COLD AS ICE - Official 08-09 NHL Thread

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

WE WANT THE DEAD-WINGS. EAT A TURD SANDWICH MARTY HOSSA!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    your healthier and more deep than last year
    the veterans are choking on the other side
    i think they will be more physical/sluggish because of fatigue and the poens will capitalize on the powerplay but ive learned to never underestimate the wings
    also this all depends on which fleury shows up to the games

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

also this all depends on which Malkin shows up to the games

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Detroit's got it, guys. Don't be silly!
    Veterans choking?

I hope the Hawks are gonna fight back.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    I hope the Hawks are gonna fight back.
    Nope! Pi let's do this! Bring on the pens! Raj, your birds are going down to our birds.

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts
    Damn, that was a good game to finish the series. For a second there I had a glimmer of hope. Osgood came up huge, and the Hawks weren't savvy enough to hang with the veteran wings. Turnovers in their own zone really killed them the whole series. Overall it was a great season, though. We had the Winter Classic, won two playoff series, had every game on local TV, and packed the UC night in and night out. Next year we'll be back and ready to run the Western Conf.

It sucks there aren't anymore games, now I have to move on to being frustrated by the White Sox inept offense.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    RAJ, can you wake up your team?
    Will home-ice help?

I miss Datsyuk.
    Helm is bad-ass/fastest skater in the league.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I didn't want to bring up this thread knowing how much RAJ likes Pittsburgh. They are seriously getting out played though.

Game 3 prediction: Pittsburgh will win with bias'ed NHL ref'ing. Happened in the Chicago series for Detroit and will happen again. Gary Bettman needs the 'entertainment' of the NHL to go up, so he can't have a sweep. Zetterburg will for sure get an interference call on Crosby.

Helm coming through. Abdelkader coming through. Great time to be a Red Wings fan.

I didn't want to bring up this thread knowing how much RAJ likes Pittsburgh. They are seriously getting out played though.

Game 3 prediction: Pittsburgh will win with bias'ed NHL ref'ing. Happened in the Chicago series for Detroit and will happen again. Gary Bettman needs the 'entertainment' of the NHL to go up, so he can't have a sweep. Zetterburg will for sure get an interference call on Crosby.

Helm coming through. Abdelkader coming through. Great time to be a Red Wings fan.

Yeah. I'm bummed. They are playing much better than last year. But close is not cutting it anymore.

Detroit has a clutch and grab style of hockey that is seriously hindering our stars, not to mention Ozzy's unconscious goaltending and Fleury (Floppy) letting in soft goals.

Kind of hilarious how Bettman is pulling for the Pens (Malkin should have been suspended for instigating the fight at the end of Game 2). I don't blame him... this neutral zone trap style of hockey is boring! Spectator wise it's more fun to watch the speed and agility of the Pens and Blackhawks than the brawn of Detroit and Anaheim.

Oh Well.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Detroit is still the best skating/puck moving team in the league.
    I don't get this trap talk.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Yeah...I'm not getting this whole neutral zone trap thing you're talking about RAJ. Honestly, when's the last time you've seen all 5 players of Detroit sitting in the neutral zone just waiting for Pittsburgh to come into the zone? If anything, I've seen some really aggressive forechecking by Detroit in almost all series with 2-forward pressing pretty hard unless they're changing lines. Half the time, Pittsburgh can't even get out of the zone!

Pittsburgh fans better be thanking the NHL though and the really weak call in the 3rd for the go-ahead goal. I was pretty impressed by the ref'ing in the finals up until then, even with the 30-second Pittsburgh 'power-play' (6 men on the ice) that they didn't call. They were finally letting them play.

Oh well. I expected Pittsburgh to come out on fire last night and they did. But think about this, on a night where Pittsburgh came to play, and Detroit didn't, we walked into the dressing room 2-2 after 2-periods and Detroit out-shooting the Pens 26-11. That's on Detroit's BAD night!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    fleury showed up but the reffing was penbiased
    i love that team still but wings are superior
    most consistant sports dynasty ever potentially

Yeah...I'm not getting this whole neutral zone trap thing you're talking about RAJ. Honestly, when's the last time you've seen all 5 players of Detroit sitting in the neutral zone just waiting for

Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology, but the Wings remind me of the '95 Devils the way they interfere and impede... clutch and grab. It's not pretty hockey. Defense wins championships, I guess.

I have a feeling the Pens are going to take game 4 at the Igloo. Statistically speaking only one team in 30 years has come back from an 0 - 2 deficit to win the Finals. So the odds are against us... but F*ck it. We can hang with these guys. Just got to take charge and hit some muthafuckas and take advantage of these gifts from the refs.

• Options
    WIth Chicago out, I really want Pittsburgh to win it all.

Detriot is a beastly team though so Pittsburgh will have to be near perfect to pull it off. Some of these other Penguino dudes need to step up...like Satan (no devil).

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Satan is washed the fusk up.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    Just got to take charge and hit some muthafuckas

officiating issues aside, game 3 period 3 was the first time we (Pens) seemed to have an upper hand. I really hope they continue that style & play more physical. Detroit is a sick, sick team though and we really have to step our game way up to have a chance. Sucks because Pgh is a way better 'hockey town'.

Just got to take charge and hit some muthafuckas

officiating issues aside, game 3 period 3 was the first time we (Pens) seemed to have an upper hand. I really hope they continue that style & play more physical. Detroit is a sick, sick team though and we really have to step our game way up to have a chance. Sucks because Pgh is a way better 'hockey town'.

We are now anointed as "hockeytahn"

Gonna be a make our break game tonight for the 'guins. Datsyuk and Draper are back making the Wings even more stacked.

That being said, if we can keep Zetterburg from covering pucks in the crease, I think we'll be OK.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    DATSYUK IS BACK.
    SOUND THE ALARRRRRRRM.

BIG action from the Pens halfway through the second!!

Shorty by Stahl followed by the Malkin-Crosby 2-on-1 ... WOW!

BEDLAM. BALLA MANSION IS SHAKING.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    now THATS what i was talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now THATS what i was talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attn: Red Wing fans. You're veterans are tired. Crosby bustin' out of that L7 square.

Malkin' = MVP. He f*cking showed up this year. Hitting folks and playing with a ton of heart.

We must win at the Joe Saturday. Fleury ready for the pinball boards.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    GAMEOVER

GAMEOVER

Holy shit. Wings are SONNING US!

I blame it on the curse of NBC.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Datsyuk is too good for this league.

Come on, Pens ... I want a GAME SEVEN

Penguins were over-confident going into that game. They started to believe their own hype.

Plus it doesn't help that guys go on record saying the Wings looked "tired".

As if the return of Datsyuk and another game at home wasn't enough motivation.

The Penguins shot their load in the first 7 minutes, flying all over the ice and but not getting that crucial first goal. After that, they were rattled.

Plus... they don't deserve the cup after that sorry display of zero class in the 3rd period after the game was out of reach. They looked like a pack of cheap shot artists.

At this point, All they need is a miracle (cue Mike & the Mechanics).

• Options
    I think it will go 7. But the Wings will take it. Too many big game performers on the Detroit side.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I think a game 7 would be nice for wings fans. Didn't they win the cup in Pittsburgh last year?