Movie-strut reccomendations

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    With a Friend Like Harry is cool, although I was absolutely blown away by the director's next film, Lemming.

this is in my queue, maybe I will bump it up.

Definitely a good move, especially for anyone who likes the best films of Lynch, Haneke, Polanski, and Chabrol. This is very close to that level.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Oooooh yea!

What's that other French film - girl works in an office, falls for a temp who is sleeping in the copy room, they start doing crimes together? That one was good, too.

I know Haneke gets mentioned around here a lot, but I wanted to add Time of the Wolf cause it's usually off the radar:

Oooooh yea!

What's that other French film - girl works in an office, falls for a temp who is sleeping in the copy room, they start doing crimes together? That one was good, too.

I know Haneke gets mentioned around here a lot, but I wanted to add Time of the Wolf cause it's usually off the radar:

Time of the Wolf is great, altho does it hold up on video? So much pitch-black screenage...

Can't ID that other film of the top of me head. At first I thought you were talking about this one for some reason, but the only similarities are French, girl, office. Not for the weak-stomached, btw...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

It was fine on DVD, actually the pitch black parts added to all the confusion around what the hell was going on, which I liked about the film. Man thought it was such a bleak film, but I thought it was a pretty optimistic look at humanity in the face of adversity - more than Lord of the Flies!

Read My Lips!!!! Cause she's hard of hearing, if not totally deaf - a huge part of the freaking plot - lol. For a movie I like, I sure did forget a lot!

It was fine on DVD, actually the pitch black parts added to all the confusion around what the hell was going on, which I liked about the film. Man thought it was such a bleak film, but I thought it was a pretty optimistic look at humanity in the face of adversity - more than Lord of the Flies!

Read My Lips!!!! Cause she's hard of hearing, if not totally deaf - a huge part of the freaking plot - lol. For a movie I like, I sure did forget a lot!

Aha! I saw Read My Lips as well, and... forgot it, as well. Remember liking it well enough, tho.

And yeah, I feel very similar about Time of the Wolf as I do about Saramago's novel Blindness (much-discussed on this site recently) -- utterly bleak post-apocalyptic vision tempered by oddly hopeful -- but far from pat or insulting -- endings. Wish Haneke were doing the adaptation of Blindness, his aesthetic would suit that book to a t, but Mereilles should do a good job as well.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

YES.

One of my favourite movies of all time, so achingly beautiful both visually and story wise. The 'sequel' 2046 is worth watching as well for anyone who loves ITMFL - pretty much a mess as far as plot is concerned but still boasts gorgeous visuals.

The music in this film is awesome. Nat King Cole singing in spanish. I also loved Maggie's cheongsam. The Criterion dvd is essential. They have a great interview with the actors in Toronto.

I need to give a nod to this one, too. Faye Wong is dope.

• my hammie scooter from my childhood knew every word from that wongfaye cranberries joint. and no he doesnt speak chinese nor japanese for that matter. he just phonetically got it down.

he also used to do a real dope chow yun fat impersonation a la hard boiled with cigarette falling out of mouth speaking that canto mish mash. shit was awesome!

chow yun fat

hunk!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    my hammie scooter from my childhood knew every word from that wongfaye cranberries joint. and no he doesnt speak chinese nor japanese for that matter. he just phonetically got it down.

he also used to do a real dope chow yun fat impersonation a la hard boiled with cigarette falling out of mouth speaking that canto mish mash. shit was awesome!

I learnt the words to the cranberries cover from karaoke. I prefer the Mandarin version over Cantonese.

This was the best movie I've seen in a loooong time:

• are you folks up on that edison chen sex scandal thing? im somewhat intrigued by chinese tabloid scandals. theyre always so over the top and awesome.

however, by american standards, the edison chen thing is kinda tame.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    are you folks up on that edison chen sex scandal thing? im somewhat intrigued by chinese tabloid scandals. theyre always so over the top and awesome.

however, by american standards, the edison chen thing is kinda tame.

Gillian Cheung issued an apology yesterday for being involved. I haven't been keeping up, but, because he's Canadian born, the media here has been mentioning it more than they would otherwise.

• I can be OK with nothing happening in a film, but I really wanted...NEEDED something - anything - to happen in Second Floor. Maybe because I watched it on TV all the atmosphere escaped me?

i agree. i saw it in the theatre and even with all atmosphere and slick imagery, i got bored with it really easily. I wasn't all that into Russian Ark either

here are my random recommendations:

i love elliot gould in this

this japanese movie is part gangster flick western worship part wtf. there is also some animation in there. it's bizarre, it's fun

and the Limey. I know i mention it all the time, but it's because it's enjoyable to me on every viewing. terence stamp aka general zod plays a badass but he's old. everyone in this movie is old. it's a weird movie because it is a crime-thriller flick, but it is very quiet and atmospheric most of the time. i think that makes it a little unusual. that and the old cast.

good picks, edith.

p.s. I remember the audio commentary on the DVD for the Limey being particularly lively and worthwhile.

your post reminds me of this Kurosawa's High and Low - I think you've mentioned it a few times - great film

as is Stray Dog

• p.s. I remember the audio commentary on the DVD for the Limey being particularly lively and worthwhile.

is that the one where soderbergh and the writer call everyone a motherfucker? (for ex: [random guy appears on screen] "that guy is a total motherfucker")

• your post reminds me of this Kurosawa's High and Low - I think you've mentioned it a few times - great film

yes, one of my favorites. that train scene is intense!

p.s. I remember the audio commentary on the DVD for the Limey being particularly lively and worthwhile.

is that the one where soderbergh and the writer call everyone a motherfucker? (for ex: [random guy appears on screen] "that guy is a total motherfucker")

possibly... it is soderbergh and the screenwriter, and at several points the writer pointedly critizes what soderbergh did with his script and they have a fairly raw debate about it in which feelings get seemingly get hurt and rehurt. might have been an act, I dunno.

also, unless my DVD player was acting up that day, there are weird echo effects and vocal loops attached to that audio track at times.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Lots of interesting reccomendations. Real excited to check out some of these. Terence stamp is definitely one of my favorite actors.

I'll definitely co-sign these ones.

The Wicker man
    Mystery Train
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
    Anything Shaw brothers related.
    Time of the wolf.

Lot's of stuff I need to get to renting though.

- spidey

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

this japanese movie is part gangster flick western worship part wtf. there is also some animation in there. it's bizarre, it's fun

This is one weird ass movie, but I liked it. I like Seijun Suzuki. I think he also did "Tokyo Drifter". He lost his job over "Branded To Kill". The studio said his movies made no sense or money. His recent film "Princess Raccoon" is a trip.

• edubedub 715 Posts

just watched this over the weekend. as you can see it's the "original" French 60's version of "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (I haven't even seen the US version).

The French title is "Plein Soleil", which makes me wonder how they came up with the US title.

The version I watched was dubbed in English, which was surprisingly ok - subtitles also in English (although they don't match the dubbed dialogue!?).

• just watched this over the weekend. as you can see it's the "original" French 60's version of "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (I haven't even seen the US version).

The French title is "Plein Soleil", which makes me wonder how they came up with the US title.

The version I watched was dubbed in English, which was surprisingly ok - subtitles also in English (although they don't match the dubbed dialogue!?).

hell yes! alain delon = superfox

i watched the US version of The Talented Mr Ripley this past month. Matt Damon is completely convincing as a creep, it was almost unwatchable at times cause his character makes you so uncomfortable. the weird thing is that you kind of root for him in a way because the other people are unsympathetic & entitled pricks who are cruel to him. it's a weird movie, i was relieved when it was over. that's not to say it was a bad movie, i guess it was just effectively creepy.

anyway other delon flicks:

le samourai

&

un flic

and le cercle rouge

• Damn, didn't take long for this to derail. I'm still interested in some reccomendations.

- spidey
    ]

i finally seen Trouble Man and Coffy and those movies are both just so fun to watch .
    planet of the vampires is a good one
    futurama - benders big score came out november or something and is really funny
    an american wearwolf in london is a dope older movie
    also action jackson . cannot go wrong with Carl Weathers

all those are classics for me and should b seen

le samourai

and le cercle rouge

major

Melville's one of my all-time favorites. Fassbinder's American Soldier is worth a look for people looking for cold European riffs on US films noir...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    are you folks up on that edison chen sex scandal thing? im somewhat intrigued by chinese tabloid scandals. theyre always so over the top and awesome.

Just saw a pix of Cecilia Cheung spead eagle. That's one hell of a bush. Hello kitty!

Seriously, tho, I loved her in "One Night In Mongkok". That's another good film. Derek Lee's best.

• i recently sat here in front of youtube with my dude, m*d and we watched boulevard nights in 6 separate installments and the dude hadnt seen it in like 20 years and he still knew every word "come on holmes, ur turning into a big chavala". its an ok movie made even better by the awesome shots of east la and old whittier blvd. plus, a japanese dude wrote it! plus the added commentary of my hammie trying to act out each scene. classic!

RANKERS!!!

Is this out on DVD? I only have a dubbed VHS copy.

• um, yeah, thats more what i was talking about. dont care about the public apologies, just the pubic analogies.

• i recently sat here in front of youtube with my dude, m*d and we watched boulevard nights in 6 separate installments and the dude hadnt seen it in like 20 years and he still knew every word "come on holmes, ur turning into a big chavala". its an ok movie made even better by the awesome shots of east la and old whittier blvd. plus, a japanese dude wrote it! plus the added commentary of my hammie trying to act out each scene. classic!

RANKERS!!!

ahaha! cant get dude to stop saying that!

RANKERS!!!

BTW, that just reminded of this STRAIGHT UP WTF?! outtake my old roommate stumbled upon a couple years back. We had tears in our eyes from laughing so hard.

0:46 mark

• my local video store has it on dvd. i think artisan distributes it, i'll check.