ADVICE COLUMN

Comments

• Dear AP,
    My ex and I broke up months ago in a semi adult like fashion and even though I knew it was the right thing, it was still tough. She was bossy, controlling at times and couldn't compromise, I knew this wouldn't make for a good union down the road. In spite of my insight, I still miss that bitch. When she started dating people I couldn't remain as close friends with her for obvious reasons (before she did, I started dating chics and she got sort of jealous and nosy). And particularly this last Saturday at a gig I was playing she showed up with some dude she's been seeing and proceeded to mug down on this clown five feet in front of me. I was a bit intoxicated and had to restrain myself from ripping dude's throat out and beating the living shit out of him.
    How do I get on with my own form of peaceful solutions, put this in perspective and not let this situation get the best of me and keep me from focusing my energy on new horizons, creations and general real-world moves.

semi-retorically speaking,
    nrich

I understand...

Sounds like she did that shit to roust you. I personally would not hang with her at all. Sounds like unfinished business... Sometimes a clean break is best. I personally, was with a woman for five years before Ramona and I broke clean with her. I have not spoken with her for years. This is really best for me but everyone is different. You two sound like you have the same social set and that can be hard. You will just have to move on and come to terms with it and simply no longer be concerned with her and her life. Then you will find peaceful solutions. Easier said than done but time will heal this sort of thing.

ap

• Dear AP,
    My ex and I broke up months ago in a semi adult like fashion and even though I knew it was the right thing, it was still tough. She was bossy, controlling at times and couldn't compromise, I knew this wouldn't make for a good union down the road. In spite of my insight, I still miss that bitch. When she started dating people I couldn't remain as close friends with her for obvious reasons (before she did, I started dating chics and she got sort of jealous and nosy). And particularly this last Saturday at a gig I was playing she showed up with some dude she's been seeing and proceeded to mug down on this clown five feet in front of me. I was a bit intoxicated and had to restrain myself from ripping dude's throat out and beating the living shit out of him.
    How do I get on with my own form of peaceful solutions, put this in perspective and not let this situation get the best of me and keep me from focusing my energy on new horizons, creations and general real-world moves.

semi-rhetorically speaking,
    nrich

whoop his ass Take comfort in the fact that you where hitting it first and all the shit he does with her you've been doing , shit you may have even gotten bored of it. Go up to him and be like "yo man, she likes it when she gets Donkey Punched. Everytime I did that to her it would drive her nuts."

weak mysoginistic banter. get your own advise column.

• Dear AP,

how do I make moves in the real world?... Let me clarify: I wanna rock that shit!

Anthony,

How it is best to establish your own hustle and make said "moves"? Also, what time of year is it best to incorporate?

Cheers,

M South of LA

hard work, capitol, knowledge, lots of risk and total involvement.

p.s. you can incorporate any time of the year.

• highnoteshighnotes 66 Posts
    Dear AP,

I find myself getting really hungry throughout the day and I ain't talking little hungry, I mean eat a whole meal hungry. I try to fix this by snacking in between meals. However the soy crisps they sell at the deli across the street just ain't cutting it. Shits getting bad cause its fuckin with my concentration (even when I'm sober), what do you recommend?

-Hungry in Hollywood

power bar or cliff bar.

eat that shit.

CLIFF BARS ALL DAY...actually just one in the mid morning will hold me over till supper.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Dear AP,

semi-rhetorically speaking,
    nrich

whoop his ass Take comfort in the fact that you where hitting it first and all the shit he does with her you've been doing , shit you may have even gotten bored of it. Go up to him and be like "yo man, she likes it when she gets Donkey Punched. Everytime I did that to her it would drive her nuts."

weak mysoginistic banter. get your own advise column.

Advantage: Pearson.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Hello Dr AP.

Theres this chick on the bus I get home from work and she is a hottie, but she has her walkman on alll the time (she's like grooving around to the music in her seat and everything mang). The music never stops though and she's so into it she isn't aware of whats going on around her. I need to let her beautiful self know I think she's the straight-up bomb.

What should my approach be?

Best regards. Mr.Lee.

• Hello Dr AP.

Theres this chick on the bus I get home from work and she is a hottie, but she has her walkman on alll the time (she's like grooving around to the music in her seat and everything mang). The music never stops though and she's so into it she isn't aware of whats going on around her. I need to let her beautiful self know I think she's the straight-up bomb.

What should my approach be?

Best regards. Mr.Lee.

that's easy...

you can simply pass her a note ( or give her a flower ) without interupting her musical moment.

please be sweet and not a sleeze ball however.

ap

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    dear mr ap

i need a new used car to drive around purchasing records,
    my old one is done
    what model would you suggest ?
    thanks in advance

how much are you trying to spend??

not to impose on your thread, AP
    Thanx for the info, BTW, kinda waht I been thinkin'

replacing a 92 volvo wagon with 270,000 miles
    i've saved 10g's, been looking for a honda accord 97 wagon or toy camry 96 wagon
    but they are raer around here
    need to put some heavy miles driving loads of raers from my southern hick town to AP in LA

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Anthony, there's this girl who wants to intern but she's hot and flirtatious (with me) and that's a bad business scenario. Should I sleep with her and then say, "sorry now I can't employ you" or the other way around???

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    dear mr ap

i need a new used car to drive around purchasing records,
    my old one is done
    what model would you suggest ?
    thanks in advance

pontiac sunfire... perferably three tone.

sweee-ui--eete

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Anthony, there's this girl who wants to intern but she's hot and flirtatious (with me) and that's a bad business scenario. Should I sleep with her and then say, "sorry now I can't employ you" or the other way around???

Be careful or you might end up like that american apparel dude.

That's a tough position to be in. I've been in similar situations many, many times & I've always resisted. My motto is don't shit where you eat.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    the twiddle and the sunset and some mellow private issue new age.
    but what if I like to smoke and listen to Beanie Siegle's new record? is this bad?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Be careful or you might end up like that american apparel dude.

That's a tough position to be in. I've been in similar situations many, many times & I've always resisted. My motto is don't shit where you eat.

This is not an employee, currently or prospectively. She asked to intern, is all.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Dear AP, Just got laid off of my "career" job (good timing though) and I'm about to take out about a 70K-80K loan to get a Bachelors of Science degree in Entertainent Business and an Associates in Recording Arts at FullSail in Florida. Am I out of my freeking mind to drop all this loot on an education in such a non-lucrative business? I think I am insane to do this, but it's time to up the ante, and besides, being completely insane is kind of fun. Not to mention that student loans are meant to never be paid off (or so I've been coaxed to believe).

semi-rhetorical because this lad will be registering soon, regardless. but your thoughts would be appreciated.

peas.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    dear mr. AP phd,
    am i sucker to quit my tuffguy sounding foundry job (nepotism), to enter into the world of finance, by becoming an investment banker? i fear my street cred will possibly decline at the same rate my income increases. will i ever be a "true" , and will my friends incessantly talk shit about me as they stand behind their west seattle record store counter? word.

First off all who cares what your friends think do what is right for you... And the other thing is investment bankers are gangster as fuk and make foundry workers look like pussies ( pardon my French ).

No no no. This is disturbing all the way around.

• Dear AP,

I find myself getting really hungry throughout the day and I ain't talking little hungry, I mean eat a whole meal hungry. I try to fix this by snacking in between meals. However the soy crisps they sell at the deli across the street just ain't cutting it. Shits getting bad cause its fuckin with my concentration (even when I'm sober), what do you recommend?

-Hungry in Hollywood

power bar or cliff bar.

eat that shit.

Aren't those things made of apple cores and Chinese newspapers???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dear AP,

-Hungry in Hollywood

power bar or cliff bar.

eat that shit.

Aren't those things made of apple cores and Chinese newspapers???

I don't like them chinese newspapers they make me hungry again an hour later

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Am I doing enough exercise to lose weight? I play badminton for 2 hours solid every Sunday. Is this enough as I dont seem to be losing any weight. I started the regular badminton 3 weeks ago but it doesnt seem to be having an effect!

also

How do I make my dog throw up if he ate something poisonous?

-J.Popper

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

She asked to intern, is all.

h

Associates in Recording Arts at FullSail in Florida.

As a Fullsail grad (who actually "made it") I think you are out of your mind. Much better ways to spend that $$$$$. Like equipment and a few DIY books. You do not need to spend 3 months learning an SSL/Neve/Amek. IMO there is 95% chance you will never touch one again. Plus the "Acedemic" courses are a FUCKING joke. I do not need a recent grad teaching me how to write a resume and what to say on a job interview. Plus w/ the 120+ students they graduate a month out of the audio program you'll even have trouble finding a decent internship in a studio getting coffee. Don't let those advisors and gear get you big-eyed.

If you have any questions PM me.

Good Luck.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dear AP, Just got laid off of my "career" job (good timing though) and I'm about to take out about a 70K-80K loan to get a Bachelors of Science degree in Entertainent Business and an Associates in Recording Arts at FullSail in Florida. Am I out of my freeking mind to drop all this loot on an education in such a non-lucrative business? I think I am insane to do this, but it's time to up the ante, and besides, being completely insane is kind of fun. Not to mention that student loans are meant to never be paid off (or so I've been coaxed to believe).

I thought about jumping into the recording industry when I was picking a major in school, but working at record stores for a few years prior to that showed me that the music business is ever so surely declining. I couldn't imagine being 50 years old and feeling secure in this industry, I chose to go the path or TV/ Film instead which is just as unsteady as music but with more promise of being lucrative down the road.

just my 2 cents

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Am I doing enough exercise to lose weight? I play badminton for 2 hours solid every Sunday. Is this enough as I dont seem to be losing any weight. I started the regular badminton 3 weeks ago but it doesnt seem to be having an effect!

also

How do I make my dog throw up if he ate something poisonous?

-J.Popper

i'm in the same situations but replace "badminton" with "with myself" and "dog" with "child"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Anthony,

An econo-bredren said you're a lightweight with the twiddle stick. Can you help me decrease my tolerance so I can smoke less?

OK, very good question.

The first thing you have to do is throw away your bong.

Heavy toking off the bong is out of fashion.
    Good luck,

ap

Ahem!! is it a do as i say not as i do situation.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I thought about jumping into the recording industry when I was picking a major in school, but working at record stores for a few years prior to that showed me that the music business is ever so surely declining. I couldn't imagine being 50 years old and feeling secure in this industry, I chose to go the path or TV/ Film instead which is just as unsteady as music but with more promise of being lucrative down the road.

just my 2 cents

guz, where do you work? i just left film biz at caa to get into music stuff. how do you have time at work to fuck around on soulstrut so much?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

just my 2 cents

guz, where do you work? i just left film biz at caa to get into music stuff. how do you have time at work to fuck around on soulstrut so much?

I work at E! Entertainment, as for soulstrut fucking around time it's called research and logging... I'm enjoying it right now, I know there is some serious work coming down the pipe.

just my 2 cents

I work at E! Entertainment, as for soulstrut fucking around time it's called research and logging... I'm enjoying it right now, I know there is some serious work coming down the pipe.

Adam,

do you do any editing? If so are they running avids or final cut over there?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Adam,

do you do any editing? If so are they running avids or final cut over there?

Avid we also use smoke and a few other programs but I am not fully familiar with anything outside of the 2 I mentioned

Thanks...I was curious since alot of places in Miami (Discovery Latin, Direct TV...) have been making the switch to final cut.

Smoke is BAD ASS. Not that I've used one but the GFX dudes use to pump some killer shit @ my old gig.

• Anthony, there's this girl who wants to intern but she's hot and flirtatious (with me) and that's a bad business scenario. Should I sleep with her and then say, "sorry now I can't employ you" or the other way around???

no... just have her in the shop as an intern. it's good for business and the sexual tension is better than sleeping with her anyway.

• the twiddle and the sunset and some mellow private issue new age.
    but what if I like to smoke and listen to Beanie Siegle's new record? is this bad?

this is very bad.