NBA PLAYOFFS'08 ALL CAPS EDITION

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    That team averaged less than 100 ppg and 16 3pa. What's your definition?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I dont measure it numerically. They got to the Finals w/out a Post player,and w/ out the Run n Gun. What else do you need? And they did it w/out smothering Defense.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Dude, the Dallas team that went against Miami in the Finals were NOT a Stickly Run-N-Gun team.

This is exactly my point.

I dont measure it numerically. They got to the Finals w/out a Post player,and w/ out the Run n Gun. What else do you need? And they did it w/out smothering Defense.

Good points. I would say that they were a fairly predictable but gifted team, but still stands out as a jump-shooting halfcourt team where you knew who would do most of the scoring but couldn't stop them regardless. To me, dynamic means that on any given night, someone can emerge from the starting lineup or bench and make significant contributions. Dallas does this at times; Phoenix and Golden State are closer to this definition. To me, this stands as one part of being a dynamic team (whatever that means).

Good points. I would say that they were a fairly predictable but gifted team, but still stands out as a jump-shooting halfcourt team where you knew who would do most of the scoring but couldn't stop them regardless. To me, dynamic means that on any given night, someone can emerge from the starting lineup or bench and make significant contributions. Dallas does this at times; Phoenix and Golden State are closer to this definition. To me, this stands as one part of being a dynamic team (whatever that means).

Still, how does a "Fairly Predictable" team rack up so many wins?
    There are FAR from methodical and plodding. They were bulit by Nellie, the antithesis of "predictable."

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Dudes.

Dallas under Nellie = strictly run and gun

Under Avery = still great in transition...halfcourt sets usually ended up w/ hoisted jumpers. dallas' slashers mostly were content w/ midrange jumpers. the offense was so stagnant this year, that should be obvious to anyone who watched a modicum of mavs games. the 4 was not a btb player unless bass was in, none of the 5s were offensive threats whatsoever.

I'm excited to see what kind of offense they can run with a full season of Kidd and some new offensive schemes.

Batmon, when the Mavs had that good run to the Finals, the slashers were actually slashing.

There are FAR from methodical and plodding. They were bulit by Nellie, the antithesis of "predictable."

It happens all the time. The Mavericks have a ton of talent. Dirk, Nash, Terry, Howard--they're all gifted players who make the game easy.

Unfortunately, Nellie's team took a detour when Avery took over.

It happens all the time. The Mavericks have a ton of talent. Dirk, Nash, Terry, Howard--they're all gifted players who make the game easy.

I thought Nellie left cause he saw signs of future failure.

A year or two ago, they had a really balanced attack. That's what I meant by dynamic. They were one of the deepest teams (if not the deepest), and they could score in all sorts of ways (i.e. push the tempo, slow it down, dish and drive, Dampier tip-ins, Harris breaking down the D, Stackhouse making threes.)

They had a LOT of scoring options with Terry, Nowitzki, Harris, and Howard doing most of the scoring. Van Exel and Stackhouse would come off the bench to contribute. And Dampier and Diop were doing their thing in the inside. They were deep. And "dynamic".

I thought Nellie left cause he saw signs of future failure.

Interesting. I figured it was because of Cuban's desire to be involved in the personnel so heavily. Maybe a bit of both?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Both teams commitment to win now has been a disaster for both teams.

Both teams had great runs and Dallas even made it to the Finals, so something worked. I don't think you can call their moves disasters until a couple seasons to see what they're able to do from right now. Some teams are able to continue to stay in the playoffs while rebuilding, others just fall apart.

Nellie left because he got tired of Cuban, plain and simple. He sat back and cashed fat checks for a while then he got the coaching bug again. The rift was LARGELY due to Cuban passing on re-signing Nash.

Both teams commitment to win now has been a disaster for both teams.

Both teams had great runs and Dallas even made it to the Finals, so something worked. I don't think you can call their moves disasters until a couple seasons to see what they're able to do from right now. Some teams are able to continue to stay in the playoffs while rebuilding, others just fall apart.

Point taken. I do think that the age of both teams will mitigate their efforts to rebuild though.

• Dallas should get rid of Dirk and Start BASS..The kid is a certified Beast!(plus he plays like a true power forward..Shit keep Dirk and trade bass to the Knicks!

Shit keep Dirk and trade bass to the Knicks!

Shit keep Dirk and trade bass to the Knicks!

What, you don't like Jerome James and Malik Rose?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Motown puttin' the hammer down.

• why is D.rose on this 2008 nba mvp banner above??

• What, you don't like Jerome James and Malik Rose?

o yeah Jerome James has given us some great moments..definitley worth the $$$$

• unityunity 179 Posts
    PHILLY VS DETROIT

i think DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETROIT can do it.

sayeth SOUL.ON.ICE

OH FUCKIN' SNAP!

Hey, I gave it a shot.

Right now I'm just looking for the C's to handle their biz.

Big night in the Motor City, though - NHL and NBA teams both
    win their series with dominant performances. The Red Wings went OFF.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Hey, I gave it a shot.

Right now I'm just looking for the C's to handle their biz.

Big night in the Motor City, though - NHL and NBA teams both
    win their series with dominant performances. The Red Wings went OFF.
    i was going to start a detroit sports appreciation thread, but i fell asleep.

why is D.rose on this 2008 nba mvp banner above??

Word....

color the commish officially shook.

still close, though. That call on Pierce was

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    color the commish officially shook.

You're right-and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

(Save Seattle's Sonics related)

That Joe Johnson 3 was huge, after the four straight Boston offensive rebs.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    No way.

LET'S GO HAWKS.

Bibby's shot selection is though.

Josh Childress is the man.

Marvin Williams is dope.

Dumbest 3-point attempt in NBA history.