This president is ok by me

Comments

• how does your girl feel about your small axe?

• Do you guys want people to just roll over and say, "Fu*k what we believe. We musn't upset Mr. Obama."?
    They were elected based on their beliefs and owe it to their supporters to hold their ground.

The approval rating is at 60% right now (I think).
    That's 4 out of every 10 people not sporting a sh*t-eating grin.

and 8 of those 10 people not puking in their mouth over an idiot's smirk

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Gahhhh!! Bobby Jindal's retort is crazy infomercial

• "My fellow Americans, my team of experts have put together a film that should clearly explain my plan to fix the economy..."

• Rick c'mon! Thank god we don't talk politics when we get to drankin. I'll gladly take that stimulus check off your hand whenever you get it if you want to ride out on your principles... haha

• Do you guys want people to just roll over and say, "Fu*k what we believe. We musn't upset Mr. Obama."?
    I've heard a few good ideas from that side in the last month, but too often their reasoning is weak ("work isn't a job") ... or their alternatives are worse (3 trillion in tax cuts).

• I was hoping Jindal would come out with something legitimate. I am not 100% down with the bailout and stimulus plan. The opposition party has a duty to advance a good argument, but all I heard was empty catchphrases attached to basic "states rights" and "starve the beast" logic that we've heard from Republicans for a decade or more. And quite simply, SmallAxeRick, it has not worked. Moreover, it will not work now.

I don't disagree with you on principle, but I've been reading all your posts and I just don't think you have a good grasp of the problems here.

The best economists are saying we actually would need to spend more to make a difference. That the stimulus doesn't do enough, and that banks need to be nationalized sooner rather than later.

I don't pretend to fully understand this (there's a thought, eh?) but what Jindal was pushing was utter pablum that will not help get us out of this mess. And his speech bombed with the viewers. David Brooks called him "insane". David Brooks!

• gotta love david brooks calling him a nut.

granted,the stimulus is a very uncomfortable thing. but i think it has republicans even more uncomfortable due to advancing a "liberal agenda" of beneficiaries.

try explaining to conservatives that funding food stamps is an effective form of stimulus, since it all gets spent, and you would be met with blank stares.

im sure obama's claims to tax the highest 2% brackets is making people squirm as well.

what did that fool senator lady about there not being any rich people anymore?

that's Mr. President to you.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Do you guys want people to just roll over and say, "Fu*k what we believe. We musn't upset Mr. Obama."?

that's Mr. President to you.

Sayin. This is 'Merica. 'MERICA! Lurve it or leave it, hippie.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I feel terrible for these rich folks who are going to be taxed unfairly

perhaps we should take up a collection for them?

how about a HEATROCK style auction?

• Nate could throw up Marvin Whoremonger...

Nate could throw up Marvin Whoremonger...

but then he'd just have to give the money back to himself, so what'd be the point in that?

• SmallAxeRick- I disagree with the Robin Hood analogy and I'm glad to read your dissenting opinion, but I wonder if it's possible to just, y'know, wait and see what happens before rushing to judgement.

SmallAxeRick- I disagree with the Robin Hood analogy and I'm glad to read your dissenting opinion, but I wonder if it's possible to just, y'know, wait and see what happens before rushing to judgement.

No. You either support the President, or you support the terrorists. THIS IS 'MERICA! THESE COLORS DON"T RUN!

• SmallAxeRick- I disagree with the Robin Hood analogy and I'm glad to read your dissenting opinion, but I wonder if it's possible to just, y'know, wait and see what happens before rushing to judgement.

No. You either support the President, or you support the terrorists. THIS IS 'MERICA! THESE COLORS DON"T RUN!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SmallAxeRick- I disagree with the Robin Hood analogy and I'm glad to read your dissenting opinion, but I wonder if it's possible to just, y'know, wait and see what happens before rushing to judgement.

exactly, the way I see it, the financial crisis is the economic 9/11, we need to pull together & support the pres-o-dent

back then, the Dems voted for the Patriot Act & the Iraq War, now it's the GOP's turn

guess they don't care about America

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

exactly, the way I see it, the financial crisis is the economic 9/11, we need to pull together & support the pres-o-dent

back then, the Dems voted for the Patriot Act & the Iraq War, now it's the GOP's turn

See, it's when these comparisons are drawn(even in jest) that I kind of stop and think, "Yeah, maybe slowing things down a bit isn't the worst idea". Look what went down the last time everyone started lining up to prove that they were as American as the next Senator. If it works, it works, if it doesn't...then the Republicans get their way because their idea is to essentially wait and see what happens, oh... and tax cuts. Always with the tax cuts!

See, it's when these comparisons are drawn(even in jest) that I kind of stop and think, "Yeah, maybe slowing things down a bit isn't the worst idea". Look what went down the last time everyone started lining up to prove that they were as American as the next Senator. If it works, it works, if it doesn't...then the Republicans get their way because their idea is to essentially wait and see what happens, oh... and tax cuts. Always with the tax cuts!

That's reasonable, but in rebuttal: 'Merica.

WHO NEEDS THE GUMMINT?

WE CAN BOOTSTRAP OUR WAY OUTTA THIS MESS

That's reasonable, but in rebuttal: 'Merica.

Kick ASS!

did Bush ever sign autographs like that?

it was like an NBA game

did Bush ever sign autographs like that?

it was like an NBA game

Maybe not, but W had groupies

Bachman was practically humping his leg, wouldn't let go of dude

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    C'mon guys, lets leave the volcano monitoring where it belongs- in the private sector. Do you guys really want some big-government bureaucrat telling you what to do when your trying to get your volcano monitoring start-up off the ground???

I'm also starting my levitating magnetic train project this afternoon. Private enterprise y'all!

• exactly, the way I see it, the financial crisis is the economic 9/11, we need to pull together & support the pres-o-dent

right, its like, oh - you don't support the recovery act - you must not be a Patriot!

i think EVERYONE is uncomfortable about the stimulus because our economic future is so speculative. however, there is an economic theory behind the stimulus that republicans like to ignore when criticizing it. the gop loves to incite hatred of anyone getting a free pass, whether that is the reality or not. The housing bill is very specific as to who is entitled to restructure their mortgage, and it excludes millions of people. however, so far the main argument i hear repeated on tv, at the watercooler, by friends, etc., is "why should my taxes go to bailout some greedy asshole who can't pay his mortgage?"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I can't take credit for this one, but I rather enjoyed it:

[Jindal's] entrance was horrific. Stepping out of the shadows, he looks like the psycho killer who???s trying to act normal after just having finished sinking a car with a dead body in the trunk in the swamp behind his house. Did M. Night Shyamalan direct that entrance? Because I see dead people.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Brooks is right on about the problems that the GOP faces. They need to (and I cringe when I say this) start listening to Newt Gingrich, who has been advocating that the GOP take a strong pro-competent gov't approach, instead of always bashing it. He ties the GOPs downfall to Katrina and the message of "we fon't care" to their electoral slide. Without a positive agenda, they are looking in the teeth of some more heavy electoral losses. So I ask the conservatives on the board, "what should be done about the insolvency of the banks and the corresponding economic downturn"? Real Headz want to hear your plan.

Maddow speechless