COLD AS ICE - Official 08-09 NHL Thread

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Au revoir, Montreal. Your 100 years are a long and proud legacy.

Your 100th year was a mess, though. And a big fuckyou to Mike Komisarek,
    congratulations on going into free agency looking like a loser, getting
    tossed from your last game because you are chasing Lucic around looking
    for cheap shots against a kid that has outplayed you in every damn game.

Bitch.

No hard feelings to all my Habs fans pals in here, I can't pretend it
    doesn't feel awesome to sweep you guys but I've got dreams of bigger
    fish to fry already.

So, does this thread just become my personal blog now?

It was me and some Montreal fans all year, right?

Let's run it down, the lonely life of an NHL fan on Soul Strut.

Chicago has massive crew on this board. The Hawks are in one of
    the best playoff series going. Nothing from Chicago dudes. They are
    too busy watching April baseball.

New York is MASSIVELY represented on here. Rangers are going for the
    big upset of the year, 7th seed up 3-1 on the 2nd seed Capitals.

New York dudes?

Bruins may be facing NY in round 2, and Lundquist scares the SCHITT out of me!

Detroit heads on here pretty deep - but seems like the only dudes speak up
    for them aren't even from Detroit. Maybe not, I remember a couple of posts on
    the Wings.

Still, the NHL playoffs are in full burn and this shit is

y'all got some teams making moves, watch a game, shout 'em out. yo.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts

Detroit heads on here pretty deep - but seems like the only dudes speak up
    for them aren't even from Detroit. Maybe not, I remember a couple of posts on
    the Wings.

Detroit fans are around! Work has had me on non-stop stress mode lately...so that's why I haven't been contributing. Also, it's just hard to get excited when you run a f*ckin hockey clinic every night against the Blue Jackets. It's also hard when the only network that supports the Red Wings are Fox Sports Detroit. Both Versus and HNIC hate the team...which I don't really understand. HNIC will show all the Lucic and Avery crap going on, but they didn't mention once the rediculous clean hit from Stuart on Umberger.

I don't know if anyone else was watching the Rangers - Capitals game last night, but if I were Tortorella, I'd bench Avery for two of the most idiotic penalties I've seen in hockey. Flagrantly whipping his hands around on two occasions and catching 2 people in the face, 1-goal game, 2 minor penalties in the last 5 minutes. Absolutely un-called for.

I'm guessing once we get to the Conference Finals, we'll have a lot more to talk about. I was thining San Jose would do something...but they aren't looking good. Possible Chicago - Detroit Western Conference FInals would have brawls in the crowd every night! I'm thinking the east might come down to New Jersey - Boston, if New Jersey can get their act together.

Haha...Brodeur going nuts with that goal with 0.02 seconds left was awesome. He's usually so calm and collected...never seen him like that.

For all the other peeps on the board who are hockey fans...post something up! It's the best time of the year...Bell's Oberon beer and NHL playoff hockey for me

DISCUSS

(also...when are we going to have an annual SoulStrut hockey game RAJ? haha)

I thought the first Avery call was kind of unfair, but the
    second one was absolutely idiotic on his part. The only thing about
    that is, how dumb is Torterella for having Avery on the ice AT ALL
    in the last 5 minutes of a 1-goal playoff game in the first place??

I think the Wings are getting ignored this round mainly because
    NOBODY cares about Columbus, and it's pretty much a walk for the
    Wings in this series ... the B's/Habs only got attention because
    of the rivalry. Otherwise it was treated like the 1/8 mismatch it was.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Congrats Bruins.
    The Habs were completely outclassed.
    We did have a ridiculous amount of key players injured, mind you.

I've never been more embarrassed to be a Montrealer. The fans were absolutely pathetic. Sarcastically cheering when Price made a routine save from the red line was the worst thing I've ever seen.
    He played a great game, is under the most ridiculous scrutiny and playing behind a porous and tired (almost AHL quality) defense.
    The 4 goals scored were beauties, clearly not his fault.

Komisarek was f*cking idiotic. Without Markov, who makes his life seem easy, he's lost, slow and dumb.

I'm glad the Bruins put the f*cking dog to sleep.
    I can now enjoy hockey without the stress/media.

Go Caps, Datsyuk.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    (almost AHL quality) defense.

THIS IS WHY IT WAS NEVER A SERIES

sad but time to move on

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Still alive!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    OVECHKIN WHAT

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    OVECHKIN WHAT

• Options

Still alive!

FOCKIN' RIGHT!!

WATCH OUT, PENGUINOS!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

This sweep shit sucks.

10 days between games?

EAT ME

RAJ, STAND UP!!

RAJ, STAND UP!!

Man... what a game.. what a series. Love the Interstate grudge match. The first game looked like the Pens would sweep. And as of 16 min or the 2nd period today.. looked like Game 7. Great comeback.

Bring on the Devils.

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts
    All right I'll jump in this thread to ride for the Hawks. They looked dominant last night, but I'm positive this series will go to seven games, with the Hawks taking the seventh at the UC. The Flames have no match for the Hawks' speed, and the 'Bulin Wall will continue to stand tall.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ^^^ flashback jacket. nice. I feel 7 again.

Chara should win the Norris.
    Datsyuk should win all other awards

I'm psyched for the Was/NYR game today.

All right I'll jump in this thread to ride for the Hawks.

Hawks are my favorite non-Bruins team in the league. I was cheering for them last night!

I'm psyched for the Was/NYR game today.

80 degrees and gorgeous around here and I just want to stay in and watch hockey.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    This sweep shit sucks.

10 days between games?

EAT ME

w/ detroit

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts

Hawks are my favorite non-Bruins team in the league. I was cheering for them last night!
    Nice. I went to the Winter Classic and a few other games this season. It's been great to watch the whole city get behind this Hawks team. The United Center is packed every night, the deafening roar during the anthem, the One Goal ad campaign, etc. Tonight's game will be interesting, I'd really like to see the Hawks take one on the road in this series.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Good for the 'Hawks/Chicago. Deserved.

Cheering big time for the Caps tonight. Excited.
    SPORTZ

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    holy fusk holy fusk holy muthafusk!!!

caps win it with federov in the last 5 mins despite rangers owning them the whole game, thanks to a rookie goaltender!

hurricanes win it with 2 goals in the last 80 seconds!

PENS VS CAPS!!!! fusk ya! most exciting thing ever, this is the stanley cup final for me! this series will dominate youtube comments for years to come, "crosby sucks, ovy and the caps beat the penguins" or "ovy sucks, malking and the penguins beat the caps", couldn't write a better script. nhl's gotta love this.

Crosb and Malkin vs Ovy and we've seen the bad blood between them before!!! awesomeness!

GO CAPS (though i think penguins will take it)...caps defence and possesion was awful today

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Dammit! I missed all this hockey action due to paper writing. Oh well, onto the second round. Poll: which matchups are people looking forward to the most? This series for Detroit against the Ducks is worrisome. We were lucky to miss them in the first round, but they're obviously still red-hot. Pittsburgh-Washington though? Crosby v. Ovechkin is the NHL's wet, wet dream. New Jersey v. Boston would've been a fun one to see; for some reason I just don't understand Carolina hockey fans. Do they actually exist? Can we get a roll call? Not to suck up to SoulOnIce, but I would like to see Boston go far (i.e. to the finals). Come on. They deserve it.

^^^ I like the way you think ^^^

not mad at getting Carolina. We owned them this year but they are
    playing better these days. We haven't really fallen off either, though.

Certainly works in the B's favor to have Pitt or Wash eliminated after
    this round, assuming we make it through ourselves. Ideally for me, B's
    beat Carolina in 4 or 5, while Pitt beats Washington in 7. In triple OT

Both of those games tonight were crazy, although I only saw highlights
    on NJ/Carolina. At least I know there are only 2 days now until the next
    Bruins game. This past week has felt like an eternity!

Looking forward to watching all of these series. Hawks/Canucks could
    be a monster! And can the Ducks keep rolling when they come up against
    the big red machine? I can't believe that's the same Ducks team that the
    B's blew away and embarassed in Boston late in the season - they weren't
    exoected to make the playoffs at that point!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Gauranteed that Washington will get SMOKED by Pittsburgh. I can't believe how many times in the series with the Rangers I saw the Capitals come into the offensive zone, get a shot or whatever, lose possesion, NY breakout, and a Capitals forward ever so close to the guy but coasting. All-in-all, they have HORRIBLE back-checking and will get burned by hungrier and play-off experienced team in Pittsburgh.

People also boasted on how Washington totally out-shot the Rangers. Wow...yeah...clear open shots with no traffic in front of the net. That'll really put some playoff goals in. I've seen no Caps player do anything the way Holmstrom, Franzen, Chara, or many others who camp out to screen goalies.

The intensity of the Caps just boggles me. It's playoff hockey and everything seems so lacksidaisical. How many times did you see Avery up in the Varlamov's (who played awesome) face after the whistle and pussy defenceman like Erskine (who was shook the whole series) just standing there. No Capital player was mucking it up except Brashear (which is what he's for) but took the cheapie on Betts.

Congrats Pittsburgh on your second round 'bi'. Don't get me wrong, it's fun watching the Capitals, but they were totally dominated in game 7 for 2 full periods until they decided to play in the 3rd.

I was hoping New Jersey would make it through. Brodeur most be one pissed of Quebecois.

I'm hoping conference finals end up being Detroit - Chicago, Boston - Pittsburgh. Great hockey cities. I wouldn't mind if Vancouver made it though, but the original 6 rivalry in a conference finals will be great.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    I'm hoping conference finals end up being Detroit - Chicago, Boston - Pittsburgh. Great hockey cities. I wouldn't mind if Vancouver made it though, but the original 6 rivalry in a conference finals will be great.

The '95 conference final between Detroit and Chicago was awesome. Just sayin'. I'd like to see it again.

• penguins will take it

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Redwings in 4

HART SELKE LADY BYNG SWEEP #13

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Redwings in 4

Yikes. As much as I wish Redwings in 4, there's no way I can see it happening.

MAN-CRUSH ALERT

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    No doubt. I'm changing.

What a man.

I sincerely love that guy who does color commentary for the Wings.

Whenever I watch highlights of them he's all "whoa! hey, what the - wow!"