own, just did not have enough evidence to prove their case.

???I definitely thought some funny business went on,??? said the alternate juror, who insisted on anonymity. ???Is it possible they raped her? Sure.???

if it had been, say a west african cab driver who drove her home on trial, they would not have been looking so hard at ways to justify acquittal...

why this obvious deviant scumbag cop deserves to have his word have more weight than the woman is fucked up...

his cover story of "cuddling in bed" didn't raise any eyebrows? that is not protecting and serving in my book... nevermind his fake 911 call which is a screaming red flag...

After reading up on this, I think this was probably about her not being able to clearly remember what went down but at the same time not completely unconscious. I don't know if this is true since there are always so many "expert" opinions and it's hard to figure out which really know what they are talking about and which are just know-nothings trying to sound smart but from what I understood, under NY law, it takes a woman to be completely passed out for the sex to be legally considered not consensual. This is also another shining example of how fucked up jury trials are, how can you let a group of randomly selected idiots decide about shit like this? The guy admitted on tape to having had sex with her by stating that he had used a condom, they had the fake 911 call as evidence, this is just all beyond comprehension. The bag of heroin in the locker is another clear indicator that this is a predator. A wolf who was hired to herd sheep. Then look at what kind of a message this sends out to this guy in specific and to would-be sexual predators and to cops in general. This is just crazy and the whole thing seems like a story you heard about something that happened in the 1950s.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Possum Tom said:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105787382845246&notif_t=event_photo_change

Tom are you going?
    I'm thinking about attending... who else?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i'm curious as to why they were indicted by a grand jury who didn't indict on lesser sex assault crimes as well? "cuddling in bed" with some who is half dressed and completely intoxicated WHILE ON DUTY is extremely suspect. fake 911 calls, partner "napping" in the other room, caught on tape saying protection was used... etc. seemed like a lot of evidence to me. what kind of evidence is needed besides DNA or video of the crime ACTUALLY happening?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Frank said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Possum Tom said:

Tom are you going?
    I'm thinking about attending... who else?
    I will certainly try

• Could someone post a link to a detailed article containing the facts of the case? The only ones I can find are pretty general. Sorry if one has already been posted, I scanned through and didn't see one.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't want to hijack, but this seemed apt. Incredibly, this is has to be explicitly stated...and is just coming to law now.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/998055--woman-can-t-consent-to-sex-while-unconscious-supreme-court-rules?bn=1

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cove said:

right infront of my wife's job
    10 shots fired at a homeless dude 2 blocks away from the shelter...4 officers can't handle a dude going through trash...an innocent hospital worker is fatally wounded...just terrible

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    that whole video is fucked. the ending is mental. innocent bystanders getting rushed with guns drawn and pointed at 'em. it seems the police are getting worse and worse as the years go by. training is out the window now-a-days. just put armor suits, tasers, glocks etc on these new recruits and let em go to war. no accountability. lots of bad seeds with badges.

before anyone rushes in saying i don't respect police:

it's a tough job and sometimes the pay doesn't match up. there are SOME good ones out there for sure.. my dad was a cop when i was growing up well into my teens (retired). 3 of my cousins are cops. my uncle was a chief of police(retired).

that is all

• Update: Judge Carro ripped into Officer Moreno this morning, letting him know in no uncertain terms that the court doubted the veracity of Moreno's sworn testimony. He was sentenced to 3 years, the maximum for each count of Official Misconduct (running concurrent though... bah).

He was remanded immediately, denied bail pending appeal... he will sleep in Rikers tonight.

And the dope they found in his locker during the initial investigation... oh yeah, that is pending for a separate trial. So I think the hardest days are yet ahead for this scumbag.

I want to thank on behalf of my friend all the folks that went down to the protest the day of the jury verdict and those who reached out privately to offer support. We didn't get everything we wanted, but to hear the judge lean into this dude like that was extremely gratifying. At least, some justice was served.

• glad that your friend got some degree of justice. sounds like the judge really tore into the cop:

Justice Carro criticized Mr. Moreno's testimony, calling it "incredible" and accusing him of tailoring it to address the few details that the accuser could recount.

???During your testimony," Justice Carro said, "you told a story that was incredible. Your testimony was classic for admitting what you couldn???t deny, denying what you couldn???t admit and classic tailoring of your testimony to the witnesses who testified before you.???

When law enforcement officers commit crimes, it tears at the fabric of society, Justice Carro said.

???You, sir, ripped a gaping hole in that fabric in committing your crimes.???

Justice Carro alternated emotions between anger and sarcasm and he recounted Mr. Moreno's testimony. At times, Justice Carro seemed like an angry father, appearing as though he was finished speaking, only to throw in more criticism off the top of his head.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/nyregion/ex-officer-sentenced-in-east-village-rape-case.html

• hopefully it is wrong and will run a correction, but that nytimes article reported a 1-year sentence.

• meistromoco said:
    hopefully it is wrong and will run a correction, but that nytimes article reported a 1-year sentence.

No, you are correct - the 3 year sentence runs concurrently. That's what "concurrent" means in legalese.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I followed this case too, after you originally posted it. Verdict made me sick, those two cops were some real scumbags. I hope she brings a civil suit against them and the NYPD for failure to supervise.

• sabadabada said:
    I followed this case too, after you originally posted it. Verdict made me sick, those two cops were some real scumbags. I hope she brings a civil suit against them and the NYPD for failure to supervise.

There's a $57m civil suit pending.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Good to hear. I can't begin to imagine how this must have eaten away at you. I hope your friend gets that money and most importantly gets over the trauma. And I also hope that both those cops are going to get what they have coming... since they got kicked off the force they should end up in gen pop to ensure the most fulfilling experience possible.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i hope this is only a small entr??e to 9course meal of punishment for these pathetic excuses for humans
    good to see some light in this dark cave

• http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/chutzpah_cop_to_jail_GkdfZM7b96J3Gf2lx2JylI

Have fun in Rikers, asshole.

This article says they will be in protective custody, though I heard from the DA's office yesterday that they will be in gen pop.

Either way though, feels somewhat good after a harrowing few years for our friend.

Thanks to everyone who showed support in this thread, privately, publicly, and otherwise. It's rare to see police go to jail at all, so even though we didn't get what we wanted, we all feel a tiny bit of closure.

• good stuff!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Much, much better than nothing. Although it's sad having to be appreciative that these pigs get any time at all and make do with what will only amount to around 8 months. Hopefully it'll be enough for at least a couple of memorable encounters in the shower...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I hope all you all find closure.

Edit: b/w
    What I really hope is that nothing like this ever happens again.